Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Dave Jones

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
As Sheff Weds manager played 16- won 12 drawn 4.

Not bad.

As much as I disliked him after he left us- he has done well there.

Last edited by a moderator:

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never disliked him.

Always had a good record wherever he's managed, and he did a fantastic job for us.

Top bloke and glad to see him doing well.

R

RichDavi

As Sheff Weds manager played 16- won 12 drawn 6.

Not bad.

As much as I disliked him after he left us- he has done well there.

The guy is a $$$$ing magician, he's won and drawn more games than he's managed!

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Top manager - used to make me laugh, when some of our more stupid supporters, vilified him for not running around the technical area,

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have a lot of time for Jones, on a personal level and as a manager.

If only he would have had the PL backing Mick had back in 03 our history could have been shaped so much differently.

M

MonkeySpanner

Dour fool, crap manager

$$$$$$$$! Good manager who did what he was supposed to only to be hamstrung by yet another owner who just couldn't finish the job and took his money and left.

And before everybody jumps down my throat, yes! Sir Jack did wonders but please don't be so naive that he didn't make a tidy sum from all the dealings he had at Wolves. Oh! I don't have a problem with that either, but don't blame Dave Jones for our pathetic tilt at the Prem under his reign.

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great manager, very happy for him. Also: Owls are pretty much the only team in the championship that I don't hate.

I

It's Mixu Paatelainen

Makes me laugh that the some fans who vilify Mick McCarthy for being "just a Championship manager" still idolise this guy.

Never forgiven him for the debacle in the last couple of months at the end of the 2001/02 season. It hurt too much.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Makes me laugh that the some fans who vilify Mick McCarthy for being "just a Championship manager" still idolise this guy.

Never forgiven him for the debacle in the last couple of months at the end of the 2001/02 season. It hurt too much.

I liked both of them.

L

long ball man

Dave Jones eh/ Nice guy who much like McCarthy divides opinion.

I think he is a very good Championship manager who with the right backing may be a ble to keep a side in the Prem for a few seasons. His 2001/02 pre collapse team played the most entertaining football I have seen at Molineux so on that basis alone you have to like the guy.

However not a man to build your club around. His modus operandi is to buy experienced players with no resale value...basically you are always dipping your hand in your pocket if you are Chairman of a club managed by Jones. For that reason and fact that this guy is nowhere near as funny as McCarthy I rate him 2nd best of our two Championship promotion winning managers

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not again! Move on from the dinosaurs we have a dynamic new and INTELLIGENT manager at last.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
$$$$$$$$! Good manager who did what he was supposed to only to be hamstrung by yet another owner who just couldn't finish the job and took his money and left.

And before everybody jumps down my throat, yes! Sir Jack did wonders but please don't be so naive that he didn't make a tidy sum from all the dealings he had at Wolves. Oh! I don't have a problem with that either, but don't blame Dave Jones for our pathetic tilt at the Prem under his reign.

Yep, writing off millions and then selling the club for £10 is a very tidy sum...

E

Essex Wolf

Jones is another manager that found the PL too hard to deal with.

He left Wolves years ago and whilst doing okay wherever he went has hardly pulled up any trees.

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You must still be in the afterglow of the win Essex - that's the most reasoned post I can remember from you about Jones!! :D

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dave Jones eh/ Nice guy who much like McCarthy divides opinion.

I think he is a very good Championship manager who with the right backing may be a ble to keep a side in the Prem for a few seasons. His 2001/02 pre collapse team played the most entertaining football I have seen at Molineux so on that basis alone you have to like the guy.

However not a man to build your club around. His modus operandi is to buy experienced players with no resale value...basically you are always dipping your hand in your pocket if you are Chairman of a club managed by Jones. For that reason and fact that this guy is nowhere near as funny as McCarthy I rate him 2nd best of our two Championship promotion winning managers

Pretty spot on.

The team he assembled in 2001/02 played some of the best football I've ever seen at Wolves (pre collapse of course).

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbh the only guy to blame for his sacking is Matt Jarvis his goal got him sacked

W

we8wba

good championship manager

how many playoffs he ended up in? glad to see him win under pressure last year as been suspect of his performance when its "crunch time"

sheff weds will become a solid champ side once again if they keep him

Wolv3nsam

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aren't some of those games from League One? I'd hope he'd have the tactical nous to win games in that league, to be honest...

