Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Come on Chelsea!!!

Oldskooldayz

Groupie
Reaction score
It's for the best if we don't have to go through europa qualifying again on top of the knockout tournament in August. The players will need a break.

The only way we could cope with the extra games and such a short close season would be sign 4/5 players on top of what we've already got and I just can't see that happening.

Purple Ronnie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So if Arsenal win it do they go straight into the 1st round or do they have to qualify?

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's for the best if we don't have to go through europa qualifying again on top of the knockout tournament in August. The players will need a break.

The only way we could cope with the extra games and such a short close season would be sign 4/5 players on top of what we've already got and I just can't see that happening.
2nd qualifying round isn't until after the season has started again

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The cosy club all help each other, unless it's a winner takes all situation. Watch Chelsea bend over for Arsenal with a wink and a nudge.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So just like last season, the Final of the Football Association Challenge Cup (I love the full competiton name!), could clinch us our 2nd consecutive European spot, for the 1st tine since 1974!

It will no doubt be tight, but if Chelsea produce the kind of the performance they did today against the Gunners, I am hopeful they'll be a glass or two of something sweet next Saturday evening, being raised within the Santo, Shi and Coady households, just to name a few.

For the only time (probably EVER): Up The Blues!

And for info, the Royal Family's Head's Up charity - has been given the Final sponsorship by title sponsor Emirates, to further promote Mental Health.

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last year was 99.9% sure of a Man City win. this time it’s 50/50 Whether it be Chelsea or arsenal

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbf I don't know if I care enough, if we qualify great. If we miss out, manage to keep hold of everyone, then the added focus, rest and time to prepare could really mean a big push to the top 4.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Arsenal are the only sky top six team to not be in Europe now. I can see them getting a helping hand

Exactly. Only one outsider allowed in any given year, and Leicester have got that slot this time, so tough luck Wolves, unless by some miracle you win the Europa League (to the consternation of the Sky Six cartel and the EPL powers that be, if indeed the latter is not the same as the former).

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What happens if we win the EL, would the others still be in the champions league/EL?

Or am I right in thinking the Fa cup winner is knocked out?

D

Deleted member 9788

What happens if we win the EL, would the others still be in the champions league/EL?

Doesn't make a difference. If we win europa it won't affect any other English team (I think)

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s just an extra place in the CL. If we were in Europa because Chelsea win the cup I don’t think 8th gets our Europa league place.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Doesn't make a difference. If we win europa it won't affect any other English team (I think)

In the event that Wolves were to win the Europa League, there would be 5 English clubs in UCL and just 2 in Europa League next season. Basically there can only be a maximum of 7 English teams in Europe, no matter what.

If Arsenal, sorry, silly me, WHEN Arsenal win the FA Cup, I think it will be them and the team that finished 5th in the EPL (Leicester) that would go through to the Europa next season (Spurs missing out) in the fantasy scenario where we win Europa next month.

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Arsenal, sorry, WHEN Arsenal win the FA Cup, I think it will be them and the team that finished 5th in the EPL (Leicester) that would go through to the Europa next season (Spurs missing out) in the fantasy scenario where we win Europa next month
Spurs won’t miss out. Arsenal will go in group stages if they win the cup along with Leicester. Spurs will go in at the qualifying stages.
if we win Europa league we just go in the champions league, nothing would change in the EL

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spurs won’t miss out. Arsenal will go in group stages if they win the cup along with Leicester. Spurs will go in at the qualifying stages.
if we win Europa league we just go in the champions league, nothing would change in the EL

No, that's wrong I'm afraid. There can only be 7 English teams in Europe. If 5 in UCL, only 2 in Europa.

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, that's wrong I'm afraid. There can only be 7 English teams in Europe. If 5 in UCL, only 2 in Europa.
Are you saying spurs are in Europa league now but will not be in it if we win the Europa league I’m confused.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
UEFA's rule book - can in such circumstances cater for 8 or 9 teams from one nation. If Arsenal win the Cup, but we win the UEL, on the basis of it, we go straight into UCL, Leicester and Arsenal get UEL Group Stage berths and Spurs will have the 2nd Qualifying Round.

In a fantasy scenario: if a UCL Winner and UEL winner - both happened to be from England and ended up outside of European spots in the League; along with BOTH the League Cup and FA Cup winners and all 4 were different sides: again, 9 teams WOULD qualify - with both the UCL and UEL winners would be straight into the Champions League and the rest for the Europa League and Europa Conference League from 2021 would be shuffled accordingly.

And for the record, we would be in the Champions League, taking up the berth of the Europa League title holders - IF we won it in any case.

Last edited:

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are you saying spurs are in Europa league now but will not be in it if we win the Europa league I’m confused.

