Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Could we lose a top player?

Brightonwolf

Reaction score
I don’t think we will but reading about FFP and ridiculous money being banded around do you think that we would sell one of our new stars for an inflated amount to finance a better player?
I appreciate we don’t need the money but we do need the FFP books to balance.

Tezthewolvesfan

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, were are planning way ahead. We will trim the squad and bring in quality, the only way is up!..

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This would I’m sure happen were we not to get promoted in the next 18 months. In that respect, Fosun have been smart and not wasted their money on old players with poor resale values. Even if we crashed and didn’t win promotion, players like Neves and Cav will almost certainly raise at least, if not more, than we paid. Certainly enough to stay within the 3 year 39m loss rule. If we get promoted, then with the PL income boost, we can forget about FFP concerns until we are trying to compete in the Champions League and bidding against Chelsea and Man City ;)

GAWAZZ

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think we will but reading about FFP and ridiculous money being banded around do you think that we would sell one of our new stars for an inflated amount to finance a better player?
I appreciate we don’t need the money but we do need the FFP books to balance.
In very basic terms - We spend £100 million on new players, Get promoted to the premier league earn £100 million Net loss £0, the only issue will be if we spent £100million but stayed in the championchip and earned I don't know £15 million the net loss would be £85 million - this would be a FFP issue.

In other words nothing to worry about as WE WILL be promoted :)

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only if we don’t get promoted.

There’s very little need to in the PL, there’s a possibility we could be making a profit tbh.

If a Real or Barca came in for say Neves though.

Brightonwolf

Reaction score
I was thinking more of like Neves having his head turned by Liverpool etc. Realistically we know the way It works and these players will have a goal that probably isn’t staying long term at Wolves.
This isn’t meant as a negative post in anyway but the possibilities of it happenening don’t seem to be mentioned.

D

Deleted member 5242

Tbf It'll be interesting to see what happens when a team like Everton or Liverpool come in with a 30-35m bid for Neves. Would we sell and dig into the pool of Mendes again or would we keep the ship together sailing in the same direction? I'd like to think it'd be the latter.

GAWAZZ

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was thinking more of like Neves having his head turned by Liverpool etc. Realistically we know the way It works and these players will have a goal that probably isn’t staying long term at Wolves.
This isn’t meant as a negative post in anyway but the possibilities of it happenening don’t seem to be mentioned.
I think the Mendes factor needs to be remembered here, Neves will have been sold the "project" by Mendes, Spend a year in the Championchip with Wolves, get used to the English league, spend a year with Wolves in the premier and you will command a bigger fee and wages!!!
For me no issues this year or next but the summer of 2019 - who knows- we will need to match his ambition or he will be off IMV but nothing to do with FFP - just a players ambition

TriumphWolf

Reaction score
We will need to get used to significant sales in the future, the long-term model has to involve some major sales, you can’t keep adding to the overall squad numbers without some out-goings..... either financially or professionally.

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will need to get used to significant sales in the future, the long-term model has to involve some major sales, you can’t keep adding to the overall squad numbers without some out-goings..... either financially or professionally.

This is how i see it.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good players come and go.

It’s the average ones that are harder to shift.

If we lose Jota, we’ll find another one. Especially if we are in the Premiership.

Anyone else think Costa might be on his way out if we sign another player who can play in the three? Despite his lack of form this season, which is down to lack of confidence as it stands, the talent is still there.

Would be £15,000,000+ you'd think as well

W

we8wba

Yep looks like we’re doomed with ffp won’t be able to sign loan players and costa, cava have to be sold this window

:rolleyes:

AberWolf

Reaction score
I think what people seem to forget is that presently we benefit from Mendes’ network as we are the weakest/lowest ranked i.e everyone else has better players. Mendes has promised careers to these players and we are just the first step. If he wants to move them he will. Irrespective of our status. Enjoy Neves, Jota etc while we have them.

