Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Could the club buy the Feathers for us?

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Prompted by a discussion on another thread, I wonder whether the club should purchase the old Feathers building, convert it back into a pub, open out the front and side on Deanery Row into a more traditional 'fanzone', and pack the interior with Wolves paraphernalia?

We will need extra drinking space next season and beyond if we maintain our current level of success. It would also go some way towards rectifying the dreadful mistake made when the Fox / Wanderer was demolished. I understand this is part of a more general trend as CAMRA and others have documented, but reckon this would be a lovely gesture on the part of the club, eventually becoming self-financing if the club used the upstairs space for something and only opened on weekend nights and matchdays...

W

Will Wolf

Prompted by a discussion on another thread, I wonder whether the club should purchase the old Feathers building, convert it back into a pub, open out the front and side on Deanery Row into a more traditional 'fanzone', and pack the interior with Wolves paraphernalia?

We will need extra drinking space next season and beyond if we maintain our current level of success. It would also go some way towards rectifying the dreadful mistake made when the Fox / Wanderer was demolished. I understand this is part of a more general trend as CAMRA and others have documented, but reckon this would be a lovely gesture on the part of the club, eventually becoming self-financing if the club used the upstairs space for something and only opened on weekend nights and matchdays...

Think this or something similar was mentioned on another thread, seems like a good idea to me.

Does anyone know of other clubs who have done this? Either in the UK or abroad?

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think this or something similar was mentioned on another thread, seems like a good idea to me.

Does anyone know of other clubs who have done this? Either in the UK or abroad?
I think that was me but I'm sure others have had the same idea. Villa bought the Holte pub when it looked like it was gonna go to the wall. It was in a non pub visiting neighbourhood (some old Irish, a few poor white British and older Irish people) so got loads in on match day but just a few locals on other evenings. The club stepped in and bought the place.

M

Monk

Make it for season ticket holders only on match days like the north bank bar - fill it to the rafters. Plus a 15 second walk to the South bank entrance for me. Perfick

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Make it for season ticket holders only on match days like the north bank bar - fill it to the rafters. Plus a 15 second walk to the South bank entrance for me. Perfick
Members, rather than ST holders, only I'd say but yeah, perfect for the South Bank like the Fox and Feathers used to be.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good idea.
Come on Fosun, get your hands in your pockets!!

W

Will Wolf

I think that was me but I'm sure others have had the same idea. Villa bought the Holte pub when it looked like it was gonna go to the wall. It was in a non pub visiting neighbourhood (some old Irish, a few poor white British and older Irish people) so got loads in on match day but just a few locals on other evenings. The club stepped in and bought the place.

Interesting.

The Holte Pub

Seems like an extension of the stadium facilities.

I suppose the only argument against it would be if the club were worried it would take custom from the North Bank bar, although there is more than enough demand.

Scott in the Sand

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** STH and Members, turn it into a gastro-pub for our new plastic fans.

You can have what you want as long as it's with a jus or a compote.

Prawn sandwiches and Prosecco ****tails all round.

The club would make a fortune.

Just joking! Love S.I.T.S (member).

D

Deleted member 4456

Moxey couldn't wait to demolish The Wanderer and replace it with the permanently empty car park. If the club is as interested in the Fan Zone concept as it seems to be, this could be a good starting point.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting.

The Holte Pub

Seems like an extension of the stadium facilities.

I suppose the only argument against it would be if the club were worried it would take custom from the North Bank bar, although there is more than enough demand.
I think that'd reek of small time. There's defo enough demand for ale in Wolves to justify having at least two club bars. I see what you mean though, and suspect the club might think that Steve Bull stand bars might suffer, but again I'd argue the more the better surely, and people like me won't go to a bar in the ground but might go the a pub slap bang next to the South bank...

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moxey couldn't wait to demolish The Wanderer and replace it with the permanently empty car park. If the club is as interested in the Fan Zone concept as it seems to be, this could be a good starting point.
It amuses me that they talk about how pubs are only profitable one day in fourteen but would rather have a car park used for the same amount of time. I say amuse, I mean completely infuriates. I don't like fanzones as they reek of ****y plastic modern football, but this could be a beautiful compromise: an old Wolves pub revitalised, space out the front and side for all sorts of newfangled entertainment, space upstairs for some club business etc.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anything that makes it easier to get a seat in the Combermere is fine by me. Spent most of last season reminiscing about the Paul Lambert era when you could turn up late at 2 o’clock, not really want to be there, but still get a choice of table to sit at.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anything that makes it easier to get a seat in the Combermere is fine by me. Spent most of last season reminiscing about the Paul Lambert era when you could turn up late at 2 o’clock, not really want to be there, but still get a choice of table to sit at.
Love the miserablism!
Only been there a handful of times but a great little pub.
Think the owners would get extra credit for doing this. Plus all the building work of the new steve bull & south bank will require lots of builders who might want a lunchtime pint and cheese rolls ;)

