Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Coventry Verdict

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ha ha, yes, we could not have bought Cunha, Sarabia, Dawson, Lemina or Gomes and then we would have had money to spend in the Summer.

Unless we'd been in the Championship of course....
it’s raining today up here, that is JL’s fault. i refuse to even try to be objective for someone i hold in the same esteem as Dean Saunders.

The way he pimped himself around, ugh

loppers86

Reaction score
JL and Hobbs were accredited with working together that Jan window that brought us Cunha, Joao Gomes, Dawson and Lemina.

Let’s not rewrite history.
yep. i’d be more than happy to forget JL now, but posts like the one you reply to mean I can’t.

Without him we would be in the championship now and most of the players you mention wouldn’t be here.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
it’s raining today up here, that is JL’s fault. i refuse to even try to be objective for someone i hold in the same esteem as Dean Saunders.

The way he pimped himself around, ugh
There's no doubt though that JL was sold a totally different vision to what was actually realistic in the context of our financial situation and FFP.

Let's not forget how utterly awful we were under Lage and how the squad had been stripped of its leaders. To compare him to Saunders when he oversaw the signing of a few key players (who are still performing well for us now) and got us to a midtable finish is way OTT.

No doubt Shi said whatever was necessary to get him here. Not absolving JL of all blame either, he's clearly a bit of a prima donna and egotist, but a lot of top coaches are.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Painful to watch back isn’t it. Why we didn’t just tuck in during injury time I don’t know. Just sit with 10men behind the ball.

Just beggers belief.
Not the 1st time we’ve been naive this season. Man U at home when we needed someone to commit a foul in the build up to the winner we instead stood off them and allowed them in.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is no-one going to comment on the fact that they out sang us all game?

They've got their Sky Blue Song, bless em. But they've also got their Coventry homes song (in our Coventry homes, we speak with an accent exceeding rare etc...), and apparently some other good'uns.

Let's be honest here, we were ****e until we went one up. I think we forget we've got loads of songs??
I feel like that’s true most games now. Atmosphere is poor!

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll quite enjoy seeing Coventry turn over Man United in the semi. United fans are already talking as if they've made the final.

I'll also quite enjoy seeing Man United turning over Coventry, who got lucky to be playing us at our very weakest all season long.

I loved seeing Liverpool go out to their biggest rivals.

The season is over for us, so all I have to look forward to is watching others fail miserably.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's no doubt though that JL was sold a totally different vision to what was actually realistic in the context of our financial situation and FFP.

Let's not forget how utterly awful we were under Lage and how the squad had been stripped of its leaders. To compare him to Saunders when he oversaw the signing of a few key players (who are still performing well for us now) and got us to a midtable finish is way OTT.

No doubt Shi said whatever was necessary to get him here. Not absolving JL of all blame either, he's clearly a bit of a prima donna and egotist, but a lot of top coaches are.
of course it’s way ott, i’ve never hidden my lack of ability to be subjective about JL. He’s an absolute dick and if he was made of chocolate then he’d eat himself.

Shi didnt pimp himself out to GB.

JL was also dead wrong about this squad, or maybe GON is just better.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its a sad fact that you see more of the game on TV than at the ground itself. After just 10 minutes of play it was obvious we were going to struggle. There was no fire, no desire, no *******s in that side.
For all the pre match hype of we wont take Coventry for granted, that team played like it was a gimmee.
We should have took at them from the kick off. Frightened them, harried them. What did we do ? Tippy tappy sidewards and backward, training ground fancy side and back kicks.
Who will disagree with me when I say that 15 minutes into this game Coventry realised that this Wolves side had got absolutely nothing.
Football sides need a spine. A keeper , a centre half and a centre forward. You build the side from that. It hasnt changed for a hundred years whatever the experts say.
I see posts on here saying now we can go for league position and possible Europe. Playing like this? What planet are they on?
The best I see this season is 15th or 16 th.
Perhaps GON ought to dubbin his boots we might need him.
It would be nice if the entire side donated their weeks salary to charity because they certainly didn't earn it.
We don’t have squad depth and have no fit forwards apart from Sarabia. The team should have had enough to beat Coventry but I think GON messed up with his tinkering.

