Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Chris Nicholl.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was sad to hear that Chris Nicholl has passed away. Best known for his time at Aston Villa and Southampton, Chris was an old school centre half. Hard as nails, but very fair. He also played 40 games for Northern Ireland. In his playing days, Chris was one of the best centre half’s in the league. He gave no quarter and asked for none. A tremendous player as well as being a gentle giant off the pitch.

R.I.P. Chris Nicholl

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RIP Chris.

Not sure how he would have got on nowadays with VAR but good hard defender.
Remember him scoring 4 goals in a game 2 for Villa and 2 own goals with the score ending
2 - 2

I think I heard he is the one of an elite group of players to score four goals in a game, two in the right end and two own goals.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember watching some 42 years ago this coming June that magnificent victory for Northern Ireland by a goal to nil over Spain in the Group stage that meant the Irish made it through to the second stage. Chris Nicholl was utterly outstanding, winning every challenge and did so in a fair manner with the referee having already red carded Mal Donaghy for a trivial foul.

Like @Spitfire I recall that shot from something like 40 yards out for Villa v Everton in the League Cup replay. Pretty sure that final had three games before Villa were victorious.

It is a sad fact of life, that when from time to time each time I open up one of my football annuals or sticker collection albums from the seventies / early eighties another couple of players have left us.

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Scored a great long range goal in one of the 1977 League cup final replays against Everton.
RIP
That was special, especially that whilst he was one of the best headers of the ball you will ever see, as he wasn't known to have skills with his feet - that goal was a one off.

Back
Top Bottom