Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Chelsea Verdict

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sarabia for me is a bit like Dendonker - not too sure what he does or his value to the side. Lightweight and goes missing. Don't see him being a part of next season tbh.
Be fair.. he’s made 3 and scored 1 of our last 6 goals at Molineux. He can go completely unnoticed for large spells, but has the quality to make a vital contribution when it matters.. which often feels the opposite to our other forwards. I think 4 goal contributions in 4 home games shows his value to the side.

Dendonker just hovered around the middle of the park like a Hamster.

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
Strange club this Wolverhampton Wanderers.
When the big clubs roll into town, we somehow grow bigger balls and scrap and fight for the whole game.
Then again when the enfants terribles are here, we mainly just plod along without putting a shift in.

Obviously it gives us more pleasure to get three points off the Chelsea/Spurs/Manchester City et all, but my god it would be nice to get some better results off these lesser lots every now and then too?

...and I do know we have to count ourselves among the better half of those lesser teams.

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
The 3 points were very welcome indeed. It was a poor game quality wise for the standard we play at. Both sides making basic errors that made it an exciting game to watch.

We need to get better at keeping the ball. The last month or so we have been our own worst enemy a lot of chances against us come from our sloppy play.

The illness that has gone through the camp seems to have affected a fair few so I will not be too harsh.

Gomes, Lemina class. Semedo another good game. Hwang seems to have fallen off a cliff performance wise lately which is worrying though. Kilman again losing his man resulting in a goal, if we get offered 35 mil again I would snap their hands off.

Positive though, thought both Bueno's looked better when they came on.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were Chelsea’s best attacking threat!

Still think Sa could’ve come and taken that cross for their goal, he did it twice after, he knew he’d dropped a *******, great save from Sterling though. But the kick to a free Hwang!

Lemina and Gomes were immense, Semedo and Ait Nouri very good, Toti and Dawson good, the rest struggled

King Henry VIII

Groupie
Reaction score
Said earlier in the season that he has quickly becoming my favourite player. The amount of ground he covers and tackles he puts in is unreal.

He made more successful tackles than anyone else on the pitch today and didn't commit one foul, in a game where the ref was pretty card happy.

He will be a superstar in the next few years.
I love the fact he still celebrates his own tackles.

There was a great tackle he made deep in the second half where he bombed over to stop a break down our left hand side and he was fist pumping before he even started getting back on his feet.

Last edited:

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bit of a bitsa performance but credit to the boys and GON for making a gameplan and sticking to it. Thought tactically, despite their chances and possession we just outsmarted them in the end. Not sure we can really class Chelsea though as one of the big six anymore.

Hopefully now, we stop tinkering with this formation. GON needs to realise this is what works and stop trying to be too clever with things. 3 at the back makes us competitive. 4 at the back makes us vulnerable.

top fox wolf

Reaction score
Bit of a bitsa performance but credit to the boys and GON for making a gameplan and sticking to it. Thought tactically, despite their chances and possession we just outsmarted them in the end. Not sure we can really class Chelsea though as one of the big six anymore.

Hopefully now, we stop tinkering with this formation. GON needs to realise this is what works and stop trying to be too clever with things. 3 at the back makes us competitive. 4 at the back makes us vulnerable.
Think we have a young manager who is leaning on the job and he will make mistakes like Last week against West ham .but I do think he has something about him he still hasn't his own players think the summer you will see a much stronger squad with Players being sold loaned out .just to say this result is for you JONZY 54 .Will miss our weekly discussing about our wonderful club and of course your wicked sense of humour go fly with the golden angels John my good friend till we met again. X

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One thing I don't understand is people saying we have a limited team. Our first 11 is a solid midtable side. It's the bench where GON won't give players a chance for whatever reason - they obviously don't suit him.

Bournemouth said GON was a lucky manager. Well he has obvious faults, especially tactically, but something he does seem to do well is try and free players up a bit, perhaps why we see neto, hwang, ran etc showing individual skills more. Even semedo has been more free. He did similar at bournemouth - ride your luck and rely on individuals. Whenever he tries to be clever, we're a shambles. Keep it simple, we stay in games.

January will be interesting.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sloppy first half and should have been two down at HT with Chelsea wasting 'big chances'. Second half, we were better and scored from the first decent corner that Sarabia delivered. Doc made it comfortable in injury time! But no, Wolves don't do comfortable with Chelsea pulling a goal back to make it nervy, but we held on.
Lemina was immense, Semedo decent and after HT, I thought Gomes improved.
Hope the injury to Dawson isn't as bad as it looked, but S Bueno looked assured as Chelsea looked for something from the game. Sa made some good saves, but that ball to Hwang when he was alone on the halfway line was a shocker as was the ball to Gomes that nearly resulted in Sterling scoring.
All-in-all, a welcome three points to set us up nicely for the Christmas/New Year period.

