Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Do we expect a very different summer window?

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
big summer likely to keep cunha but will lose neto

Although i expect if people have the money cunha will be very much on top of lists

was our best player first half only one who continues to drive and actually acted like a player should when trying to prevent a goal sprinted a whole pitch and took antony out After nearly playing a full game

Rodrigo Gomes
Yuri Alberto

there will be an interesting window

with also chiquinho to come back and lets see how noha and enso are looking.

I think Mosquera will be in the XI come first game. Strong quick combative.

Doyle will be purchased

Big cull i expect sasa, fabio, guedes, podence, cundle all will go

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Too hard to predict. Dynamic change happening at the moment in for the transfer world.

Podence,guedes, Silva, Sasa are the ones we need to get rid of.

Mosquera and Chiquinho will be good additions.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks. So that's a massive change really. Going from a potential to make big losses (if we wanted to) into having to make a substantial profit (assuming other costs don't amount to 30%). If I've got it right we're already in 90% for UEFA aren't we, so seems a bit odd to start at 90% next season rather than go one year behind?
I dont think we are already the 90% pretty sure in fact
I know our FFP rules and UEFA differ greatly at the moment,and if by some miracle we did get into Europe next year we automatically fail their rules given our last 2 seasons losses and get hit with another fine lol

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How long is the "forseeable future" as quite honestly I havn't got a clue on where Wolverhampton Wanderers are regarding finances?
There's speculation and counter speculation about PSR, FFP and the club being prepared for sale.

So this forsseable future could be a year, two years or more for all I know.
My mind tells me that we will need to sell before we can buy, so if that is the case Neto and maybe Cunha and Ait Nouri will be saleable assets come the summer, so that money can be generated for possible purchases.
As long as FFP is standing then we will be selling first buying second.

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score
If look at the last 3 transfer windows not all transfers but we have got Cunha, Sarabia, Dawson, Lemina (x 2), Bentley, Boubs, Bentley, Doc, Doyle, S. Bueno, Enso, JRB.

All except Lemina Jr and Enso are regularly involved. Very few GON picks - he's got a tune (some only flashes but lots of squad are attracting interest of other clubs) out of all except Fabio and Sasa (the one that's most disappointing). I think this is important as it might persuade Fosun that Hobbs and GON not going to throw away any more money given to them.

At the same time, the Nuno's squad have departed and work in progress of the fairly disastrous summer 2020 - summer 2022 transfers.

Neto to go - such a vital job to replace him. I don't think we have anyone growing through at the moment. But can see promise elsewhere.

I don't think RAN is quite at the top of his market and hope he can have another year with us. I think others will be pursued and it's whether we want to sell / they want to go.

I think the end of this season is really important - FA Cup final (a stretch) and a top 10 finish - a day out for Fosun at Wembley, Europa League even and there could be Neto plus some more funds. If we drift, I think they'll be more likely to drift.

Last edited:

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it will be one of two windows:

1) Not dissimilar to last summer, 3-4 new names around the £15m mark, but no marquee signing (Nunes style). Maybe a big name out unfortunately (Neto, RAN, Gomes)

2) No new faces and a bit of an exodus, with all signs pointing to a Fosun exit

I can’t see many teams going big next summer. P&S is obviously a real thing, and punishments are seemingly being handed out now (Everton), and clubs are cutting their cloth accordingly. Even Man Utd, arguably still the biggest club on earth, are facing spending limitations.

I half caught the most recent Price of Football Podcast as I was falling asleep the other night, and they were saying that PL teams have something like £1bn in transfer interest payments to clear, and we’re now in a phase where those payments will need to paid down before any big spending takes place.

My gut feel though, don’t get excited about a crazy spending spree at Molineux next summer.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm pleased that we have removed a lot of the 'excess' from the squad. I've felt we have been too bloated for quite some time.

Truth is, we'll never know just how hard we tried to sign a striker. But, we have put ourselves in a strong position now to hopefully strengthen in the summer.

Changing tack slightly, it's about time someone challenged PSR/FFP in the courts. It's a restrictive practice and I can't think of one other business sector where the same applies. Let's stop kidding ourselves ... it has nothing to do with stopping clubs going bust ... but everything to do with maintaining the entitled position of the top clubs. It makes the competition boring.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it will be one of two windows:

1) Not dissimilar to last summer, 3-4 new names around the £15m mark, but no marquee signing (Nunes style). Maybe a big name out unfortunately (Neto, RAN, Gomes)

2) No new faces and a bit of an exodus, with all signs pointing to a Fosun exit

I can’t see many teams going big next summer. P&S is obviously a real thing, and punishments are seemingly being handed out now (Everton), and clubs are cutting their cloth accordingly. Even Man Utd, arguably still the biggest club on earth, are facing spending limitations.

