Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Cricket... **** isn't it?

S

Skyraker

I've just got home and watched the highlights.....

..... there are no adjectives to describe what I have just witnessed, so I'll invent one.

"If Wolves 4 Leicester 3 was an adjective, it would probably be the best adjective in the world"

Anyway, back to damp patches and the lack of signings :)

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always thought of Cricket as 'camp rounders'. Edge of my seat stuff though, like I was for the Olympic Netball. And just like Netball and with Women's football, Cricket is not about to go on my weekly watch list.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've just got home and watched the highlights.....

..... there are no adjectives to describe what I have just witnessed, so I'll invent one.

"If Wolves 4 Leicester 3 was an adjective, it would probably be the best adjective in the world"

Anyway, back to damp patches and the lack of signings :)

I was exhausted listening to it on Radio 5live. At last, and England team that didn't bottle it when it mattered! Brilliant. And a brilliant game. Love cricket. Best of all summer sports. Even yanks are getting converted!

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I caught the blockbuster end. (After the Wimbledon final, which was worth watching).

So it took a home hosted World Cup final, with dramatic tie-break finish, to be relatively gripping. And was still bloody annoyed at how long it took to change over in the super over, and tweak the field every ball.

Cricket still not for me. A bad football match is a challenging watch, but I’d hate to see a bad cricket one having only been mildly interested with the pinnacle of drama.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I caught the blockbuster end. (After the Wimbledon final, which was worth watching).

So it took a home hosted World Cup final, with dramatic tie-break finish, to be relatively gripping. And was still bloody annoyed at how long it took to change over in the super over, and tweak the field every ball.

Cricket still not for me. A bad football match is a challenging watch, but I’d hate to see a bad cricket one having only been mildly interested with the pinnacle of drama.

A bit like football teams taking an age to decide on their penalty takers I suppose for a penalty shoot-out. Or argue the toss over every contentious refereeing decision. Or tweak their defensive walls for free kicks with lots of pushing and shoving along the way. Or winning teams trying to run the ball into the corner for the last 10mins of crucial games! :p:D

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was exhausted listening to it on Radio 5live. At last, and England team that didn't bottle it when it mattered! Brilliant. And a brilliant game. Love cricket. Best of all summer sports. Even yanks are getting converted!

We were converted in the 1860s, long ago. We simply decided upon shortening it and wearing pajamas instead.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It says it all that I looked at the score (241/8 and 241) and thought NZ has won (lost fewer wickets). Then I looked at the “super over” and saw it was 15/0 and 15/1 and thought England had won (lost fewer wickets). It was only when I watched the news I realised England actually won coz they scored more boundaries.

Fancy not being able to tell who won and how just from looking at the score.

It is ****, yeah.

;)

A

Amiga-wolf

Cricket isn't for everyone, But the final will go down in history as the most memorable ever. Fair play to England (especially Ben Stokes) but also a mention for New Zealand, I thought they had won it, and probably would have had it not been for the ball going to the boundary off Ben stokes bat as he dived in.

Two committed teams, both can be proud. England left smiling. Great game.

Last edited by a moderator:

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only thing that REALLY annoyed me was this:

Final over.. England desperately try to run for two. As the NZ fielder threw it in.. my Internet connection started buffering and picture froze.

I scrambled for the remote to get the telly onto terrestrial C4

I missed THAT incident which went for 6, and a wicket.

I was only watching on Internet because I have a shiny new system and it’s a toy still.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched it at our local Cricket Club, my lad played in a Cricket Finals in the morning, then back to the club for the World Cup, the last 10 overs and the Super Over was sport at its best, the tension and drama absolutely amazing.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite incredible, and in all of the decades following Wolves I'm not sure if I've ever witnessed anything comparable, although there have been plenty of special last minute triumphs along the way.
Breathtaking, that's all I can say, congratulations to all of the England Cricket team.

Now back to business, have we signed anybody yet........ ;)

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched the game from about half way through the England innings when it started getting interesting. Game shifted to England then back to NZ, backwards and forwards to the final ball and run of the super over. Switched from Sky Go to live C4 for the final couple of regular overs as I knew I was about a minute behind and didn’t want to have the result spoiled. Wife joined me after the tennis finished and we both enjoyed it. Never seen a finish like it. Drama, two committed sides and a crowd who added to the atmosphere.

Mate, another Wolves fan, was there and is a cricket nut, so must have been in heaven.

Hixon Wolf

Reaction score
I don't like cricket....I love it

If crickets not your thing though I can understand why people are so turned off by it. Even the shorter, limited overs games take hours to play.

Still, I love the sport and has been a welcome distraction whilst the football is in its off-season.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always have been a big cricket fan, but.....

England only won because of those four overthrows. I am sure it was not intentional by Stokes, but when the ball hits the bat when being thrown from the outfield it should be declared dead.

Sorry but I had to have my little moan. It was a great game though.

Back
Top Bottom