ShifnalWolf

Graphmaster General
Reaction score
There will (hopefully) become a time when Fosun and Mendes' interests are no longer aligned.

At present, they both want Wolves in the premier league (Fosun to increase investment worth and Mendes to add a PL club to his carousel)

After that though, Fosun will want us to become as big as possible (ie attracting top mendes clients who will stay with us for years) whereas for Mendes if we become the 'end' destination for players he misses out on the commission on the second sale - so surely he would want us to be a regular 7th-10th finisher.

Either way - its better than Sagbo on loan ;)

Brightonwolf

Reaction score
Yep looks like we’re doomed with ffp won’t be able to sign loan players and costa, cava have to be sold this window

:rolleyes:
Why the roll eyes? The comment below yours is exactly what I was thinking about. Our club is a stepping stone for many players and may have to shift some on to bring newer talent in. I don’t expect to lose everyone but could see a move to a Premier club for the likes of Neves, Cav or Costa (not all).

W

wolvesultra

I'd be more worried about 'losing' one of the loan players we have more than any player for a fee. That would be a big blow in the majority of cases.

Think thjis and the next transfer window could really show us something regarding the involvement of Mendez players and whether we are just a gateway / stepping stone club for the super agent to use.

W

wolvesultra

I think what people seem to forget is that presently we benefit from Mendes’ network as we are the weakest/lowest ranked i.e everyone else has better players. Mendes has promised careers to these players and we are just the first step. If he wants to move them he will. Irrespective of our status. Enjoy Neves, Jota etc while we have them.
I hope you're wrong but fear you are right.

If we are a stepping stone what happens when we start bridging the gap and become too close to the next step (ie when we go up / if we stay in the prem). Worrying in the longer term.

That line in the James song "if I had not seen such riches I could live with being poor" springs to mind for me, it may spoil us.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kingswinford Wolf

I don't think we need to worry about FFP, Fosun know what they're doing. My biggest concern is promotion or not I can see the elite clubs sniffing around Neves before long. Are Man Utd, Madrid, Barca etc going to risk letting one of the others sign a player like him? Some will say calm down he's doing it in the champ but he was doing it for Porto too and if you watch the way he moves off the ball, he is like a Paul Scholes who can actually tackle. Just showed a mate at work (a Milan fan coincidentally) that video of him and he said how is he always n so much space)

Hopefully we have him for a season next year in the prem but I see this lad going to the very top and as we've seen with Ronaldo, Suarez, Coutinho etc if the Barca's and Reals come calling its game over.

I don't see many 20/21 year olds play the game like he does and for sure these clubs will be aware of this given his agent too.

For now though we get the pleasure of witnessing him.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh well, at least we're not worrying about relegation. Phew!

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At some point we will start selling these players on. It's the system we are now in. The players we've bought are investments and will be treated as such. Take Neves as an example, if he plays well in the PL next season (should we get there), our £15m investment is all of a sudden worth £50m+.

Re Jota I'd be very surprised if he didn't sign permanently in the summer, should we get promoted. He, imo, is not yet at the level of playing for someone like Atletico Madrid.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ben Marshall was one of our best players last year.
Iorfa the season before that.

If you stay still in football, you end up falling behind.
Like West Brom.

Their conveyor belt ground to a halt when Ashworth left. We have goods ready to load up from Mendes' holding warehouse that are better than what we currently have.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My expectation is that we will start next season with a much stronger team than we currently have.