I half caught the most recent Price of Football Podcast as I was falling asleep the other night, and they were saying that PL teams have something like £1bn in transfer interest payments to clear, and we’re now in a phase where those payments will need to paid down before any big spending takes place.

My gut feel though, don’t get excited about a crazy spending spree at Molineux next summer.
lots of loans to obligations or buy, with some front up fees.

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
So let’s evaluate this window…GON had 2 wishes…a number 9 and another attacking player…we repaid his wishes with the following…
1. Loaned out Sasa who now has competition for first team action with one of our prime targets we wasted time on!
2. Loaned out Fabio to a crap league and he’s currently warming the bench as their 9 has found form and started scoring!
3. Brought Mosquera back into the squad only to loan him out again.
4. Brought in young Lemina but nobody knows if he can step up yet or not despite his undoubted talent.
5. Made a last ditch effort for Alberto only to baulk at agents fees….apparently when all agreed!
6. Left it until deadline day to ‘speak’ to Chelsea all day when Broja was blatantly gonna choose Fulham!
7. Loaned out Hodge last minute leaving us one more light on the bench!

All of this knowing we would be down Boub, Hwang and RAN for a few games! In what world is this not a MASSIVE failure defying all logic! This team currently with a 9 in it would be so dangerous! We really need Hwang back and an injury free remainder to the campaign otherwise we are doomed! I just despair at how much they have failed to do their job efficiently! All of this too now means Fraser is probably held back in his development due to having to stick around to warm a bench seat!
The whole scenario is just madness and leaves us vulnerable when the players and GON are giving everything and have got the good vibes back! Hang your head in shame Hobbs and team!

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I imagine we'll see one big out at least - most likely Neto as it stands which will probably more than cover any spending we do make?

Getting some reasonable deals for Podence, Guedes and Sasa will help matters, but no certainty there. Silva we will probably keep loaning out in the hope he comes good, whilst I have a feeling Hodge and Traore will also be moved on. Possibly also Chiquinho too? I wondered about Sarabia too with him being 32 and on huge wages?

Mosquera will come into the squad as well you'd imagine. I think we'll be looking then at maybe a central midfielder, fullback, striker and a wide player or two? All options likely to be fairly young/promising, but no-one breaking the bank.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So let’s evaluate this window…GON had 2 wishes…a number 9 and another attacking player…we repaid his wishes with the following…
1. Loaned out Sasa who now has competition for first team action with one of our prime targets we wasted time on!
2. Loaned out Fabio to a crap league and he’s currently warming the bench as their 9 has found form and started scoring!
3. Brought Mosquera back into the squad only to loan him out again.
4. Brought in young Lemina but nobody knows if he can step up yet or not despite his undoubted talent.
5. Made a last ditch effort for Alberto only to baulk at agents fees….apparently when all agreed!
6. Left it until deadline day to ‘speak’ to Chelsea all day when Broja was blatantly gonna choose Fulham!
7. Loaned out Hodge last minute leaving us one more light on the bench!

All of this knowing we would be down Boub, Hwang and RAN for a few games! In what world is this not a MASSIVE failure defying all logic! This team currently with a 9 in it would be so dangerous! We really need Hwang back and an injury free remainder to the campaign otherwise we are doomed! I just despair at how much they have failed to do their job efficiently! All of this too now means Fraser is probably held back in his development due to having to stick around to warm a bench seat!
The whole scenario is just madness and leaves us vulnerable when the players and GON are giving everything and have got the good vibes back! Hang your head in shame Hobbs and team!
I don’t think it’s Hobbs and team who needs to hang their heads in shame to be honest.

What’s the alternative? Pay the extortionate agent fees/loan fees??

Hodge going out is absolutely no issue at all, he’s behind 4 central midfielders going for two places. Mosquera is a calculated risk, he’s better at Villarreal than here not playing. As for Sasa and Silva, the 3 months prior to the loans tell you what GON thinks of them, he was as likely to put Bentley up top as either of them

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s Hobbs and team who needs to hang their heads in shame to be honest.

Hodge going out is absolutely no issue at all, he’s behind 4 central midfielders going for two places. Mosquera is a calculated risk, he’s better at Villarreal than here not playing. As for Sasa and Silva, the 3 months prior to the loans tell you what GON thinks of them, he was as likely to put Bentley up top as either of them
What is this nonsense? Some sanity and rational thought on this forum? Hang your head in shame young man!

