Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Does Matt Hobbs and cohorts read the Mix?

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was never half. A smaller number posting a lot.

In fact wasn't there a poll where the vast majority (around 75% comes to mind) voted that they wanted him to stay.
It was a very vocal minority. But then social media fans are very much dwarfed by attending fans.

I've lost count of the times I've read online that the team/manager/owner were gonna feel the brunt at a home match only for nothing to materialize in the actual stadium with the actual fans.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably read it when half the forum wanted Nuno to go now begging for a return...turned out well that one.

Which forum? Not this one. There was a poll which had around 5% wanting Nuno gone. Which is nothing special as if you did the same poll at every other club, you'd find probably 17 teams in the league with more than 5% wanting their manager gone on any typical day.

What I remember most at that time was not so much the moaning about Nuno. But the moaning about the moaning about Nuno! Loads of posts talking about "so-called" fans and haters. Yet only 2 or 3 (admittedly very vocal) who really thought Nuno's time was up.

That's here. I don't do other social media , I gather it was worse there, but still, I bet it was only a small but noisy minority.

It's also become clear that Nuno's departure never was anything to do with fans. Shi had fallen out with him so he was going anyway. If Shi is reading this... please go, so we can have a realistic chance of getting Nuno back. Lets see if it works ....

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The post prior to GON being appointed was 90% against so that's possibly a worse backlash than when Bruce almost got the job.

I don't know anyone who wanted him and can only.see himmbeing sacked by Christmas, totally the wrong appointment on all levels and the fans will quickly lose patience if this losing run alongside dire football and in game tactics continues.

The club must have been aware of this sentiment and how a lot of us are feeling now.
Some of that was probably just that they wanted someone else - I know my “no” vote was because I wanted potter or McKenna.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was a very vocal minority. But then social media fans are very much dwarfed by attending fans.

I've lost count of the times I've read online that the team/manager/owner were gonna feel the brunt at a home match only for nothing to materialize in the actual stadium with the actual fans.
I will rant on here. I am supportive of the team in the ground.

McSteen

Groupie
Reaction score
Went to a meet and greet with Solbakken when he was manager for Wolves in 2012.
When asked, he told he didn't read about himself or Wolves in newspapers or online, but his 15 year old son back in Norway was reading the forums. When calling home to Norway after a loss, his son could say things like: "Dad, now they hate you again" :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hobbs should be sacked alongside GON for deciding upon such a ****ing terrible appointment. Beyond moronic.
The fact that he didn't even go all out for a striker was already a sacking offence. That joke offer to the Italian club a few hours before the window closed was as bad as any Moxey stunt.

Still, he's got "Gaz" three wages of guaranteed wages.

oldgold4ever

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Dear Mr. Hobbs,
It's not working but obviously, you know better.
Yours faithfully,
A clueless fan

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully we get some great news that Fosun are gone soon .

Groundhog Day last few seasons where they have lost interest for whatever way you dress it .

Then to sell your better players and replace them with bang average Billy is ****e . Top it off with someone who is a shocking manager that we get head of recruitment to appoint.

Just **** off Fosun please and Hobbs .

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, we know that they do, so:

SACK O’NEIL. Sorry Gary, it’s not personal, but you’re blatantly not a premier league manager.
Go earn your stripes down the leagues somewhere.

Also, Tuesday offers a fine tapping-up opportunity. Make sure you invite McKenna for a nice cup of tea and a friendly contract, whoops, chat.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hobbs should be sacked alongside GON for deciding upon such a ****ing terrible appointment. Beyond moronic.
Worrying thing is if we sack O Neil we’ll end up with Rob Edwards

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course they don’t. And they shouldn’t need to.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They most definitely do read it but (rightly) ignore 99% of the knee jerk reaction otherwise, we’d have a squad bigger than Chelsea, a stadium the size of Wembley, be on our 20th manager since they brought the club, Kilman would have a 20 year contract and we’d have a debt Birmingham Council would envy

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Extended interview with Matt Hobbs on Wolves Weekly.......... recorded after Man City

Mikey Burrows is way better at doing podcasts than commentating. A good listen.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mikey Burrows is way better at doing podcasts than commentating. A good listen.

I tend not to listen to the first team commentary, but I've always thought he was good for the u21s/u18s

Agreed, a good listen though

Last edited:

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Matt Hobbs said to Burrows he isnt on social media, but he also said his mom is, and she reports things back to him, he sounded tongue in cheek tbf.
So keep it clean guys, Mother Hobbs is on The Mix lol

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Extended interview with Matt Hobbs on Wolves Weekly.......... recorded after Man City

He does present himself well, and does genuinely seem to be trying to be open and honest. His comments about how we have played so far this season are pretty much on the money. One of our problems has been lack of fitness for sure. They are on that it seems.
I don't know if Gary O'Neil is a good appointment but stepping back a bit from all the emotion it wouldn't have been an easy situation for anybody to walk into really. He has not had a great deal of luck until maybe Saturday either. I guess Hobbs sees more of what goes on than we do but one comment he made about how hard he is working rings true. He looks like he looks like someone who has put a lot of hours in during his press conferences in the last week or two

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which forum? Not this one. There was a poll which had around 5% wanting Nuno gone. Which is nothing special as if you did the same poll at every other club, you'd find probably 17 teams in the league with more than 5% wanting their manager gone on any typical day.