Who comes in, who leaves, I haven’t a clue.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course its possible,its football,players come and go,always have always will

Despite some of the derogatory comments above,FFP has to be taken into account too

How some people think we can just ignore it because we have wealthy owners is beyond me

At some stage the governing bodies will make an example of a club,and with us currently running away with the league ,and many of the media and clubs moaning about the inequality,it just may be us if we give them the opportunity

They have the power to deduct points now,and could technically take promotion,should we achieve it,away from us,so yes its a concern

I don't for one minute believe we will give them that chance,but its a barrier for sure,as for players,well Jota,Boly,and Costa must be considered "at risk"

Jota and Boly have reportedly said, for whatever reason, they wouldn't sign unless we are in the Prem and even then its debateable if other clubs come calling

Costa has taken a long time to get back to somewhere near his last seasons form, and has looked at times dejected,so maybe he too could be "at risk" should the right amount of money be offered

Even should some of these,or others,leave, we have the means to replace with as good ,if not better, players,so its not a massive concern imo

Reaction score
At some point we will start selling these players on. It's the system we are now in. The players we've bought are investments and will be treated as such. Take Neves as an example, if he plays well in the PL next season (should we get there), our £15m investment is all of a sudden worth £50m+.

Re Jota I'd be very surprised if he didn't sign permanently in the summer, should we get promoted. He, imo, is not yet at the level of playing for someone like Atletico Madrid.

There's two ways the FOSUN era could go imo, the first is we're a vanity project, money is no object, and they just want to get Champs League football and global exposure. Which would be great!

But I think the second one is maybe more likely, we get to the Prem and then become self sufficient, signing young exciting players with the intention of developing and selling them on. We're currently in the investment phase, as you say, but they'd get all this money back by selling the squad right now, let alone in 12-24months time when they've shown what they can do in the Prem. I hope that's not the route we go down because Southampton right now look like quite a dismal club, constantly being cherry picked and meandering around the middle of the Prem. It's not long term what you want for your club - although clearly better to be doing it in the top league than the 2nd or 3rd division where we looked to be heading before the takeover.

D

Deleted member 5910

My only concern regards FFP is, will we have a £65m+ fine awaiting us (a la QPR) how ever many years down the road it is that we come back down? I'd hate for that millstone to be around our necks.

As for selling players, if the way Jeff spoke about Costa last season is anything to go by, FOSUN will be quite bullish about retaining our best players- especially with the absolutely crazy money flying around right now. Sure, we could sell Neves for £25m at the end of the season, or we could hang on for another year, see him thrive in the Premier League, and maybe double our money. There's no business sense selling players we don't need to before they've impressed on the biggest stage.

Sephiroth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Im not concerned at all. It's been done to death about how Wolves are nowhere near breaking FFP and in 5 months time it wont matter anyway. Let the opposition fans and press who have no clue about how it actually works have their moan about it.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
FFP does not worry me - what does is if we turn into a Southampton or Swansea and as soon as we get a decent player they are sold on to 'bigger' clubs. This is a much larger debate but we need to aim to be one of the big clubs pretty quickly which then raises the question of a bigger Molineux, which like much on this thread has been done to death on here!

E

Essex Wolf

Should the sale of Evans go through and maybe that of Marshall as well then Wolves will have taken in best part of I'd say £10M from sales so the FFP I don't believe will be an issue even if Wolves spend again this window.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
FFP does not worry me - what does is if we turn into a Southampton or Swansea and as soon as we get a decent player they are sold on to 'bigger' clubs. This is a much larger debate but we need to aim to be one of the big clubs pretty quickly which then raises the question of a bigger Molineux, which like much on this thread has been done to death on here!
I think that's exactly what we will be, to be honest. But the calibre of player will possibly be higher to begin with, resulting in big money coming in to the club. Neves is a prime example - a season or two performing well in the Premier League and all of a sudden you could have Real Madrid or Barcelona throwing silly money at him, and then we'll start that cycle again.

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regarding Neves., he is obviously happy in a team that is fundamentally built around him after famously being brought to tears previously.
Jota not so sure but sure there wil be players just ad good if he leaves. We have as good a set up as it gets.

We are back at the top where we were when I started out.

D

Deleted member TW5162

The fact that we even have a thread titled “Could we lose a top player” this season just shows how far we have come.

Enjoy the present, gawd knows we endured some **** in the last 30 odd years.

Back
Top Bottom