Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Could a team take PGMOL to court?

Madmalc

Reaction score
Given the obvious failings of PGMOL and VAR could the PGMOL be on the receiving end of a Premier league club action against then.
You have to bear in mind a relegation is worth millions.
What do mixers think?
Should we start a petition to ask for it to happen?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
No, it's a silly idea*.

*unless you have unearthed the money trail ;)

Also btw I believe the referees are self employed and not employees of the PGMOL (tax dodge).

Wolf of Salop

Groupie
Reaction score
If it were possible I would like a class case submitted where a large number of clubs who have an interest- taking these clowns to task. Im not a conspiracy theorist and I genuinely don't think there is a movement against us, it's more of an unconscious bias/ incompetence thingy going on. I like the way GON has called them out though, a bit like LFC did, let's see what their next move is!

Madmalc

Reaction score
Would a class action by the Fans of multiple clubs get them to sort it out?
Or a petition to Parliament?
Always bearing in mind if Parliament gets involved it always signals the death knell to any industry?
No matter which party happens to be in charge at the time.

Last edited:

JJ59

Reaction score
I can't see that any laws are being breached but there is a contractual relationship between EPL and PGMOL. If so I would suggest that the EPL is not receiving the quality of service that they demand and pay for. If the bulk of the EPL teams raise this as a very real issue that is causing harm, loss of value and reputation then the management of the Premier League would have to take action. They should be looking to devise a new structure that can be introduced next season.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
it's simply not sporting for a particular club or the fans of, to seriously question refereeing, especially going as far as a lawsuit. it would be better for the chairman to collectively apply pressure for changes via the FA. The clear and obvious error thing is a nonsense for a start.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it were possible I would like a class case submitted where a large number of clubs who have an interest- taking these clowns to task. Im not a conspiracy theorist and I genuinely don't think there is a movement against us, it's more of an unconscious bias/ incompetence thingy going on. I like the way GON has called them out though, a bit like LFC did, let's see what their next move is!
And me. I have suggested this before, but can't see that anything is happening. There are 20 Prem clubs, 14 are not "Sky 6". Enough to threaten the stability if they have the cajones. All the whinging on Molmix and swearing at officials gets us precisely nowhere. Nothing has changed or is changing for the better. If anything, it's getting worse. It needs to be challenged properly and that would be in the courts. Otherwise; they're fine discussion points for people to let of steam about, but that's all.

Last edited:

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be surprised if there wasn't an agreement in place when they brought in VAR that clubs couldn't take action further

bigwolf

Reaction score
There is nothing stopping a club or set of clubs taking the premier League or PMGOL to court.

But every club will have agreed to a set of rules /terms as part of competing in the premier League. Part of those will be agreeing not to do so.

And thus will render any legal action pointless.

However, the threat is often used as a way of applying pressure (or a shakedown as Simon Jordan referred to yesterday) to get some form on compensation or changes made.

Same as the Everton debacle. They will get with get a nominal points deduction like three points or maybe six and we will all be up in arms but it will be in line with the menu of actions that can be applied. The threat of legal action will be rises up but ultimately nothing will happen.

So I just can't see it happening and personally I think that is a good thing.

There is nothing wrong with the principle of VAR. It is an way of getting big decisions correct. But they way it is implemented in the premier league is shambolic at times.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist and believe we are not being shafted by some higher power but we have been of the wrong end of some extremely poor decisions. Due to incompetence, human error and bad luck. Just think of how good it will feel when one goes our way ha!

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More disallowed goals, dodgy penalties to our disadvantage?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
it's simply not sporting for a particular club or the fans of, to seriously question refereeing, especially going as far as a lawsuit. it would be better for the chairman to collectively apply pressure for changes via the FA. The clear and obvious error thing is a nonsense for a start.
Bluntly the PL and the clubs in it are businesses and legally need to operate in their own best interests. The FA can ensure sporting integrity, and head off any possible litigation, by ensuring competent officials. That would probably mean a mass clear out of the current PGMOL dross.

T

TheConcourse

Bluntly the PL and the clubs in it are businesses and legally need to operate in their own best interests. The FA can ensure sporting integrity, and head off any possible litigation, by ensuring competent officials. That would probably mean a mass clear out of the current PGMOL dross.
Meeting our new referee line up:

Antonios Taylorovich
Davidé Cooté
Stuartinho Attwellinho

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can we stop playing the victims….

….everyone has decisions against them. We remember the ones we don’t get not the ones we do.

Incompetent and needs improving sure. No different to old days when ref was a banker and goal was clearly offside. No thank you suing VAR or Ref or PL.

Breaking rules per Everton or others maybe - but people in glass houses…

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unless you have cast iron proof of wrong doing,and there is none,then no court in the world would prosecute
It may be irritating and poorly run but many things in life are
Would you take C4 to court for putting on programmes that you dont like?
Would you take teams to court for performing badly?
How many politicians could we prosecute for being bad at their jobs?
The list goes on, we may not like it but it doesnt make it unlawful

Wolflaw

Reaction score
I would have thought that the only realistic way would be if one could show that the laws of the game were not being properly applied. That would be impossible in most cases but we have seen a few, such as Lemina's second yellow at Southampton last season and the scandalous offside given against Brighton at Palace.