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It amuses me that they talk about how pubs are only profitable one day in fourteen but would rather have a car park used for the same amount of time. I say amuse, I mean completely infuriates. I don't like fanzones as they reek of ****y plastic modern football, but this could be a beautiful compromise: an old Wolves pub revitalised, space out the front and side for all sorts of newfangled entertainment, space upstairs for some club business etc.

Why should the club have to pay for it? Why couldn't fans get up a bit of entrepreneurial spirit and buy it themselves if it's such a good business?
I guess it might be in the way of a SB stand rebuild and is probably a maintenance nightmare and losing money so will be demolished at some point, but for a few years it might do to make a few bucks right next t the stadium? All these places need to be able to serve 50 pints a minute, or sell cold bottles out of an ice fridge and keep it moving fast. They could pop the pub together every home game and take it away again, but the overheads are obviously a problem hence why it's shutdown.

Wandsworth Wolf

Reaction score
Safe to assume the new South bank extension will feature a bar much like the North bank. No doubt be plenty of new facilities in the rebuilt Steve Bull too.
In light of that, it seems unlikely that Fosun invest money in an aging property across the road.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that'd reek of small time. There's defo enough demand for ale in Wolves to justify having at least two club bars. I see what you mean though, and suspect the club might think that Steve Bull stand bars might suffer, but again I'd argue the more the better surely, and people like me won't go to a bar in the ground but might go the a pub slap bang next to the South bank...
I gave up trying to get a drink at one of the Steve Bull Stand bars years ago. Not worth missing half of the game to get a drink.

D

Deleted member 3604

Don't the Uni own it? They'd be better off renting a marquee over West Park.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
I need some new alloys on my Volvo. C'mon Wolves- pull your ****ing finger out.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Think it's a great idea.

johnnybetchas

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Used to walk to ground from Western with mates and seemed to get drawn into the Feathers like a bloody magnet! Just one pint someone would say and whilst drinking our second we could here the team selections read out. There were some right nutters in there every match! Great memories.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember eating a burger at a van outside the Fox when Millwall came steaming through the subway and a huge scrap started outside the Feathers.

We won 1-0

W

wolvesultra

I remember eating a burger at a van outside the Fox when Millwall came steaming through the subway and a huge scrap started outside the Feathers.

We won 1-0
Halloween night. Millwall run amok that night.

Alex Rae late on, think it was named The Wanderer by then though.

It's the Uni that own The Feathers building isn't it can't see them selling they're taking over that side of the ground completely.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why should the club have to pay for it? Why couldn't fans get up a bit of entrepreneurial spirit and buy it themselves if it's such a good business?
I guess it might be in the way of a SB stand rebuild and is probably a maintenance nightmare and losing money so will be demolished at some point, but for a few years it might do to make a few bucks right next t the stadium? All these places need to be able to serve 50 pints a minute, or sell cold bottles out of an ice fridge and keep it moving fast. They could pop the pub together every home game and take it away again, but the overheads are obviously a problem hence why it's shutdown.
The club don't have to pay for it, meaning they almost certainly won't. I was just thinking it'd be a much appreciated gesture, and one which I reckon would be a good compromise between the 'fanzone' idea and the sort of thing more traditional supporters like myself would get excited by. I don't think the Steve Bull needs to extend that far back so that needn't be an issue.

I actually agree with you that it would be preferable to have it supporter owned and run, it's just that it probably wasn't making a profit so for us to shoulder that burden seems unrealistic. The club, on the other hand, are very well off largely with TV revenue and this would be a drop in the ocean for them. I'm interested in the built environment too and think the area around the ground has suffered from the loss of the Fox and Feathers, one to a shortsighted move by the club and the other to overseas student income. Seems a shame.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Halloween night. Millwall run amok that night.

Alex Rae late on, think it was named The Wanderer by then though.

It's the Uni that own The Feathers building isn't it can't see them selling they're taking over that side of the ground completely.
Like I said in a previous post, perhaps the club could compensate them with a prestigious spot in the new stand when that's built?

