Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Coventry Verdict

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui was Jeff Shi's preferred man since the beginning. We were always waiting for him. It really wasn't worth the wait.
I think that us playing in the PL this season disproves that. Shi finally getting his preferred man in apparently by deceitful means and then promptly losing him only reflects poorly on one person and it isn't the deceived one.... Where l will criticise JL to some extent is how he played being let down albeit he is not compelled to save Shi's face....

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
no rewriting of history here, just pointing out that as bad as we were JL isn’t the only one who could have done what he could, did worse than GON is doing and with a stronger squad too.
Apples and oranges. I know that GON had no pre-season but l don't recall him taking over a demoralised shapeless squad adrift of the rest of the league at Molineux (l know that to an extent he did so at Bournemouth)....

Edited to add:
It's not a zero sum game, you can appreciate the job that JL did last season while also recognising that GON is doing a bloody good job now.

Last edited:

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** JL. he’s part of the problem we now face into.
I know by your own admission that you are not objective when it comes to the topic of JL, but I'm afraid you'll need to run this one by me again. How exactly is he responsible for our thin squad, when most of the Summer sales went over his head, or even after he'd left? We spent in January simply because we had little choice - and the signings were very good value for the most part. The reason we came so close to FFP trouble ultimately falls on the shoulders of one Jeffrey "Teflon" Shi.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In hindsight it was probably a mistake to not push RAN further forward from the start after the success of it v Fulham.

At the time it was a brain dead decision to push him even further back for 15 mins or so on the 60th minute.

With the injuries we had limited options but not considering RAN further forward from the start, pushing RAN further back and the subbing of Doyle over Lemina were really the big calls and all were wrong.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apples and oranges. I know that GON had no pre-season but l don't recall him taking over a demoralised shapeless squad adrift of the rest of the league at Molineux (l know that to an extent he did so at Bournemouth)....

Edited to add:
It's not a zero sum game, you can appreciate the job that JL did last season while also recognising that GON is doing a bloody good job now.
absolutely, as repeatedly said i lack any form of subjectivity with JL.

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I drew up the courage to watch the highlights, it was just loose defending that cost us, they had more chances yes but our defending was really bad. Bueno forgot that he had to defend after scoring for the second one, semedo should be stopping the cross for the 3rd,

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its a sad fact that you see more of the game on TV than at the ground itself. After just 10 minutes of play it was obvious we were going to struggle. There was no fire, no desire, no *******s in that side.
For all the pre match hype of we wont take Coventry for granted, that team played like it was a gimmee.
We should have took at them from the kick off. Frightened them, harried them. What did we do ? Tippy tappy sidewards and backward, training ground fancy side and back kicks.
Who will disagree with me when I say that 15 minutes into this game Coventry realised that this Wolves side had got absolutely nothing.
Football sides need a spine. A keeper , a centre half and a centre forward. You build the side from that. It hasnt changed for a hundred years whatever the experts say.
I see posts on here saying now we can go for league position and possible Europe. Playing like this? What planet are they on?
The best I see this season is 15th or 16 th.
Perhaps GON ought to dubbin his boots we might need him.
It would be nice if the entire side donated their weeks salary to charity because they certainly didn't earn it.
Completely agree. Even worse, after getting out of jail, they returned to that lazy attitude again with only three minutes away from a semi-final spot and a winnable match against United. Still fuming and there's two weeks for this anger to fester!

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I drew up the courage to watch the highlights, it was just loose defending that cost us, they had more chances yes but our defending was really bad. Bueno forgot that he had to defend after scoring for the second one, semedo should be stopping the cross for the 3rd,
They all forgot to defend. The second goal is the most disgusting from a defensive point of view. Santiago Bueno had two chances to clear his lines but each time gave the ball tamely away to a Cov player! Disgraceful defending. Toti should never have come off. You could argue he would have been there to clear that flick on for their second goal. Oh while I'm at it Kilman was **** personified on Saturday! Cash in Wolves.

ItaliaMike

Reaction score
I moved to Italy 2 years ago and have little chance to see live games out there. So was delighted to be visiting when the Wolves match was televised on Saturday. On this forum i had read so much about the incredible affect GON has had this season , the team spirit he had developed and how the players had responded .
Fives minutes into the game I turned to my friend and said this looks like 10 players and a goalkeeper who have never played together before , no shape no tactics and bereft of ideas. Throughout the game I had to keep reminding myself this was supposedly a team who were 9th in the premier league and that the manager , just 7 days before, had in the press, been tipped as the future England manager !!
Instead I watched a team that would struggle in the Championship and a manager , okay, with injury issues up front who seemed completely unprepared for a Championship side playing with passion because they too thought they were up against a PL club. To make things worse he then did nothing positive to remedy that during the game. Maybe his lucky streak has run it’s course just like Nuno got found out with his no plan B . It was like I’d never been away watching them on Saturday !

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In hindsight it was probably a mistake to not push RAN further forward from the start after the success of it v Fulham.

At the time it was a brain dead decision to push him even further back for 15 mins or so on the 60th minute.

With the injuries we had limited options but not considering RAN further forward from the start, pushing RAN further back and the subbing of Doyle over Lemina were really the big calls and all were wrong.
Fully agreed on this. No idea why we changed our approach from the Fulham game in that respect, it worked well for us Vs much better opposition.

Think GON tried to be too cute/clever and it just backfired terribly.

BillyBoots

Groupie
Reaction score
For me the two players that pushed forward every time they got the ball were taken off, Tommy and Toti must be just me cos in the team for villa thread hardly any are picking either of them.

