Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Coventry Verdict

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it’s a really good point your lad makes. Without that VAR nonsense there isn’t a 97th and 100th minute.
Without the five minute VAR break the game may have progressed very differently though...

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What my boy said as we trudged out of Molineux was actually bang on the money - if there hadn't been that absurdly long VAR delay, there wouldn't have been all that injury time and we'd probably have been walking out feeling lucky but happy instead.

That VAR situation was bonkers, and great to hear us & them all singing the same thing in unison about it.

If things had gone that way, you'd have to say Cov would have been robbed and then some though. They were way better than us throughout, apart from that 10-15 minutes towards the end of the second half when we finally had some zip & energy and scored twice as a result.

I think it’s a really good point your lad makes. Without that VAR nonsense there isn’t a 97th and 100th minute.
True, but you’d still have had the extra 4 or 5 minutes of playing time, it would just have taken place before the 90 minute mark…

Wolfman jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think it would. It would have been full of people grateful we'd progressed after being so comprehensively outplayed and talking about luck being needed to win the cup

When you've got out of jail and are ahead in the 96th minute, there's no perspective to get from losing the game from that position and it doesn't matter that we had no fit forwards. You dig in and you see out the final few minutes, there are no excuses for how abysmally we grasped defeat from the jaws of victory
I largely agree just this forum is either glory or despair. We absolutely should have seen the game off. Losing 1-0 would have felt a lot better than the 2-3

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still cannot fathom how Santiago Bueno could mess up TWO clearances, back to back, immediately before their equaliser! Disgusting defending. Jury's still out for me, on him. Oh how we missed Craig Dawson yesterday.

Vtrpres

Groupie
Reaction score
Its a sad fact that you see more of the game on TV than at the ground itself. After just 10 minutes of play it was obvious we were going to struggle. There was no fire, no desire, no *******s in that side.
For all the pre match hype of we wont take Coventry for granted, that team played like it was a gimmee.
We should have took at them from the kick off. Frightened them, harried them. What did we do ? Tippy tappy sidewards and backward, training ground fancy side and back kicks.
Who will disagree with me when I say that 15 minutes into this game Coventry realised that this Wolves side had got absolutely nothing.
Football sides need a spine. A keeper , a centre half and a centre forward. You build the side from that. It hasnt changed for a hundred years whatever the experts say.
I see posts on here saying now we can go for league position and possible Europe. Playing like this? What planet are they on?
The best I see this season is 15th or 16 th.
Perhaps GON ought to dubbin his boots we might need him.
It would be nice if the entire side donated their weeks salary to charity because they certainly didn't earn it.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Its a sad fact that you see more of the game on TV than at the ground itself. After just 10 minutes of play it was obvious we were going to struggle. There was no fire, no desire, no *******s in that side.
For all the pre match hype of we wont take Coventry for granted, that team played like it was a gimmee.
We should have took at them from the kick off. Frightened them, harried them. What did we do ? Tippy tappy sidewards and backward, training ground fancy side and back kicks.
Who will disagree with me when I say that 15 minutes into this game Coventry realised that this Wolves side had got absolutely nothing.
Football sides need a spine. A keeper , a centre half and a centre forward. You build the side from that. It hasnt changed for a hundred years whatever the experts say.
I see posts on here saying now we can go for league position and possible Europe. Playing like this? What planet are they on?
It would be nice if the entire side donated their weeks salary to charity because they certainly didn't earn it.
Your last post on a verdict thread was after defeat to Brentford strange that

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
We’re not finishing 15th/16th.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Painful to watch back isn’t it. Why we didn’t just tuck in during injury time I don’t know. Just sit with 10men behind the ball.

Just beggers belief.

Yes, for all the talk of injuries to attackers (as if we ever win 4-0 against stubborn opposition, anyway!) , we were 2-1 up going into injury time. We lost because we lost our shape and our heads *after* going 2-1 up. Within a minute of them kicking off, I texted my son saying they're going to equalise, we had that "switched off" look about us. I was wrong, even pessimist that I am, I didn't think we could concede twice.

Seen it several times this season and it needs dealing with. I know we've seen some matches out, and scored late in others, but we need to add to those by not forgetting how to defend when in the match at 85 minutes. Which we've also done too much and lost several points to, as well as this semi final. We can defend, it's a mentality thing. Thinking back, all lthe matches where we were resiliant for the full match, the words "cleared by Dawson" spring to mind. We need some succession planning there, as he isn't going to last forever and I'm not convinced that Kilman can do that job of getting the rest of the team concentrating and focussed. We had a lack of leaders on the field when it mattered.

It's not a matter of turning completely negative for the 90 minutes, but we do need to be able to close matches out and control games much much better than we are, for those final minutes when we have the result we want. Just tell them to stop atempting mazy runs, back flicks, reckless long shots (all things we've done in several matches recently) when a goal ahead in injury time!

