Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Dates for rearranged Liverpool (and City) games

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Trying to work out when they’ll be.

This is NOT a thread for debating why they were postponed but when they’ll happen.

At the moment Liverpool but I would expect next weeks fixtures may also be cancelled as close to funeral.

As I see it Liverpool (and City) are in CL and so that closes off all midweeks prior to World Cup. Assuming they advance in CL, FA Cup and EFL then:

EFL 4th Round is 20/21 December. QF is 10/11 Jan. SF is 25/1 and 1/2.

CL Round of 16 starts 14/15 or 21/22 Feb (with return fixtures 7/8 or 14/15 Mar). QF 11/12 and 18/19 April. SF 9/10 and 16/17 May.

FA Cup 5th around is 1st March.

England fixture 22/29 March.

So only midweek dates definitely free appeads to be Jan 17th before April (although a Feb and Mar date will free up once the Round of 16 draw is made on 7 November).

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely City game will go ahead if the funeral is on Monday?
I agree. The Queen's death was too close to the w/e for these fixtures to go ahead. Imv the only way the Sat 17 games will be postponed is if the funeral is on that day or the Sunday. If the funeral is on any other following day that week I'm sure those Sat games will go ahead.

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I agree. The Queen's death was too close to the w/e for these fixtures to go ahead. Imv the only way the Sat 17 games will be postponed is if the funeral is on that day or the Sunday. If the funeral is on any other following day that week I'm sure those Sat games will go ahead.

They are unlikely to have the police to do security as they'll all be in London for the funeral work.

International break after that so could be 4 weeks until the next round of fixtures.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not so sure. Under police mutual aid lots of additional resources will go South meaning that policing big events might not be possible.

Just seen this:

• Policing and logistical issues could force further call-offs
  • London games most vulnerable before Queen’s funeral
Looks like the Wolves game could go ahead as they ideally want at least some of the games outside of the capital to be completed even if they can't do a full round of fixtures. I doubt they'll make a final decision for a few days though.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just seen this:

• Policing and logistical issues could force further call-offs
  • London games most vulnerable before Queen’s funeral
Looks like the Wolves game could go ahead as they ideally want at least some of the games outside of the capital to be completed even if they can't do a full round of fixtures. I doubt they'll make a final decision for a few days though.
We could get Serco to do security for games lol

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think whether games go ahead on 17 Sep is anything to do with policing tbh, it's all to do with if the funeral is on that Sat or the Sun. Basic respect would dictate that sporting events would not go ahead at around the same time as Queen Elizabeth's funeral.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think whether games go ahead on 17 Sep is anything to do with policing tbh, it's all to do with if the funeral is on that Sat or the Sun. Basic respect would dictate that sporting events would not go ahead at around the same time as Queen Elizabeth's funeral.

The funeral is being planned for Monday 19th.

Only fans of teams playing in London will be moaning about lack of fixtures next weekend.

(Although maybe we should delay Erling coming to town while he’s scoring two goals every week).

:)

LosgallardosWolf

Reaction score
Play all games next weekend at 3pm Saturday. Police will then be free for preparations in london on Sunday and the funeral on Monday. Sky/BT can make the sacrifice for a change instead of the fans.

Makes sense to me but I know it would never happen.
Knowing Police operations as I do, it will most likely travel to London early doors and not know what your doing till you get there, and also knowing the police they won't give a **** about welfare so possible games could go ahead, although my personal thought is cancel them out of respect.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have a unprecedented World Cup crammed into the middle of the season. We cannot afford to go 4 weeks without any league fixtures.
Yes, watch out late season for teams with small squads struggling....

So Forest should be alright...

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Knowing Police operations as I do, it will most likely travel to London early doors and not know what your doing till you get there, and also knowing the police they won't give a **** about welfare so possible games could go ahead, although my personal thought is cancel them out of respect.
TJF ?

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The London fixture will be postponed as they’re mostly on the Sunday, including Chelsea vs Liverpool on Sunday 4.30. They will then say that those who play will have an unfair advantage and the police resources will be depleted with mutual aid therefore all matches postponed.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a note, the State Funeral will be a Bank Holiday.

Date of the Funeral to be formally confired, but I think it will be on Monday 19th. Just hope the FA and FA make a decision pronto about next weekend once the date is confirmed.

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As frustrating as this is it could work on our favour in the long run, we have a decent squad that didn’t really have a full pre season due to players returning from injury and signing for us in dribs and drabs and as a consequence they are not looking like a cohesive unit yet; this little break will allow Bruno to work with them and develop understanding and ways of working.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Debate here is meant to be when will Liverpool and (if/when postponed City) games can be played. Not until NY in my opinion.

For those saying let’s play on Saturday - whilst I’m very happy to bite the Sky hand that feeds us it’s not going to happen as Arsenal, United and West Ham are playing on Thursday night.

Reaction score
Cancelling games this weekend wasn’t really necessary imho but cancelling them next weekend unless due to something like policing issues would be completely over the top.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The London fixture will be postponed as they’re mostly on the Sunday, including Chelsea vs Liverpool on Sunday 4.30. They will then say that those who play will have an unfair advantage and the police resources will be depleted with mutual aid therefore all matches postponed.
Sounds accurate I can see next week being postponed too. Maybe play midweek game after the funeral but we are approaching international break soon too

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a note, the State Funeral will be a Bank Holiday.

Date of the Funeral to be formally confired, but I think it will be on Monday 19th. Just hope the FA and FA make a decision pronto about next weekend once the date is confirmed.
The first sentence is likely but not a certainty.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cancelling games this weekend wasn’t really necessary imho but cancelling them next weekend unless due to something like policing issues would be completely over the top.
Any (and l expect all PL/EFL games as a minimum to be off) cancellations next weekend would likely be for exactly that.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Monday 19th confirmed as the funeral and a Bank Holiday.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was quite alright for horse racing, rugger and cricket to take place this weekend. Get the bloody football back on!!!
Interesting that some horse racing going ahead as this was the Queen's no 1 passion? I'd have thought that if any sport would be cancelled to show respects it would be horse racing, but what do I know?!

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was quite alright for horse racing, rugger and cricket to take place this weekend. Get the bloody football back on!!!
Minute’s silence and other pre match mo ents of respect impeccably observed. Sadly, no guarantee of that with football. The small minority would, I fear, have ruined it for the vast majority.

jeb01

Reaction score
Funny that. I have a problem with this weekend being cancelled but none with next weekend!
On TMS it was mentioned that as The Oval is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall (ie the Prince of Wales) the views of the royal family were sought, and they encouraged the Test match to begin today.
Wonder if the EPL and EFL did the same? Presumably not, as If they had then surely the answer would have been the same if only to be consistent.

In any event the football authorities now have a problem about next weekends fixtures, with the State Funeral on Monday the 19th.

Back
Top Bottom