Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

City verdict

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Comms today we’re saying we have the worst stats in the league for turnovers in our third resulting in shots on goals. Again today goals and pens were largely a result of us giving the ball away in bad positions. Passing the ball around at the back is no longer working once teams suss-they can just press high against us and we will gift them the ball (city do that anyway) but recently other teams have set up with a high press against us. Forwards feeding on scraps as we had so little possession in final third, so Hwang did well to get a goal under those conditions

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wrong colour for ****ing shirt
I have no doubts if that incident happened in our penalty area, there would have been a totally different decision.

I’m just bemused why our players didn’t make more of it and it’s not sour grapes by me.

Getting a bit fed up with these baffling decisions tbh. I don’t know what a handball is any more, don’t understand what is onside and what is offside, don’t understand what is a foul and what isn’t, don’t understand why linesmen don’t put flags up immediately a player is offside, don’t understand when ******* VAR gets involved and doesn’t get involved, don’t understand what is a penalty and what isn’t a penalty and many more.

That is from a lifelong Wolves fan, who has watched hundreds/thousands of matches for over 60 years and is baffled as to where the great game is heading!

If this is progress, the game is dead!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Comms today we’re saying we have the worst stats in the league for turnovers in our third resulting in shots on goals. Again today goals and pens were largely a result of us giving the ball away in bad positions. Passing the ball around at the back is no longer working once teams suss-they can just press high against us and we will gift them the ball (city do that anyway) but recently other teams have set up with a high press against us. Forwards feeding on scraps as we had so little possession in final third, so Hwang did well to get a goal under those conditions
GON had appauling stats I think worst in the league last season for many defensive aspects.

We haven’t improved defensively and at times it is amateur at best far too often.

He needs to either work harder to develop and quickly in this space or hire a coach who can improve it. The league won’t be this weak next season.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Craig Dawson in our starting 11 today would have made a big difference imo. Wouldn’t have changed the result, but would have reduced the score line.

He never gave Haaland a sniff at the Mol when we won 2-1 earlier in the season, but Haaland just bullied Kilman, who doesn’t look the same player without Dawson alongside him.

Very poor performance from our captain today.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both Lage and o Neil ultimately let down by fosun.

3 consecutive managers now

GON hasnt been let down yet. He's got what he was told he would get at the start of the season. Summer will be when we see if they back him.

Poor run of results now, with a lot of ordinary performances which is a worry. 1 win from 9 is abysmal form, but its more how we are losing i'm concerned about. We are loose, easy to score against and not carrying much of a goal threat. The injuries have knocked us back, but GON need to be way smarter tactically. We cant try to do what we have been doing lately, its not working as results show.

Its not a Lage type collapse, but its not really that far away from it tbh if it effects our moral going into next season.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched it and felt no emotion,, thanks Premier League, VAR and PGMOL you have won, and I’m out
Hate admitting it, but I couldn’t watch any more after they went two nil up. I turned the tv over to watch any old crap. It just felt so difficult and awkward that I couldn’t stomach seeing us so poor and pretty much humiliated.

One thing that was brought to my attention was the Man City fans, at half time and full time, really didnt look bothered. They couldnt be ***** to clap or cheer their team off the pitch, like everything was a tedious formality. Even their players looked bored. As great as City are, they have become a complete bore fest to watch (as odd as that sounds).

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just got back home and read most of tne comments
We were unlucky with both penalties
We had a spell of 10 mins or so where we were playing well and keeping possession before they scored there second goal
After that it was all one way traffic
City are a world class team with some of the best players in the world and they deserved the win
Let’s not forget we beat them this season
Semedo was class today

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched it and felt no emotion,, thanks Premier League, VAR and PGMOL you have won, and I’m out

Same here. As soon as their player fell in the penalty area, I don't even know why they bother with VAR. The ref had already made clear that every time a City player fell over, he was giving them a free kick. He was going to give it as sure as if the identical incident happened at the other end, VAR would have pondered for 5 minutes before deciding not to give it.

