Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Charges for paying by card to be banned from 2018

Isn't the booking fee separate to the card fee? All that will happen is companies will change the wording and/or as SL said, prices will go up.

Padraig

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They'd have to put the cash price up as well to match though.

Given they're basically just stealing £1.50 for doing absolutely nothing, it'd make more sense for Wolves to just waive it.

D

Deleted member 4456

This might be a hard one for some to stomach, but the payment gateway and postage costs need to be made up somewhere. Unfortunately for those who moan about insignificant amounts of money, it'll be added to tickets. Sorry.

T

turner845

As mentioned above by 1312 the fee paid (£1.50 I think) is not a card fee and more of a booking fee which will still stand. Try going to a gig or festival and these booking fees are a lot more than £1.50.

G

GNLwolf

Bloody EU bureaucracy again...making goods and services cheaper.

No way will it be cheaper in the long run. Entire companies base their existence on these charges, and those who charge it aren't going to just write of millions of pounds of revenue. After all they still have to pay providers to process their payments.

All this does is make it murkier - at the moment we know how much companies are charging you to use your debit/ credit card. And if you think it's too high or unfair you don't buy from them. Now it will be assimilated into the overall ticket price and you'll have no idea how much you're paying.

For the EU: Bureaucracy > secondary issues

Edit: I should add that's me talking about general payments. I understand for tickets we don't really have a choice - here's hoping Wolves just write it off!

Last edited by a moderator:

Soho Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This might be a hard one for some to stomach, but the payment gateway and postage costs need to be made up somewhere. Unfortunately for those who moan about insignificant amounts of money, it'll be added to tickets. Sorry.
Patronise much? Does it cost £1.50 PER TICKET for "payment gateway and postage costs?" When you quote insignificant amounts of money I take it you're talking from personal experience and not presuming you know what is significant or insignificant to everybody who buys tickets? What about groups or families buying together? Did you actually read what you wrote before you posted? I can only presume you have some vested interest to dismiss people's concerns in such a way.

D

Deleted member 4309

What a **** post

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Today I was charged a £10 handling fee for an Emirates ticket. Handling fees will be one way around the card fee.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Patronise much? Does it cost £1.50 PER TICKET for "payment gateway and postage costs?" When you quote insignificant amounts of money I take it you're talking from personal experience and not presuming you know what is significant or insignificant to everybody who buys tickets? What about groups or families buying together? Did you actually read what you wrote before you posted? I can only presume you have some vested interest to dismiss people's concerns in such a way.
No.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No they don't, they are providing a service to enable you buy their wares. When was the last time you got charged for using a credit card in a supermarket? They have too much competition so would never do it. Football clubs (and many other ticket agencies) have got you by the balls and take advantage of the situation. Why is it that if you pay by cash you don't get charged extra yet there are charges involved in the clubs banking the cash?

W

wolvesultra

As mentioned above by 1312 the fee paid (£1.50 I think) is not a card fee and more of a booking fee which will still stand. Try going to a gig or festival and these booking fees are a lot more than £1.50.

This! Gigs and other sporting events like boxing I go to you pay 10% booking fee plus postage (often £5.95 as sent special delivery).

I'd rather they keep it as it is (after all plenty ways round it) than put it on tickets across the board

The_Blade

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The extra add ons are a ****ing scandal. Charging people to 'print at home'!

I'd rather they tackle and investigate this cartel rip off! We just have to accept this **** and it never gets challenged!

bigbluewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You don't get charged to print your own tickets. At least I didn't when I bought tickets last week.

T

turner845

I'd rather they tackle and investigate this cartel rip off! We just have to accept this **** and it never gets challenged!
?????? They don't charge people to print at home.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's great but all that will happen is that prices will go up.

Still better than having hidden little charges that only become obvious at the end of the purchasing/booking process. At least you will know straight up what the overall price is.

W

wolvesultra

Wolves don't charge if you print at home

Sorry just seen above comment yes totally agree

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Credit cards fees were in some degree introduced as an insurance policy for the card issuers. As the goods bought were covered by the consumer credit act, it gave consumers greater protection than standard rights and made the card issuers liable for faults, damage or failure of service etc. Therefore, you paid a little bit more than if you paid by cash or debit card, which gives you no extra protection whatsoever.
Admin or handling fees on the other hand...now that's where companies have your pants down!

