Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Coady

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Would be a great shame to lose coady, fantastic captain and leader, but we all know where his weaknesses lie. Personally it would depend on the money. 25m plus, yes that can be reinvested and make the team stronger. Any less and i would think we would the quality of players we would bring in would not offset the loss in leadership. Having said that, if he is not a major part of lages plans, i wouldnt advocate having a potentially valuable saleable asset sitting in the bench as a cheerleader

fev123

Groupie
Reaction score
One of the most underrated players in the premier league. His reading of the game is second to none, technique, vision, organisation, passing, stamina. Reminds me of Bobby Moore I genuinely think he's that good. Some players set a tone for professionalism and dedication and they are invaluable. He's Mr Wolves to me, probably my favourite ever Wolves player. Sorry to go on but I feel strongly on this one :grinning:

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he just needs the right level of player alongside him to be very good for us, even in a back 4.

A lot of people wouldn't have taken John Stones last summer, who was apparently available for £20m. Stick him next to Ruben Dias and he's all of a sudden worth twice that.

Coady is probably the best captain I can remember. He's the type of person you need around at times of change, to help keep everyone united.

It would be a terrible mistake to let him leave this summer.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love the bloke. Real leader, talker, obviously going to be a future manager. He is planning on doing his Uefa B badge soon.

He is excellent at the centre of a three. But he lacks a couple of inches in height and a yard of pace to be truly excellent. But put the right two physical pacey centre backs next to him then he can 'mange' the game on the pitch like no one else.

In a four, he is a mid-table level centre back at best.

What are we planning to play? If its a three keep him, if it's a four then £30m could improve the defence.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely not, he is the beating heart of the team and we seem to be settling into the 343 formation going into the season. Get two quality centre backs either side of him and we're good to go.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not saying that I want him to go, but if ever there was an optimum time to sell Coady it's now. And the perfect person to buy him is Nuno. He may see Coady as the next Spurs captain.

TriumphWolf

Reaction score
Much will depend on two things; how Lage wishes to play, and whether Coady (at the age of 28) wishes to have a crack at one of the bigger-name clubs (spotlight, salary, recognition)

Personally I’d prefer he stayed and was highly successful under w

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Much will depend on two things; how Lage wishes to play, and whether Coady (at the age of 28) wishes to have a crack at one of the bigger-name clubs (spotlight, salary, recognition)

Personally I’d prefer he stayed and was highly successful under w
Ah the mysterious "W". I remember a whole thread about them.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Talk of Tottenham opening talks for Coady. Could this really happen? Would you be bothered, personally I would we cannot afford to lose any players this season especially with lack of incomings at present.

The incoming wow happen until the outgoing gew.I don't want Coady to leave though.He has a massive influence in the dressing room.Even if some of ya dow think he has it on the pitch.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would rip the dressing room apart at a time we look a bit fragile.

I'm sure there are better centre halves for us moving forwards in terms of starters, but we can't lose our captain that everyone adores at this time.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we are committed to a more open, risky style and a back four under Lage, we all know Coady will struggle. Nuno gave him protection defensively which he may not get anymore. He is 28 and with the 'English tax', a £20m-£25m bid would allow us to reinvest in a proper centre back, which otherwise may not be possible under our apparent sell-to-buy model.

It would be a real shame of course as his personality and leadership qualities are infectious. OTOH, offering Neves the captain's armband may be enough to convince him to stay.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading the squad thread has made me realise that we need to keep as many of this squad together this season. If Spurs want him tell them to wait 12 months when we can then make upgrade.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This.

Good player.
World class leader.

100%

Something about Wolves that has always amazed me is our inability to learn from history. Yes, turning on good managers the second they hit a bad patch has destroyed us before, but lets do it again. Yes, focusing on rebuilding a stand before the team is stable has destroyed us before, but lets do it again. And, relevant to this thread, yes, messing with a popular captain who holds the unit together has destroyed us before...but lets do it again.

Last edited:

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Also, I've said this before on another thread, but going to join Nuno would be a bad movie for Conor's career.

Not because I don't like Nuno. Love the guy. BUT Conor is very much seen as Nuno's man, and there are questions -which keep him from the England starting 11, amongst other things- over whether he can play as successfully outside of Nuno's tactics. If he goes to Spurs now, that's how he'll always be seen. If he stays here and excels in an attacking team -or even goes to another prem club aside from Spurs and does well- he'll be free of that question.

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
Coady is arguable the best player in his position in this country and he's very clearly a brilliant captain. For anyone looking to play 3 at the back, it's easy to see why he would be so coveted.