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the club's stated policy is to get people into the ground earlier. Plenty of room in the North Bank concourse. South Bank concourse is very tight but should be a lot more spacious when it is expanded. Steve Bull is a disaster zone but assume that it will be redeveloped soon. As much as Fosun have been a lot more fan friendly than Morgan and Moxey, I really cant see them being interested in buying a pub that is empty apart from maybe 25 days a year. Someone made a comment about the Wanderer being an empty Car Park. Well empty car parks are a lot cheaper to run when empty than an empty pub is.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
The Holte is part of Villa's Conferencing portfolio and works well. In my time I've booked this, The Holte End Conference Suite and the Trinity Road Suites. I have to say they are top notch, especially the Trinity Road. Have also used facilities at the Ricoh, Bescot and even that place in Sandwell and they all feel a bit non-league compared to Villa Park. In our rebuild there's a real opportunity to up our game in that area.

The idea of the Feathers as a Match Day only pub could actually work, The Holte is no longer a pub just suites, think The Feathers could only be a pub,

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could be more of a student place during the week, then football on matchdays?

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the club's stated policy is to get people into the ground earlier. Plenty of room in the North Bank concourse. South Bank concourse is very tight but should be a lot more spacious when it is expanded. Steve Bull is a disaster zone but assume that it will be redeveloped soon. As much as Fosun have been a lot more fan friendly than Morgan and Moxey, I really cant see them being interested in buying a pub that is empty apart from maybe 25 days a year. Someone made a comment about the Wanderer being an empty Car Park. Well empty car parks are a lot cheaper to run when empty than an empty pub is.
Regarding the Wanderer vs car park: fair point, cheeper maybe but negligible when you've the riches of Fosun and the TV money?

I'll always arrive as late as possible to be honest, a proper pub holds much more pull for me than a concourse, even one with a nice view. Given the choice of a cheap last ale in the Wheatsheaf (or wherever) or a Carling in a concourse I'm always going with the former!

L

lostinbristol

We won 1-0

There's something I just love about how succinct that story is :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I and 1000s more wouldnt drink or eat in the ground and get in there an hour early no matter what. Nothing to do with quality, maybe a bit to do with cost, but mainly the fact it's nice to spend time in different places, pub chippy then the ground for 110 minutes.
Pubs are better than any concourse, unless someones let the pyro off and there's a crowd surfing steward ;)

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't a couple of Wolves get stabbed in that ruckus? Sounds mental, I can remember missing that game but not sure why.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
It will take a couple of generations to get fans to migrate to concourse bars, its a huge culture shift. There's a certain synergy between the club and bars in town they need each other, the proximity is great and its part of the whole match day ritual has been for as long as I can remember.

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is there a student’s union bar in Wolverhampton? If not, then reopen as the SU and wolves pub on match days.

If there is a student’s union bar where is it so I can drink cheaply on match day?

W

wolvesultra

Is there a student’s union bar in Wolverhampton? If not, then reopen as the SU and wolves pub on match days.

If there is a student’s union bar where is it so I can drink cheaply on match day?
Student Union bar is in the bit of the uni on the walkway just before you get to the subway...it would be a great location. It's quite a big room too from what I remember.

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Student Union bar is in the bit of the uni on the walkway just before you get to the subway...it would be a great location. It's quite a big room too from what I remember.

Can’t see why it hasn’t been capitalised on. Although Wolverhampton is cheap enough to drink in anyway. I was paying £2 a pint for Guinness on paddy’s day in the Billy Wright pub.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regarding the Wanderer vs car park: fair point, cheeper maybe but negligible when you've the riches of Fosun and the TV money?

I'll always arrive as late as possible to be honest, a proper pub holds much more pull for me than a concourse, even one with a nice view. Given the choice of a cheap last ale in the Wheatsheaf (or wherever) or a Carling in a concourse I'm always going with the former!

Well fair enough mate. There will always be plenty who prefer a pub to the facilities in the ground. I prefer a pub myself. Fosun clearly could afford whatever they want but IMO they need to focus on the business of running the club and not get distracted into side issues like running an actual pub. When the South Bank is extended they will maybe have the chance to build another stadium bar like the one in the North Bank which is rammed most games.

Its a good point about the range of drinks they sell at the ground. I'll drink a wide range of beers (bitter, real ale, lager, guinness) but one thing I absolutely wont touch is Carling which pretty much has to be the most awful lager ever brewed. The range of beers they offer in the concourse could be improved and extended fairly easily. Maybe thats something for the club to consider or could be raised by the fans parliament. Obviously there will still be plenty of fans who prefer to drink in an actual pub but Fosun aint in the business of running pubs.

Back
Top Bottom