You have to have a special level of hatred for the current ownership not to be able to see what happened in the window. GON himself said that there would have to be some outgoings to clear some wages off the books to allow for some incomings. That's the reason Fabio and Sasa were sent out, to clear the way for incoming players. The club had clearly done their homework and identified a list of strikers they wanted and could afford. But what some on here cannot seem to get their head's around is that there are two and sometimes three parties to every deal. It isn't like going to Asda and buying a new striker off the shelf.

So lets see what transpired.

Ekitike clearly wanted to move to Germany and had no interest in coming here so no go.
Che Adams has 6 months left on his contract and Southampton just didn't want to sell him while they are involved in a promotion battle and when his value is at rock bottom
Chelsea went mental over Broja and started demanding insane fees to buy and then ridiculous terms to loan him, including a penalty for not playing. Absolutely no value there for us whatsoever so right to keep well clear.
Yuri Alberto looked a good possibility with clubs and player willing but scuppered at the 11th hour by a greedy agent. Quite right not to give in to blackmail

Redhillwolf

Reaction score

I get that mate but then why don’t we work within our means and target those we can afford? I know he obviously didn’t fancy Sasa or Fabio but Sasa has won us 4 points from sub appearances this season so at least he was an option. I understand he needed to leave to get football but there is every chance he could end up warming Frankfurts bench now. Just feels like very bad planning and therefore failing in their role. Coming out of a window much weaker than when you entered it is not a good way to go!

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score

Johnny Phillips suggesting that the goalposts moved financially for Hobbs and GON.

And these targets then became probably out-of-reach.

It's a concern if this keeps happening, not least Hobbs and GON building decent reputations.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think there will be decent movement, but not much net spend - Neto will go for good money (if he can avoid injuries for the rest of the season) and moving on the unwanted loan army will give us cash too.

Integrate Mosquera back into the side, and bring in a few £10-20m signings.

I’ll be quite happy with it to be honest - I trust Hobbs and GON to progress us with it.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep. Hobbs and co need to be very careful with the PR side of things going in to the summer because the “fire sale” of players who were already leaving the club will convince many that we will “go again” as it’s the end of the 3 year cycle (I think).

Another fire sale and yet another annual increase in season and match day ticket prices would be a bold strategy……

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is this nonsense? Some sanity and rational thought on this forum? Hang your head in shame young man!

You have to have a special level of hatred for the current ownership not to be able to see what happened in the window. GON himself said that there would have to be some outgoings to clear some wages off the books to allow for some incomings. That's the reason Fabio and Sasa were sent out, to clear the way for incoming players. The club had clearly done their homework and identified a list of strikers they wanted and could afford. But what some on here cannot seem to get their head's around is that there are two and sometimes three parties to every deal. It isn't like going to Asda and buying a new striker off the shelf.

Ekitike clearly wanted to move to Germany and had no interest in coming here so no go.
Che Adams has 6 months left on his contract and Southampton just didn't want to sell him while they are involved in a promotion battle and when his value is at rock bottom
Chelsea went mental over Broja and started demanding insane fees to buy and then ridiculous terms to loan him, including a penalty for not playing. Absolutely no value there for us whatsoever so right to keep well clear.
Yuri Alberto looked a good possibility with clubs and player willing but scuppered at the 11th hour by a greedy agent. Quite right not to give in to blackmail

I'm sure a journalist on twitter posted that Fulham would pay £4m loan fee for Broja if he didn't play 10 games. If he did they would pay nothing.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out Yerson being sold if he does well and attracts interest.....not saying it what I would do but say he does well and villareal offer 18m...he might be sold....

One of the reasons we loaned him in my opinion was the chance at a good shop window like villareal...

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Changing tack slightly, it's about time someone challenged PSR/FFP in the courts. It's a restrictive practice and I can't think of one other business sector where the same applies. Let's stop kidding ourselves ... it has nothing to do with stopping clubs going bust ... but everything to do with maintaining the entitled position of the top clubs. It makes the competition boring.

People always trot out this line, but it's so simplistic. There's an element of it being true of course, but it's just thick to pretend that it's not also in place to genuinely stop teams from getting themselves into financial trouble as well.

If FFP/PSR is just a cynical ploy, then why has it been designed in such a way that even Man Utd, one of the biggest financial powerhouses in football, couldn't really spend this window?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Thats correct but only UEFA rules we operate outside UEFA but intend to align in the next 3 seasons
Thats my understanding anyhow
Yes, sorry that was my point, UEFA is 90% now, so surely it would make sense to align with that, half the teams in the league must be doing that now, so for me it would make sense to say 80% for next season.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
May have been mentioned, but the crazy thing for me is that we will clearly rely on a Neto sale in the Summer and yet our lack of January business will mean he's likely to be run into the ground and risking another major injury which could scupper a Summer sale!

