Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Covid and morale

Brightonwolf

Reaction score
Reading comments about the team and seeing Nuno seem quite low I do wonder how much effect isolation and quarantine has had on the team. Whilst I appreciate many clubs will have a foreign contingent I only care about Wolves. I know early this year Nuno hadn’t seen his family and I’m not sure if that has changed. I like many on the forum can’t see family this Christmas and for many players it may have been months without seeing parents etc. I know the team have a good family ethos but I’m not sure how their bubbles work etc when not training?
I appreciate we want to win every game or at least play with a bit more oomf but few that this situation could be hindering them.
Is it just me or does anyone else think this?

Lawndog

Reaction score
Well, homesickness is a very strange thing! Could be Nuno is missing his family, mainly because travel is so hard now!......I mean, psychologically, if he was confident he could 'escape' to Portugal for a few days and then resume work, it wouldn't seem so bad.....

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I heard on TalkSport earlier how surprised BFS was at the effect Covid had had on preparations along with the added fatigue build up.

When you think of how busy our season was along with a miniscule pre-season I do wonder how drained players must be.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I imagine the players and staff were like most humans with it. Initially it wasnt as difficult as now, I think we all felt a couple of months of lockdown and life in general would be back to normal.

It feels worse in general currently, as its not got better, in fact we are in a worse situation than we were 10 months ago. It has to play on players and staff's minds having their loved ones abroad.

Personally I think the season will be suspended again in a few weeks and the whole situation just becomes even more bleak.

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can see where you are coming from, a big part of our team spirit came from the togetherness of the squad. Birthday meals together, celebrations and themed nights. With restrictions on these things outside of training is the bonding the same? As you say, how long since the players or Nuno and his team have seen family or friends back home. Much of Nuno's philosophy has been about team spirit and togetherness, how much of that has been lost with restrictions on gatherings outside of training.

Nuno started to look more cheerful when the possibilty of fans returning was on the horizon, now that has been knocked back for who knows how long he looks down again. With no end in sight it must feel like they are going through the motions, trudging along with very little to look forward to like the rest of us. It could be why we are seeing strange results across the league as teams players mental fatigue and concentration goes up and down in these unusual times.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doesnt seem to have affected the likes of Southampton, Leicester and possibly Everton too badly. Vile also looking a lot better than last season. Not saying it hasnt helped but arent we almost starting to look for excuses now? I keep hearing the excuse about not having much of a pre season but we are at the end of December now. How much longer will some of these be acceptable excuses whilst other sides seem to be managing ok? I find it hard to accept that last nights poor tactics and line up can in any way be attributed to Covid.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doesnt seem to have affected the likes of Southampton, Leicester and possibly Everton too badly. Vile also looking a lot better than last season. Not saying it hasnt helped but arent we almost starting to look for excuses now? I keep hearing the excuse about not having much of a pre season but we are at the end of December now. How much longer will some of these be acceptable excuses whilst other sides seem to be managing ok? I find it hard to accept that last nights poor tactics and line up can in any way be attributed to Covid.
You question the effects of a preseason, but start by mentioning 3 teams doing well, who all had atleast 3x the time we had? Which also included way more rest

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You question the effects of a preseason, but start by mentioning 3 teams doing well, who all had atleast 3x the time we had? Which also included way more rest

So the pre season is the excuse for performances and tactics like last night and in other games this season? I just dont see this one bit and feel it is just an excuse that will keep being repeated this season to excuse poor performances and negative approaches to games. My big concern is we saw these performances after lock down last season and dont appear to be learning from our mistakes. If anything we are looking worse apart from occasional flashes in games. I just dont buy the pre season excuse anymore. Just feels too convenient to me when I feel that is not the major issue as it currently stands. I cant accept that a performance like last night and in some other games this season can be used as an almost ' oh well we didnt have so much of a pre season' so this is what happens attitude. There is more to this than a lack of pre season in my opinion. That is how I feel.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

