Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Different playing styles

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IMO the problem is that the players pre and post signing video extracts, give a false impression of their capabilities to handle what's in store, when they join the Premier.
Portuguese and Spanish defensive players tend to back off, giving attackers far more time and space to display their skills.
Whereas in The Premier, opposition defenders are far more physical and aggressive, hassling the attacking players and constantly closing them down .
Completely different approach.
Thus it takes new signings some time to adapt.

Thoughts anyone?

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just a thread to hopefully be a catalyst for discussion amongst Mixers.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not sure the extra physicality notion of the premier league is as real as it used to be. Or at least the difference isn’t as great.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are some differences, yes.

But I think a lot is just lazy stereotyping of soft flashy Europeans with nice hair, unlike our proper British boys.

I'd like to see Guedes and Nunes play under a better manager before I even think of judging their ability to adapt.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need two systems ideally

3-5-2 which we could put Hwang & Guedes or Adama in the front two while Costa is out

Also the current 4-2-3-1 which we’ve been using lately slight improvement but lacks killer instinct and creativity

We need more than one style, go defensive against better teams and press more and show more energy and urgency off the ball to win it back

The thing with the systems is playing to our strengths I’m not sure we really do that because our forwards look so isolated I do wonder would a 3–4-3 be better? This is what bought some of our best counter attacking play under Nuno’s first season in the premier league. Sometimes you have to mix it up. We need to play more direct when attacking using Adama to his strengths

Guedes is better as a striker from what Iv seen at Valencia at Wolves he did ok vs Spurs away as for the rest rather forgetful Nunes had a good game V southampton but other than that very little of note really.

I think Nunes would be better in a 3-5-2 on the left of midfield but I don’t see us changing formation anytime soon.

Our shape seems poor and retaining the ball. These are basics. The intensity we play at also needs to be higher

Wolvesfcneil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is no one more physical or tougher than Chiellini and Bonucci.

Last edited:

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just don't think we give players time to bed in.... .....it's taken Iwobi for instance, nearly 3 seasons to bed in at Everton......that's a player who was used to playing in the league before.....

Obviously the small squad and injuries doesn't help as they are under more pressure to hit the ground running....

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think the formation and playing styles wouldn't make much difference, we really lack post injury Jiminez in quality up front.
Costa won't score all season, Sasa got injured, Fabio on loan, Neto also injured, so we're left with very average Hwang and often injured midget Podence. God knows how good Guedes is, thank god Traore has come back and in form atm.

Back
Top Bottom