Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Dendonker

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m conflicted to some extent as I really dont rate him as a player. But that aside, if his role is not to come off the bench on 70mins to protect a slim lead, then what is his role? We have better players to keep the ball then him and keep on the front foot (rather than sit deep and wait for the inevitable).

Maybe it’s between him and mouts for the starting position alongside neves as can’t see mouts being asked to play every game? But even trincao looks comfortable running through the middle and can find defence splitting passes. So maybe when Neto is back it pushes donk further away from a central midfield starting role.

i can’t see a full Belgian international being happy to sit on the sidelines in a World Cup year where he needs to play regularly (and play well) to get on the plane to Qatar.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dendoncker was the one calling for more signings.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not that much of a fan but there you go.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not that much of a fan but there you go.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its a bit ironic that with only 3 senior central midfielders it's the 3rd one we're questioning if he will be happy not to be playing week in week out!

I have a feeling that Bruno wants different options, and that they're too similar. Neves and Mouts are first pick and Dendoncker will be thinking about his future if this is the case

Would mean we perhaps need 3 new CM's next season if Donk goes, and we don't renew Mouts contract! We'd only have Neves next season.... hopefully

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its a bit ironic that with only 3 senior central midfielders it's the 3rd one we're questioning if he will be happy not to be playing week in week out!

I have a feeling that Bruno wants different options, and that they're too similar. Neves and Mouts are first pick and Dendoncker will be thinking about his future if this is the case

Would mean we perhaps need 3 new CM's next season if Donk goes, and we don't renew Mouts contract! We'd only have Neves next season.... hopefully

Agree. And that makes a new footballing CM even more important. For all his work off the ball, Donk is just not good enough on the ball and think Bruno sees this already. If we want to keep possession based attacking momentum to close games out I just don’t think Donk can do it.

if cash is an issue and we need to sell first he would be the obvious out.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The guy had a bad season last year but so did most of the squad so he deserves to be judged when he gets a chance to play in Bruno's system, like everyone else

He was getting rave reviews when he finally broke into the team in 18/19 yet so many are quick to write him off now

Moutinho and Neves are both showing they've had a new lease of life under Bruno and there's no reason the Donk can't either

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Donk is a good player, had a poor season last year but didn't they all?
If anything I'm concerned we're a CM short already, all it needs is an injury and we have no cover on the bench. He will get game time over the season, no way are Neves and Moutinho playing every minute of every game.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've only got three, he needs to stay wrapped in cotton wool in case we lose one of the other two!

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Small squad personally. Think there is a lot of inevitable waste in the big squad approach, and I'm not sure how many experienced players there are out there that I would want that are happy to sit on the bench at a club without European football.
Quite. Our forward options now, or in the near future, could probably do with a Europa campaign and decent cup runs to give them all plenty of game time, keep up the development of Fabio, Trincao, Neto when he comes back.
But then 1: we’re not in it 2: the MF isn’t deep enough.

Donk shouldn’t really have too many issues atm.
Gotta fight for that shirt. Moutinho surely can’t play 90 mins every game, Neves is undroppable on current form, he’s either got to wait or be so utterly magnificent in training or the league cup that Bruno feels he has to throw him in.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m conflicted to some extent as I really dont rate him as a player. But that aside, if his role is not to come off the bench on 70mins to protect a slim lead, then what is his role? We have better players to keep the ball then him and keep on the front foot (rather than sit deep and wait for the inevitable).

Maybe it’s between him and mouts for the starting position alongside neves as can’t see mouts being asked to play every game? But even trincao looks comfortable running through the middle and can find defence splitting passes. So maybe when Neto is back it pushes donk further away from a central midfield starting role.

i can’t see a full Belgian international being happy to sit on the sidelines in a World Cup year where he needs to play regularly (and play well) to get on the plane to Qatar.
I think you sort of answered your own question really
We dont seem to sit back and protect anymore,more high press and pin the opposition back that way
I like Donk,but hes a work horse type,and maybe Bruno doesnt fancy that type of player,but im sure he will get games and still be a useful squad player

Bob Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Very hypothetical so try not to shoot me down too quickly. If we played 433 and had someone in the sanches mould. I think Donk would be an ideal player to have at the base of the midfield three to allow a rejuvenated neves and another more forward thinking player support the attacks and keep possession.