G

grumpee

I'd win 10 games in League One with that squad. Let's see how he goes this year.

Lovely bloke, decent enough manager who wasn't supported properly here. This is old news though. Wish him and Wednesday well - always liked them as a club.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Decent man and excellent Manager! Vilified by most on here who hadn't a clue!

Carried the burden of the choke season for Mixers when the villan that was Muscat came away unscathed.

On arrival in the Prem was then shafted by the Board!

Will always have a lot of time for Dave!

B

Bankswolf II

Heard on the radio he had made 8 signings with a further few more on the way

Thats what DJ is good at building a new squad on a budget and making them play attacking football, sadly his problem lies at finishing the job off or creating a defence that doesnt leak goals

I wish him all the best

D

Dewsburywolf

Heard on the radio he had made 8 signings with a further few more on the way

Thats what DJ is good at building a new squad on a budget and making them play attacking football, sadly his problem lies at finishing the job off or creating a defence that doesnt leak goals

2001/02 was on a budget? :eek:

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not again! Move on from the dinosaurs we have a dynamic new and INTELLIGENT manager at last.

Thats how the fans view him at the moment. And, like Jones and McCarthy, will be a hero if he gets us promoted - but if he fails in the Premiership, no doubt the usual comments of "$$$$ manager", "$$$$", "scum of the earth", "always hated the $$$$", "couldn't manage a $$$$ up in a brewery" will start from the people that can't remember the past.

Isn't that how it works on this board?....

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats how the fans view him at the moment. And, like Jones and McCarthy, will be a hero if he gets us promoted - but if he fails in the Premiership, no doubt the usual comments of "$$$$ manager", "$$$$", "scum of the earth", "always hated the $$$$", "couldn't manage a $$$$ up in a brewery" will start from the people that can't remember the past.

Isn't that how it works on this board?....

Got it in one RJ!

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dave Jones.....not a man to build your club around. His modus operandi is to buy experienced players with no resale value...

I'm surprised you say that and it's a statement I'd hotly contest. He gave the board a choice. Pay now or invest for the future. Ok, they went the pay now but even then he did try and bring youth through and what a side we had. Now at Wednesday, he's put a side together on bugger all money including a Spanish under 21 from Barca on loan.

arooooo

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yep, writing off millions and then selling the club for £10 is a very tidy sum...
Thank you, Sedgley.

You believe that? How much was Morgan told to 'invest' in the club? £30 million was it?
I don't "believe" anything, I *know* for a definite fact.

The 30 mill went into the CLUB. That was a condition of Jack's letting it go for virtually nothing: real commitment to Wolves.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where oh where do I start with Dave Jones.....£15m on players anyone who had a passing interest in football would have known about (dismissing players like Kim Kallstrom as 'not good enough' - guess what inept one he's done more in football than you ever will) and probably the biggest wage budget of any non-relegated team in the history of the Championship in his first full season after doing precisely nothing with the squad Colin Lee had at 12th. All good players as you would expect from proven Premier League performers and unsurprisingly some excellent football....and yet we choked, and we choked because when Kennedy got injured he signed Kevin Cooper who whilst a decent player completely shifted the balance of the team, and instead of inspiring the players over the line even in spite of poor form (like Mick did) he conveyed his usual dour demeanour to a dressing room in desperate need of some leadership.

Season 2 he adds probably the two highest paid players in the history of the PL - Ince and Irwin - and we still have to go up through the play offs after Jones plays some lopsided 4-3-3 which the players are clearly struggling with for the majority of the season. So by default we go up with a premier league wage bill and an entire team that needed no leadership whatsoever.

Ah the premier league campaign....now I know the challenges that face promoted sides....everyone competing for the same players, having to take gambles, etc. But the laughable fiasco with Gazza and Dino Baggio was just the start....he was unlucky with Mbami and Kameni to be fair but two years scouting Silas and he gets 45 minutes of first team action. Hassan Kachloul barely got a sniff despite looking quality when he played. Luzhny was a dreadful signing. Then onto the second part of the campaign...