Last edited:

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Idiot Troll ****e fan. Nothing better to do.

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Let's not spin a var narrative because it's not the game for that lol. Sounds like sour grapes and we didn't deserve anything. We know VAR is **** but their goal was the only thing that spurred us into life

No VAR narrative being spun at all, no sour grapes either, and full acknowledgement in my post that Cov deserved it etc; just an astute observation from a young 'un that it was a lot of injury time and it came mostly from that VAR stoppage.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As much character that we showed second half against Flum; we undid with that ****-show yesterday. Coventry were good value for the win and 2-3 flattered us.
Just shows what having a proper striker (Simms) can do as he knew instinctively, which positions to take against our pathetic defence. A lower-league striker for sure, but a striker nonetheless.
Coventry didn't even have to play well.
Just seen how Premier League Chelsea despatched a much better Championship club than Coventry. It's what we should have done, but couldn't.

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
As much character that we showed second half against Flum; we undid with that ****-show yesterday. Coventry were good value for the win and 2-3 flattered us.
Just shows what having a proper striker (Simms) can do as he knew instinctively, which positions to take against our pathetic defence. A lower-league striker for sure, but a striker nonetheless.
Coventry didn't even have to play well.
Just seen how Premier League Chelsea despatched a much better Championship club than Coventry. It's what we should have done, but couldn't.

I was chatting with some Cov folk after the game on our way back to our parking [Premier Inn - cheap & close, and a new place to park for me and one I'll continue with], and they were quite dismissive of Simms despite his goal yesterday. One of them said despite that, or maybe because of that, he got odds of 28-1 for Simms to score with a header. I was surprised to hear their views on him TBH as he gave us a right royal badgering yesterday IMO.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having seen the other games this weekend I think we were just unlucky not to have drawn Man United.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Too many players running on empty with no realistic replacements to give them a break. Hopefully the two weeks off and perhaps a few players returning to fitness might help.

We got away with the small squad with Nuno because of the playing style that he adopted.
Nuno said he preferred to work with a squad of 19 which, because of the versatility of players like Saiss, Dendoncker, Podence was effectively a squad of 22/23. GON is down to a squad of about 18 even without injuries and with much less individual versatility.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno said he preferred to work with a squad of 19 which, because of the versatility of players like Saiss, Dendoncker, Podence was effectively a squad of 22/23. GON is down to a squad of about 18 even without injuries and with much less individual versatility.
I wouldn't disagree but would add "and much less overall balance" to your last sentence.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
ManUre have got the draw all three remaining PL teams will have wanted. I expect them to win by at least three clear goals.

Don't really like praising either ManUre or the Dippers but that quarter final, while absolutely full of mistakes, was a bloody good game for the neutrals to watch.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our best move, maybe our single outstanding move in the entire match, for the second goal, started as a counter attack inside our own half. Other than that, against a reasonably organised team, we looked as clueless as usual against that way of playing.

HAd a feeling we'd used up a big chunk of luck not being 2-0 down to Fulham at HT last week. First half performance as abject as todays, and a first half we've seen many times. One shot on target. And that was even with Neto/Hwang/Cunha fit. Would assume COventry knew how we play, knew our weaknesses.

What I'm getting at is that I don't think we are inconsistent. We consistently struggle to break defensive teams down, while consistently punishing teams who are open and commit forward. Most of us knew today would be a struggle because of that.

I still think we had enough in the squad to win, that tactically we set out wrong and also tend to manage the end of games badly. Luck gets us through some weeks, but not others. Both last week and this, a goal ahead going into injury time and we have lost our structure and seem more keen to put some gloss on by scoring another, than grinding out the result.
I would maintain that even the best teams in the world struggle against reasonably organised opponents especially if they line up 5-5-0.

Granted Coventry didn’t play like that but defence is the best form of attack especially in one off games like that.

You need special and very expensive players to unlock those defences consistently.

Only the top three in the PL can do that in England l would argue. Even then they can struggle as Arsenal showed against Porto the other night.

It’s what separates the good sides from the great ones in my opinion

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You must know a lot about ****e supporting a team at the fag end of Soho Rd

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Typical Wolves. Its the hope that kills you. probably wont get an easier chance of Wembley for another 5 years.
Time we took both cups more seriously. We ain’t never going to win the premier league!!

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This season

Fulham A 2-3
Ipswich A 2-3
Man U h 3-4
Coventry h 2-3

All games where poor game management saw us turn either parity or a lead into defeat.

I know Kilman is seen as an accomplished defender but he isn’t a load presence at the back and without Dawson we fluffed our lines badly on Saturday.

It’s now how we respond to that disappointment that will define the last quarter of the season

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have said that for years.give me 15th and a cup final win every day of the week .

The only benefit of playing in a premier league do biased for the big boys is there is more money for the other 14. That’s it
Absolutely the greed league for many reasons

Back
Top Bottom