Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Chelsea (A) Pre-Match Thread!

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
IMG_5895.jpegIT’S MAAAAAAATCHDAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!

Here we go again. I’m still not entirely sure how I’m meant to feel about Thursday, to be honest. We weren’t very good, so there’s frustration, pride in the way we stuck in and actually got the game back level, then more pain at losing it so late on. But whatever, it’s gone now, we must always look forwards.

Today is an interesting game. A bit like Man Utd, Chelsea are a bit of a punchbag for football fans at the minute, an easy target with all their big spending and little rewards. But we know if they’re on it they can give anyone a real tough time. I feel like there’s an opportunity for us but we need to be much better.

The squad is working well at the minute and I do think O’Neil will make changes today. The obvious ones are Ait-Nouri, Gomes and Sarabia. Nothing against Doc, Doyle or Bellegarde but we just looked a better side when those three came on. I am also wondering if it’s time that Santi Bueno had a go in the team.

Sa
Kilman Dawson Toti
Semedo Gomes Lemina Ait-Nouri
Sarabia
Cunha Neto​

Bentley, Bueno, Bueno, Doherty, Doyle, Griffiths, Bellegarde, Chirewa, Fraser

We’re in that strange mid-table position where depending on results, our season could fizzle off pretty quickly. By the end of this month we could be in the quarter final of the FA Cup and pushing for Europe, or we could be out the cup and just playing out the season in mid table.

I think todays game kinda depends on which Chelsea turns up. They have been good at home of late but so had we until Thursday. I’m backing us to get a hard earned draw to bring back to the Midlands.

Safe travels to everyone going today, especially anyone using what’s left of the rail network.

Whether you’re following from London, across the Black Country or across the world, enjoy the game and let’s get those three points lads!

COYW!

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we sit back at the start like we did on Thursday and give them the ball and allow them to build up a head of steam, and grow their confidence, we’ll meet the same fate !!

Not hopeful, that killer goal from Manure might just have knocked the stuffing out of us.

Hope I’m wrong, COYW

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Weirdly, in the moment, defeat Thursday didn’t feel too bad. Yet as the times passed, and have seen the goals back, feel worse and worse.

Hopefully today banishes that memory and we can get a positive result. Not fancying us though if I’m being honest.

Draw would be a decent result, as someone mentioned, never seem to do well here. Prove me wrong lads!

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t particularly know why, (probably years of getting nothing much) but this is one of two fixtures that I never look forward to. The trip to the Emirates being the other. Never feel confident of returning with anything.
Same. Our record at Chelsea is dreadful

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Winable...but not if Kilman and Sa play like they did Thursday

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very tough game despite the billion pound team’s struggles this season. With our performances away generally being poor I am expecting a defeat but hoping we can grab a point. COYW.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Away game in London (never good), at a ground where we struggle anyway, three days after a morale and energy sapping defeat, at a time of year when we have a habit of faltering, with a squad that wasn't freshened up in the transfer window so key players running on fumes.

If we get anything out of this then the players and manager deserve the utmost respect.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Same. Our record at Chelsea is dreadful
I always wonder why these sort of stats hold up for years and years. Not just us, other teams as well. You quite often hear a commentator say, “they haven’t won here for 30 years” or similar.

Over that length of time, you would have several managers, different generations of players, etc. Yet, a particular football club, can never get a result, at a particular ground. Why is that?

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thursday has been eating away at me for some reason which is unusual as normally I bury a defeat pretty smartish.
Anyway, today's another day.
I shall visit the Churchill Arms in Notting Hill then head down to the Angelsea in South Kensington for some pre-match fayre. After that, who knows what will be served up.
In seven days we've had the agony and the ecstasy. What does today hold i wonder.......

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Making my way down to tick off my 26th ground of the 92, which will be 27 when Chesterfield return to the EFL next season.

Knowing our last win at Stamford Bridge was on March 24th 1979, as well as the way we won on Christmas Eve and how inconsistent they have been under Poch, I think we have a good chance of ending the long near 45 year wait.

However, I suspect energy levels and morale will be a bit lower than usual after Thursday nights suckerpunch.

It will be interesting to see how many changes Gary makes and I really hope we are defensively much stronger than 3 days ago.

Hope all enjoy the game and a win will keep us in the mix for nicking Europe!

Up The Wolves.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Away game in London (never good), at a ground where we struggle anyway, three days after a morale and energy sapping defeat, at a time of year when we have a habit of faltering, with a squad that wasn't freshened up in the transfer window so key players running on fumes.

