Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Collecting football shirts

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
I have found myself collecting shirts the last few years. Started collecting a few Hellas Verona shirts then has spread to other teams. Only problem never get to wear them as Italian sizes are tiny and I am a fat *******

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have to admit, I used to pick up football shirts when I’d go on a European holiday. I still remember the look on the face of the guy behind the club shop counter at Dinamo Bucharest … “What? You want to buy one..?”

Nor getting beeped and waved at by drivers in Berlin after I forgot I’d put on a Galatasaray shirt that morning!

I too am a fat **** so the remaining ones that I have left are in a drawer somewhere

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have to admit, I used to pick up football shirts when I’d go on a European holiday. I still remember the look on the face of the guy behind the club shop counter at Dinamo Bucharest … “What? You want to buy one..?”

Nor getting beeped and waved at by drivers in Berlin after I forgot I’d put on a Galatasaray shirt that morning!

I too am a fat **** so the remaining ones that I have left are in a drawer somewhere
Glad it wasn’t just me who used to do that. Every foreign trip in my 20s I’d buy the shirt of the nearest decent local team. Stopped when I was 30 though and not brought a shirt for any team in 13 years.

I know it makes me a massive grumpy git but I don’t understand fans of any clubs buying replica shirts past 30. Amazes me in the south bank, blokes in their mid 40s with a beer gut on them wearing a shirt with Podence on the back.

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Glad it wasn’t just me who used to do that. Every foreign trip in my 20s I’d buy the shirt of the nearest decent local team. Stopped when I was 30 though and not brought a shirt for any team in 13 years.

I know it makes me a massive grumpy git but I don’t understand fans of any clubs buying replica shirts past 30. Amazes me in the south bank, blokes in their mid 40s with a beer gut on them wearing a shirt with Podence on the back.
Pretty much the same. It’s each to their own but I just found that footy shirts were a bit “unflattering”after I hit my thirties and look a bit daft on the older gent

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pretty much the same. It’s each to their own but I just found that footy shirts were a bit “unflattering”after I hit my thirties and look a bit daft on the older gent

I’ll wear a shirt usually first home and last home game (I’m 36), tends to be one from the 90s… but that’s just because I always think Molineux looks great in the sun when it’s a sea of gold. Rest of the season it’s a scarf and usually something I can get away with wearing rest of the evening afterwards.

Re: the original post I’ve been buying old Wolves shirts on eBay during the pandemic. My personal favourite, the marmite tyre mark shirt, I managed to get for £90 in a large. These days there going for upwards of £250 for M, L & XL. Not that I’d sell it.

Keith maniac

Groupie
Reaction score
I’m a bit of a trainspotter with shirts, I’ve been collecting Wolves and England shirts since the late 70’s. I have loads of the Umbro, Spall, Scoreline, Bukta etc. Also have a few match worn shirts from the 80’s.
I’ll sell them one day when the missus realises I’m a twit, and I’m on the street.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The last replica shirt I bought was one of the Goodyear ones. I certainly wouldn't buy one now, not just because of my age, but also because of the ridiculous prices fans are charged for them.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The last replica shirt I bought was one of the Goodyear ones. I certainly wouldn't buy one now, not just because of my age, but also because of the ridiculous prices fans are charged for them.
If you’re happy to wait until late in the season you can pick them up at very good value with the promotions they’ve done. Got mine for £16.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
2 for £25 for me towards the end of the season and I had £13 in wolves cash (albeit by being ripped off for other stuff bought as presents) so £6 a go. Also way too old and too fat, but still like to wear one to matches. Probably is 'unflattering' but the benefit of old age is not giving a toss about that either! Retire them to run in anyway after a season or two.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm 45 and have a pretty extensive collection of various football shirts dating back to my childhood. Got a ton of Wolves ones and usually buy all three kits each season, though I usually wait for the deals to begin and most of those I buy, don't get worn, they're merely added to my collection....which does the other halfs head in, as I've got a couple of large wardrobes full of Wolves clobber.
All my foreign shirts are stored in storage bags in the loft.
My oldest original Wolves shirt dates back to the Bukta/GoodYear era, though I do have a few retro reproductions too.
Would love to get my hands on an Umbro 1977 shirt, as it's my birth year.

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm 38 and have only ever gone to 1 game without wearing a Wolves shirt. Corporate of course which was automatically odd but just not for me.
Each to their own, I know I look quite ridiculous when I've got a base layer underneath in the winter too but keeps me warmer than a sweatshirt or a hoodie.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would love to get my hands on an Umbro 1977 shirt, as it's my birth year.

