Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Chasing OAP's-I don't get it

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the middle of an incredible mess this week there are now further murmurings that we are after certain players......but the majority of 'targets' are past it as far as I can see.

Cresswell WAS a good player for West Ham but he turns 34 in 4 months time. Schmeichel supposedly....36.....Michael Antonio....33 WAS a decent centre forward for West Ham. I'm all for adding experience to a squad but offering players of this age lucrative two year contracts which is what they will expect seems barmy to me at a time when money is supposedly so short. We have plenty of experience already with the likes of Sa, Semedo, Doc, Dawson, Lemina for starters. They have been there and seen it all. Cresswell in particular seems nonsensical. We have two excellent young left backs in Ait-Nouri and Bueno- don't rock the boat and let them fight it out. Or are the club planning to sell Ait-Nouri for instance? It wouldnt surprise me at all in the current climate of utter incompetence.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the middle of an incredible mess this week there are now further murmurings that we are after certain players......but the majority of 'targets' are past it as far as I can see.

Cresswell WAS a good player for West Ham but he turns 34 in 4 months time. Schmeichel supposedly....36.....Michael Antonio....33 WAS a decent centre forward for West Ham. I'm all for adding experience to a squad but offering players of this age lucrative two year contracts which is what they will expect seems barmy to me at a time when money is supposedly so short. We have plenty of experience already with the likes of Sa, Semedo, Doc, Dawson, Lemina for starters. They have been there and seen it all. Cresswell in particular seems nonsensical. We have two excellent young left backs in Ait-Nouri and Bueno- don't rock the boat and let them fight it out. Or are the club planning to sell Ait-Nouri for instance? It wouldnt surprise me at all in the current climate of utter incompetence.
Depends on the target really. Dawson is a a fantastic addition but three you mentioned are past it and I wouldn’t go anywhere near them. The worry is that we’ll sell Sá,RAN and Fabio and bring in those three just to make money. Big mistake imo.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don't have a pot to **** in, so perhaps it's part of the modified "Project".

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
Short term planning? Either to get through the current financial troubles or not comit long term with a view to selling up. Who knows? If you believe Shi's open letter it's the former but if it's the latter then I wouldn't expect Shi to openly say we are up for sale as that would just result in low balling from potential buyers if they sense Fosun are desperate to sell. As I say who knows. I still wonder despite Hobbs statement if O'Neil is ultimately a stop gap appointment for either scenario but again who knows? I suspect The next 12 months are going to be eventful one way or the other until we find out.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, if you don’t need to plan for the long term, then bringing in cheap or free late career players is a tried and trusted strategy. As I suggested in another thread, I would be surprised to see Fosun still here this time next year. To me, everything I see points to preparation for a sale process later this year.

Actions speak louder than words. So if Shi says in his letter that we want to focus on our youth, but the club sells them and brings in very old players with no future resale value, then how much of the rest of that letter do you trust?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back to selling young talent early and signing geriatric British journeymen out for a last payday....

Hobbs and Shi have definitely found the Jizz playbook

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Depends on the target really. Dawson is a a fantastic addition but three you mentioned are past it and I wouldn’t go anywhere near them. The worry is that we’ll sell Sá,RAN and Fabio and bring in those three just to make money. Big mistake imo.
Or maybe if we do sell them, it’s because they want to leave.
Maybe the idea of only making money off them is totally wrong.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or maybe if we do sell them, it’s because they want to leave.
Maybe the idea of only making money off them is totally wrong.
Nothing wrong with making money off them if you’re going to replace them with equal or better players. If you’re going to replace them with over the hill weaker players then that’s an issue.

Bradstonian

Reaction score

I suspect Fosun are going nowhere and the club is cutting its cloth according to its current means. The new manager is already coming across as a good move, done speedily, which suggests that the club is on-the-ball. We will see. Older experienced players from other clubs may be stop-gap measures for a couple of seasons, but we've had those before. I'm thinking of players like Emlyn Hughes, Denis Irwin, etc...

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suspect Fosun are going nowhere and the club is cutting its cloth according to its current means. The new manager is already coming across as a good move, done speedily, which suggests that the club is on-the-ball. We will see. Older experienced players from other clubs may be stop-gap measures for a couple of seasons, but we've had those before. I'm thinking of players like Emlyn Hughes, Denis Irwin, etc...
For every successful one like that though we had 10 duffers who played at most a quarter of the games during three year contracts.

Last edited:

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I've come to expect the most bonkers decision making from Jeff and Hobbs now. If we end up getting Creswell and Antonio to replace RAN and Fabio, Molineux will get very very toxic.

Kennedy

Reaction score
The fact is no one knows the direction FOSUN want to go.

I'm guessing the policy is to be a mid table prem club on a budget untill we are sold.

This means that Cresswell etc would make sense.

It's ridiculous to think that an ambitious owner would think that signing vets at the end of their career was the future...

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In this scenario and in this particular season, with a young inexperienced manager who may not be immediately respected by all, I don't think it's the worst idea in the world to get a few decent experienced pros in and around the squad to help keep the discipline.

