Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Diogo Jota

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Selling Diogo Jota is probably one of our biggest loses / Errors , be it down to us or Jota forcing a move, ( or Mendes)
I can only think of selling Robbie Keane as such a high profile loss for money.
Who else can you put into that bracket, ?

Added Lose to the word Error

Last edited:

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t even think it was an error. Once Liverpool were interested we were never going to be able to keep him and keep him happy. We got what we thought was a good price at the time.

My favourite Wolves player at the time, and disappointed to see him go, but I agree with you. I’m pleased for him that he’s showing his class at Liverpool. In a sense, he’s still working for us, in that he’s demonstrating to the pundits and potential future Wolves players, that our players can compete in the “top” teams.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Selling Diogo Jota is probably one of our biggest errors, be it down to us or Jota forcing a move, ( or Mendes)

Don't know. You only have to look at how Spurs have been since Kane didn't get his move to see how a club standing in the way of a player can have a really detrimental effect. If the likes of Jota, Neves, Neto etc were all sold the idea of coming to Wolves and developing before a big move and then you deny one of them a move to one of the best sides in Europe you can only imagine how it might have gone down with the rest of these talented lot who would have known nothing about Wolverhampton until a football club based there tried to sign them. Whereas accepting the bid showed that we won't stand in the way if the right money comes in, and could make us more appealing to the next lot off the conveyor belt

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't know. You only have to look at how Spurs have been since Kane didn't get his move to see how a club standing in the way of a player can have a really detrimental effect. If the likes of Jota, Neves, Neto etc were all sold the idea of coming to Wolves and developing before a big move and then you deny one of them a move to one of the best sides in Europe you can only imagine how it might have gone down with the rest of these talented lot who would have known nothing about Wolverhampton until a football club based there tried to sign them. Whereas accepting the bid showed that we won't stand in the way if the right money comes in

Spot on.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Selling Diogo Jota is probably one of our biggest errors, be it down to us or Jota forcing a move, ( or Mendes)

Error FFS. Is this a genuine misunderstanding of the reality of World class players passing through Wolves or more anti Fosun rhetoric?

Serious question.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
My favourite Wolves player at the time, and disappointed to see him go, but I agree with you. I’m pleased for him that he’s showing his class at Liverpool. In a sense, he’s still working for us, in that he’s demonstrating to the pundits and potential future Wolves players, that our players can compete in the “top” teams.

I always thought Costa would prove a mistake selling but was proved wrong, although that injury seemed to ruin his future

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You make it sound like we sold him to an inferior club and have now come to regret it…..
He went to one of the biggest and best clubs in Europe for 40 odd million! We never had a hope in keeping him!

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Error FFS. Is this a genuine misunderstanding of the reality of World class players passing through Wolves or more anti Fosun rhetoric?

Serious question.
No it was just an opinion and a thread which i thought would be interesting, but if you wish to turn it into something its not go for it,
Serious Answer,

Last edited:

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

You make it sound like we sold him to an inferior club and have now come to regret it…..
He went to one of the biggest and best clubs in Europe for 40 odd million! We never had a hope in keeping him!

funny how folk read threads so differently , Bless.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He was given the chance to sign for the league champions and one of the biggest clubs in world football, it wasn’t an error on our part at all.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He was given the chance to sign for the league champions and one of the biggest clubs in world football, it wasn’t an error on our part at all.
perhaps error wasn't the right word OK, BUT as you say "sold to one of the biggest clubs in world football" i thought the big plan was to make us into one of the biggest clubs in world football, how's that not a mistake selling your main assets to your rivals then.

this is only a discussion so don't shoot the messenger , i would personally be quite happy to be back in the Championship,

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
perhaps error wasn't the right word OK, BUT as you say "sold to one of the biggest clubs in world football" i thought the big plan was to make us into one of the biggest clubs in world football, how's that not a mistake selling your main assets to your rivals then.

this is only a discussion so don't shoot the messenger , i would personally be quite happy to be back in the Championship,
How do you think we’re going to progress? Leicester are probably the best example of a team who have gradually built and progressed and their transfer business is based around selling players to the top teams for big money and reinvesting.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The thing is whilst you progress you have to accept you lose players to bigger clubs. Liverpool lost Suarez and Coutinho on their journey.

Why would you rather be in the championship? It’s the absolute pits. I hope we never ever set foot in it again. Championship football means championship players. I’d rather not swap Raul Jiminez for Karlan Grant!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
He was absolutely brilliant at his best for us, working his socks off, running with the ball, getting kicked to pieces as often as not. Now he gets to hang around the 6 yard box waiting for Salah to put it on a plate for him. I think he'll probably feel he made the right choice.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
How do you think we’re going to progress? Leicester are probably the best example of a team who have gradually built and progressed and their transfer business is based around selling players to the top teams for big money and reinvesting.
yeah good question and a good point JadeWolf, I believe Nuno wanted that money to invest in our future, Semedo, Silva, etc etc, on the same lines as you say,
Another point, do you think Raúl Jiménez would still be here if not for his injury,

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do we still have a project? The one that puts us in the Champions League??

I didn’t like the sale of Jota. It suggested the ‘project’ is a fallacy and the plan is really buy and sell for eventual profit!

It does underline one thing however…. The fantastic job Nuno did last season not only to keep us up but to finish 12th without the goals of Jota, Raul and Doc.