Any agreement between the clubs and PL/VAR must be predicated on the supposition that the laws are applied.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unless you have cast iron proof of wrong doing,and there is none,then no court in the world would prosecute
It may be irritating and poorly run but many things in life are
Would you take C4 to court for putting on programmes that you dont like?
Would you take teams to court for performing badly?
How many politicians could we prosecute for being bad at their jobs?
The list goes on, we may not like it but it doesnt make it unlawful
Plenty of politicians have been “investigated” by the media
Blatter , Platini and many others have been “investigated” by the media

Maybe it’s time for some investigative journalism.
Being allowed to ply their trade in the Middle East seems a good place to start.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Plenty of politicians have been “investigated” by the media
Blatter , Platini and many others have been “investigated” by the media

Maybe it’s time for some investigative journalism.
Being allowed to ply their trade in the Middle East seems a good place to start.
No offence to the OP, but it is a very silly idea. I do think it's worth a discussion of how the relationships all work though. As I understand it (probably incorrectly).

My understanding is that the PL and EFL formed the PGMOL as a sort of quasi-independent body, but still totally reliant on their funding. All professional refs are under the PGMOL framework, so there is no real alternative (you probably couldn't even employ foreign refs if you thought that was sensible post-Brexit). The PGMOL allocates referees from its select officials list, but they are classed (although HMRC are not happy) as self-employed. So the PGMOL can't stop them moonlighting in Saudi or wherever if it fits into their schedule.

They apply laws written by IFAB who also decide the limits of use of VAR technology. The EPL decided not to go with semi-automated offsides this season.

Correct away!

T

TheConcourse

Can we stop playing the victims….

….everyone has decisions against them. We remember the ones we don’t get not the ones we do.

Incompetent and needs improving sure. No different to old days when ref was a banker and goal was clearly offside. No thank you suing VAR or Ref or PL.

Breaking rules per Everton or others maybe - but people in glass houses…
Love the faux positivity.

You’re right, of course. We’ve seen a huge amount of significant game changing decisions go our way in the last 3 seasons…!!

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No offence to the OP, but it is a very silly idea. I do think it's worth a discussion of how the relationships all work though. As I understand it (probably incorrectly).

My understanding is that the PL and EFL formed the PGMOL as a sort of quasi-independent body, but still totally reliant on their funding. All professional refs are under the PGMOL framework, so there is no real alternative (you probably couldn't even employ foreign refs if you thought that was sensible post-Brexit). The PGMOL allocates referees from its select officials list, but they are classed (although HMRC are not happy) as self-employed. So the PGMOL can't stop them moonlighting in Saudi or wherever if it fits into their schedule.

They apply laws written by IFAB who also decide the limits of use of VAR technology. The EPL decided not to go with semi-automated offsides this season.

Correct away!
Well as far as not stopping them , can’t they just not allocate any matches?

No doubt referees would argue it’s good for them as they gain more international experience. Good for overall standards as the same rules are administered more uniformly across the world.

Good for their bank balances as payment is probably tax free to offshore accounts.
That’s where journalism has added some value in the past.

What I find difficult to understand is why the Saudi Pro league would want to fly officials out, all expenses paid etc etc when the attendance figures wouldn’t cover their fees.

I get that they see Ronaldo, Neymar etc raising the profile but would people tune in or turn up to see Anthony Taylor as the main attraction?
Of course whilst the refs are in the country it’s an opportunity to talk to them about lots of things
Just a thought

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Well as far as not stopping them , can’t they just not allocate any matches?

No doubt referees would argue it’s good for them as they gain more international experience. Good for overall standards as the same rules are administered more uniformly across the world.

Good for their bank balances as payment is probably tax free to offshore accounts.
That’s where journalism has added some value in the past.

What I find difficult to understand is why the Saudi Pro league would want to fly officials out, all expenses paid etc etc when the attendance figures wouldn’t cover their fees.

I get that they see Ronaldo, Neymar etc raising the profile but would people tune in or turn up to see Anthony Taylor as the main attraction?
Of course whilst the refs are in the country it’s an opportunity to talk to them about lots of things
Just a thought
The PGMOL aren't allocating games in Saudi though, the refs are just freelancing I presume. Not sure the finances are an issue to the Saudi League either. Soft power is all about making the unacceptable acceptable.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The PGMOL aren't allocating games in Saudi though, the refs are just freelancing I presume. Not sure the finances are an issue to the Saudi League either. Soft power is all about making the unacceptable acceptable.
My point is not about whether they can afford it. Obviously they can.
More - is there an ulterior motive to have them there at all

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is there any record of a PGMOL ref working in the middle east?

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if the fans should!

The club obviously won’t, but some action is needed and fast.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It can't be far off someone taking legal action, surely. Too much money at stake for them to keep ****ing up like this.

Back
Top Bottom