Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Diogo Jota

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Using the mixs favourite analogy its like looking at your exes facebook page to see what she is up to, and how much she is loving life with her new fella. Its not healthy. Theres a reason he is an ex player of wolves, it was the right deal at the time for us, 4 times what we paid for him, liverpool came calling, higher profile, higher wages, playing with some of the best players in the world. There seems to be a lot of assumptions that if it was a straight fight between wolves and liverpool, we would have kept him. The reality is he would have gone regardless and we never stood a chance, so theres no point moping around about it nearly 2 years on. We are merely a stepping stone for the majority of our players and i feel wolves did their best to maximise the fee they got for him.
It is also important to remember that, for whatever reason, Diogo was a long way off his best form at the time we sold him. With Neto looking promising, it was a good deal for us.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Using the mixs favourite analogy its like looking at your exes facebook page to see what she is up to, and how much she is loving life with her new fella. Its not healthy. Theres a reason he is an ex player of wolves, it was the right deal at the time for us, 4 times what we paid for him, liverpool came calling, higher profile, higher wages, playing with some of the best players in the world. There seems to be a lot of assumptions that if it was a straight fight between wolves and liverpool, we would have kept him. The reality is he would have gone regardless and we never stood a chance, so theres no point moping around about it nearly 2 years on. We are merely a stepping stone for the majority of our players and i feel wolves did their best to maximise the fee they got for him.
True of us, and true of virtually all other clubs. Even Liverpool couldn't hang on to Coutinho.

fleck1

Reaction score
Every club is a selling club and every player has their price. At the time it was the right price, he'd slipped out of favour, was in poor form and we had a fit Neto waiting in the wings. £30m profit in a couple of seasons and opened the pathway for Pedro... The when and how its paid are irrelevant its not different to how any club pays for players now, the £41/£45m is still coming in. You cant look 18/24 months down the line at a player scoring more goals in a team that's one of the best in Europe and compare his stats to an upper midtable club and say we didn't get enough for him. I think with our style of football and where we were at the time he had reached his ceiling with us and the time was right for both of us. For me if it wasn't for Pedro's injury wed not be getting all nostalgic every time Diogo scores.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like all goal scorers. Alan Shearer was known to go ten or so games without scoring too.

And then he'd make up for it by going on a scoring spree. Jota similar. As I recall, his very worst, one-off run was the first 15 matches we played in the Premier League. It's a myth to imply he had "repeated" periods of 10-15 matches without scoring. Jota's *worst* form was like a free-scoring frenzy in comparison with most of our other forwards!

The comparison with our current forwards is summed up by Jota at his worst going 10 matches without scoring. Where a goal every 10 matches is something Traore and Trincao can only dream of. With Jota, he was always clearly a class above, even with the occasional spell of 5 or 6 matches without scoring. And being put out wide didn't help him. Generally, when he was more central, he scored more and set up more. But Nuno mostly played him out wide. It wasn't rocket science, I thought it was common knowledge? That at a club who played him centrally he would score a load more - and that is exactly how it's worked out.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don’t accept that we are destined to be for ever a stepping stone club.

We have a history to match any and a stated ambition to join the top 4!

I’ll never doff my hat to any other club…. Ever!
Not forever but we certainly are now. We are the benfica and sporting of the football world. Take young untried talent and develop them into something special. Its not a bad thing as there will come a time once we have increased other sources of revenue, we will not need to be such a selling club, but for now, despite a few misses and maybes, with the likes a fabio now showing something rather than us feeling we have written off 35m, the buy to sell model will remain for the forseeable

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He wasn’t necessarily in our side as a goal scorer though, there was way more to his game and what he contributed in matches for us.

You call it rose tinted those that look back favorably, I’ll call it revisionist those who look back and think he wasn’t one of the best players in our squad.

Most exciting player to watch in a Wolves shirt that I’ve seen. Traore doesn’t come close. Hoping Neto can continue his trajectory when fit again and knock Jota off that perch.
I can't take that very seriously unfortunately. Say what you like about Adama, but surely he's the most exciting player in our squad, and probably in the league. I don't recall Jota coming close to routinely taking on 4 or 5 players with ease.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like all goal scorers. Alan Shearer was known to go ten or so games without scoring too.
The problem is that when playing for us, Jota would make up his entire season tally of goals in about 5 games and then not score in any of the others. It's all well and good him getting hattricks every 20 games, but I'd rather those goals were spread out so we'd win more.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He wouldn’t have improved further under Nuno.

Still remain of the view that a change to a back 4 is required to get the best out of our attacking players.

Only Chelsea really play the back 3 effectively in an attacking sense, but that’s because they have the best CM in the world and wide players that mix it in CM as wel when needed to fully control games.