Because we've not see the incomings into the squad that we all hoped for, it's very likely now that we'll start with 3 at the back at Leicester.

Coady is essential to that formation and if you mess about with it, it's a recipe for disaster.

If we'd have brought in an experienced CB and a similarly experienced CDM already then maybe things could have been different, but right now there is absolutely no way that we should even think about selling Coady.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I stated when Nuno became their manager that the first name on his list should be Coady
Spurs have no leader in their team, Coady fits that to a tee
A lot depends on what system we and Spurs are going to be playing,Coady fits a back 5 as good as anyone,not so much in a 4
Problem is we are already short at CB and have 2 of what we do have injured,doesnt sound like a selling scenario at the moment

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only question that needs answering is are we sticking with a back 5? If we are, Coady is literally perfect for that position. If we aren’t, that’s a totally different scenario.

Would be absolutely gutting to see him leave though.

FWIW though, stinks of lazy paper talk.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Stick as we are and he's perfect. Upgrade a top level CH and he'll look good alongside him. Either way we need him.

Noticed Lage having a long talk to him during a stoppage at Stoke, reckon he's his voice on the pitch already, all managers need a leader on the pitch and Coady is ours. He's not Nuno's man, he's Wanderer's through and through.

T

TheConcourse

I feel like the summer has reset people’s brains.

Sorry to bring us back to reality, but he’s woefully exposed in anything other than a back three. Even then he’s 3 yards deeper than the rest of the team.

It’s like a vacuum effect.

Can we not just sign a CB who is comfortable higher up the pitch? Coady isn’t that guy.

Take Spurs’ £30m, make Neves captain and sign a CB to work with Boly and Mosquera.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100%

Something about Wolves that has always amazed me is our inability to learn from history. Yes, turning on good managers the second they hit a bad patch has destroyed us before, but lets do it again. Yes, focusing on rebuilding a stand before the team is stable has destroyed us before, but lets do it again. And, relevant to this thread, yes, messing with a popular captain who holds the unit together has destroyed us before...but lets do it again.
Like Danny Baath ?

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great leader, no question about that. But footballer? Quite limited, I would say: a great pass on him but no pace, not great in the air and is terrified of players runnng at him. If he goes it will force the club to look again at the CB position and hopefully get somebody in who is a bit more versatile. If he does go, welcome Captain Neves!

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Like Danny Baath ?

Danny wasn't messed with.

He was given the same chance as everyone else, and over the course of a season lost his place but remained club captain even after Coady had clearly stepped up, and then was found a good move and THEN officially replaced as captain.

Last edited:

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Great leader, no question about that. But footballer? Quite limited, I would say: a great pass on him but no pace, not great in the air and is terrified of players runnng at him. If he goes it will force the club to look again at the CB position and hopefully get somebody in who is a bit more versatile. If he does go, welcome Captain Neves!

Just to pick up on the bit in bold. I don't disagree that he's been bullied sometimes by big physical strikers. But lets also not write him off on his abilities to deal with runners - we only have the sample of him playing under one coach's tactics. Spiers recently mentioned that the defence as a whole was often under orders to stand off. And it was under this same coach that Coady was converted to a centre back, so he will have been applying those instructions as he learned the role. So, under a different coach with different instructions, we may well see him adapt. My money is on him being able to do so, since we've seen him be able to adapt a number of times at the club. I also understand if people feel he can't adapt to it. Different opinions and all, but we need to bear in mind that we haven't yet seen him operating under Bruno's instructions aside from this past weekend in his first games back. We'll get more of an idea of what he can do over the coming weeks.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What's the source for this? Only seen the usual rubbish on Twitter about it.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What's the source for this? Only seen the usual rubbish on Twitter about it.
My thoughts exactly. I'm not saying that Tottenham haven't come in for Coady, but has a reliable source confirmed it?

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Talk of Tottenham opening talks for Coady. Could this really happen? Would you be bothered, personally I would we cannot afford to lose any players this season especially with lack of incomings at present.

Bothered? Yes, I would be incredibly bothered he is one of the best natural leaders in the league and anyone who doubts his importance to our dressing room should have a chat with Southgate and his backroom team or question why Nuno wants him.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would rip the dressing room apart at a time we look a bit fragile.

I'm sure there are better centre halves for us moving forwards in terms of starters, but we can't lose our captain that everyone adores at this time.

Yep with so many changes going on , change of manager/ coaching staff/ behind the scenes stuff, some stability is needed ....... and Coady offers that.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we stick with 343 for now then it's a no brainer to keep him. Id love to see Coady in the middle of two fast centre backs.

Back
Top Bottom