Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Could there be penalties on Thursday?

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was just thinking about the results that would see us through against Torino as we have a 3-2 win and three away goals.

Any win
Any Draw
Lose 0-1 (3-3 on aggregate but win on away goals)
Lose 1-2 (4-4 on aggregate but win on away goals)

If Torino win 3-1 down the Mol they would go through 5-4 on aggregate. What happens if it finishes 3-2 to Torino? That would be 5-5 both with 3 away goals, I assume it goes to penalties?

I was just thinking about the results that would see us through against Torino as we have a 3-2 win and three away goals.

Any win
Any Draw

If Torino win 3-1 down the Mol they would go through 5-4 on aggregate. What happens if it finishes 3-2 to Torino? That would be 5-5 both with 3 away goals, I assume it goes to penalties?

Extra time then penalties, yes...

W

wolvesultra

Is away goals after extra time or before? I can never remember think they've changed it a few times.

L

Lowveld Wolf

Yes, if a player is fouled in the box and we then wait 3 minutes for VAR to adjudicate, watching the incident from multiple angles, applying lines across the pitch and vertically to the player's armpit and then deciding that there is not enough evidence to overturn the referee's originally correct decision, the crowd may cheer for the second time and a penalty ensue.
In the meantime, those who still care about the excitement of the original incident will have forgotten what happened in the first place.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The away goals rule is applied at the end of 90 minutes if the aggregate score is level.

The only scoreline that can lead to extra time (and potentially penalties) is therefore Wolves 2 Torino 3 at the end of 90 minutes.

If the game goes to extra time, the away goals rule is then reapplied at the end of 120 minutes if the aggregate score is level.

The only scoreline that can lead to a penalty shootout is therefore Wolves 2 Torino 3 at the end of 90 minutes and 120 minutes.

Any goal scored in extra time will mean penalties will not be required.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The away goals rule is applied at the end of 90 minutes if the aggregate score is level.

The only scoreline that can lead to extra time (and potentially penalties) is therefore Wolves 2 Torino 3 at the end of 90 minutes.

If the game goes to extra time, the away goals rule is then reapplied at the end of 120 minutes if the aggregate score is level.

The only scoreline that can lead to a penalty shootout is therefore Wolves 2 Torino 3 at the end of 90 minutes and 120 minutes.

Any goal scored in extra time will mean penalties will not be required.

Thanks Marrs that's really interesting :)

O

Olly the cat

Any win
Any Draw

Yes. For any match in European completions the two legs must have identical scores after extra time. Any other outcome results in an aggregate win, or a win on away goals.

N

Northamptonwolf

Yes, if a player is fouled in the box and we then wait 3 minutes for VAR to adjudicate, watching the incident from multiple angles, applying lines across the pitch and vertically to the player's armpit and then deciding that there is not enough evidence to overturn the referee's originally correct decision, the crowd may cheer for the second time and a penalty ensue.
In the meantime, those who still care about the excitement of the original incident will have forgotten what happened in the first place.
No VAR in these games

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That's not fair!
If, it wont be but, if it 2-3 after 90 minutes, then we go to extra time, then we each score a goal in extra time, they go through on away goals?!!
That's not fair, they've had 30 extra away minutes to score more away goals!!

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's not fair!
If, it wont be but, if it 2-3 after 90 minutes, then we go to extra time, then we each score a goal in extra time, they go through on away goals?!!
That’s a long standing issue with two legged ties where ET is only played in the 2nd leg.

It ****es me off too.

D

Deleted member 5910

Away goals is obviously a more common occurrence when both teams score one or maybe two away goals in the tie. I would say once a team scores three away goals as we have, it's pretty unlikely the other team will win on away goals, or even take it to penalties.

WonderfulWolves

Groupie
Reaction score
That's not fair!
Yes, but we have the extra 30 minutes at home which can be considered an advantage

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Bloody hell, I know it's been a while but it has been the same rules for ever.

Hixon Wolf

Reaction score
In short, no. I think we will tear them a new one on the counter tonight. 3-1 Wolves

Back
Top Bottom