The City crowd were the most apethetic I've ever heard at a match. It made the whole thing appear like a show, not a competitive sporting event. And this league is getting more like that every month. That handful of super rich teams putting on a show each week and the officials there to make sure their opponents don't spoil it for their global fanbases. Can't have hundreds of people travelling from all over the world to see their team beaten by opponents there to make up the numbers.

Real football next match, at least.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just seen the hand ball by Akanji in their penalty area. He pushed the ball away while he was on the ground.

Pointed out by GON in his interview.

Why no penalty?
Got a link?

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got a link?
No link.

GON mentioned it in his interview on Sky Sports after the game.

Sky showed the incident and I have to say it looked pretty clear to me.

I’ve got to say that though, haven’t I.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Turned up like a lower league team who’d drawn them in the cup.

Except for we showed no character, resilience or quality.

Regardless of the quality of the opposition, I struggle to see any Wolves team roll over and have our bellies tickled in the manner we did tonight.
Did you see any of Dean Saunders games?

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Game was on at 1230pm my time. I was golfing but I recorded it and avoided seeing anything until I got home to watch.. Just finished the game. We had the moment of belief after the Hwang goal, eh? Or was it a half-moment.

el gringo

Reaction score
We had a spell of 10 mins or so where we were playing well and keeping possession before they scored there second goal
City are a world class team with some of the best players in the world and they deserved the win
Semedo was class today
I watched it on the TV, and I agree - Semedo was very good. Was all over the pitch, took responsibility, tried to make thigs happen.

Last edited:

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Watched it on TV. The first penalty was very dubious. Just a coming together of players. The second one could have gone either way. With both penalties, I had no anger anymore. I just expect them to be given against us now. The authorities have beaten the expectations of fans of clubs such as us down. There is nothing we can do about it. Nothing but to accept it or be very angry - but that is also useless and is only self harming in the end.
With neither penalty did I expect Sa to save them. It is something he’s just not good at.
As for the game itself, in previous games we would hold tight in the back, absorb their attacks and breakout to score when the opportunities arise. Yesterday, the early penalty may have spoiled our initial plans. But in any case, our defence without Dawson was always going to be breached. Our forwards didn’t get any service from the defensive midfielders who couldn’t unpick the City defence. The match was virtually played in our half most of the game.
For their open play goals, they were all preventable and were purely down to our poor defence that they weren’t.
A shout out to Hwang who scored a good goal - but that was the only consolation of the game.
The referee and VAR was generally very poor - especially with the penalties and numerous free kicks against us.
The TV commentary was also extremely poor, openly biased towards City. But that’s a running theme.
Semedo, Joao Gomes and Traore the pick of our players. Kilman, Hugo Bueno, Lemina and Cunhu have had better games.

Last edited:

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our form in the last 10 or so games would have us where most thought we'd be at the start of the season and that's in a relegation place. Even Burnley have better form! There are some mitigating factors such as injuries, but all teams/squads have those. However, most squads are larger and have more-able back up players.
Over the course of the season, GON has done well (better than expected), but maybe his star in on the wane!
Yesterday was about what I expected. City need to keep the steamroller running if they are to overhaul Arsenal and they certainly improved their GD. We have previous with big, strong centre-forwards and that trait wasn't just down to Coady. Kilman was bullied by Haaland and simply couldn't cope. Collectively, we were a shambles and individually, players were exposed.
RAN, for all his neat tricks and ability to get us up the field, is still defensively suspect. A soft peno, yes, but he was simply not aware of the player behind him and the collision just gave the ref a decision to make.
Cunha lost the ball in our own half and two second later it's 2-0.
Semedo (who otherwise did OK) gives away another penalty. How many is that, now?
Everyone in the world knows Haaland has a strong left foot and Kilman should have showed him down the line, but allows him inside to shoot beyond Sa, just after we scored. Not that our goal would have made much difference to the result!
Toti, loses the ball for the fifth. No one (Kilman again), aware of where Alvarez is in oceans of space.
Of course, this result was not unexpected, but I'm more concerned by one win in 9 and an FA Cup defeat to a Champo club, not good enough to make the play-offs. GON needs to turn this around next season as fans' expectation will be greater and there may not be so much good will towards him. A huge summer ahead for this club!

