Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Clearing the decks or Firesale?

Are Wolves clearing the decks or are we experiencing a full blown fire sale?

• Clearing the decks

Votes: 295 72.8%
  • Fire sale

Votes: 110 27.2%

• Total voters

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I can see lots of fans online and people across the media getting very nervous about Wolves and our approach to this Summer transfer window.

So, at this stage, I am interested to understand whether people think we are simply clearing the decks and will bring in 4 or 5 once they are cleared? Or are we watching a full blown fire sale happening right in front of us?

My view is that people's answer to that question will largely depend on their trust in Jeff and Fosun but I think it's fair to say no-one actually knows at this stage.

The only other indicator I think we have is Julen's decision to stay which would suggest he thinks he's going to get his team.

Interested to know what others think.

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Clearing the decks, we are getting good fees in for the plans, just need to remove the dead wood now.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
The squad was a mess and we're restructuring it. Apart from the inevitable Neves sale we haven't weakened the starting team. We've massively cut the wage bill and we're trimming some squad members who won't contribute enough for their value (not to mention the 17 limit). So it's all going much as expected so far, good sale prices. Not that what any of us think matters, but we need to just hold our nerve and the incomings will start soon. Anyone who thinks this is an attempt to cut and run by Fosun is just stirring IMO (is there actually anyone who believes this?)

DJLWolf

Reaction score
I don't see why people are panicking at all.

I would be panicking if the opposite was happening and we weren't moving players on and I hope to see more of the underperforming/average players we've got leave.

Lopetegui was always going to want to create a new squad and bring in his own players.

Let the media view it as a panicked ploy if they want.In reality we are moving on players who are no longer needed for good sums that will be reinvested into strengthening our squad under a top class manager!

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are raising money and will bring players in. Why is that so hard to understand? The quality of the players to come in is obviously open to question, but I don't know why there's a debate about the plan, when it's been announced and is being carried out.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
'Clearing the decks', 'Fire sale' - what's the difference? Another thread to discuss again what we've discussed already a million times?
Agreed, if you have a negative outlook it's a firesale. If you're positive it's clearing the decks.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are raising money and will bring players in. Why is that so hard to understand? The quality of the players to come in is obviously open to question, but I don't know why there's a debate about the plan, when it's been announced and is being carried out.
I'm really enjoying the break from football but in one respect I can't wait for the new season to start as we can discus real events than just conjecture/rumours as at present.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The squad was a mess and we're restructuring it. Apart from the inevitable Neves sale we haven't weakened the starting team. We've massively cut the wage bill and we're trimming some squad members who won't contribute enough for their value (not to mention the 17 limit). So it's all going much as expected so far, good sale prices. Not that what any of us think matters, but we need to just hold our nerve and the incomings will start soon. Anyone who thinks this is an attempt to cut and run by Fosun is just stirring IMO (is there actually anyone who believes this?)
2 apparently.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every player has a price.
We don’t need to sell every player.

Selective sales by us so far. If they don’t fit in with Julens plans they will be sold. If we receive bids too good to turn down they will be sold.

A firesale implies panic and financial problems which we don’t have.

I trust them to get it right this time. If we want to keep our manager they will have to.

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
i honestly think this is a case of wait and see, although we don`t have much choice in that and we may well be pleasantly surprised

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i honestly think this is a case of wait and see, although we don`t have much choice in that and we may well be pleasantly surprised

Yeah, I have a feeling we will be this season's Forest. The season before's Crystal Palace. Both went on to have much better seasons than they were expected to.

The media will roll out the old clichés about high turnover of players, but the reality is it's all change, with a top quality manager having a full pre-season to get his ideas across.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I normally feel a squad of 20 outfield players is about right. Given the serious injuries to Chiquinho & Sasa I would probably have them as an extra 2. So 22 outfield players. We currently have 27 senior outfield players.
So to my mind if we want to bring in just 3 new players, we still need to ideally sell or loan out 8 more! It’s not a fire sale, it’s shaping the squad.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As soon as Neves went for that money any lingering chance of a fire sale went in my opinion.
We are always very secretive in our dealings hence why we find out next to nothing beforehand

Monswolf

Reaction score
I just don't see it as a fire sale. We have known for the best part of a season and a half that there are members of the squad that were either leaving or in need of been moved on. This too me looks like a very sensible way of doing things before adding to the squad in area's we know need improving.

also remember Julen did near enough the exact same thing with Sevilla before having an excellent season

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think for one minute that JL would be with us if it was a fire sale.

He will be fully up to date with transfer dealings and would have had a big input in the decisions made so far and will obviously have a big influence on the decisions to come.

Have to admit I am getting a bit twitchy, though, with other clubs making moves and getting players in early. Man City, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, Yanited, Liverpool and Newcastle have already spent big money and we have got a goalkeeper on a free transfer!

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moving on the high earners so I see the club as readjusting it's wage structure which could be seen as its overall attempt to make the club self-sufficent.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
it's both.

We'll bring in some players, but nowhere near the spend which some are expecting. We have to sell and Fosun have been clear on that.
Surprised by the positivity compared to previous windows.

Reactions: Ned

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The firesale is over Neves , Coady and Collins...that was for FFP.

The rest will be clearing the decks ....

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score

Only neves would have started the season
Fire sale is panic selling off assets - not the case with Coady or collins. We’d have got more by accepting the bid for killman

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
the fact we rejected the kilman bid, all but confirms its deck clearing and not firesale

its getting rid of players that JL doesnt like the look of or doesnt fit his system and plans
Exactly
We are balancing the books not broke.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only neves would have started the season
Fire sale is panic selling off assets - not the case with Coady or collins. We’d have got more by accepting the bid for killman
Yes....didn't mean it that way ...we needed to raise a figure for FFP it was done ..with those 3 sales....and probably earlier than expected with the Neves fee . .....

We cant judge if we would had got more for kilman, cause we don't nw what bids we had ..but I reckon lopetugui would have preferred kilman out the two, that's obvious because he picked the one and not the other ...

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Nonsense that that's a fire sale. Neves should have left a year ago. Coady wants first team football/ burned his bridges/not wanted (2 of these 3 are true), Collins not fancied.

Good money for all of them puts us on an even keel.

Back
Top Bottom