Those who wished him away were just wrong! Nobody complained about our football in the first couple of Premier League seasons. Last season was one of survival given the circumstances of Raul’s injury and the sale of Jota

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously Jota would want to go, but that doesn't mean you have to sell.

I read the other day that Neves had said his goodbye's to his teammates expecting to go to Arsenal in the summer. Every player in our squad would move to Liverpool if the opportunity was there, that goes without saying, but it doesn't mean you must sell.

It hasn't impacted him this season, and Jota didn't kick up a fuss so unfair to say he would've without knowing.

So, it was an error in the sense that, and, in hindsight, we sold him for too low a fee. That was poor. I didn't think it at the time but it was. Plus, we bent over backwards (it seems) to ensure Liverpool could sort the deal how they wanted.

But I wouldn't say this was especially bad, as we still got a decent fee and we have good players in the final third, just not as good as Jota.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
yeah good question and a good point JadeWolf, I believe Nuno wanted that money to invest in our future, Semedo, Silva, etc etc, on the same lines as you say,
Another point, do you think Raúl Jiménez would still be here if not for his injury,
Jimenez probably, I don’t think he’s necessarily a very sellable player even before injury due to age. I know there were links to Juventus but I doubt they’d pay what we thought he was worth.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The thing is whilst you progress you have to accept you lose players to bigger clubs. Liverpool lost Suarez and Coutinho on their journey.

Why would you rather be in the championship? It’s the absolute pits. I hope we never ever set foot in it again. Championship football means championship players. I’d rather not swap Raul Jiminez for Karlan Grant!

if the premier wasn't so set up for the choosing few i would rather play in it of course, The whole league is set up for the top 6.
If we were allowed to spend the same we would be in that top 4/6, then we wouldn't need to sell our top players would we,

We are competing ? in a competition we cant win, they will never let the likes of Leicester win it again,

personally i always enjoyed the Championship, Ticket were easy to come by, some great old clubs in it, and at the start of the season you could actually think we can win this,

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
if the premier wasn't so set up for the choosing few i would rather play in it of course, The whole league is set up for the top 6.
If we were allowed to spend the same we would be in that top 4/6, then we wouldn't need to sell our top players would we,

We are competing ? in a competition we cant win, they will never let the likes of Leicester win it again,

personally i always enjoyed the Championship, Ticket were easy to come by, some great old clubs in it, and at the start of the season you could actually think we can win this,
I’m sorry I can’t debate with anyone who’d rather be in the championship with championship players. Neves or George Saville

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jota always has been a class act. Easily the most exciting player I’ve seen at Wolves in my lifetime, he’d walk into our team over: Traore, Silva, Trincao, Hwang, Podence… and personally I’d say over Neto too (appreciate that one is more up for debate).

His form dipped a little just before we sold him, but I’ve said since we sold him that it’s the loss of his and Raul’s partnership that has been the biggest contribution to our lack of goals. Sure Traore is quicker, but the speed Jota got us up field with the ball hasn’t been replaced. For all Traore’s pace, his preference for standing his man up before beating him allows defences to reset, Jota breaking at pace didn’t allow them that luxury.

I fear the better he does at Liverpool and the more praise he receives the more the likes of Neves are going to think “I fancy a bit of that”, making it much harder to persuade them to stay.

Brizzlewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jota wasn't a guaranteed starter in the months before we sold him.....this "we gave him away" rhetoric is balls, at the time we got a decent fee for him, anything else is just revisionism.

I loved him btw, gutted to see him go but it's done......

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would like to think he'll get a great reception from the fans on Saturday but you never know with some of our lot.
He was great. He got you off your seat. He started our rise back alongside Ruben etc.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good player. Good price. Improved a lot. Wanted to go DESPERATELY once Liverpool were in, I'm reliably informed.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would like to think he'll get a great reception from the fans on Saturday but you never know with some of our lot.
He was great. He got you off your seat. He started our rise back alongside Ruben etc.

He will get a good reception before the game for sure.

T

TheConcourse

The deal suited everyone at the time. Also got to give Klopp some respect for getting the extra % out of Diogo, although Liverpool dominate the ball and so it makes sense that his output increases.

Remember Diogo didn’t start games towards the end of his time with Wolves, which is crazy. Didn’t start v Sevilla did he?

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Do we still have a project? The one that puts us in the Champions League??

I didn’t like the sale of Jota. It suggested the ‘project’ is a fallacy and the plan is really buy and sell for eventual profit!

It does underline one thing however…. The fantastic job Nuno did last season not only to keep us up but to finish 12th without the goals of Jota, Raul and Doc.

Those who wished him away were just wrong! Nobody complained about our football in the first couple of Premier League seasons. Last season was one of survival given the circumstances of Raul’s injury and the sale of Jota
That is a perfect summary of the situation.

I’d add to that, that Nuno was absolutely shattered by Rauls injury (witness him breaking when talking about it a year later). For him to make certain of our premier
League status was a heroic effort.

Far from the derogatory Nuno-ball comments we see daily on here, when time passes Nuno will be seen as one of our true legends.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He will get a good reception and even last year when he scored against us in an empty ground he didn’t lord it so respect to him.

He blew hot and cold for us. When he was hot he was unplayable and that last 4 months on the 18/19 season he was brilliant. However, when he was cold he could be non-existent. By the time we’d sold him he was behind Podence, Neto and Traore in Nuno’s thinking so £45m was good business. Personally I’d have got rid of Traore but no one enquired or stumped up the money.

Back
Top Bottom