The three leaping Wolves shirt was a thing of beauty.

Always wanted one, I remember playing school football in that era and one of the opposition teams we drew in a cup game played in that exact kit!!
I was awestruck..... weirdly it was in Australia ( which had a big Wolves following in those days).
Unfortunately swapping shirts at the end of games wasn't the done thing in those days :(

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I used to buy every England shirt in the Umbro era. I owned every England home/away/third shirt from 1986 onwards.

In 1986 I was 7 so my oldest shirts no longer fit, some became so threadbare they had to be binned, which consisted of carefully cutting the three lions off first - I have a small pile of England badges because of this.

For my 30th my friends clubbed together and found a genuine match grade Italia 90 home shirt with embroidered badge and "FIFA WORLD CUP ITALY '90" stitched beneath with Bully's red felt 21 on the back. It was my most prized possession.

Along with a collection of around 15 classic and genuine England shirts, it along with my suitcase was stolen at Tambo Airport in Johannesburg, when I went to the 2010 World Cup.

Typing this has reminded me how bitter I am about that. FFS.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I used to buy every England shirt in the Umbro era. I owned every England home/away/third shirt from 1986 onwards.

In 1986 I was 7 so my oldest shirts no longer fit, some became so threadbare they had to be binned, which consisted of carefully cutting the three lions off first - I have a small pile of England badges because of this.

For my 30th my friends clubbed together and found a genuine match grade Italia 90 home shirt with embroidered badge and "FIFA WORLD CUP ITALY '90" stitched beneath with Bully's red felt 21 on the back. It was my most prized possession.

Along with a collection of around 15 classic and genuine England shirts, it along with my suitcase was stolen at Tambo Airport in Johannesburg, when I went to the 2010 World Cup.

Typing this has reminded me how bitter I am about that. FFS.

Sorry to hear about that, that’s gutting.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been collecting for some years and when we were in L1 I think I did quite well on ebay but lately its almost impossible to bag a bargain and when an unusual one turns up it just go's for silly money. Upto 20-25 shirts so pleased with that.

Wolowolf6

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Like others have said, I also try and pick up a local team’s shirt when I go off on holiday. I’ve got a shirt from Cuzco’s team kicking about somewhere from when I went to Peru.

I don’t know if anyone else has heard of it, but Surprise Shirts is a great resource and gift idea if you’re after random football shirts from across the world.
I got given 6 months’ worth as a birthday present last year (you get 1 delivered per month) and have received some spectacularly random ones. Probably the most random is the Mysterious Dwarves FC shirt (and no, I’m not making that up) who play in Ghana:

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like others have said, I also try and pick up a local team’s shirt when I go off on holiday. I’ve got a shirt from Cuzco’s team kicking about somewhere from when I went to Peru.

I don’t know if anyone else has heard of it, but Surprise Shirts is a great resource and gift idea if you’re after random football shirts from across the world.
I got given 6 months’ worth as a birthday present last year (you get 1 delivered per month) and have received some spectacularly random ones. Probably the most random is the Mysterious Dwarves FC shirt (and no, I’m not making that up) who play in Ghana:

Am I the only one who can now hear Peter Andre in my mind after this post?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I was actually in Cape Coast in December (some truly horrifying former slave handling sites). Small world....

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m going to get a shirt with Moutinho on the back. If he leaves I want something that I can look at to prove that someone as good as him actually played for my team.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't collect them but was given an odd one a few years ago. It's a Dundee Utd supporter's shirt, in the club colours (tangerine) with the words PROUD TO BE AN ARAB emblazoned across the chest in black. Quiz question is why those words and how did they arise?

Last edited:

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't collect them but was given an odd one a few years ago. It's a Dundee Utd supporter's shirt, in the club colours (orange) with the words PROUD TO BE AN ARAB emblazoned across the chest in black. Quiz question is why those words and how did they arise?

I believe it is because at one time the Tannadice Park pitch had that much sand dumped on it to make play possible they turned it into what was described as a desert !

According to my Glasgow mate who is a fine man of football trivia it was in the bleak winter of 1963 and in a bid to get the game on they brought in a tar burner to melt the ice. The ice was that thick ( I did not arrive on earth until 1965 so I have no first hand knowledge of that winter ! ) it did not fully work so they tipped hundreds of tons of sand on it to get in playable. Apparently they played that well on it they were nicknamed " The Arabs " and the fans adopted as a nickname :D:D:D

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe it is because at one time the Tannadice Park pitch had that much sand dumped on it to make play possible they turned it into what was described as a desert !