Teddy Ruxpin

Groupie
Reaction score
Great result, and as many on here will no doubt agree beating Chelsea will always be a big result despite where they find themselves in the table these days

We weren't great though, it could have easily been Chelsea finding themselves in front, we were cut up too easy at times, thank god Chelsea are gash in front of goal.

A terrible date for a fixture, but a nice early Xmas present non the less, we are looked like we are a lower half team with some exciting players mixed in with some questionable ones, but at least we didn't spend a billion pounds on them.

Merry Xmas GON, you have far exceeded my expectations and for that I am thankful keep it up please

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t believe GON used the excuse of players illness for us only winning 2-1.

Also an absolute disgrace that Dawson played while ill, no wonder he got injured that’s completely on GON, he wouldn’t have got injured if he hadn’t of played.

He also mentioned that he made a switch during the first half, just has to make it all about him, even when saying we and saying how proud he is of the group.

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Semedo is a strange one because on one hand he is probably the best right back we have ever had but he is terrible at crossing and his attack play never leads to anything, I think if he can’t cross then he should try other things. So annoying when his crosses go straight to the keeper.

stevev53

Reaction score

Also an absolute disgrace that Dawson played while ill, no wonder he got injured that’s completely on GON, he wouldn’t have got injured if he hadn’t of played.

He also mentioned that he made a switch during the first half, just has to make it all about him, even when saying we and saying how proud he is of the group.
Well you’ve woken up happy on Xmas day . Didn’t you get a present from Gary !

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo is a strange one because on one hand he is probably the best right back we have ever had but he is terrible at crossing and his attack play never leads to anything, I think if he can’t cross then he should try other things. So annoying when his crosses go straight to the keeper.
That’s because Cunha is walking somewhere outside the box

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can’t buy a team, you have to build it.
There's arguments either way but looking at Leicester they didn't invest after winning the league to maintain their level and an aging squad dropped. Villa and Newcastle invested heavily and they progressed . For me there has to be a happy medium. You don't sell your two best players at the time ( Neves and Nunes) and progress without replacing the quality. Hence why we are bobbing about in the premier League at the moment with no set direction. Yes great result yesterday but we know the next game could be similar to West Ham as we lack that extra quality in away games .

For me the next two windows will say it all for Wolves and Fosun . As little investment will mean we are less likely to progress and more likely to be relegation candidates next season than fighting for a top half spot.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But for VAR we’d be 8th on 29 points…apologies if that’s been said already :p
Oh and Merry Christmas all…
Don’t wanna be too Scrooge like but VAR has only cost us 1 point, bad refereeing calls are the big problem, bad referees on VAR the other. How Rob Jones can still be a premier league referee is baffling

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

You need to watch his interview the other day - we don’t play three or four at the back, we vary formation depending on the situation.

So when we’re attacking it tends to be three or four depending on the opposition threats, so Kilman, Dawson and Toti, then one of Semedo, ait Nouri or Lemina, depending on who we’re worried about on the transition. When we’re defending it can be four or five, again depending on the opposition’s strengths.

Thats why Ait Nouri is so important for us tactically as he can play as a full back, a wing back, left mid or left wing dependent on the situation.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

We have a winner of stupidest post of Christmas already!

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score

Think you’ve caught a few in your fishing net QB!

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be fair.. he’s made 3 and scored 1 of our last 6 goals at Molineux. He can go completely unnoticed for large spells, but has the quality to make a vital contribution when it matters.. which often feels the opposite to our other forwards. I think 4 goal contributions in 4 home games shows his value to the side.

Dendonker just hovered around the middle of the park like a Hamster.
Sarabia is a much more skilled player than Dendonker, he has a super left foot from moving or dead ball situation.

Plovdiv Wolf

Reaction score
Chelsea first 20 of game

We real come into things after, step it up gear Lemina what player Sarabia too.

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Even when Doherty scored in the 90+3 min I thought chelsea could still win it, that’s how much faith I have in the team. There was another 8-9mins left and they looked dangerous on the attack.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Even when Doherty scored in the 90+3 min I thought chelsea could still win it, that’s how much faith I have in the team. There was another 8-9mins left and they looked dangerous on the attack.
I thought it would be typical Wolves if they (Chelsea) scored another one to level the score but I didn’t think they would get two to win it. They are just not prolific in front of goal enough to have worried about it.
Even their goal was gifted to them by us switching off and was preventable.

Back
Top Bottom