Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Christmas fixtures to go ahead

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Possibly behind closed doors from the 27th?

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The issue is not necessarily the cancellation of the matchday, but whether clubs will have sufficient players not to get their own games individually called off.

Tuchel seems on a one-man quest to get his squad a Christmas holiday.

We're supposed to play Watford, yet know that Watford had enough corona cases to manage to get their game midweek called off. Will they manage a repeat?

If you're honest, teams who are in bad form/have a reasonably lengthy injury list have little to lose in applying to get their games delayed at present. What really needs to come out of these meetings are clear rules on what constitutes grounds for a postponement, and ideally that postponement should not be able to happen on the day of the game itself.

Surely one step forward would be to ditch the relentless mass testing of entire squads and staff and simply apply the exact same criteria to teams as are applied to fans attending games, namely you need either proof of being double vaccinated or a negative test 48 hours before the kick-off. To avoid postponements on the day of the game, the players should be able to produce a negative test result at the latest by, say, 10 pm the day before.

As long as teams have 11 players (incl. a keeper) from their main submitted squad list who can fulfil this, there should be no talk of a postponement. The subs bench can be filled with players not on the main squad list (i.e. players aged 21 and under who are at the club).

Last edited:

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good news if they can get the fixtures away. Even more so if we're going to be told to stay indoors [or only use pubs and restaurants outside!] from 28 December. The more football on TV the merrier.

Presuming they will go that way after Christmas, games behind closed doors again will feel hollow but hopefully won't last too long this time around. Famous last words.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As long as teams have 11 players (incl. a keeper) from their main submitted squad list who can fulfil this, there should be no talk of a postponement.

It's not just about the number of players out, it's about whether the club's outbreak has been controlled.

I.e. you could have 10 players positive on Wednesday, but if you have no new cases on Thursday, Friday, Saturday morning, the match would likely go ahead.

If you have 2 players positive on Thursday, a 3rd Friday and a 4th Saturday morning, then it's not clear that you've picked up all cases.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not surprised, one of the rounds of games muted to be cancelled was the Amazon-only midweek ones, they were never going to risk that relationship, it's far too important to the Premier League.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Positive test in our household means delayed xmas and I can't make the arsenal game as too risky before seeing my folks (and my partner is now isolating so can't go).

Selfish I know but as it stands I wish they'd cancel. That's going to be 4 games in a row I have to miss and loads of lost money too.

I do also think it wrong to encourage fans to travel in the very short term.

On the plus side for someone, I have two arsenal tix available unless its rearranged.

Ebbo

Reaction score
Silly Tuna... my mate will have one of your Arsenal tickets... I know that sounds like I'm jumping in, but he's an AST holder and missed the window to buy as his Dad was very ill.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Positive test in our household means delayed xmas and I can't make the arsenal game as too risky before seeing my folks (and my partner is now isolating so can't go).

Selfish I know but as it stands I wish they'd cancel. That's going to be 4 games in a row I have to miss and loads of lost money too.

On the plus side for someone, I have two arsenal tix available unless its rearranged.
Think you can get a full refund in tickets due to a positive Covid test.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did they mention anything about the standard of refereeing and VAR while they were all together!

On topic though it’s a sensible decision.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
They couldn't face the nations misery of Xmas being ruined by Wolves v Watford being called off. :D

We’re supposed to be at the Hornet-supporting in-laws on Boxing Day…outnumbered 6 to 3….

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Same in ours
Daughter then Mrs and grandson positive, isolating till boxing day. Crap aye it.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The issue is not necessarily the cancellation of the matchday, but whether clubs will have sufficient players not to get their own games individually called off.

Tuchel seems on a one-man quest to get his squad a Christmas holiday.

We're supposed to play Watford, yet know that Watford had enough corona cases to manage to get their game midweek called off. Will they manage a repeat?

If you're honest, teams who are in bad form/have a reasonably lengthy injury list have little to lose in applying to get their games delayed at present. What really needs to come out of these meetings are clear rules on what constitutes grounds for a postponement, and ideally that postponement should not be able to happen on the day of the game itself.

