Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Championship....

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
....I know its nothing really to do with us (as of yet anyway) but is anyone looking forward to watching the Southampton - Reading game?

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Two of the better footballing sides in that division...two of the brightest managers in the game...what's not to look forward to?

GAWAZZ

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
....I know its nothing really to do with us (as of yet anyway) but is anyone looking forward to watching the Southampton - Reading game?

So we can watch 2 teams in the division above us next year?

GAWAZZ

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Two of the better footballing sides in that division...two of the brightest managers in the game...what's not to look forward to?

because it will show how bad we have become and what we will be missing next season? (Yes I am on a downer)

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
because it will show how bad we have become and what we will be missing next season? (Yes I am on a downer)

clearly lol but I'm not going to miss out on POTENTIALLY (the game could be a right dud) a good game of football because Wolves are dire.

We've been dire apart from a handful of games this season but that shouldn't mean we should miss out on other potentially good games of football?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, I'll be watching the Allman brothers on BBC 4 - now that's what I call entertainment!

B

bridgnorthwolf

This should be an eye-opener for a few of the doubters. I mean, come on... Here are the Championship's top two teams and look at the line-ups. Hardly awe-inspiring. There are several players on show that Wolves have looked at signing and decided they weren't good enough. Last summer I said Danny Fox wouldn't be a bad signing at left back and was shot down and told he was $$$$ and the thought we should sign him was $$$$.

They're only where they are thanks to their management and coaching.

Get a seriously good, modern manager in and retain/rebuild a decent squad and we should be hot favourites (depending possibly on the state of other relegated teams and West Ham if they're still down there, but they should be no threat if we do get the right man.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This should be an eye-opener for a few of the doubters. I mean, come on... Here are the Championship's top two teams and look at the line-ups. Hardly awe-inspiring. There are several players on show that Wolves have looked at signing and decided they weren't good enough. Last summer I said Danny Fox wouldn't be a bad signing at left back and was shot down and told he was $$$$ and the thought we should sign him was $$$$.

Get a seriously good, modern manager in and retain/rebuild a decent squad and we should be hot favourites (depending possibly on the state of other relegated teams and West Ham if they're still down there, but they should be no threat if we do get the right man.

You've got a point.

Have to say though Adam Lallana looks class.

wolvesandbooze

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Exactly but will we ever be able to say that, I'm scared we won't...not unless Morgan gets his $$$$ into gear, if he ever does.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
The one thing it is proving to me is that if we keep Fletcher, he will score loads in that division!

B

bridgnorthwolf

The one thing it is proving to me is that if we keep Fletcher, he will score loads in that division!

He would, definitely! But if he had to go we'd be able to spend no more than half his transfer fee signing someone else who could also score loads. Ie/ Jordan Rhodes

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good on Reading.

This is why I worry for next season though.

On paper, West Ham have the best squad in the league by a mile. Leicester aren't far behind.

But Reading have what we had in 08/09 - momentum, something I can't see us having too much of next year.

I fear that we'll be more in the mould of West Ham.

O.W.E.I

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why would I want to watch second division football?

Jeff and Lilly Savage seem to think that lots of people do.

They are very, very wrong.

B

bridgnorthwolf

Good on Reading.

This is why I worry for next season though.

On paper, West Ham have the best squad in the league by a mile. Leicester aren't far behind.

But Reading have what we had in 08/09 - momentum, something I can't see us having too much of next year.

I fear that we'll be more in the mould of West Ham.

Leicester are $$$$! They're more like a mid-90's Wolves with a few players you think are better they are just thrown together.

West Ham SHOULD be champions comfortably, but their squad lacks balance, is too old, too many plodders on too much money and an old-fashioned manager getting out-thought.

Like I say, as long as we keep a good core of the squad, replace any that move on WELL and get the RIGHT manager in we should be in line for an immediate return.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading did start slow this season and only really got going after Christmas ,triggered by Mcdermott`s inspired signing of Roberts, than won about 7 - 8 in a row.
Looking at Reading`s team though it`s difficult to assess how they will do in the Prem they remind me of Norwich the most.

They remind me of Norwich

M

Mugwump

We have the players in our club to be finishing a lot higher than we are currently. Our problem is we are ( and have been for the last 2 seasons ) incredibly poor tactically and do the basics badly. Its poor organistion, coaching and management that has put us where we are. A good manager with our squad ( if we hold the majority of it together ) will have an excellent platform for next season.