Not sure Antonio fits that criteria though

peter&thewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
And people wonder why Lopetegui wasn't happy

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We'll make money but then lose far, far more as we are relegated.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In this scenario and in this particular season, with a young inexperienced manager who may not be immediately respected by all, I don't think it's the worst idea in the world to get a few decent experienced pros in and around the squad to help keep the discipline.

Not sure Antonio fits that criteria though
Decent experienced pros? Possibly.

West Ham's yellow label, past their sell-by date, dross though? Hell no!

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I know Cresswell and Antonio have been rumoured on various sports websites, but I haven’t seen any mention of Schmeichel.

Anyway, I don’t think we will sign any of them. All 3 past their sell by date, who would offer us very little and just be short term mediocre stop gaps.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know Cresswell and Antonio have been rumoured on various sports websites, but I haven’t seen any mention of Schmeichel.

Anyway, I don’t think we will sign any of them. All 3 past their sell by date, who would offer us very little and just be short term mediocre stop gaps.
I think pretty much all of us agree with your last sentence.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not happy with these links to old players on their way out, apart from not being able to make any money from selling them on there is always the risk that they come for a last payday or that their legs have gone, plus it means we would be selling off some of our younger talents and probably for cheap as they haven't even developed fully with us yet

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Actually....I disagree

Obviously I don't want older players in at the cost of younger players being sold, but I think the older heads add a lot. Not just to the squad, but to the team itself.

Mentality is everything in football. I would like a few more Dawson type figures around the club

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, if you don’t need to plan for the long term, then bringing in cheap or free late career players is a tried and trusted strategy. As I suggested in another thread, I would be surprised to see Fosun still here this time next year. To me, everything I see points to preparation for a sale process later this year.

Actions speak louder than words. So if Shi says in his letter that we want to focus on our youth, but the club sells them and brings in very old players with no future resale value, then how much of the rest of that letter do you trust?
Hope you're right about the sale. The problem is of course; how do we compete in the 'toughest league in the world' with such a strategy!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Actually....I disagree

Obviously I don't want older players in at the cost of younger players being sold, but I think the older heads add a lot. Not just to the squad, but to the team itself.

Mentality is everything in football. I would like a few more Dawson type figures around the club
A leavening l would agree but at least four of the first team squad seems too many to me.

UEAwolf

Reaction score
If we're brining in Cresswell, we must be looking to sell Ait-Nouri or Bueno. For a club under financial pressure, we don't need 4 left backs.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My West Ham mate says Cresswell's legs have gone and he is more error prone now. He says they would be delighted to get anything for him and £4m or so whould be a brilliant deal for them.

I cannot believe how stupid our club has become. He is surely bound to come now on a two year contract. Currently earning £53,000 a week. Assuming that remains the level we pay him (or more) that will cost the club £2.5m a year or £5m over two years at a time when we supposedly have no money to spend- paid out on the LB position where we already are well served. Madnesss......again. 34 in three or four months time and in decline. Brilliant Wolves and don't forget to sell Ait-Nouri for £5m....

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My West Ham mate says Cresswell's legs have gone and he is more error prone now. He says they would be delighted to get anything for him and £4m or so whould be a brilliant deal for them.

I cannot believe how stupid our club has become. He is surely bound to come now on a two year contract. Currently earning £53,000 a week. Assuming that remains the level we pay him (or more) that will cost the club £2.5m a year or £5m over two years at a time when we supposedly have no money to spend- paid out on the LB position where we already are well served. Madnesss......again. 34 in three or four months time and in decline. Brilliant Wolves and don't forget to sell Ait-Nouri for £5m....
Similarly they want £7M for Antonio.... and we sold Raul for £5M.....

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We already have Dawson and Doc.

West Ham fans say that both Cresswell and Antonio's legs have gone

Schmeichel was on the downwards slope before he left Leicester.

I know quite a lot of Leicester fans and without exception they say that Leicester would not have gone down if they had kept Schmeichel. Not only for his goalkeeping, but he very vocal both on and off the pitch. They didn’t just sell a goalkeeper, but also a leader.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we sign these kinds of oldies I hope some journalist actually has the guts to ask them to explain publicly how at a time when there is no money, spending millions on fees/wages for has beens and perhaps letting go excellent young talent in exchange is a forward thinking and wise policy for a club like Wolves. If O'Neil is approving these kinds of signings then he has lost me already. Hobbs too.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There has been a lot said about Ait Nouri wanting to move, so it may be something not to blame the club for. I am all for experience, but only if that comes with ability. We had Costa last year, loads of experience but in real terms contributed **** all. We do not lack for experience either. Dawson, Doc, Lemmy, Johnny if he stays, even Semedo, Sa etc, all seasoned pros. Even younger players like Kilman, Sarabia etc. The team is hardly a creche. For me, if we do lose more players I would far rather gamble on youth with potential than fading fast but experienced. A patch up job would be another fosun **** up imo.

Back
Top Bottom