One of those teams in Leicester are playing 3 games a week for most of this season now. They have a bigger squad and more ready made options. We unfortunately dont after two poor summer transfer windows in a row, in my opinion. I have said this many times before and been slated for my opinions but the small squad obsession at Wolves is now biting us on the ****. Couple this with the majority of the signings in the summer not making a major impact so far this season and this is why we arent looking as convincing this season. The pre season and lack of it is an excuse in my opinion. If the summer recruitment had been better and more balanced we wouldnt be having this conversation in my opinion. We just havent improved the starting eleven yet again in the summer. That is the major problem, in my opinion. I will be no doubt slated for it as usual but they you are. That is what I feel.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I think the season will be suspended again in a few weeks and the whole situation just becomes even more bleak.
Think you might be right, have the same feeling myself.

It has to be hard for the majority of our squad and coaching staff, it really does. It's hard enough for a lot of us anyway ( I think I've done pretty well compared to many!) but at least at the end of the day we get to go to our proper home, some of them don't know when they'll see their families again

Ernie the Wolf

Reaction score
Think you might be right, have the same feeling myself.

It has to be hard for the majority of our squad and coaching staff, it really does. It's hard enough for a lot of us anyway ( I think I've done pretty well compared to many!) but at least at the end of the day we get to go to our proper home, some of them don't know when they'll see their families again
Maybe Nuno cannot get home to his family for Christmas because of the latest restrictions relating to COVID-19 regarding travelling. That may explain his demeanour last night and his outburst against Lee Mason, so different to how he was a week ago. If this is the reason, I feel so sorry for him - the strain must be enormous.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of those teams in Leicester are playing 3 games a week for most of this season now. They have a bigger squad and more ready made options. We unfortunately dont after two poor summer transfer windows in a row, in my opinion. I have said this many times before and been slated for my opinions but the small squad obsession at Wolves is now biting us on the ****. Couple this with the majority of the signings in the summer not making a major impact so far this season and this is why we arent looking as convincing this season. The pre season and lack of it is an excuse in my opinion. If the summer recruitment had been better and more balanced we wouldnt be having this conversation in my opinion. We just havent improved the starting eleven yet again in the summer. That is the major problem, in my opinion. I will be no doubt slated for it as usual but they you are. That is what I feel.
Your entitled to your opinion, but I look at things differently.

The squad that finished last season, as much as I loved watching them had reached their limit. They had gone as far they could, it wasn't 1 or 2 players required to push us into top 4 this season, with Jota/Doc deciding they wanted to move on it was probably 5/6top class players.

Could we invest 150m, possibly but probably not. With the squad looking a safe bet for mid table, the club decided to invest in some of top youth talent available. That could prove to be the best decision we could have made.

We have more chance of top 8 than relegation and for a side not playing to its potential and trying to find our best formation, with 2 of our best players with long term injuries, we ain't doing to bad.

Say we spent the 150m, pushed for top 6 but ultimately missed out on top 4/6, our hands would be tied for a couple of windows due to ffp, then the fans would be jumping on the club for making a huge error. Wages would be high and one or two would again see there futures elsewhere. Even if we broke into top 6,what then? Spend another 100m+ or stand still and watch those around us overtake us?

There's a thread on here about the youngsters we could be playing in our team in a year or two, have your read it?

The potential in that, if they stay together is unreal.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's difficult, but it's the same for our opponents.

If there is a season to consolidate, experiment new things and take a small step backwards to launch forward in the future then safe to say we've chosen the right one.

Imagine if we were in the latter stages of the European competitions this year or fighting for a league title and having to watch it played in an empty stadium listening to Tyler or Tildsley excreting their stats and anicdotes as an accompaniment.