According to my Glasgow mate who is a fine man of football trivia it was in the bleak winter of 1963 and in a bid to get the game on they brought in a tar burner to melt the ice. The ice was that thick ( I did not arrive on earth until 1965 so I have no first hand knowledge of that winter ! ) it did not fully work so they tipped hundreds of tons of sand on it to get in playable. Apparently they played that well on it they were nicknamed " The Arabs " and the fans adopted as a nickname :D:D:D
9 out of 10. Yes, this happened in the winter of 62-3. The bit you missed is that it was the supporters of Dundee FC who gave Dundee Utd fans the mocking nickname 'Arabs' after they covered their pitch in sand .They adopted the name as an ironic badge of honour
and someone then wrote a song called 'Proud to be an Arab' which ever since has been their club song, recorded by the Glasgow band Deacon Blue. Put the title in Google and the lyrics come up.

Last edited:

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have a few odd ones. In the 80's and 90's I picked up Boavista, Maidstone Utd, Southampton, Everton, Leyton Orient away, Apollon and of course a few Wolves shirts that fit my daughter now so she wears the original Manders one from time to time.

As I got older I never grew out of it. I've got a Rot Weiss Essen shirt, Atletico Miniero, Egypt, Argentina, Ukraine, Maccabi Haifa and Japan.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bumping this as I’ve seen the club store have relaunched the 1993 kits (tyre mark home shirt), now featuring the ‘Molineux’ manufacturer logo.

Going on the images alone they look decent replicas. I’m lucky enough to have two originals, but basically I’m two scared to wear them as don’t want to ruin them. Think I’ll be buying one of these now it features the logo too.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Bumping this as I’ve seen the club store have relaunched the 1993 kits (tyre mark home shirt), now featuring the ‘Molineux’ manufacturer logo.

Going on the images alone they look decent replicas. I’m lucky enough to have two originals, but basically I’m two scared to wear them as don’t want to ruin them. Think I’ll be buying one of these now it features the logo too.

Also re-launched my favourite ever home kit…

F5D0457C-CAF7-447A-8207-6E585EE430AA.jpeg

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

View attachment 28894

Just seen that myself. Great shirt. Cracking colour, great badge, classic sponsor. Fortunately got an original on eBay in large in mint condition for £32 last summer. The one I had as a 9 year old no longer fits sadly!

Definitely be buying the blue 1993 away reproduction shirt though.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have the Steve bull testimonial one, does that have any value now?

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

View attachment 28894
Slightly annoying they’ve put the “molineux” kit manufacturer on this one and not the tyre tred shirt they re did.

Loved the 94 shirt but was never a fan of the coat of arms as a badge. Not recognisable to non wolves fans.

Edit - just seen they’ve re-realised the tyre tred kit with the manufacturer logo on.

Last edited:

Preston Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
The white away version of this is my favourite ever. I wore it until it fell apart, playing 5 aside some one grabbed it and it tore off me. He was an Albion fan aswell
Let’s hope the white one is released soon. Home already on order. I can forgive the club for the current Castore nastiness if they continue to release these retro beauties.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let’s hope the white one is released soon. Home already on order. I can forgive the club for the current Castore nastiness if they continue to release these retro beauties.

I’d be very surprised if the white one isn’t next. That was my first thought. Will probably stagger launches to try and get us to buy as many as possible.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if the Nutmeg ones will be launched as well, pretty sure that’s a defunct manufacturer now.

My dream would be the 1993/94 GK shirt, with the 3D like blue and green squares. I’d pay silly money for one of those :hearteyes:

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I wonder if the Nutmeg ones will be launched as well, pretty sure that’s a defunct manufacturer now.

My dream would be the 1993/94 GK shirt, with the 3D like blue and green squares. I’d pay silly money for one of those :hearteyes:
Apart from the brand badge and one less button, what is the difference between the 93 Molineux snd 94 Nutmeg home kits as they look very similar? Do either of them have patterns within the fabric or are they both plain material?

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apart from the brand badge and one less button, what is the difference between the 93 Molineux snd 94 Nutmeg home kits as they look very similar? Do either of them have patterns within the fabric or are they both plain material?

One of the Nutmeg kits had WWFC written on the base of the collar, and also had ‘Wolves’ written into the fabric of the shirt.

1995/96 WOLVES HOME SHIRT (L) NUTMEG

Back
Top Bottom