Me Babbies

Reaction score
I agree with the fact that there is a cost involved in the service of transferring a credit card payment in to a bank someone has to provide the service so from a business point of view somewhere it has to be paid for.
What grinds my gears tho is the administration fee I paid for renewal of my season ticket which I did online (by Wolves MasterCard) where the games are automatically added to my existing ST. No postage no human interaction no printing.
BUT I suppose some IT bod still has to make sure those web pages are working and secure etc etc

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fees exist to cover costs and make money for card machine issuers like worldpay. They are a business there to make money.

Businesses provide this service to make it easier for their customers to buy things in this ever increasing electronic world.

Where it falls down is when the likes of the civic charge 10% as a booking fee! Outrageous! Wolves don't help as they should effectively charge a fee for a transaction, not per ticket as I believe was once done? Or maybe still is...

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
there is a cost to handling credit card payments, there is also a cost to handling cash, all companies have to factor in those costs into the price they charge for their goods, whether they do it by a separate charge or by making an additional charge for some payments, if they didn't cover those costs they wouldn't stay in business long. The argument for separate charges for cards is that they are only paid by those using cards and cash is usually cheaper, scrapping the charges is surely only going to spread those costs across all payments so cash price would go up and card payment come down so they meet in the middle. More of an issue is the sometimes seemingly excessive admin/handling/postage fees which are often far more that the cost of providing those services

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they changed it to a handling cost of £1 where postage is needed then I dont think people would complain.
I never use my card in there, even if it means going to ASDA to get money out.
Obviously people who buy online dont have this option and that isnt fair.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes you do! I paid the £1.50 when I had my ticket emailed to me a couple of days ago

that doesn't sound right, print at home should have no additional charge, didn't on the last ones I bought (Leicester friendly)

just checked website and definitely states no fee for print at home so if you got charged for that it's a mistake
unless there's any difference if you ring ticket office then get ticket emailed rather than but online though site??

Last edited:

MobNet Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Someone hit the nail on the head above: it is a misconception that cash is free for a business to handle. It's not. In fact, with card and contactless payments now outnumbering cash, it simply doesn't make sense to single out card payments for additional fees.

Fine, some businesses may wrap up their payment gateway costs into the up front price, but for me that's a positive. It seems bizarre to separately charge for card payments. Why not separately charge for "premises" costs, or "staff" costs, or "website maintenance" costs?

Know your overall cost-base and price accordingly. Simple.

R

reanswolf

But that actually makes sense. Calculate the cost of what you are selling and charge it in one single lump sum. That's what people want.
Booking charges/credit card fees are horrible unnecessary things invented by *******s.
People can still choose whether they are getting value for money, if they inflate the overall cost.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How come they charge ya £1-50 per ticket at the ticket office using a card.And nothing for cash.What are they doing different when they ay posting them.? When ya can use said card in shops with no fee.

D

Deleted member 6526

I have no idea, but why not walk over to the Asda, use the cash point and save the money earned to buy a gazillion tins of smart price beans.

W

wolvesultra

How come they charge ya £1-50 per ticket at the ticket office using a card.And nothing for cash.What are they doing different when they ay posting them.? When ya can use said card in shops with no fee.

That's the one change they've made isn't it they no longer do/will. That's how I read it.

U

Ulfhednar

They'd have to put the cash price up as well to match though.

Given they're basically just stealing £1.50 for doing absolutely nothing, it'd make more sense for Wolves to just waive it.

The Credit Card Company issues the card, the system it works through is owned by Visa or MasterCard, the terminals are provided by and the transaction takes place through the merchants bank. Visa or MasterCard get maybe 1%, the card issuer gets 0.5%, the merchants bank gets 0.5%, so the merchant is only credited with 98% of the transaction value. Or something like that, I used to work for a credit card bank & was educated in it all and had to explain it to customers but it was ages ago.

They justify it on the basis the merchant does so much more business by being able to accept credit cards it makes them more than it costs them. But this is how MasterCard and Visa can afford to sponsor so much stuff & do so much advertising (they have zero revenue from debt interest as they're not the ones lending, but the volume of money that goes through cards is immense). I don't know how it works with Debit cards (Visa Delta etc), they may ride the system free or with fewer fees to the merchant.

Back
Top Bottom