PTW

Reaction score
He wouldn’t have improved further under Nuno.

Still remain of the view that a change to a back 4 is required to get the best out of our attacking players.

Only Chelsea really play the back 3 effectively in an attacking sense, but that’s because they have the best CM in the world and wide players that mix it in CM as wel when needed to fully control games.
Spurs plays a back 3, Atalanta in Italy plays a back 3 and scores for fun, Inter in Italy the same thing, United plays with a back 4 and they are terrible.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spurs plays a back 3, Atalanta in Italy plays a back 3 and scores for fun, Inter in Italy the same thing, United plays with a back 4 and they are terrible.
Spurs are terrible .

Atalanta and Inter don’t play in the premier league

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I doubt we’d be paying much more than the interbank lending rate which is currently about 0.02%. So the interest on our loans won’t be more than 0.5%.
2019 I believe the vampire kangaroo was charging 4 or 5% interest to football clubs.
that ran into 2020.not sure what it is at the moment

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't take that very seriously unfortunately. Say what you like about Adama, but surely he's the most exciting player in our squad, and probably in the league. I don't recall Jota coming close to routinely taking on 4 or 5 players with ease.
Jota utterly ****es on Adama for any level of excitement during his time with us. Great to see Adama accelerate from standing and taking players on, but for every once or twice he does that, he'll be incredibly predictable on 8 occasions.

Jota was on another planet and I'll repeat what I said in 2017. He'll be one of the best players on earth before he's 30.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just think it's great that we signed a top young Portugese talent, got 3 great years out of him and countless memories, and sold him to the top club in the land for a 30 mil profit.

Same story with Neves.

Mix that up with with how Coady has developed from a very average midfield signing, stars like Jimenez and Adama, and there's not a lot to complain about on the transfer front. If Johnny and Neto had stayed fit you could add them to the list.

Throw in Kilman for good measure !

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jota utterly ****es on Adama for any level of excitement during his time with us. Great to see Adama accelerate from standing and taking players on, but for every once or twice he does that, he'll be incredibly predictable on 8 occasions.

Jota was on another planet and I'll repeat what I said in 2017. He'll be one of the best players on earth before he's 30.
He will never be "one of the best on earth" he too inconsistent
Your right in that he was brilliant in the Championship and first Prem season for us,but his last season he was sulky and managed just 7 league goals all season,i know he scored 9 in the EL but the opposition has to be taken into account

He is playing well in a very good attacking team right now,but would he be doing the same for us? I very much doubt it
Im not knocking him at all,i loved his time with us,but looking back through gold tinted glasses hides the truth sometimes

We got a decent price,however its paid,and made a huge profit,whether thats been invested properly is another debate
We also had Neto,a ready made replacement with arguably better prospects,unfortunately he got injured, it happens
If you ask me which id rather have Jota or Neto i would go Neto everytime

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
His first goal last night reminded me of the one he scored against Espanyol.

Surprised he hasn't scored a hat-trick for Liverpool yet, he got a few for us.

I don't know why this thread was bumped after a year though, I think we've all moved on.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

End product a huge difference, too. Jota at his worst delivered comparable to Traore at his best..and several of our other current (and rejected) forwards, too.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
This mismanagement of Jota, during the injury season with everything coming through Traore was Nuno/Fosuns biggest ever mistake. If we treated him better he'd still be here like Neves and Jiminez.
Erm mid table or champions league no way we would keep him once Liverpool were interested
He was never mismanaged

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is playing well in a very good attacking team right now,but would he be doing the same for us? I very much doubt it
Im not knocking him at all,i loved his time with us,but looking back through gold tinted glasses hides the truth sometimes
Would he be delivering as little as our current equivalents? Traore, Trincao and Podence have the grand total of one league goal between them. You have to be deluded or embittered by sour grapes - or wearing the goldiest gold tinted glasses of all - to believe Jota wouldn't have beaten that poor return easily. Jota in this team and we'd be knocking on the European places easily. Especially if Bruno had the sense (and I think he would) to play him more centrally and not out wide.

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But the thought process, and one I agreed with at the time and still do, is that Pedro Neto's ceiling was higher, we don't have the scope to rotate as much as bigger clubs and thus must nurture the talents as and where we find them.