Coventry looked fitter, physically stronger and were the better team. And they’ve played more games than us.

To be fair, we were no better v Brighton in the previous round who would have won easily if they had goal scorers. We got away with it v Fulham who likewise couldn’t hit a barn door.

GON in his post match pretty much said our squad is the result of lack of investment and gave warning that the rest of the season is going to be a struggle. Not quite a white flag but certainly pointing out the performance and result was the best we could have hoped for.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
of course it’s way ott, i’ve never hidden my lack of ability to be subjective about JL. He’s an absolute dick and if he was made of chocolate then he’d eat himself.

Yes, I mean, Lopetegui said the squad didn't have the depth to make a European place, what an idiot.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All of our songs have gone and we’ve had to resort to Gary O Neil’s barmy army over and over again.
100% this. Also feel other than bits of the south bank and a tiny bit of the Steve bull, the atmosphere is pretty much zero. It just feels so flat compared to the old days. Which is mental as the old days to me was when half the ground was shut, the ‘new stand’ was red and located in Derbyshire.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Well, Shi isn't going to pimp himself out to anyone, but he is the culprit as to why we currently have 1 fit senior attacking player, due to his financial mismanagement over the last few years.

Nobody has got luckier than him with the GON appointment who has performed well above anyone's expectations. The club has been ran poorly ever since COVID, Shi can consider himself very fortunate to still be in a job.

Clearly JL misjudged the quality of our starting XI, and his ostracisation of RAN was downright strange but I think many of us still would've liked to have seen what he could've done over the next few years with a decent budget behind him. Just look at what Emery is doing at Villa.

I don't blame JL for leaving if the goalposts massively shifted in terms of finances, I just wish it was all sorted before we even started preseason. Amateur hour all round.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
He didn’t say that he said the team couldn’t compete in the premier league
You'd have to show me the exact quote, and I can't believe I've got into this again, but those words are open to a wide variety of interpretations.

Vtrpres

Groupie
Reaction score
We don’t have squad depth and have no fit forwards apart from Sarabia. The team should have had enough to beat Coventry but I think GON messed up with his tinkering.

Coventry looked fitter, physically stronger and were the better team. And they’ve played more games than us.

To be fair, we were no better v Brighton in the previous round who would have won easily if they had goal scorers. We got away with it v Fulham who likewise couldn’t hit a barn door.

GON in his post match pretty much said our squad is the result of lack of investment and gave warning that the rest of the season is going to be a struggle. Not quite a white flag but certainly pointing out the performance and result was the best we could have hoped for.
Nice to have a constructed comment re a previous post rather than a neanderthal knee jerk slag off.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** JL. he’s part of the problem
we now face into.

How is he???

The best players in our current squad in Dawson, Gomes, Lemina and cunha were all signed to save our season and keep us in the prem after a shocking decision to keep lage in charge and then put in place holders till the World Cup.

The issues we have relate to FFP and budgets, that is all down to Jeff…..

The issue we face into is the financial mismanagement of the club

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How is he???

The best players in our current squad in Dawson, Gomes, Lemina and cunha were all signed to save our season and keep us in the prem after a shocking decision to keep lage in charge and then put in place holders till the World Cup.

The issues we have relate to FFP and budgets, that is all down to Jeff…..

The issue we face into is the financial mismanagement of the club
The two aren’t mutually exclusive, it’s possible to not rate Shi and be disgusted by JL.

as i’ve said repeatedly i can’t be rational around anything to do with JL and i don’t even hide that!

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
i’m amazed you’re defending him, but each to their own.