Last edited:

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of the comments on here are pathetic. Like we should never expect a result against city cos they are just better than us ?! We beat them this season at home!!! We beat better city teams TWICE in a diff season!!!!! Fact is we turned up to lose today. Why? I can’t accept that.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is Man City and it is very difficult but were awful and it didnt help us that the officiating was also awful. Several areas are in desperate need of investment this summer if we are to progress. A big summer ahead.
Man City are unbelievably good when in top form and not many teams can live with them. I am still so stunned at just how 1 sided the officiating was though, with numerous fouls from us and bookings handed out, but virtually nothing for city. It was so obvious.

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman is getting much more stick than I think he deserves. By no means a great performance but they were team failings more than his. I thought the tactics were all wrong again. City always push up and leave masses of space in behind if you prepared to go over the top, you really dont need to draw them out. I dont know why we were passing it around at the back and turning backwards so often - it totally plays in to their hands.
I thought Traore looked good again, and has been underused. I would like to see a lot more of him next season.
Typical performance from Hwang, disastrous touches and build up play on a number of occasions when we had a chance to break but then he goes and scores.... Cunha's touch was poor too and he had a tendency to run into trouble too often. Those things were key in my opinion because it consistently put the defenders under pressure and eventually you are going to crack.

Sirstancullis

Reaction score
I have no doubts if that incident happened in our penalty area, there would have been a totally different decision.

I’m just bemused why our players didn’t make more of it and it’s not sour grapes by me.

Getting a bit fed up with these baffling decisions tbh. I don’t know what a handball is any more, don’t understand what is onside and what is offside, don’t understand what is a foul and what isn’t, don’t understand why linesmen don’t put flags up immediately a player is offside, don’t understand when ******* VAR gets involved and doesn’t get involved, don’t understand what is a penalty and what isn’t a penalty and many more.

That is from a lifelong Wolves fan, who has watched hundreds/thousands of matches for over 60 years and is baffled as to where the great game is heading!

If this is progress, the game is dead!
You sound perfect for selection to the PGMOL.

Congratulations.

Or are you Howard Webb?

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman is getting much more stick than I think he deserves. By no means a great performance but they were team failings more than his. I thought the tactics were all wrong again. City always push up and leave masses of space in behind if you prepared to go over the top, you really dont need to draw them out. I dont know why we were passing it around at the back and turning backwards so often - it totally plays in to their hands.
I thought Traore looked good again, and has been underused. I would like to see a lot more of him next season.
Typical performance from Hwang, disastrous touches and build up play on a number of occasions when we had a chance to break but then he goes and scores.... Cunha's touch was poor too and he had a tendency to run into trouble too often. Those things were key in my opinion because it consistently put the defenders under pressure and eventually you are going to crack.
Agree re the tactics, we got it all wrong. You can't outplay City, no idea why we tried to that first half an hour.

Wolfman jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hate admitting it, but I couldn’t watch any more after they went two nil up. I turned the tv over to watch any old crap. It just felt so difficult and awkward that I couldn’t stomach seeing us so poor and pretty much humiliated.

One thing that was brought to my attention was the Man City fans, at half time and full time, really didnt look bothered. They couldnt be ***** to clap or cheer their team off the pitch, like everything was a tedious formality. Even their players looked bored. As great as City are, they have become a complete bore fest to watch (as odd as that sounds).
I think if you win game in, game out, most competitions, season in season out, it must be boring. The joy of supporting a team like Wolves is that the unexpected wins, the unexpected high league position, the unexpected cup run is , well, unexpected and a joy to behold and be part of.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think if you win game in, game out, most competitions, season in season out, it must be boring. The joy of supporting a team like Wolves is that the unexpected wins, the unexpected high league position, the unexpected cup run is , well, unexpected and a joy to behold and be part of.
Personally, I'd prefer to have a season like Villa's rather than our mid-table meandering, but then that's just me.
I've been very fortunate to have been able to travel to every away game bar one this season, and eventually it does grind you down when you come away with nowt.
I'm not advocating being a Man City, but a little more success rather than hoping for the "unexpected" would be welcome.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can't really compare the sides but in all honesty I expected the loss . To compete with the top four or six like Villa and Newcastle have both had to do, we need a sizeable investment in the players we bring in . The problem is we buy players normally to make a profit on rather than 3 or 4 players that are proven at this level .

