Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Coady Backup?

MrwulfAndrew

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was thinking earlier what would we do if Coady gets injured/suspended? There doesnt seem to be an obvious natural replacement.

Any ideas?

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saiss, maybe the new belgian fella.

DEVIZESWOLVES

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Was thinking earlier what would we do if Coady gets injured/suspended? There doesnt seem to be an obvious natural replacement.

Any ideas?

I’d assume Dendoncker will replace Bennett, if Coady can’t play for whatever reason I’d expect him to move across and Bennett back in perhaps?

GoonerWolf

Reaction score
Whilst Coady deserves his chance in the Premier League after a great last season, I actually think Dendoncker should be utilised at the centre of a back 3, alongside Bennett and Boly. I think it would give us more fluidity in changing our formation to 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 if 3-4-3 wasn't working during a particular match. Coady wouldn't be good enough in CM to be capable of doing this.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady wouldn't be good enough in CM to be capable of doing this.

It's been that long since he played there, but he might be good as a defensive midfielder in front of the back four in some games.

One thing i noticed today was that Coady was exposed to pace from attackers running at him because the protection vanished in front of him, and he had to back off markedly twice. Once for the shot that Patricio pushed round the post, secondly for the 2nd goal which Neves will be disappointed about losing his man for.
Not Coady's fault, but no central defender likes being exposed to a striker running at them in the penalty box.

M

merseawolf

Whilst Coady deserves his chance in the Premier League after a great last season, I actually think Dendoncker should be utilised at the centre of a back 3, alongside Bennett and Boly. I think it would give us more fluidity in changing our formation to 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 if 3-4-3 wasn't working during a particular match. Coady wouldn't be good enough in CM to be capable of doing this.
Nuno wont change the defensive shape of having 3 centre backs. Last season against Sunderland at home against 10 men they didnt have anyone to mark and he didnt change it so he is not going to start now against better players. Thats not critisizing him by the way its just the way he works. I can understand Mcmanaman saying what he did yesterday about taking one off and having another body in a forward position but we all knew he wouldnt. If he didnt against Sunderland he wasnt going to against Everton.

WWFC_Melbourne

Reaction score
It might be an unpopular opinion, particularly given the heroics of last season but I think an upgrade for Coady is one of the the most pertinent questions for Nuno and co.

It is a really tough one, because he is such an incredible leader & organiser - I just think he's likely to drop too deep and be too cumbersome against the quicker, higher quality premier league forward.

I think Dendoncker is probably that replacement but time will tell.

D

Deleted member LP 3925

I've a feeling Dendoncker may be the long term option in that role but he will move around with tactics, injuries and suspensions to the team and eventually settle there. But I'm probably wrong!

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady backup or opportunity for the anti Coady brigade to discuss how every goal we concede is some how his fault, going to be a long season.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gareth Southgate was at the match yesterday. Given that Bains, Jagielka and Walcott are yesterdays men, and he knows all about Pickford, who else was he watching? Coady, perhaps?

MrwulfAndrew

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady backup or opportunity for the anti Coady brigade to discuss how every goal we concede is some how his fault, going to be a long season.

The intention of the thread was very much to discuss backup options. We havent seen Dendoncker play yet but at the minute i dont think we have anybody quite like Coady in the squad.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady's role is to organise, sweep up and make (hopefully) killer passes to the wing backs. Who else in the squad can do that? Maybe Neves as another alternative, with Moutinho and MGW in the midfield?

We definitely need cover and competition for Coady, that doesn't mean I think he can't step up to the PL - it means we need cover and competition, as with every other position.

MrwulfAndrew

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady's role is to organise, sweep up and make (hopefully) killer passes to the wing backs. Who else in the squad can do that? Maybe Neves as another alternative, with Moutinho and MGW in the midfield?

We definitely need cover and competition for Coady, that doesn't mean I think he can't step up to the PL - it means we need cover and competition, as with every other position.

I think he can step up too. Unfortunately he may turn out to get a bit of unfair blame throughout he season. He is going to have some world class players running directly at him and trying to drag him out of position. Hes going to need help from the midfield in front.

Back
Top Bottom