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To write the truth, when Wolves went up 2-1, I thought between myself, that this was very unfair, as Coventry could have already buried us, had it not been for SA. I know that we had a number of first team players injured, but it was clear from the start Coventry wanted it more than us, Less written is better.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll quite enjoy seeing Coventry turn over Man United in the semi. United fans are already talking as if they've made the final.

I'll also quite enjoy seeing Man United turning over Coventry, who got lucky to be playing us at our very weakest all season long.

I loved seeing Liverpool go out to their biggest rivals.

The season is over for us, so all I have to look forward to is watching others fail miserably.

Yes, there's still a lot to play. Villa losing out on the Champions League. Albion failing in the playoffs. Brentford getting relegated. Spurs being Spursy and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in that way that only Spurs know how. I say "only Spurs", but there's also this club in the Midlands .... lets avoid talking about them for now :(

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm still a bit angry after Saturday, we lost to the better team and even with our injury situation that just shouldn't be the case, wrong starting line up and wrong substitutions, and a defence that rarely keeps a clean sheet, thank **** Sa was having one of his better games

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
I was surprised at how bad Santi was after a good performances against Fulham. He hasn’t played a lot so you can’t put that down to fatigue. Playing alongside a poor Kilman obviously didn’t help his game. Going forward I think he needs to be played alongside Dawson if he is to learn the ins and outs of physical and fast English football and develop nouse. Kilman needs to be lead in games as it is so he isn’t going to lead anyone. We saw that with Collins last season.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why am I getting angrier the more time goes by over this result.

How did we manage to blow such a glorious shot at Wembley ffs.
Still niggles me too. Especially as they avoided Man City in the draw. A Wembley semi final would have been massive for us, although our injuries would have given me concerns for the game. Last week really made me worry our season will now fizzle out, despite Gary and the boys doing so well.

And as much as its been a great season under the circumstances (still a PL club and a bond between the fans and the club has come back), getting well beaten by a Championship team, at home, in such an important game has really deflated me a bit.

I only wish they push now for the European spot, but seeing them struggle last week I just cant see it…. :(

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still niggles me too. Especially as they avoided Man City in the draw. A Wembley semi final would have been massive for us, although our injuries would have given me concerns for the game. Last week really made me worry our season will now fizzle out, despite Gary and the boys doing so well.

And as much as its been a great season under the circumstances (still a PL club and a bond between the fans and the club has come back), getting well beaten by a Championship team, at home, in such an important game has really deflated me a bit.

I only wish they push now for the European spot, but seeing them struggle last week I just cant see it…. :(
It’s my old man’s birthday today, gone to London for the day with my mom. Rang them earlier and my dads in a foul mood cos the train went through Coventry apparently, triggered some sort of PTSD.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Gary got it wrong and so did the players end of story.

We was complacent. I remember reading we should of been 4 down at half time

Golden opportunity missed. Lick our wounds and move on.

The next goal has to be finishing as high as we can. Hoping the season doesn’t die out, many of the lads look tired. Hopefully the international break will do them some good?

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why am I getting angrier the more time goes by over this result.

How did we manage to blow such a glorious shot at Wembley ffs.
Because it's the Wolves thing.
Losing semi's (in particular) and quarters is nothing new.
The only comfort I take from this latest misery is that most of our quality players were missing. Let's be honest, Coventry couldn't have wished for an easier payday.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because our entire forward line was out injured. We would have won had they been fit.
More so referring to the fact we were winning after 96 minutes yet still somehow contrived to lose. However undeserved, it was still right there for the taking.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My trigger is that we had internationals from Spain, Portugal and Brazil in our side……….
One of those things. We lacked desire better team won and it wasn’t us. Probably hurts more as we was embarrassed by a lower league club who outfought us and outsung us. Simms and Wright are good enough for a mid table prem club. All of their goals through our own pathetic defending mind

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
he’s a great manager. the reason is he doesn’t take **** from anyone.

jeff is full of it so JL called him out. it’s that simple.

great though GON has been we are hardly Sevilla are we?
i don’t know even where to begin.

i’ll ask you this, we are hardly Sevilla…

JL didn’t think this group of players were good enough for anything, and GON has us challenging for Europe..

so if Lopetegiu is a great manager, GON is world class.

your words.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps we should agree to disagree. i think JL is great and you don’t. The reality is probably somewhere in between (but closer to great than not).
Jules was fantastic what an achievement he accomplished with us. Not his fault Jeff lied to him about the situation at Wolves. Either way both parties have parted and the grass somehow was greener for us so far despite many of us being very apprehensive

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Jules was fantastic what an achievement he accomplished with us. Not his fault Jeff lied to him about the situation at Wolves. Either way both parties have parted and the grass somehow was greener for us so far despite many of us being very apprehensive
I've made it very obvious on here that I am a huge GON 'fanboy', but if things go as well as I am hoping, we could all be looking back on that whole ordeal as a kind of butterfly effect someday. I hope.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
yep. i’d be more than happy to forget JL now, but posts like the one you reply to mean I can’t.

Without him we would be in the championship now and most of the players you mention wouldn’t be here.
That may be true but how could he have lost such faith in the squad we had? He was a tinker man too let’s not forget and we also had woeful games under JL.

No for me, he chucked his dummy and has been shown to be a ****

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've made it very obvious on here that I am a huge GON 'fanboy', but if things go as well as I am hoping, we could all be looking back on that whole ordeal as a kind of butterfly effect someday. I hope.
Gaz is doing great give him the war chest the future is all we need to worry about now

We should be thankful we are still in the PL though

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely. Give a man the right tools and he'll build you a sturdy house. I'm looking forward to the future as I'm sure lots of other people on here are as well.
He really will! I think couple of forwards and 2/3 defenders will see a mentality shift. Hard to tell who we will keep or sell at this stage though. Either way promising times ahead for the Wolves

Back
Top Bottom