Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Cup or League

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It seem as if even the lamestream media are taking our assault on a Champion's League place seriously and like Man Utd, we have two opportunities to enter the CL, through a league finish or via the Europa League.

Given ours and Utd's involvement in the Europa League (where one of the places from the league goes to the EL cup winners of that country) and the ongoing saga around Man City and their potential (non-)involvement in European competition, where do you think our best chance of qualification lies?

For what it's worth it seems as if we will need a top three finish in the league if Utd win the EL and it would be galling to finish fourth and not get a spot. Equally it would be beautiful to deny one of the big clubs a CL berth with winning the EL. It is also possible that finishing fifth will be enough if City are banned . . . .

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only thing we can do is try equally hard to win every game we play, which is Nuno's philosophy, and not be too clever in prioritising one competition over another.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It seem as if even the lamestream media are taking our assault on a Champion's League place seriously and like Man Utd, we have two opportunities to enter the CL, through a league finish or via the Europa League.

Given ours and Utd's involvement in the Europa League (where one of the places from the league goes to the EL cup winners of that country) and the ongoing saga around Man City and their potential (non-)involvement in European competition, where do you think our best chance of qualification lies?

For what it's worth it seems as if we will need a top three finish in the league if Utd win the EL and it would be galling to finish fourth and not get a spot. Equally it would be beautiful to deny one of the big clubs a CL berth with winning the EL. It is also possible that finishing fifth will be enough if City are banned . . . .
One day at a time, one game at a time, tough game, very tough. Stay humble.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

A team finishing 4th (aside from City who are banned as it stands) is guaranteed a CL spot, regardless of whether or not Utd/we win the EL.

There can be 5 English teams in the CL – this has already occurred before (2005/06) and would have been the case this season if Arsenal had beaten Chelsea in the EL Final at the end of last season.

The only knock-on effect of that situation is that there will only be two EL entrants from the Premier League then as no country can have more than 7 teams competing in Europe at once.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A team finishing 4th (aside from City who are banned as it stands) is guaranteed a CL spot, regardless of whether or not Utd/we win the EL.

There can be 5 English teams in the CL – this has already occurred before (2005/06) and would have been the case this season if Arsenal had beaten Chelsea in the EL Final at the end of last season.

The only knock-on effect of that situation is that there will only be two EL entrants from the Premier League then as no country can have more than 7 teams competing in Europe at once.
OK. I thought the rule had changed / was changing on this, but I'll take your word for it.

I guess that's better for us then!

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
OK. I thought the rule had changed / was changing on this, but I'll take your word for it.

I guess that's better for us then!
The only way we’d be screwed is if United win the Europa League and another English side wins the Champions League but both finish outside the top 4

Back
Top Bottom