M

Mugwump

You were banging on about how good Nicky Maynard was yet he has only managed 2 goals in about 10 games for west ham whilst his 500k partner in crime Vaz Te has scored 7 in about the same amount of games. Not bad considering Maynard was about 2 million more expensive. You also got it very, very wrong about David Davis. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SourCream&OnionUtd

Reading did start slow this season and only really got going after Christmas ,triggered by Mcdermott`s inspired signing of Roberts, than won about 7 - 8 in a row.
Looking at Reading`s team though it`s difficult to assess how they will do in the Prem they remind me of Norwich the most.

They remind me of Norwich

Reading were strong last season after the New Year under McDermott though, weren't they? He seems to get them going at the right time.

B

bridgnorthwolf

You were banging on about how good Nicky Maynard was yet he has only managed 2 goals in about 10 games for west ham whilst his 500k partner in crime Vaz Te has scored 7 in about the same amount of games. Not bad considering Maynard was about 2 million more expensive. You also got it very, very wrong about David Davis. :rolleyes:

You can only score goals if you're on the pitch. Considering the amount of time he's spent in the pitch, Maynard's goal return has been ok at worst.

Vaz Te is a very good player and was rattling the goals in for a very poor Barnsley team before moving to West Ham. As I pointed out at the time, Vaz Te or Maynard would have been good signings for us in January as they are both something we lack, which is an impact striker with pace to bring off the bench to exploit tired defences. Anyone who can't see that we are badly missing that, especially with Hammill out on loan is, quite frankly, an idiot.

And I'm sure Barnsley didn't pay West Ham to to take Vaz Te off their hands, so can't see how Maynard cost that much more...

As for Davis, it's very early to say and his off the pitch attitude has to improve vastly before I really become a fan of his, but the fact that I've said he'd be ahead of Henry in my plans for a new look midfield in the Championship means that yes, I may have made a bad call there, but we'll see.

Anyway, none of that has any bearing on the fact that Reading and Southampton are showing the Championship how to play football with cheaply-assembled squads full of nobodies and lower league journeymen, but top class coaching...

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched the game in the Nags Head in Reading last night. Pub was packed and loads of singing. Fair play to them they snuffed out Saints brilliantly and stopped them playing. Le Fondre looks a real fox in the box and he cost nowt from Rotherham.

J

johnybig32

Thats why MM would have been useful to have kept here.

SOme of the bargains he picked up to get us into the Prem were brilliant.

M

Mugwump

You can only score goals if you're on the pitch. Considering the amount of time he's spent in the pitch, Maynard's goal return has been ok at worst.

Vaz Te is a very good player and was rattling the goals in for a very poor Barnsley team before moving to West Ham. As I pointed out at the time, Vaz Te or Maynard would have been good signings for us in January as they are both something we lack, which is an impact striker with pace to bring off the bench to exploit tired defences. Anyone who can't see that we are badly missing that, especially with Hammill out on loan is, quite frankly, an idiot.

And I'm sure Barnsley didn't pay West Ham to to take Vaz Te off their hands, so can't see how Maynard cost that much more...

As for Davis, it's very early to say and his off the pitch attitude has to improve vastly before I really become a fan of his, but the fact that I've said he'd be ahead of Henry in my plans for a new look midfield in the Championship means that yes, I may have made a bad call there, but we'll see.

Anyway, none of that has any bearing on the fact that Reading and Southampton are showing the Championship how to play football with cheaply-assembled squads full of nobodies and lower league journeymen, but top class coaching...

According to my West ham supporting mate, Maynard has been awful. West Ham from memory paid around 2.5 million for Maynard and 500k for Vaz Te. Maynard ( from the information i have from my mate ) started about 7 games in a row and was pretty rubbish by all accounts so you have your facts wrong that he hasnt been on the pitch that much. He has failed as an impact sub and as a starting player in one of the better sides in that division so i still really doubt that Maynard would have made i blind bit of difference in our side. Vaz Te is also a lot more physical than Maynard so he would probably have been a better option for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bridgnorthwolf

He's started 7 games total for them since he's signed. I don't think 2 goals in 7 starts at a new club is that bad, plus I didn't know how many goals he has set-up or had a hand in with his pace/movement. I'm sure he would have had a far greater impact in our last 15 games than SEB has.

And he cost £1.6 million. A bargain. And yes Vaz Te would have been a excellent signing for us. I said at the time he'd be another ideal pacy striker, but always said it was unlikely as he was linked with his old manager Allardyce before the window opened. West Ham have been shocking the last couple of months apart from yesterday, bug they've still been dragging themselves through with "decent" results.

Back
Top Bottom