So Iversen after a poor first few games and a dreadful miss against Birmingham starts to look the part after finding fitness having been brought in very late in the summer by Jones and just thrown into the first team despite being clearly nowhere near match fit. So what does Jones then do, drop him for Carl Cort. Admittedly Cort did eventually start to find form but why drop Iversen who was performing? Why drop Oakes who was excellent in the early part of the season for his mate Paul Jones who took the $$$$?

Then his relationship with the players- he alienated Naylor by publically blaming him for the goal against Bolton, he hacked off Miller, publically sniggered at Okoronkwo when someone suggested his inclusion in the worst performing defence in the division and then brings him in and expects him to perform. All this with the arrogance of a bloke who had absolutely nothing to be smug about. All this after bleating all season he couldn't have another £20m to dismantle the side he put together only two seasons before and blaming everyone but himself.

Then, he signs Seol and Olofinjana, brings Lescott back clearly before he's ready, risking him injury just like he did Iversen, every single one of his signings slowly departs on a free transfer and he alienates two more players, Ince and Butler, the latter by lying to him about his contract.

I was calling for the sacking of Jones even the day after Cardiff because I knew what was coming....comparisons to Mick are laughable, Mick may have lost the plot eventually but at least he had a plot. Jones record as Wolves manager when you take into account everything was a joke.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Where oh where do I start with Dave Jones.....£15m on players anyone who had a passing interest in football would have known about (dismissing players like Kim Kallstrom as 'not good enough' - guess what inept one he's done more in football than you ever will) and probably the biggest wage budget of any non-relegated team in the history of the Championship in his first full season after doing precisely nothing with the squad Colin Lee had at 12th. All good players as you would expect from proven Premier League performers and unsurprisingly some excellent football....and yet we choked, and we choked because when Kennedy got injured he signed Kevin Cooper who whilst a decent player completely shifted the balance of the team, and instead of inspiring the players over the line even in spite of poor form (like Mick did) he conveyed his usual dour demeanour to a dressing room in desperate need of some leadership.

Season 2 he adds probably the two highest paid players in the history of the PL - Ince and Irwin - and we still have to go up through the play offs after Jones plays some lopsided 4-3-3 which the players are clearly struggling with for the majority of the season. So by default we go up with a premier league wage bill and an entire team that needed no leadership whatsoever.

Ah the premier league campaign....now I know the challenges that face promoted sides....everyone competing for the same players, having to take gambles, etc. But the laughable fiasco with Gazza and Dino Baggio was just the start....he was unlucky with Mbami and Kameni to be fair but two years scouting Silas and he gets 45 minutes of first team action. Hassan Kachloul barely got a sniff despite looking quality when he played. Luzhny was a dreadful signing. Then onto the second part of the campaign...

So Iversen after a poor first few games and a dreadful miss against Birmingham starts to look the part after finding fitness having been brought in very late in the summer by Jones and just thrown into the first team despite being clearly nowhere near match fit. So what does Jones then do, drop him for Carl Cort. Admittedly Cort did eventually start to find form but why drop Iversen who was performing? Why drop Oakes who was excellent in the early part of the season for his mate Paul Jones who took the $$$$?

Then his relationship with the players- he alienated Naylor by publically blaming him for the goal against Bolton, he hacked off Miller, publically sniggered at Okoronkwo when someone suggested his inclusion in the worst performing defence in the division and then brings him in and expects him to perform. All this with the arrogance of a bloke who had absolutely nothing to be smug about. All this after bleating all season he couldn't have another £20m to dismantle the side he put together only two seasons before and blaming everyone but himself.

Then, he signs Seol and Olofinjana, brings Lescott back clearly before he's ready, risking him injury just like he did Iversen, every single one of his signings slowly departs on a free transfer and he alienates two more players, Ince and Butler, the latter by lying to him about his contract.

I was calling for the sacking of Jones even the day after Cardiff because I knew what was coming....comparisons to Mick are laughable, Mick may have lost the plot eventually but at least he had a plot. Jones record as Wolves manager when you take into account everything was a joke.

Not a fan of Dave Jones then?

Back
Top Bottom