If we get anything out of this then the players and manager deserve the utmost respect.
I do wonder what Cunha has got left in the tank. Two games in seven days where he's looked totally cream crackered at the end after giving all to the cause

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Defend like an U5's girls' team and we'll get what we got against Yernited. We must be more solid while still carrying a threat. RAN must come in for Doc and Sarabia for Bellegarde. Gomes would help us dominate the middle with Lemina, but Doyle carries a more creative threat, so not sure whether to change this position or not.
Chelsea can be very good, but can be downright crap, so there is a chance, but we must be better than the last game!

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do wonder what Cunha has got left in the tank. Two games in seven days where he's looked totally cream crackered at the end after giving all to the cause
He's a professional footballer playing in the best league in the world with access to the best nutritionists, physios and sports' fitness and conditioning coaches. He should be bloody champing at the bit to play and be prepared to run himself into the ground for the cause.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if Lemina is rested instead of Doyle.

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mario struggled first half on Thursday, due to us being over run on the break, but I thought he looked better as the game went on.
Never expect anything at Chelsea but we have 3 draws from the last 5 league visits.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Lemina’s role changes a bit depending on who he’s playing with.
We probably need Gomes plus one of the other two.
Whoever starts on the bench deserves to at least come on with plenty of time left, 60 mins ish.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I do think there is a player in J-RB but like Boubacar, he’s a bit raw and his positional play and defensive duties need some work.

I’ve never been a fan of playing right footed players at left back/wingback or vice versa so definitely not keen on Doc playing on the left.

I would definitely give your formation a try, @JohnB, especially away from home against the better teams.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's a professional footballer playing in the best league in the world with access to the best nutritionists, physios and sports' fitness and conditioning coaches. He should be bloody champing at the bit to play and be prepared to run himself into the ground for the cause.
He will be, but that doesn't mean he's able to.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always wonder why these sort of stats hold up for years and years. Not just us, other teams as well. You quite often hear a commentator say, “they haven’t won here for 30 years” or similar.

Over that length of time, you would have several managers, different generations of players, etc. Yet, a particular football club, can never get a result, at a particular ground. Why is that?
Bit like our appalling record against Brighton. Some kinda legacy hoodoo remains

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately can't watch the game today but I will be constantly refreshing my phone! COYW! Would love to win this but I'm still seeing 2-2 at best.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder if time is catching up with Dawson. I'd be very tempted to start Bueno today.
Hopefully that means he's MotM today!
Maybe.
I think one slight issue is we spend a lot of time sat in a back 4 shape, and that has Dawson and Killman on the wrong sides.
But I’m not sure Bueno or Dawson have enough pace to play the right side when in goes into a back 3….

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could we play Doyle, Gomes and Lemina with width from WBs?

Sa
Kilman Dawson Toti
Semedo Lemina Doyle Gomes RAN
Neto Cunha
Must admit thats the team i would go with for this game
Just 3 days since we last played and we looked out on our feet after that one
We will sit back and hope to hit on the break no matter what ,so stack the midfield and protect that brittle back line
Draw would be fine but fear another defeat as we never play well there

Dorbelflunk

Reaction score
Fearing a mini slump after the midweek game and lacklustre start last weekend. Please prove me wrong.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thursday has been eating away at me for some reason which is unusual as normally I bury a defeat pretty smartish.
Anyway, today's another day.
I shall visit the Churchill Arms in Notting Hill then head down to the Angelsea in South Kensington for some pre-match fayre. After that, who knows what will be served up.
In seven days we've had the agony and the ecstasy. What does today hold i wonder.......
Notting Hill then South Kensington. How the other half live! Sounds great. Enjoy your day. Hopefully you'll see the Wanderers win away.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some folk suggesting we drop Lemina. Completely disagree. Yes he had a dodgy first half against ManU but who didn't? Second half was more like the warrior we know. No chance we can afford to drop him and would be surprised if GON did that. Gomes in for Doyle, or even play all three, at the expense of Bellegarde, would make more sense.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some folk suggesting we drop Lemina. Completely disagree. Yes he had a dodgy first half against ManU but who didn't? Second half was more like the warrior we know. No chance we can afford to drop him and would be surprised if GON did that. Gomes in for Doyle, or even play all three, at the expense of Bellegarde, would make more sense.
First half we was outclassed. Lemina key cog for us. He will be back to his best soon

Nivada

Reaction score
Security alert at stamford bridge. Possible bomb scare

Back
Top Bottom