Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

"Doing a Wolves"

The Pie Poker

Reaction score
Probably doesn't warrant a thread but something made me smile this morning so thought id share...

I was listening to the Absolute Radio breakfast show and Matt Dyson was getting all excited about the season starting tomorrow (he's a Forest fan). He was going on about some exciting Portuguese players they've signed and hopefully Forrest "doing a Wolves" this season.

Understandably a few Champ clubs are looking at what we did and hoping to replicate it. Villa and Forrest and prob others too (lost interest in Championship so not a clue who else is "doing a Wolves")

Flattering I guess, a bit like how every team outside the Prem top 6 (including us) now dream of "doing a Leicester".

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Super agents won’t want to replicate what their doing with us because they still want inflated prices we are lucky we found a good way of doing it we still get used as bait in deals ie cancelo or talisca

The Pie Poker

Reaction score
I cant see anyone doing it again now everybody is at it. The genie is out the bottle.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nice to be the one setting a positive trend for once as opposed to us dreaming of emulating the likes of Everton, Swansea and Albion

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doing a wolves was a one off I reckon , no one will replicate what wolves done especially villa , first you need a manager and infrastructure like wolves which none of these teams have.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Hehe. :)

Too right. These things work as a sort of surprise action, when all or many are at it it looses impact.

Good luck being ‘special/unique’ in the Chump this season! :)

shaygriff

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Are they doing "a Wolves", like last season or the season before? It's not enough to just use George and bring in some Young talent. You need the right manager and infrastructure (as mentioned before). Nobody wanted to "a Wolves" when we had Walter and Lambert

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno and mendes have a very close relationship from what I've read/heard. I think nuno was mendes' first ever client for a start. I doubt any other team will be able to replicate what wolves have just done. There will be pale imitations no doubt, but im sorry to say there aren't enough neves', jota's, Ivans or helders to go around.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Root and branch .
This club needed a complete change and so do many others.
It's not a superficial makeover.
Also with great thanks to Morgan and Moxey - they left behind a blank piece of paper .:)

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They don't understand what we did. They are doing a Mendez whereas we did a Nuno/Mendez/Fosun probabĺy in that order.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
... with great thanks to Morgan and Moxey - they left behind a blank piece of paper .:)

That is true and it is a big advantage not having an overpaid bomb squad to deal with.

That was also the case when Merlin took over in 2006. What was it in 2006, just 13 professionals on the books after Moxey had let all the contracts expire?

Having a clueless penny pinching CEO does have its advantages once a decade. Christ the pain you have to suffer though!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
T
I cant see anyone doing it again now everybody is at it. The genie is out the bottle.
The genie has been out of the bottle for best part of a century.
Money usually brings success and Wolves have money.
But you have to spend it.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's in the Mirror too. Who will be next to do a Wolves on review of the Champ Season.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably doesn't warrant a thread but something made me smile this morning so thought id share...

I was listening to the Absolute Radio breakfast show and Matt Dyson was getting all excited about the season starting tomorrow (he's a Forest fan). He was going on about some exciting Portuguese players they've signed and hopefully Forrest "doing a Wolves" this season.

Understandably a few Champ clubs are looking at what we did and hoping to replicate it. Villa and Forrest and prob others too (lost interest in Championship so not a clue who else is "doing a Wolves")

Flattering I guess, a bit like how every team outside the Prem top 6 (including us) now dream of "doing a Leicester".
West Brom are also doing a Wolves by the looks of their last two signings. Wolves circa 2012-13.

The Pie Poker

Reaction score
T

The genie has been out of the bottle for best part of a century.
Money usually brings success and Wolves have money.
But you have to spend it.

Plenty of Champ teams, including us, have thrown millions at promotion, and failed or even relegated.

The way we did it, the model or blueprint or whatever you wanna call it, was unique and a 1st. That's what they're all trying to emulate.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Its not about just gerrin players in,to do a wolves you also need a to get a new manager and top class support team.We have them in abundance.There ay none left for the other teams.:D

D

Deleted member 3545

Forest fan phoned in talksport was on about their signings from the mendes stable by the sounds of it they have signed some exciting youngsters.

Derby Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't fancy Bruce or Karanka to do the job to be fair.

Both have promotions on their records but neither of them are expansive or capable of harnessing the technical ability of foreign imports or existing British players (Brereton etc)

Bruce will be gone by Christmas because when they go on a bad run you can usually make it 4-6 weeks long. Forest will flatter to deceive every so often they'll pull out a Molineux display but then struggle again.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Mendes and Nuno are good friends
View attachment 6746
can you imagine potato head and mendes?

"They're gonna try a Wolves"

index.php

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plenty of Champ teams, including us, have thrown millions at promotion, and failed or even relegated.

The way we did it, the model or blueprint or whatever you wanna call it, was unique and a 1st. That's what they're all trying to emulate.
Your right of course and I realized that as I typed but I meant (and I should have said this), you have to spend more and wiser than the other guys.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You need 'the mendes full package' to do what we did, players, backroom staff and manager, formation, tactics. We tried 'the mendes basic' package which forest, villa etc... Have subscribed to, which we tried in fosun year one. This package doesn't work because you still have dinosaur managers trying to shoehorn mendes players to play with mccarthy/Jackett muck and nettles players in an 'english' 4 4 2 and ending up dropping caveleiros and saisses in favour of savilles and weimanns

D

Deleted member 3545

You need 'the mendes full package' to do what we did, players, backroom staff and manager, formation, tactics. We tried 'the mendes basic' package which forest, villa etc... Have subscribed to, which we tried in fosun year one. This package doesn't work because you still have dinosaur managers trying to shoehorn mendes players to play with mccarthy/Jackett muck and nettles players in an 'english' 4 4 2 and ending up dropping caveleiros and saisses in favour of savilles and weimanns
I wouldnt say Karanka is a dinosaur manager

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this is a load of tosh. All we did was use the service of a super agent... hardly revolutionary. The key aspects of the game haven’t changed. You still need to recruit good players, have a top notch coach and back room team with a clear footballing philosophy and be able to quickly generate and maintain an excellent team spirit. Anyone would think agents have just been invented.

W

wolveshunt

Nice to be the one setting a positive trend for once as opposed to us dreaming of emulating the likes of Everton, Swansea and Albion
Who has said that we should be emulating swansea and albion? Everton have finished in the top 6 four times in the past ten seasons....I would gladly take that for us. They have only finished outside of the top 7 three times in the past 14 seasons.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
They said this on Sky earlier, Scott Minty said are Forest doing a Wolves from last year, or the year before? Cheeky ***** lol

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Any real quality will come to the too division and the fodder going to the chump to gain experience.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who has said that we should be emulating swansea and albion? Everton have finished in the top 6 four times in the past ten seasons....I would gladly take that for us. They have only finished outside of the top 7 three times in the past 14 seasons.

It was a past reference to Jez. Don't you remember?

Back
Top Bottom