Have a good day gents and ladies.
I don't think either of us is going to learn anything to change his mind now. I didn't like the way he behaved over the Balague interview, I think that was misjudged, but equally I think it's pretty clear he was lied to and let's face it we got an excellent replacement who is now saying the same things - the squad has been left short on numbers. He's not perfect or the anti-Christ, truth is in the middle as usual.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think either of us is going to learn anything to change his mind now. I didn't like the way he behaved over the Balague interview, I think that was misjudged, but equally I think it's pretty clear he was lied to and let's face it we got an excellent replacement who is now saying the same things - the squad has been left short on numbers. He's not perfect or the anti-Christ, truth is in the middle as usual.
Very nicely summed up couldn’t agree more.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The two aren’t mutually exclusive, it’s possible to not rate Shi and be disgusted by JL.

as i’ve said repeatedly i can’t be rational around anything to do with JL and i don’t even hide that!

Oh 100%, I can never forgive and like you I am appalled by JL for the media tour and the unprofessional way he dealt with the summer and his exit. I think it is a major reason he hasn’t been taken by or had more than enquiries made by “the elite” clubs he covets so much.

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
How have we lost this game. FFS
Simple. We were out-thought and out-played. Do wonder if complacency played a part? Thinking all they had to do was turn up and it would be an easy ride like the Baggies. Throw in injuries and squad depth and the tie, in hindsight (that most useless of things), was an accident waiting to happen.

FA Cup always throws up a story. And perhaps, Robins (who saved Fergie's job) was aligned to meet ManU at Wembley. Genuinely hope they cause an upset. How L'pool didn't demolish them y'day when it really looked like men vs boys for 75% of the game? Not sure resurrecting the JL debate is particularly helpful either.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we should sign the guy who scored the winner. Looked more than decent all game. Its a good finish, he has a pretty consistent record of scoring goals in average-ish leagues. Probably caused us more trouble than Simms.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rewrite history all you want. We were pretty much down at Christmas courtesy of Jeffery silent T.
Agree completely. The winter World Cup was the best and luckiest thing to happen to the club in God knows how many years. The original plan of sticking with Davis and Collins would have seen us finish 20th, 100% and getting in a top manager who carried himself like a top manager with a mini pre season saved us.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON has got plenty of credit this season, and rightly so but despite the injuries i think this defeat came about because of our tactics today so i think a fair bit of the blame should be on him. Lemina on the left is just ridiculous. Its not Neves at center half ridiculous, but its pretty bad.

I think sometimes we try to be to clever for our own good. Yes we have plenty of forwards out, but stick with basically what works. I know it would mean players out of position because of our lack of options up front, but the rest of the team shouldnt be moved around.
He has impressed me tactically, but there are games where I can't fathom what he trying to achieve. I wanted him to go 4-3-3 at HT. We'd seen a half of a drunken-looking performance by Toti and about 25 yards between the two centre forwards. He should have brought H. Bueno into left-back and pushed RAN into a front three, which would have spared us the ignominy of Lemina on the left wing and Fraser completely isolated. He really needed to sit either Gomes or Doyle on Palmer as well:

Sa
Semedo - Kilman - S. Bueno - H. Bueno
Gomes
Doyle ----- Lemina
Sarabia - Fraser - RAN​

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we should sign the guy who scored the winner. Looked more than decent all game. Its a good finish, he has a pretty consistent record of scoring goals in average-ish leagues. Probably caused us more trouble than Simms.
We used to have a very bad habit of signing players who had a good game against us and then were absolutely gash once they'd signed. I give you Shane Westley and Tony Lange for two. Thankfully we stopped that (and indeed, with a few exceptions, shopping at relegated teams) some time ago.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rewrite history all you want. We were pretty much down at Christmas courtesy of Jeffery silent T.
no rewriting of history here, just pointing out that as bad as we were JL isn’t the only one who could have done what he could, did worse than GON is doing and with a stronger squad too.

Back
Top Bottom