Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Corner kick routine

el gringo

Reaction score
What's it all about? Any ideas anyone? Am I missing something?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
It draws at least one defender out of the box, and it changes the path angle that the ball is delivered into the target area giving it a wider arc for deflection making it more difficult for the keeper to judge.

This. Much as I'm from the school of 's top messing about and get it in the box' the simple maths is that we put one player out and they have to bring two to defend it. Not all the deliveries were great yesterday though and maybe it's harder to judge the timing of attacking movement in the area?

S

Shifnal Wolf

If I’m honest, I thought our corners this season with Baz and Cav have been the best in absolute yonks.

They are with pace and in the right area more often than not.

I also like the fact it pulls at least one of their players out of the box too.

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
It's a lot easier to put spin/movement on a cross when the ball is moving. The little touch from Cav/Barry means that the other one can cross a moving ball, rather than a stationary one. Minor details, but they can make a difference.

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
Its more the defending corners that frustrate me. We rarely ever leave a player up and bring everyone back which allows our opponents to flood the box.

Never understand why we dont leave an outlet for the break

I've been saying this for ages. If you left Cav and Jota on halfway, the opposition would have to leave at least two/three players back to stop the counter.

gewolf

Reaction score
The fact that their goal was directly from a corner obviously annoyed Nuno based on his comments after the game. It sounds like more work on the training ground for our guys this week!

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've been saying this for ages. If you left Cav and Jota on halfway, the opposition would have to leave at least two/three players back to stop the counter.
Mourinho at Chelsea used to leave three players out the box, meaning 4 defenders kept back, less crowded box and backed his defenders to do their job

wolfinaguernsey

Reaction score
never seem to work out why a team defending a corner does not leave 3 up the attacking side would then have 4 back plus the keeper and taker that realistically cant score and then giving more room in the box to defend........ Nuno if you are reading give it a go !!!

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It also means we have the option to take an inswinger or outswinger which makes it harder for the defence to set up. What we do need is the ref/linesman ensuring that the 2 defenders don't encroach closer than the 10 yards before the kick is taken. A few times, when the short option has been taken, a defender is virtually standing on the ball and blocking the cross.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
think our corner routines have been great this year, under Lambert and Jackett i seem to remember the delivery being completely woeful often not beating the first man or being an easy take for the keeper used to drive me up the wall to be honest

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Douglas takes an outswinger from the left hand side then he needs bend on the ball for it to reach around the 10 yard mark from the goal. From the corner spot it likely bends out of play whereas if it’s knocked to him he gets the right pace, bend and accuracy on the ball.

Justawolf

Reaction score
I liked the paul cook method of taking corners, curl the ball into the net directly!!

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure and can't be bothered to check, but I think the stats for goals scored from corners is less than 2%, so not worth getting excited about.

Wardy129

Reaction score

Ditto to that! We are happy to draw a player out with the corners yet defending we bring everyone back. Logically you bring everyone back and they have an extra attacker sniffing around the box, leave one up and by default they would leave too back.

What do we know though hey?

S

SavageWolf

This. Much as I'm from the school of 's top messing about and get it in the box' the simple maths is that we put one player out and they have to bring two to defend it. Not all the deliveries were great yesterday though and maybe it's harder to judge the timing of attacking movement in the area?
It's a good idea to do it now and again but Baz and Cav are doing it for every corner which is annoying, sometimes just get the ****ing ball in the box and the player that's not taking the corner get on the edge of the box for a drop down. The success rate is terrible so I'd change it up.

T

turner845

Creating chances and scoring goals from somebody set pieces is generally something what lower standard teams and players work on. We have enough quality in our team at this level to not bother as much with that. Instead of working on and in a lot of cases over complicating what we do in an attacking sense from corners we should concentrate on what we do when defending them.

Back
Top Bottom