Not the time or place this year. Consolidate this year and go again.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading comments about the team and seeing Nuno seem quite low I do wonder how much effect isolation and quarantine has had on the team. Whilst I appreciate many clubs will have a foreign contingent I only care about Wolves. I know early this year Nuno hadn’t seen his family and I’m not sure if that has changed. I like many on the forum can’t see family this Christmas and for many players it may have been months without seeing parents etc. I know the team have a good family ethos but I’m not sure how their bubbles work etc when not training?
I appreciate we want to win every game or at least play with a bit more oomf but few that this situation could be hindering them.
Is it just me or does anyone else think this?
I said exactly this on the Nuno thread earlier. I don't just think it's the football that seems to be affecting Nuno. He's human and suffering like many people but at least in these dark times we have our families. I'm sure Raul affected him badly, Christmas away from home and perhaps a million other things are pressing on his mind right now. It's such a shame we can't support him at Molineux; I think the dislocation from the fans has hit him hard and the realisation that this season will most probably finish behind closed doors. Many of us question what it's all about at times and I bet Nuno is wondering this right now. I hope he finds the support he needs and that he and Wolves pull through this difficult time. A New Year is often a new chapter and a new challenge and perhaps the end of 2020 will help Nuno get his mojo back.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Hold on, weren't you happy with our summer business once the window closed? I vaugley remember you saying that you wouldn't even dip into the January window if you had a choice (or something along those lines).

I mean I'm off over Xmas so happy to dig through posts if required.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The squad that finished last season, as much as I loved watching them had reached their limit. They had gone as far they could, it wasn't 1 or 2 players required to push us into top 4 this season, with Jota/Doc deciding they wanted to move on it was probably 5/6top class players.

Could we invest 150m, possibly but probably not. With the squad looking a safe bet for mid table, the club decided to invest in some of top youth talent available. That could prove to be the best decision we could have made.

We have more chance of top 8 than relegation and for a side not playing to its potential and trying to find our best formation, with 2 of our best players with long term injuries, we ain't doing to bad.

Say we spent the 150m, pushed for top 6 but ultimately missed out on top 4/6, our hands would be tied for a couple of windows due to ffp, then the fans would be jumping on the club for making a huge error. Wages would be high and one or two would again see there futures elsewhere. Even if we broke into top 6,what then? Spend another 100m+ or stand still and watch those around us overtake us?

There's a thread on here about the youngsters we could be playing in our team in a year or two, have your read it?

Some good points there Pagey and nice to have a decent debate. I agree we have some excellent potential but we really need some players for this season and next in my opinion. We dont want to risk getting dragged down amongst the relegation battle. This league is unforgiving and you can end up looking over your shoulder if you arent careful. Not saying we are going to get relegated before anyone starts on me. Just that you have to be very careful not to become too complacent in this league. I feel we need 3 players to come in during January that can slot straight into the starting eleven. I think if we could do that and get the right players we could still have a very decent season.

Brightonwolf

Reaction score
Not excuses just a possibility of why things are not going as well as we had hoped. Our team (I can’t speak for others) seem to rely on the friendship and gatherings etc.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hold on, weren't you happy with our summer business once the window closed? I vaugley remember you saying that you wouldn't even dip into the January window if you had a choice (or something along those lines).

I mean I'm off over Xmas so happy to dig through posts if required.

This isn't directed at Jos or anyone specifically but these days football fans are all happy when something good happens and we win a game or two but as soon as we hit a rough patch it immediately needs to be solved by spending money and changing formations and even the manager. Just the world we live in sadly.

I was thinking last night, apart from Liverpool, Leicester, Leeds, and maybe Spurs [at the moment...] I think every fan base in the top flight has a decent portion of 'fans' who would change their manager to help 'get them to the next level'. I mean, what are they all expecting? Just proves it's all nonsense.

Obviously, if you've been woeful for ages - a full season or two - I get it, but most people are so short-sighted. It's actually mindblowing at times.

I remember people on here going ape that Leeds were showing 'proper' ambition, 'unlike us', by signing a German international defender [Koch], that Spanish defender [Llorente] and spending £30m on Rodrigo. The first two have been crap, the latter hasn't done anything whatsoever and is being massively outshone by Patrick Bamford.

There's examples all over the place of why people just need to relax a bit and see what happens. We haven't been let down since Nuno came in and let's see the season play out. 20 points from 14 is exactly where we were last season.

On the thread title itself, if Nuno hasn't seen his family properly since the start of all this, he must be going mad. He did sign a new contract a couple of months back though so he's clearly up for it.