Over to Fosun but I think we will get the usual ****ing about and **** that the Euros are on so can't buy anyone .Then a few weeks before the window shuts we have an offer in for a player but issues with the club or agent . The very Wolves way .By now I would have targets lined up and offers ready to go . As buying the paperboy from Peru won't improve us next season.

As can anyone genuinely say Enso or Lemina will be starting next season?. I doubt they will be here and will be out on loan , but for me that is where I struggle with our current strategy. We need players ready for now not 3 seasons like Mosquera to be bombed out on loan then wanting to leave as actually doing something for his current club .

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The first penalty is a funny one because it's one of those that if it was in the centre circle I think it would be a free-kick to City and nobody would have complained too much. But over the years when it's in the box if the player gets his shot away then the ref just lets it go. The ref could've easily done that yesterday. I also think if Ait-Nouri got to the ball first and Gvardiol collided into Ait-Nouri we would have had a free-kick.

The second penalty at first looked like Semedo might have got the ball with the way the ball changed direction, but on the reply you can see Semedo went through Haaland's foot first so no complaints from me with that one.

I haven't seen the Ake handball so I'll have to defer to others on that. It must have happened when I went to the bog.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo was class today

Agree on Semedo. Thought Joao Gomes did well too. The rest were pretty poor.

Madmalc

Reaction score
I don't understand this blame game that is going on. We have no squad depth due to last summers sales and it's most telling when you look at the substitutes bench.
Man City brought on:
John Stones €38m*
Jack Grealish €65m
Jeremy Doku €65m
Julian Alvarez €90m
Mattheus Nunes €50m
That's €308m for 5 sets of fresh legs
We brought on
Santiago Bueno €8m
Pablo Sarabia €12m
Jean-Ricner Bellegarde €15m
Tawanda Chirewa €0.5m
That's just €35.5m of fresh legs. 2/3 of whom may be nursing injuries or still recovering from injury.
We didn't muster a 5th substitute.

Those of our players who are being criticised haven't had much if any chance to be rotated and rested. Haaland was back fresh and recovered from injury, in comparison Cunha was rushed back and didn't even make the squad for the week following his return.

How many of our players do you think will have played through an injury this season, compared to what number of (if any) Man City players?

In September when our players were fresh we beat Man City, in May at the end of the season our small tired squad wasn't up to beating them.

Our team needs reinforcing not castigating.

*All prices taken from transfermarkt.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It must also be boring for Man City fans (and also the so called Super 6 fans) knowing that all the contentious decisions and ******* VAR decisions will go your way!

I’m bored and fed up watching 50/50 decisions (like City’s first penalty, for example) always go against us and incompetent, biased referees and ******* incompetent VAR officials ruining the great game and getting away scot free, without any explanations whatsoever.

The Premier League needs a rethink and hard working, fed up fans should be involved in it!

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't understand this blame game that is going on. We have no squad depth due to last summers sales and it's most telling when you look at the substitutes bench.
Man City brought on:
John Stones €38m*
Jack Grealish €65m
Jeremy Doku €65m
Julian Alvarez €90m
Mattheus Nunes €50m
That's €308m for 5 sets of fresh legs
We brought on
Santiago Bueno €8m
Pablo Sarabia €12m
Jean-Ricner Bellegarde €15m
Tawanda Chirewa €0.5m
That's just €35.5m of fresh legs. 2/3 of whom may be nursing injuries or still recovering from injury.
We didn't muster a 5th substitute.

Those of our players who are being criticised haven't had much if any chance to be rotated and rested. Haaland was back fresh and recovered from injury, in comparison Cunha was rushed back and didn't even make the squad for the week following his return.

How many of our players do you think will have played through an injury this season, compared to what number of (if any) Man City players?

In September when our players were fresh we beat Man City, in May at the end of the season our small tired squad wasn't up to beating them.

Our team needs reinforcing not castigating.

*All prices taken from transfermarkt.
That is a great and very relevant post.

Back
Top Bottom