He is decent in the air, fairly mobile despite his funny gait and is fairly decent at keeping possession despite not having a massive passing range. I think people get frustrated with him as he was asked to often be our most attacking midfielder, which isn’t his game.
The only thing is he needs to be locked in a room with marcal, saiss and Mosquera to learn a bit of aggression and general poohousery.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's very early in the season and with our injury list of late no time to be writing off a very useful international member of the squad.
By Christmas, hopefully, we'll have a much better idea of the overall strength and availability to Lage; but I'd be surprised if Dendoncker was still simply warming the bench each week. The longer term wear and tear on players operating at an increased tempo is as yet an unknown iro of this squad.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Small squad personally. Think there is a lot of inevitable waste in the big squad approach, and I'm not sure how many experienced players there are out there that I would want that are happy to sit on the bench at a club without European football.
I think there is a happy medium, which changes of course when you are staying in more competitions. There was a slightly tongue in cheek element to my question by the way!

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know. The whole problem with having a big squad is keeping players happy. The whole problem with having a small squad is losing one player to injury leaves you buggered.
Donk isn't as good as Neves or Moutinho.

Donk has been happy enough playing 2nd fiddle before.

Donk knows he'll play cup games and whenever Neves or Moutinho are unavailable.

I don't really see a problem. I don't see Donk forcing a move either.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Donk isn't as good as Neves or Moutinho.

Donk has been happy enough playing 2nd fiddle before.

Donk knows he'll play cup games and whenever Neves or Moutinho are unavailable.

I don't really see a problem. I don't see Donk forcing a move either.
I guess we'll see how that goes.

NewOrder306

Groupie
Reaction score
I guess we'll see how that goes.
I think Donk is "OK" but what he does bring in a small squad is versatility. He is a jack of all trades in a few positions, he is not a master in any of them from what I can see but can fill the gaps (and does) when asked and needed. With a threadbare squad in midfield and with a back line that needs support from time to time, great to have him..........and stepping back and thinking where we were and where we are now, reality check needed that we have a Midfielder from the Worlds number one national team that cant get a regular start at THE WOLVES.

Out of Darkness...........

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
stepping back and thinking where we were and where we are now, reality check needed that we have a Midfielder from the Worlds number one national team that cant get a regular start at THE WOLVES.

Out of Darkness...........

Oh stop this world's number 1 team nonsense - England are ranked higher than Italy, USA and Mexico 6 and 7 spots higher than Germany, the rankings are a shambles.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The guy had a bad season last year but so did most of the squad so he deserves to be judged when he gets a chance to play in Bruno's system, like everyone else

He was getting rave reviews when he finally broke into the team in 18/19 yet so many are quick to write him off now

Moutinho and Neves are both showing they've had a new lease of life under Bruno and there's no reason the Donk can't either

Pre-season, he also looked better than he has done for ages. Same as most (all?) of the others. I think it too early to write him off yet and still has a role to play. He just hasn't had a chance because Neves and Moutinho have been excellent so far. The thing we've been lacking - finishing - is not his strength, either, unfortunately. Better than Moutinho, not as good as Neves. Though looking back, these days, there isn't much in it and Donk is far more likely to score from a corner/cross. I expect to see him used at some point and also to do better than most expect.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh stop this world's number 1 team nonsense - England are ranked higher than Italy, USA and Mexico 6 and 7 spots higher than Germany, the rankings are a shambles.

Yes, it's hilarious how international managers are both "genius" and "clueless" at the same time depending on whether they select a Wolves player or not. And whatever the persons bias, of course.

What about that striker from the worlds #19 team? Ranked far higher than South Korea yet derided on here.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's a decent squad player, offers some energy (although slow) physicality and can play in a couple of positions.

Shouldn't be a starter but he's okay to have on the bench.

Back
Top Bottom