Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Do Chelsea put our issues into perspective?

Welford Wolf

Reaction score
I see that Chelsea have in their last 8 games lost 5 and won 2, that is with a much bigger squad than ours, all fully fit (or near enough) with people like Giroud not guaranteed to start or play. Where we have only kids as back up.

Also Chelsea spent heavily during the Summer bringing in various 'superstars' and they are still only 8th, 5 points off Liverpool in 4th at the time of writing..

We brought in 6 players, but not the so called calibre and total outlay of these at Chelsea:-
  • Timo Werner (RB Leipzig)
  • Kai Havertz (Bayer Leverkusen)
  • Hakim Ziyech (Ajax)
  • Malang Sarr (Nice)
  • Ben Chilwell (Leicester)
  • Thiago Silva (PSG),
  • Edouard Mendy (Rennes)
Both teams are struggling at the moment, injuries clearly a factor with Wolves, and when most return we should improve. Goalscoring though was an issue before Jimenez was injured and is a big concern now, if Silva or Cutrone get injured what are we left with? Also Jimenez could take longer than expected to get back.

So, we do need a striker, but spending big as Chelsea prove do not necessarily bring instant success.

There is no easy answer, but we are not the only team with difficulties, we can't change the past but we can influence the future. A striker will help but not be the cure all. Like most people, I feel we should for this season at least revert to the old system of 3 at the back with wing backs, stop the goals going in against us first.
Then we can look to getting the best solution going forward.

There are a lot of people getting very worried about Wolves right now, but we have to trust Nuno, and ride out the storm. This season might not be the one we wanted in many ways, but Nuno has brought us this far in a very short period of time. He surely now deserves patience from the fans, he may need all Summer to rectify this situation and get us going back in the right direction. Everything had gone right for him up to now, now we need to stay strong together, and we will come through this.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like Chelsea may have brought in too many from too many different sources. Many mature players there who would probably have expected to start and haven't been automatic choices. Doesn't make for a happy ship, perhaps. Too many cooks spoiling the broth?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn't this what they call "cherry picking" data? If we were 8th right now, 5 points off the Champions League, I would not think we had a problem. Whatever is going on Chelsea doesn't hide that right now, we are closer to being in the Championship next season than the Champions League.

Do West Ham put our issues into perspective? They didn't spend zillions, yet are 7th, 2 points from the Champions League? Or why not choose Everton? Or Villa? Southampton? Those clubs put perspective on us too. Basically, we've got worse while they've improved. The players they bought appear so far to be delivering much better value for money than those we bought. Results driven business, it's not art or literature where tastes differ! Their results have been better than ours over half a season, it's not a blip.

Wanderer Til I Die

Reaction score
I see that Chelsea have in their last 8 games lost 5 and won 2, that is with a much bigger squad than ours, all fully fit (or near enough) with people like Giroud not guaranteed to start or play. Where we have only kids as back up.

Also Chelsea spent heavily during the Summer bringing in various 'superstars' and they are still only 8th, 5 points off Liverpool in 4th at the time of writing..

We brought in 6 players, but not the so called calibre and total outlay of these at Chelsea:-
  • Timo Werner (RB Leipzig)
  • Kai Havertz (Bayer Leverkusen)
  • Hakim Ziyech (Ajax)
  • Malang Sarr (Nice)
  • Ben Chilwell (Leicester)
  • Thiago Silva (PSG),
  • Edouard Mendy (Rennes)
Both teams are struggling at the moment, injuries clearly a factor with Wolves, and when most return we should improve. Goalscoring though was an issue before Jimenez was injured and is a big concern now, if Silva or Cutrone get injured what are we left with? Also Jimenez could take longer than expected to get back.

So, we do need a striker, but spending big as Chelsea prove do not necessarily bring instant success.

There is no easy answer, but we are not the only team with difficulties, we can't change the past but we can influence the future. A striker will help but not be the cure all. Like most people, I feel we should for this season at least revert to the old system of 3 at the back with wing backs, stop the goals going in against us first.
Then we can look to getting the best solution going forward.

There are a lot of people getting very worried about Wolves right now, but we have to trust Nuno, and ride out the storm. This season might not be the one we wanted in many ways, but Nuno has brought us this far in a very short period of time. He surely now deserves patience from the fans, he may need all Summer to rectify this situation and get us going back in the right direction. Everything had gone right for him up to now, now we need to stay strong together, and we will come through this.
Couldn't have said it better myself, just goes to show having a bigger squad dosent guarantee you success.

Our problem is we have bought too many players for the future, but those players aren't getting enough game time.

You need the right balance of youth and experience.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally think the Chelsea job with the rebuild they need(ed) was too much for Frank. They needed a safer set of hands with the transition they were and are in.

I know a lot of football fans dont like Chelsea but Ive always had a soft spot for them since Roman came about as the premier league was getting really stale with United absolutely dominating it with the odd Arsenal champions. I personally dont see Chelsea getting back to that level again.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn't this what they call "cherry picking" data? If we were 8th right now, 5 points off the Champions League, I would not think we had a problem. Whatever is going on Chelsea doesn't hide that right now, we are closer to being in the Championship next season than the Champions League.