Surely one step forward would be to ditch the relentless mass testing of entire squads and staff and simply apply the exact same criteria to teams as are applied to fans attending games, namely you need either proof of being double vaccinated or a negative test 48 hours before the kick-off. To avoid postponements on the day of the game, the players should be able to produce a negative test result at the latest by, say, 10 pm the day before.

As long as teams have 11 players (incl. a keeper) from their main submitted squad list who can fulfil this, there should be no talk of a postponement. The subs bench can be filled with players not on the main squad list (i.e. players aged 21 and under who are at the club).
I agree that the players should be double vaccinated or produce a negative pcr test 48 hours prior. Klopp summed it for me when before the Spurs game he said “we have some out with positive covid tests but Henderson is the only person actually unwell with a stinking cold that isn’t Covid.”

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Clubs have been advised if they have 13 fit players, plus a goalkeeper, they should fulfil their games.
I'm surprised Tuchel voted for that?! 14 players is not many to go into a Pre match with? And we lost RAN in the warm up recently so it's theoretically possible for a Prem match to go ahead with the 11 on the pitch and 2 subs (and possibly no spare GK)!!! For us old uns it's just like the old days!

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Clubs have been advised if they have 13 fit players, plus a goalkeeper, they should fulfil their games.
Yeah this is what I like about it. Under 21s are included in that so it's pretty clear to everyone as to the requirements. They've all been told to take enough U21s to games just in case they need them

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Newcastle would have wanted these games postponed so they could bring in new players.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah this is what I like about it. Under 21s are included in that so it's pretty clear to everyone as to the requirements. They've all been told to take enough U21s to games just in case they need them
So Moulden or Ruddy might be the answer to our lack of goals problems.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like no new restrictions at the moment so games should be going ahead with fans which is great news.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Really hope to be off to the Emirates on the 28th.

Really hope not to spend the whole journey watching for updates on whether the game is on.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Really hope to be off to the Emirates on the 28th.

Really hope not to spend the whole journey watching for updates on whether the game is on.
Now that teams only need 13 fit players, plus a goalkeeper (and under 21s are included) I imagine most games will be on and escape last minute rumours. Although there is talk about the government bringing in stricter measures on 26th or 27th December, so that could mean games may be played without fans. Who knows, so maybe you won't be on a journey!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Now that teams only need 13 fit players, plus a goalkeeper (and under 21s are included) I imagine most games will be on and escape last minute rumours. Although there is talk about the government bringing in stricter measures on 26th or 27th December, so that could mean games may be played without fans. Who knows, so maybe you won't be on a journey!
Saw us play their u21s at Highbury in the League Cup, hope it goes better than that!

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree that the players should be double vaccinated or produce a negative pcr test 48 hours prior. Klopp summed it for me when before the Spurs game he said “we have some out with positive covid tests but Henderson is the only person actually unwell with a stinking cold that isn’t Covid.”
The scientific and medical World are still feeling out this new variant. I've no idea what the outcome will be but there's a chance despite transmissibility that it's deemed so mild we can live with it.

They just need to collect enough data, again I've no idea how much data is enough data, but given the lack of knowledge on it, it would be wise to play it safe.

Urko

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t bank on the Watford game going ahead

The Times can also reveal that at least one Premier League match over the past fortnight, Burnley v Watford, was called off two hours before the scheduled kick-off last Wednesday specifically because some unvaccinated players had to isolate.

Players who have not been double-jabbed must isolate for ten days after coming into contact with a positive case, instead of just taking a test, and it is understood that situation affected several Watford players, which led to the game at Turf Moor being postponed at such short notice that most Watford fans had already completed the 200-mile journey to Lancashire. Watford declined to comment.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t bank on the Watford game going ahead

The Times can also reveal that at least one Premier League match over the past fortnight, Burnley v Watford, was called off two hours before the scheduled kick-off last Wednesday specifically because some unvaccinated players had to isolate.

Players who have not been double-jabbed must isolate for ten days after coming into contact with a positive case, instead of just taking a test, and it is understood that situation affected several Watford players, which led to the game at Turf Moor being postponed at such short notice that most Watford fans had already completed the 200-mile journey to Lancashire. Watford declined to comment.
Wasn’t that the 15th so they’d be ok for the 26th?

Back
Top Bottom