Him looking sad on the bench is normal when we're crap. The other night he was probably thinking: Why has Podence flicked that instead of carrying it into the box? Why has nobody covered Semedo to stop the cross? Why has Ait-Nouri not bothered to try and stop them from scoring?

And that's all from one phase of play, let alone the rest of the game. All that work training all week to see his players act lazy and sloppy and conceding pathetic goals. No wonder he's fuming.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I too think it's only a matter of time before the professional game is suspended. This week there were loads of games in the EFL postponed because of Covid hitting their squads. All it takes is for a few of the stars at Liverpool or Man City to go down with it and the whole thing will be suspended, IMO.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

..... No wonder he's fuming.
I didn’t quote it all but I thought it served more than a like. This is the best post I’ve seen for ages.

He’s signed a new contract - I don’t think he does that lightly.

The world is a crap place generally at the moment, football is especially crap and Nuno has said as much many times.

Then, we lose Raul, Adama isn’t half the player he was last year and we play really badly in a couple of games.

After we beat Arsenal and Chelsea then we’re world-beaters in waiting, and after losing to Burnley and having his first rant for ages (he has been sent off previously) then either Nuno should be sacked or he’s depressed and going to leave.

let’s get this in perspective - we’re doing as well as we did last season and we have a hugely talented squad. We’re not in danger of relegation and this is the perfect season for transitioning- I wouldn’t want to see us win the league listening to Clive ****ing Tyldesley telling me that it doesn’t really count because vvd was injured.

Wolves are in a better position for a great future than at any point since I started watching in 1974 - let’s have our glory days in 2021/2 when we can be there to see it!

D

Deleted member 4099

Of course it’s affecting them it’s affecting the whole of society. Humans are social creatures we need social interaction that has been severely restricted. Roll out vaccine ASAP.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Of course it’s affecting them it’s affecting the whole of society. Humans are social creatures we need social interaction that has been severely restricted. Roll out vaccine ASAP.
Exactly it’s affect is on everyone footballers aren’t immune

Brightonwolf

Reaction score
6B95D8E1-7455-4D93-B5AA-194E868AE5EC.jpg
I mentioned this a while back but with the latest comments directed towards Nuno and the team it seems that Tim Spiers has raised it. As annoying as it is seeing the performances we have it’s obvious this lack of family time is taking its toll. I appreciate that many Mixers are in the same basket. Now I’m near Brighton I’ve not seen my parents apart from at my Nans funeral for nearly a year.
By all means analyse the matches and criticise performance but I don’t think we can criticise Nunos commitment and passion for this club, sadly family does come first.
Let’s not make it harder for the best manager we’ve had in my life time.
C’mon me Babbies!!

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 19296
I mentioned this a while back but with the latest comments directed towards Nuno and the team it seems that Tim Spiers has raised it. As annoying as it is seeing the performances we have it’s obvious this lack of family time is taking its toll. I appreciate that many Mixers are in the same basket. Now I’m near Brighton I’ve not seen my parents apart from at my Nans funeral for nearly a year.
By all means analyse the matches and criticise performance but I don’t think we can criticise Nunos commitment and passion for this club, sadly family does come first.
Let’s not make it harder for the best manager we’ve had in my life time.
C’mon me Babbies!!
Well said, sums it up beautifully.

Reaction score

Well said - we have had a rough few weeks in three years , so many clubs made the big push mistake, then drown with mercenaries . In Nuno......

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Zidane has tested positive for Covid. 2 days ago the president of Alcoyano, who Madrid played mid week also tested positive for Covid. The match was played un one of the places in Spain with the highest Covid rates.

Last edited:

Sideshow Bob

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I know Nuno's son was at university in Manchester and was at some of the closed doors games towards the end of last season. I sat near to him at an away game once and he was loving singing "Nuno had a dream" whilst his mate filmed him.

Brightonwolf

Reaction score
Just seen that Neves missed the birth of his child and hasn’t seen his baby yet as he’d miss games. He stated it’s my job.

Back
Top Bottom