Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Could Nuno Convert Semedo?

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’ve seen a few on here and elsewhere suggest trying Semedo in a more midfield/advanced position, and thinking on it I wouldn’t be dead against trying it if we continue with a back 4.

We’ve not got anyone who will/can carry the ball through the middle of the field, and I think this could be a factor as to why we’re maybe not getting enough goals from there. We can keep our passing game but to have someone in the middle of the park who can put the burners on would be a big plus.

Downsides to this would be he is not the most physical of players, I’m not sure if he’d go missing in a midfield scrap, but, the plus side is that is excellent on the ball and he gets up the pitch quickly - not afraid to have a go either.

From current options available/hopefully back soon -

Rui
Hoever/Marcal - Saiss - Boly - RAN/Jonny
Neves - Dendoncker
Semedo (Not a no10 but more advanced)
Adama/Podence - Fabio - Neto

I’m not for square pegs in round holes, but for his strength is on the ball.

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes he could if both parties wanted it.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve seen a few on here and elsewhere suggest trying Semedo in a more midfield/advanced position, and thinking on it I wouldn’t be dead against trying it if we continue with a back 4.

We’ve not got anyone who will/can carry the ball through the middle of the field, and I think this could be a factor as to why we’re maybe not getting enough goals from there. We can keep our passing game but to have someone in the middle of the park who can put the burners on would be a big plus.

Downsides to this would be he is not the most physical of players, I’m not sure if he’d go missing in a midfield scrap, but, the plus side is that is excellent on the ball and he gets up the pitch quickly - not afraid to have a go either.

From current options available/hopefully back soon -

Rui
Hoever/Marcal - Saiss - Boly - RAN/Jonny
Neves - Dendoncker
Semedo (Not a no10 but more advanced)
Adama/Podence - Fabio - Neto

I’m not for square pegs in round holes, but for his strength is on the ball.
There could be but he spends most of the time on the bench: Vitinha.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was thinking this last night. I think given some time, he would make a pretty decent central midfielder.

Long term we can then develop Hoever in the RWB role while look forward to Jonny also filling that slot.

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was thinking this last night. I think given some time, he would make a pretty decent central midfielder.

Long term we can then develop Hoever in the RWB role while look forward to Jonny also filling that slot.
Same thoughts.

I’d like to see us play through defences as well as around them on the wings, we’ve got a lot of technically gifted players that can do this with 1-2’s.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Nuno has a lot more serious top priority problems and solutions to deal with than this.

Besides the fans will be calling Nuno the tinker man next after all the changes he did yesterday alone with players and systems.

BACK TO BASIC DEFENDING IS TOP PRIORITY!

paulhick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair if we’re looking at conversions I recon boly could quite easily be pushed forward as a striking midfielder. Got a Patrick vierra vibe about him.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Rather than Semedo, I actually think Hoever could be converted into an excellent midfielder. Good size, quick, comfortable at travelling with the ball. Seems to have good vision in his passing too.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rather than Semedo, I actually think Hoever could be converted into an excellent midfielder. Good size, quick, comfortable at travelling with the ball. Seems to have good vision in his passing too.
Kind of how godfrey played against us last Tuesday

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So, no then?
I think it was me who suggested this the other day and on several threads now? He certainly can't defend, and whilst that is not a reason for trying this, to me it's potentially a pretty decent suggestion. At least he thinks forward and can move with the ball. No other mf we have has both, if either , of those attributes! Against Chorley is the ideal game to try things imo.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could Nuno convert Semedo?
I don´t know...thought they were of the same religion.

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think it was me who suggested this the other day and on several threads now? He certainly can't defend, and whilst that is not a reason for trying this, to me it's potentially a pretty decent suggestion. At least he thinks forward and can move with the ball. No other mf we have has both, if either , of those attributes! Against Chorley is the ideal game to try things imo.
Yeah, you was definitely one who’s posted about it. He’s got good close control, can break quickly. If the solutions are within as Nuno says, I’d be happy to see it tried.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ditto NNW, something about his forward thinking, coupled with the fact that although he is not the best defender, he could certainly do the defensive duties of a midfielder.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ditto NNW, something about his forward thinking, coupled with the fact that although he is not the best defender, he could certainly do the defensive duties of a midfielder.
What, like heading?!!!

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree that Hoever looks like the kind of player who could succeed in several positions. Put Dendoncker in back three in place of Coady. Hoever,Neves and let MGW/Vitinha/Otasowie/Shabani battle it out for the third place.

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First time in Vitinha playing career has played 2 games on the bounce with us.

If the brief time has played, nothing stood out saying YES what a player.. buy him

Sorry but for £18m option to buy, this kid is not worth it. Its yet another Mendes player movement cartel.

As for the original post, we shouldn't be looking at trying to push Semedo further forward in the hope it might work out.

If we can get both Semedo and Adama working in tandem like Doc, we'll be just fine.

It's the focal point upfront we need to sort, and Adama to be more mobile off the ball not stood still.
Teams would think twice about over loading attacks due to our ability to counter attack.

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm interested in your source for this because the received wisdom on here, with which I agree, is that he's a poor header of the ball.

Happy to be proved wrong though.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the mess we're in at the moment and with the message loud and clear 'we need to find solutions from within', this to me is a pretty obvious and potentially a neat solution to 2 issues - may help get out mf moving forward and gets a defender, who looks as though he can defend, in Hoever in at RB. I personally don't see any risk in this at all and v Chorley is an ideal game to try it. For me we have nothing to lose.

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Very interesting, thanks for this.

I rate him on the ground going forward, will have to reassess his aerial ability!
It’s part of his game that can be improved mate, for sure - I don’t think it would hold him back in a midfield position though.

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I guess it boils down to whether he's happy to play there.

Would give Hoever a run in the side, which a lot of us would like to see.
I like Semedo at RWB, but I want to see more fluidity from midfield too. I don’t think we’ll invest in this area this window, and not sure we’ll abandon a back four (yet).

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I dont understand this thread. Where is he supposed to play? For me he doesn't have the attributes of a CM and of he plays wide right is he better than Adama? Here's an idea, play him at WB where he is suited. He did have a ropey start, but he's lost his whipping boy status now (passed on to Silva and now Mouts).

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I dont understand this thread. Where is he supposed to play? For me he doesn't have the attributes of a CM and of he plays wide right is he better than Adama? Here's an idea, play him at WB where he is suited. He did have a ropey start, but he's lost his whipping boy status now (passed on to Silva and now Mouts).
In front of Neves and Dendoncker, centrally. Nobody is suggesting he replaces Adama.

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So we want to make Semedo a Portuguese version of Kevin Foley?
No, just want to see more runs at defence centrally, give extra support Fabio, have someone who isn’t afraid to shoot or take his man on. We need more goals and I think he could help contribute to that and get us in the box through the middle.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you can't see him as a potential cmf I'm really surprised. He's far more fleet footed and attack minded than any of our mf and he's hardly set the world alight with his defensive qualities.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't see why we could not try this as we have been crying out for some pace in our mf and someone who can carry the ball; Semedo can do both of these things. Him in front of Neves and Donc would be a decent shout for me.

Back
Top Bottom