Jota is fantastic, amazing, I actually think he will be back here one day. How anyone can slate him is a myth, but there is a bit of rewriting of history here at times, he was on the bench when he left.
He was indeed on the bench and there were some poor performances the previous season, but he was still comfortably our second biggest goal threat behind Raul.
I have never understood that there had to be a choice between Neto and Jota as both could have played in a fluid front three with Jimenez.
I think his first goal last night highlights how much more of a threat a player is running past people with intent to get into a goal scoring position rather than out wide where they can be more easily shackled and have to rely on others to provide the goal threat.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

If you hold onto players against their will then other top young talents won't even consider joining you and the players level of performance tanks. Then they run down their contract. As soon as a top club comes in for one of your players it is when not if.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Am I being thick because I don’t know what ‘vampire kangaroo’ is?
the bank,bought Thames Water paid out £3billion in dividends and loaded £11billion
of debts on it.bought M6 toll road and doubled the toll.
Just a couple of things they got involved with

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me Jota was sold for peanuts. One thing I could not understand from Nuno, why he very often left out Jota from his team.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me Jota now plays for Liverpool and I don't care how he does. I have no interest in him at all. I am only interested in players who wear Old Gold and Black.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me Jota was sold for peanuts. One thing I could not understand from Nuno, why he very often left out Jota from his team.
In the two seasons he was with us in the Prem he picked a fair few injuries. When he did play he had periods where he hardly kicked the ball during the game and was simply a body on the pitch. His best games were when he played closer to Raul or through the middle on his own, the latter when Raul didn’t play a couple of Euro games.

He was never comfortable playing wider and this was the position he played at the start of our first season in the EPL and when Traore got in the team the following season. He was not the best fit for the system that Nuno wanted to play. Hence he was surplus to requirements.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The sale of diogo Jota is a very unusual one for wolves fans and not something we've really seen too much of in the last 40 years or so.

A player with exceptional talent and determination who has gone on to better things and has become a better player since leaving.

We've been used to getting players at the 'pinnacle' of their career before fading away into obscurity. We've never had a player move to a really big team and excel.

It's unusual, but surely a sign that we're getting in the right sort of players

R

reanswolf

Your right in that he was brilliant in the Championship and first Prem season for us,but his last season he was sulky and managed just 7 league goals all season,i know he scored 9 in the EL but the opposition has to be taken into account

We got a decent price,however its paid,and made a huge profit,whether thats been invested properly is another debate
We also had Neto,a ready made replacement with arguably better prospects,unfortunately he got injured, it happens
I think this is fairly balanced, but I'm not sure Neto is better at all, tho a lot of Wolves fans use this argument. Probably because he is still with us. Might change if he goes to another club.

Anyway, to me they are very different players who have different footballing qualities. I loved Jota and don't think he ever sulked, he continued working hard in his so-called unproductive season, but got limited service and he was a young player who lost a bit of confidence, that is all. That season was when we started to sit deeper and deeper.

People started calling him out in the typical fickle-football way that some are not supporting Jimenez now (obviously I am not comparing the circumstances before anyone says). Form is temporary, class is permanent, and some Wolves fans were too short-sighted to see what we had in Jota. Not that that made any difference, he wasn't hounded out or anything, it was just that Liverpool came in for him and the rest is history.

But he is still one of my favourite-ever Wolves players and I loved his goals v Millwall, Villa, Chelsea, Manure as well as a couple of hat-tricks that included an overhead kick.

BarryM

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Great move for player and great business for the club at the time.

We sold a player for £45m.

I was gutted when he left, but a small part of me is glad he is doing well.

But the bit I have highlighted in bold there ... just 7 league goals. Just past the halfway stage of the season and we have Raul and Hwang on 4 goals, the Coady and Saiss on 2. You try to make those 7 league goals a bad thing?

Podence, Trincao and Traore have mustered 1 goal between the 3 of them ... and that was Traore in the last game.

Pedro is a big loss ... but Jota's 7 league goals haven't been replaced by the other 3.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great move for player and great business for the club at the time.

We sold a player for £45m.

I was gutted when he left, but a small part of me is glad he is doing well.

But the bit I have highlighted in bold there ... just 7 league goals. Just past the halfway stage of the season and we have Raul and Hwang on 4 goals, the Coady and Saiss on 2. You try to make those 7 league goals a bad thing?

Podence, Trincao and Traore have mustered 1 goal between the 3 of them ... and that was Traore in the last game.

Pedro is a big loss ... but Jota's 7 league goals haven't been replaced by the other 3.
Oh i agree there,we have been woeful in front of goal so far this season
What i was highlighting was he wasnt prolific for us by any means
Off the top of my head he scored 17 in the Championship,i think 12 in his first Prem season then 7 before we let him go
Obviously hes doing great and good luck to him,but IF Neto and Raul hadnt been injured i dont think we would be missing him at all

PTW

Reaction score
Spurs are terrible .

Atalanta and Inter don’t play in the premier league
And what does playing in the Premier League has to do with being offensive or defensive? Unless the tatical systems in England are more expensive than on the rest of the continent they look the same to me.

Back
Top Bottom