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

-Ekitike clearly wanted to move to Germany and had no interest in coming here so no go.
-Che Adams has 6 months left on his contract and Southampton just didn't want to sell him while they are involved in a promotion battle and when his value is at rock bottom
-Chelsea went mental over Broja and started demanding insane fees to buy and then ridiculous terms to loan him, including a penalty for not playing. Absolutely no value there for us whatsoever so right to keep well clear.
-Yuri Alberto looked a good possibility with clubs and player willing but scuppered at the 11th hour by a greedy agent. Quite right not to give in to blackmail
You mean to say in the 26 days between the 7th January (when Sasa was loaned out) and the 1st February, they could only find four targets who might fit the bill?

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People always trot out this line, but it's so simplistic. There's an element of it being true of course, but it's just thick to pretend that it's not also in place to genuinely stop teams from getting themselves into financial trouble as well.

If FFP/PSR is just a cynical ploy, then why has it been designed in such a way that even Man Utd, one of the biggest financial powerhouses in football, couldn't really spend this window?
Normally, I’d have been up for a debate regarding this … but given your insulting tone, I think I’ll pass.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You mean to say in the 26 days between the 7th January (when Sasa was loaned out) and the 1st February, they could only find four targets who might fit the bill?
in fairness they should have been looking since the day after the summer window closed. We have had months to try and find suitable targets.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just thinking. We probably have a bit of wiggle room when it comes to wages this summer, especially if we get rid of some loan players, or agree to further loan deals with wages covered for them.

Other teams still need to sell before they buy, and free up wages before they can take any more on.

Does that maybe put us front of the queue for free transfer signings? In the sense that we can commit to a contract offer before a lot of other teams.

A couple of (alleged) long-term targets on the list in Che Adams and Josh Brownhill. Signings that while they won't make anyone moist at the prospect of them pulling on a Wolves shirt, would improve our squad and are good option with bags of PL experience.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
May have been mentioned, but the crazy thing for me is that we will clearly rely on a Neto sale in the Summer and yet our lack of January business will mean he's likely to be run into the ground and risking another major injury which could scupper a Summer sale!
The amount of work that Cunha puts in, I'd be astonished if he plays in every game between now and the end of the season.
The bloke must be running on fumes right now.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Theres a meeting this month to decide i believe
The intention is to align ourselves with UEFA rules which is 70% of operational costs
The consensus is we go in 3 stages 90% 80% then in 3 years 70%
This has yet to be agreed but will almost certainly go ahead
How will forest comply? They have about 50 players.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Johnny Phillips suggesting that the goalposts moved financially for Hobbs and GON.

And these targets then became probably out-of-reach.

It's a concern if this keeps happening, not least Hobbs and GON building decent reputations.
The way I read the with Phillips (and the GON interview) is that the other clubs moved the goalposts, not us hence increased fees so walked away.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
in fairness they should have been looking since the day after the summer window closed. We have had months to try and find suitable targets.
Yes. My subtler point was that it's probably not true. I cannot imagine Hobbs and Gary, being the proactive sort, hadn't identified a string of targets before the window even opened. The problem is the Jeff Shi part. The rhetoric of this window is basically copy/paste from last Summer. "We're certain we'll sign a forward soon." > "We're confident we'll sign a forward before the end of the window." > "We won't be signing anyone".

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The amount of work that Cunha puts in, I'd be astonished if he plays in every game between now and the end of the season.
Whilst being ok last night ....again I didn't think he had that Zip......as such .....got caught a few times on the ball when normally he glides past them.... obviously understandable in the circumstances....with the minute he has played ....but is it effecting his peak level ...

Obviously when Hwang comes back his minutes maybe able to be managed a bit , similar to how it was before Christmas....

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One thing I can say is the season tickets will still go up but will the product on the pitch increase to a better standard?

I am not so sure we will . I can see like last season a couple of players going Like Neto, RAN, or Kilman that then leaves us rebuilding again and most likely putting around half the money we receive in sales back into the team.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we can take it as given that Neto will move on in the summer, and hopefully we can actually sell the players who aren't wanted here rather than just more loans. But I don't see many incomings, maybe 3 at most, around the £10m mark apiece.

Which, to be honest, is fine if we get the recruitment right. Most times we spend big money we end up being disappointed, and it causes financial headaches. If we can concentrate on bringing through players in the Gomes mould we'll stay safe (which has to be the ceiling of expectation right now).

Exciting transfer window, no. But I'm hoping for a clever one, because we've got it wrong as many times as we've got it right, and we're still in a tricky place financially, so we can't afford to **** up with any money we get from Neto.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Terrific player.

Back
Top Bottom