You're right that's what I'm saying, but Spurs only get bumped if Arsenal win FA Cup and we win Europa. If Arsenal don't win FA Cup (as if) and we win Europa (we can but dream), then the team in 8th in EPL (ironically Arsenal) wouldn't cop a Europa League place next season instead of us in 7th.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
UEFA's rule book - can in such circumstances cater for 8 or 9 teams from one nation. If Arsenal win the Cup, but we win the UEL, on the basis of it, we go straight into UCL, Leicester and Arsenal get UEL Group Stage berths and Spurs will have the 2nd Qualifying Round.

In a fantasy scenario: if a UCL Winner and UEL winner - both happened to be from England and ended up outside of European spots in the League; along with BOTH the League Cup and FA Cup winners and all 4 were different sides: again, 9 teams WOULD qualify - with both the UCL and UEL winners would be straight into the Champions League and the rest for the Europa League and Europa Conference League from 2021 would be shuffled accordingly.

That's not what I read on BBC website the other day. Don't have link as don't remember the title of the article, but it was saying max 7 English teams in Europe. Perhaps what I read is wrong; BBC usually reliable but not I suppose infallible.

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're right that's what I'm saying, but Spurs only get bumped if Arsenal win FA Cup and we win Europa. If Arsenal don't win FA Cup (as if) and we win Europa (we can but dream), then the team in 8th in EPL (ironically Arsenal) wouldn't cop a Europa League place next season instead of us in 7th.
The only thing that changes for spurs is whether they go in at group stage which means Chelsea win the cup or qualifying stage if arsenal win. Our winning of Europa has no bearing on them.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's not what I read on BBC website the other day. Don't have link as don't remember the title of the article, but it was saying max 7 English teams in Europe. Perhaps what I read is wrong; BBC usually reliable but not I suppose infallible.

Its all down to the Europa League winners, having a dedicated Champions League Group Stage berth reserved for them - regardless of nation.

It would all therefore, look like this:

Champions League

- Wolverhampton Wanderers (UEFA Europa League Winners)
- Liverpool (Premier League Champions)
- Manchester City (2nd in Premier League)
- Mancester Utd (3rd in Premier League)
- Chelsea (4th in Premier League)

Europa League

- Leicester City (5th in Premier League)
- Arsenal (FA Cup Winners)
- Tottenham Hotspur (6th in Premier League; League Cup Winners berth, inherted from Man City's LC win being given to 6th in the League, through City's UCL Qualification via there 2nd place finish in the Premier League)

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its all down to the Europa League winners, having a dedicated Champions League Group Stage berth reserved for them - regardless of nation.

It would all therefore, look like this:

Champions League

- Wolverhampton Wanderers (UEFA Europa League Winners)
- Liverpool (Premier League Champions)
- Manchester City (2nd in Premier League)
- Mancester Utd (3rd in Premier League)
- Chelsea (4th in Premier League)

Europa League

- Leicester City (5th in Premier League)
- Arsenal (FA Cup Winners)
- Tottenham Hotspur (6th in Premier League; League Cup Winners berth, inherted from Man City's LC win being given to 6th in the League, through City's UCL Qualification via there 2nd place finish in the Premier League)

So if Arsenal don't win the FA Cup next weekend, and we somehow miraculously win the Europa, what would happen to our Europa League slot for next season based on finishing 7th (because FA Cup won by Chelsea who are already through to UCL)? Would that spot go to 8th (ironically Arsenal)?

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So if Arsenal don't win the FA Cup next weekend, and we somehow miraculously win the Europa, what would happen to our Europa League slot for next season based on finishing 7th (because FA Cup won by Chelsea who are already through to UCL)? Would that spot go to 8th (ironically Arsenal)?

Arsenal would miss out and would mean Spurs inherting that 2nd Group Stage berth and us getting Spurs current berth of the 2nd Qualifying Round. It is win or bust for The Gunners!

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Arsenal would miss out and would mean Spurs inherting that 2nd Group Stage berth and us getting Spurs current berth of the 2nd Qualifying Round. It is win or bust for The Gunners!

So, I don't get it...

- Let's say Chelsea win the FA Cup next weekend; we all celebrate a UEL place next season as a result;
- But then, miraculously we win this season's UEL and go into next season's UCL;
- What happens to the UEL spot we were celebrating after Chelsea won the FA Cup? Surely it would go to the team who finished 8th in EPL (Arsenal), unless - as I said originally - there's a limit of 7 clubs from England in Europe??

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
So, I don't get it...

- Let's say Chelsea win the FA Cup next weekend; we all celebrate a UEL place next season as a result;
- But then, miraculously we win this season's UEL and go into next season's UCL;
- What happens to the UEL spot we were celebrating after Chelsea won the FA Cup? Surely it would go to the team who finished 8th in EPL (Arsenal), unless - as I said originally - there's a limit of 7 clubs from England in Europe??
There's a limit of 7, so our EL spot would be "upgraded" to a CL spot, and Leicester and Spurs would be the two EL clubs.

Back
Top Bottom