Do West Ham put our issues into perspective? They didn't spend zillions, yet are 7th, 2 points from the Champions League? Or why not choose Everton? Or Villa? Southampton? Those clubs put perspective on us too. Basically, we've got worse while they've improved. The players they bought appear so far to be delivering much better value for money than those we bought.
I think the perspective is they have spent a huge amount and gone backwards. However as you rightly point out there are the polar opposites.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My concern is comparing us to Newcastle who I think of as an extreme basket case , but who sit just three points below us and game in hand.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also goes to show how hard it is to break into the then top 2, now top 4-6, and stay there despite the best part of two decades of heavy spending by Abramovich.

Even if we’d managed to squeeze into the top 6, which we should have done last season, it takes constant high investment and a top quality manager(s) over a long period of time.

Taking this season as an example, you’d be forgiven for expecting Liverpool to run away with the league, but if you factor in how close they came in 18/19 and that they more or less would have won the league in most seasons that year with their form/ points, it was impressive that they pushed on further in 19/20. This season is showing how hard it is to maintain that standard for a third year, and even Klopp seems to be cracking.

Perhaps in many ways you could compare Liverpool with us, we played at the peak of our level for 2 seasons, Nuno identified we’d struggle this season and rightly or wrongly has tried to mix it up a bit. Adding in our terrible injury record this season it has been a mixture for disaster - BUT I feel this conversation has been done to death elsewhere so won’t dwell on this.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My concern is comparing us to Newcastle who I think of as an extreme basket case , but who sit just three points below us and game in hand.
I agree with that. I think the time to analyse things however is after the next 6 games (i dont think we need to concern ourselves with the transfer window as I just dont see us being active in it).

We need to discover how to grind out games again and win ugly. Whilst a lot of the current situation can be attributed to recruitment, injuries, formation etc the big thing for me is we have lost all our confidence. Its absolutely drained out of us. As soon as the second goal for Albion went in the weekend there was only one winner as the players heads were down and their jaws were on the floor. Weve got to have a change in mentality.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like Chelsea may have brought in too many from too many different sources. Many mature players there who would probably have expected to start and haven't been automatic choices. Doesn't make for a happy ship, perhaps. Too many cooks spoiling the broth?
Chelsea's recruitment for far too long has resembled a poor man's Real, with "Galactico" players bought in for their name rather than because they fit an identified need in a team trying to play a consistent formation and style.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chelsea have bought in too many players. To say they are in crisis though when a strong second half of the season could have them in the champions league could prove silly.

We switched systems half way through the season, otherwise we could be level on points with them right now. Imagine if we kept just 2 clean sheets in the last however many games. Had we beat Brighton Albion and villa we would be well up the table.

Tipton Wolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You have to be a fool though to think chelsea cant string 5 wins on the bounce which they will do soon. We are so incapable of putting a win and a draw together.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are so hard on young Silva,for missing a couple and only scoring 2 goals so far
Take a look at Timo Werner, cost, with add ons, almost £60 million
Scored 4 league goals in 19 appearances,one in last 12 and none in last 10,missing at least 6 gilt edged chances,and 6 years older with top international appearances and years of Bundeslegia experience
We expect instant results from an 18 year old boy,smh

D

Deleted member 11157

Chelsea net spend £150M
Wolves net spend £3M

Chelsea revenue forecast to be down £90M
Wolves about £20M ????

Difference 7 points.

Given we were recently found to be in breach of FFP rules feel 20/21 will be a season of adjustment for us. Think Wolves are being run sensibly given the circumstances. Just have to keep in there until the end of the season and hope it all returns to ' normal '.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lampard, rookie manager is part of the problem.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with that. I think the time to analyse things however is after the next 6 games (i dont think we need to concern ourselves with the transfer window as I just dont see us being active in it).

We need to discover how to grind out games again and win ugly. Whilst a lot of the current situation can be attributed to recruitment, injuries, formation etc the big thing for me is we have lost all our confidence. Its absolutely drained out of us. As soon as the second goal for Albion went in the weekend there was only one winner as the players heads were down and their jaws were on the floor. Weve got to have a change in mentality.
That change in mentality is the key.
I think we need to get Patricio , Moutinho , Coady , Neves and Boly in support . Cant wait for Jonny to get back. I believe these are the big characters in our fight.
These guys have to stay solid with Nuno or I fear we may crumble.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You have to be a fool though to think chelsea cant string 5 wins on the bounce which they will do soon. We are so incapable of putting a win and a draw together.
Why would you be a fool to think chelsea cant string 5 wins together on the bounce, they havent done that for a couple of seasons.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, not really.
  • Overall much better players than we have, and more of them.
  • Young manager a bit out of his depth but they can easily sort that.
  • Top 6 side most years
  • Income more than twice ours.
  • Genuine expextations of winning PL (not this season though).
Mind you I dont care....

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They won 6 in a row just after they beat us 5-2 last season.

Their squad is surely good enough to make a serious title challenge. With the players they bought for this season, they have underperformed for sure.

Someting is going wrong with there. The team is less than the sum of its parts..which could appy to us at the moment, too. The difference being that for Chelsea, "something wrong" means they drop from a potential top 3 position 8th. For us it means we've dropped from potentially 7th-10th down to 14th. We are not anywhere near Chelsea level and won't be even if we have 10 years at the top.

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's zero chance of Chelsea going down. So no.

Back
Top Bottom