Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Chelsea verdict

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The fluidity between the attacking three is such a joy. This team isn't going to score much if the opposition is set and can match up (no 9). So the way wolves attack is to keep going back to "notch the arrow" and let the opposition press up to go again. Then let fly with different configurations of who is where and where the ball will go. Rinse, repeat. Don't be afraid of losing the ball. None of this careful careful crap. Just go.

Love it.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A little disappointed we didn't get six or seven today. Chelsea couldn't cope with our pace and fluidity - or energy - there were five and six piling into the box at times.

Still prone to switching off at the back, which GON was livid with for their second.

Overall, we are better than Chelsea for one tenth the cost. Gary O'Neil is a much better coach and manager than even we give him credit for.

Watch Chelsea try and pinch him if they can't get Brighton's manager in the summer.

Performance 9/10
MOTM Cunha

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gutted I had to settle for listening to it on the radio but what a ****ing performance. Sounds like we ripped them apart!

To go and do that a few days after that very difficult mental and physical battle against United just shows what kind of team we have got ourselves.

Please let us keep them all for another season! Imagine a few smart additions to this squad in the summer!

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's the little things. My missus once taught in a posh school in which the headmaster was not only an arrogant narcissistic *****, but a big Chelsea fan who constantly patronised us for supporting 'little ole Wolves'. How do you like your eggs boiled Kevin?!

Last edited:

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn't expecting that. Would have settled for a draw before the game. Helps to lessen the disappointment after the Man Utd game. What GON is achieving is nothing short of miraculous considering the early season expectations. Just hope we can keep it going for the rest of the season without running out of steam. Oh and a trip to Wembley would be a welcome bonus.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He's certainly won the players all around, guess it does help he's a former player himself so knows how to make a dressing room work.
He's obviously a very high EQ guy. You also look at whom he played for...for instance, Harry Redknapp. There was a reason that guy won games and it wasn't tactical acumen (which I firmly believe Gary also has).

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Shows great resilience and mentality to put in that kind of performance away at a side like Chelsea (albeit they are underpants this season), after a sapping loss on thursday, and going a goal down. brilliant stuff

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To think how much money Lopetegui wanted to produce a team that probably would have been as dull as dishwater.

We are living in happy days . The momentum could take us on a trip to Europe . And the biggest surprise we are becoming darlings of the media :) !

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's certainly won the players all around, guess it does help he's a former player himself so knows how to make a dressing room work.
Something around that Man City game changed everything - seems like more than just the win.

While I don't think he's a tactical genius, I do like how GON has given the players freedom to express themselves. When Bournemouth described him as lucky because he relied on the good form of one player, looking back you can see now that perhaps what he actually does is frees players up.

We're not the rigid team of old which is why our defending is a bit everywhere at times, including today, but the players pop up all over the place and we can actually score goals.

Much rather lose 4-3 as we did on Thursday and win today than the turgid 2 years we've had to endure. Players who are enjoying their football again - and GOALS!

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Great mental fortitude to get our heads back up after conceding such a late goal only three days ago. Thought we started well but lacked a bit of conviction with our shooting and final ball. It was clear from the first minute that Chelsea were going to faff around at the back with the ball and if we pressed them it would create chances for us. They thought they could play around us and impose themselves on us at Stamford Bridge, but they aren't the Chelsea of a few years back and we aren't the timid Wolves of old. We have fast and technically brilliant players who can compete with the best.

After our equaliser we seemed to believe in ourselves more and the game plan and attacked with more conviction and belief. In all honesty we should have won by more, missed some really great chances, but still scored 4. What a transformation this season has been for our attacking play and it really seemed to have clicked in the last few weeks. GON has said all along that once the players understand the system more and the more time we have to train and implement, the better we will get. I wasn't really sure how much we could improve but he was right. At times we look sublime.

All the players seem to enjoy playing with each other, have strong bonds and seem to have bought into GON and what he is doing. I think we could lose every game to the end of this season and still stay up. We are safe! I wondered if GON would ever give a post match fist pump because he seems quite serious and shy so I loved that he waited until the right time to do it, at Albion. Who can argue that a 4-2 win away at Chelsea is also a fist pump occasion and I loved to see him doing it at the end of the game today. He is very much giving me Mike McDaniels vibes (Head Coach of the Miami Dolphins). Studious, nerdy, hard working and dedicated but with a brilliant tactical mind.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My missus once taught in a posh school in which the headmaster was not only an arrogant narcissistic creep, but a big Chelsea fan who constantly patronised us for supporting 'little ole Wolves'. How do you like your eggs boiled Kevin?!
With (Goodbye, Mr) chips?