What I remember most at that time was not so much the moaning about Nuno. But the moaning about the moaning about Nuno! Loads of posts talking about "so-called" fans and haters. Yet only 2 or 3 (admittedly very vocal) who really thought Nuno's time was up.

That's here. I don't do other social media , I gather it was worse there, but still, I bet it was only a small but noisy minority.

It's also become clear that Nuno's departure never was anything to do with fans. Shi had fallen out with him so he was going anyway. If Shi is reading this... please go, so we can have a realistic chance of getting Nuno back. Lets see if it works ....
Without wishing to dredge up old ground I suspect far more than 5 percent wanted Nuno gone. I was one of them at the time. It was still at a time that I thought we might have people in charge who could have made a good decision about his replacement...

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That podcast was a great listen. It seems like there’s a plan in place for the next few seasons which he alludes to… that’s all well and good but Hobbs will clearly be powerless if Fosun decide they want us to have another net profit season, even a net zero season - so it all needs to not be taken as gospel.

What I did pick up on was him saying that we are back in control of our own transfers so we are able to sign the right players (paraphrasing a little). Seems like maybe the Guedes deal, in particular, has been the straw breaking the camel’s back.

Anyway, I’d recommend everybody listen, it’s pretty good.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like Hobbs but not sure speaking to the media is the best idea for him (or the club) currently. So many fans are desperate to hear from the hierarchy but as sure as eggs are eggs the next consecutive losses will result in this latest interview being pulled apart and analysed to prove he’s no good. Similarly with GON (though he has to do the press conferences), if I was in either position I’d not be saying a word.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like Hobbs but not sure speaking to the media is the best idea for him (or the club) currently. So many fans are desperate to hear from the hierarchy but as sure as eggs are eggs the next consecutive losses will result in this latest interview being pulled apart and analysed to prove he’s no good. Similarly with GON (though he has to do the press conferences), if I was in either position I’d not be saying a word.

These interviews are often good to get interesting snippets of information.
Before Lage only one team outran us, when Lage was here we did not outrun a single team.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I appreciated the interview, I’m also glad he doesn’t put too much weight (if any) into the bipolar nature of Wolves social media.

He clearly has a strategy, the finer details of which he clearly hasn’t divulged for obvious reasons, but it’s clear that he’s been handed the keys to the palace. It’s no longer a case of ringing Mendes and seeing what he’s got left for us in August. That can only be viewed as a positive, as it wasn’t sustainable long term.

Obviously given the financial difficulties faced this summer as a hangover from several very expensive Mendes duds in previous years with minimal to no return, we won’t see that strategy really come into full effect until next summer, providing we are still a Premier League club.

Good luck to him, hopefully GON can figure things out and we’ll have more performances like Man City rather than the Luton first half. At the very least, it seems clear the players are right behind him.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
These interviews are often good to get interesting snippets of information.
Before Lage only one team outran us, when Lage was here we did not outrun a single team.
I thought it was after Lage, under Lopetegui, only one team out ran us and then we out ran nobody with Lage. Now we are out running everybody so far.

I could be wrong but under Nuno we defended with a low block and, especially in the last season, I didn’t think we ran an awful lot.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yea I’d agree with this, especially with Hobbs. Fosun could turn round and change the goalposts again at the end of the season when it’s been implied that this season is one to just get through before we can spend again. This interview and Jeff’s letter would get dragged up within seconds.

As for O’Neil, he just needs to reign himself in a little during interviews. He’s got to give the press something but he could do with being a little less forthcoming.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yea I’d agree with this, especially with Hobbs. Fosun could turn round and change the goalposts again at the end of the season when it’s been implied that this season is one to just get through before we can spend again. This interview and Jeff’s letter would get dragged up within seconds.

As for O’Neil, he just needs to reign himself in a little during interviews. He’s got to give the press something but he could do with being a little less forthcoming.
I don’t think GON is a natural in front of camera, leads him to run his mouth more than he needs to and I suppose in his defence when things aren’t going well and you’re getting labelled a PE teacher (which he will have undoubtedly either seen himself or been told) human nature is to defend yourself and explain more than you need to

Reactions: Ned

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well said. I hate seeing our backroom team speak to the press. Silence + competence is the ideal mixture of traits that I would ask of them

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think GON is a natural in front of camera, leads him to run his mouth more than he needs to and I suppose in his defence when things aren’t going well and you’re getting labelled a PE teacher (which he will have undoubtedly either seen himself or been told) human nature is to defend yourself and explain more than you need to
I remember Lage being the same in front of the press too. But I remember people used to moan at Nuno with all the “solutions” comments. Can’t we just find somebody in the middle??

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well said. I hate seeing our backroom team speak to the press. Silence + competence is the ideal mixture of traits that I would ask of them
Yea, I’ve never really understood the need for such transparency which fans demand.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yea, I’ve never really understood the need for such transparency which fans demand.
There’s an obsession with it for some reason and it’s so pointless because as soon as things start going sideways they’re over analysed and used to prove a point.

The round table ones in the summer of 22 were something I’ve never seen another club do but in the end just became a tool to bash the participants with.

Reactions: Ned

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s an obsession with it for some reason and it’s so pointless because as soon as things start going sideways they’re over analysed and used to prove a point.

The round table ones in the summer of 22 were something I’ve never seen another club do but in the end just became a tool to bash the participants with.
Entitlement. No other PL club shares with the fans as much as Wolves have. I love the “one pack” stuff but there’s a line to draw.

Back
Top Bottom