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To think how much money Lopetegui wanted to produce a team that probably would have been as dull as dishwater.

We are living in happy days . The momentum could take us on a trip to Europe . And the biggest surprise we are becoming darlings of the media :) !
Lopetugui and most on here were way too down on the team. We were always a perfectly decent mid-table side who had been horrifically managed by Lage/Sellars, and where our squad needed the hefty rebalance of the last 12 months.

Lop's an absolute tool for leaving us like he did, regardless of what Fosun or Shi may have lied about.

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A real team performance, the pace we had with cunha, neto and ait nouri was unreal as we ripped into Chelsea. Having Gomes alongside Lamina in the middle makes us solid in attack and defence. Semedo has come good while kilman, totti and Dawson made it a steady afternoon for Sa.
GON and the backroom did a magnificent job to get the lads fired up and outclass the multi millionaires.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great mental fortitude to get our heads back up after conceding such a late goal only three days ago. Thought we started well but lacked a bit of conviction with our shooting and final ball. It was clear from the first minute that Chelsea were going to faff around at the back with the ball and if we pressed them it would create chances for us. They thought they could play around us and impose themselves on us at Stamford Bridge, but they aren't the Chelsea of a few years back and we aren't the timid Wolves of old. We have fast and technically brilliant players who can compete with the best.

After our equaliser we seemed to believe in ourselves more and the game plan and attacked with more conviction and belief. In all honesty we should have won by more, missed some really great chances, but still scored 4. What a transformation this season has been for our attacking play and it really seemed to have clicked in the last few weeks. GON has said all along that once the players understand the system more and the more time we have to train and implement, the better we will get. I wasn't really sure how much we could improve but he was right. At times we look sublime.

All the players seem to enjoy playing with each other, have strong bonds and seem to have bought into GON and what he is doing. I think we could lose every game to the end of this season and still stay up. We are safe! I wondered if GON would ever give a post match fist pump because he seems quite serious and shy so I loved that he waited until the right time to do it, at Albion. Who can argue that a 4-2 win away at Chelsea is also a fist pump occasion and I loved to see him doing it at the end of the game today. He is very much giving me Mike McDaniels vibes (Head Coach of the Miami Dolphins). Studious, nerdy, hard working and dedicated but with a brilliant tactical mind.
I don't think the Fins comparison is fair, as they flop on the big occasion!

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Something around that Man City game changed everything - seems like more than just the win.

While I don't think he's a tactical genius, I do like how GON has given the players freedom to express themselves. When Bournemouth described him as lucky because he relied on the good form of one player, looking back you can see now that perhaps what he actually does is frees players up.

We're not the rigid team of old which is why our defending is a bit everywhere at times, including today, but the players pop up all over the place and we can actually score goals.

Much rather lose 4-3 as we did on Thursday and win today than the turgid 2 years we've had to endure. Players who are enjoying their football again - and GOALS!
Absolutely agree to be fair, almost like the light bulb moment for the players where they started to get into what he was trying to do.

But yeah, **** me, we are entertaining!

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I don't think the Fins comparison is fair, as they flop on the big occasion!
Not comparing us with the Fins (and would never want to!), but the coach gives me GON vibes in terms of his character.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When you have talented players who want to play for your club and give their all, then the only way is UTFW! Immense today. From the spot on starting XI to the reaction of our old gold (I mean red - yuk) heroes going a goal down, incidentally scored by possibly the pig ugliest player in the English football! Special mentions to Gomes (welcome back Pitbull), RAN and Neto. However, one man was head and shoulders above the rest. Take bow Matheus Cunha. What a player and he's ours! Three goals against Chelsea! Gary O'Neil's barmy army!

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last time we did the league double over Chelsea was 74/75...
That season I remember for going out to Porto on away goals, was it, in the first round of UEFA Cup. We were decent back then. We were more than decent today.

Back
Top Bottom