Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Championship forward line

B

Bungle Bonce

MM had this spot on in the year we went up - Keogh, Vokes & Iwelumo a could all play alongside SEB and bring something to the table.

I thought big Chris was exactly what was needed in that league. Bags of experience, fan favorite, knew where the goal was, put himself about and could defend.

I know a lot depends on the new manager coming in, his style and the players who stay. I've a feeling that Doyle will remain, who in theory, could take that 'Iwelumo role'.

If he does go, who could it be? Could it be Heskey (I know, I know!! But if he does go to Leicester then you know he'll score in that league) or Kevin Davies?

And has SEB proved that he can't cut it in the top flight, or has he always been starved of service or sacrificed to flood a midfield because teams of our status can't compete as a 442 in the PL? I hope it's the latter, but will a new manager look to sign a 'premier number 9'?

Reaction score
We shouldn't be looking at an old head IMO, should try and get an up and coming player, unearth that player 10 years before he has to drop down a division, rather than at the time. Iwelumo was important largely because we had an inexperienced squad, they're all now 4 years older and 3 of those have been in the Premiership so that can't be levelled at them now, we could afford to have a younger player come in I feel. If you sign Kevin Davies/Heskey he just needs replacing if you get promoted again.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We definitely need a new target man for SEB to play off. I have said before that we should look at Gary Madine he is only 22 and 6'3" - he has a good chance of growing into a very good player. I finance allow you I would also take a look at Jordan Rhodes to challenge SEB as well. If we have to move on Vokes to do this I would.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We definitely need a new target man for SEB to play off. I have said before that we should look at Gary Madine he is only 22 and 6'3" - he has a good chance of growing into a very good player. I finance allow you I would also take a look at Jordan Rhodes to challenge SEB as well. If we have to move on Vokes to do this I would.

Challenge SEB? :D

If Rhodes can't get in ahead of eshoots blanks he must be shocking

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Get Iwelumo back. Transfer fee would only be about a month of RoJo's wages.

One thing we've failed to do in the MM era is capitalise on experienced players, look at Jason Roberts at Reading - signing of the season for me.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
THis thread and some of the old boys recommended is depressing.

M

Mugwump

It all depends on our style if play really as to who we sign. Seb is proven at that level but he might not suit what a new manager wants. I know he hasn't been that good this season, but he scored some valuable goals for us last season and I think he is more than good enough for the championship.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Would have thought SEB and Doyle with another young forward along the lines of Rhodes as the main 3 with McAliden, Spray or Cassidy and even Griffiths featuring. Undecided on Vokes, really like him but I think he lacks pace and possibly composure.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

SEB's got the form in the Championship....golden boot winner in successive seasons. If we were looking to buy somebody with that record...how much would we want him?

If I could keep anybody as a forward pairing I'd keep SEB and Fletcher, then sell Doyle and Vokes and bring in A N Other.
Just don't think Vokes has got the instinct, and Doyle can play a better role for a decent Prem. side where he's got options and a better team behind him.
However, I think Fletcher will be gone pretty quickly for a decent price....would love him to stay though, he'd tear the Championship apart with two wingers putting crosses over.

tiggerkev

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Surely we will want to build for a return to the Premieship. So all of these "will do a job in the championship" idea's are a bit off.

We have suffered for three seasons with a team that "could do a job in the championship". Why should we now keep them all again to get us back to the prem and struggle.

We have a few premier class players, if we could hold onto them it would be great, if not we need to shop around or bring our youngsters in.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Billy Sharp scored goals for fun in that league, but he hasn't out scored SEB in the championship.

I'm pretty sure he had one of the highest shots to goals ratios in Europe last season.

Give him chances and he will score, unfortunately we don't create many chances.

Whilst i think Rhodes will be a very good player in the future I'd still have SEB. When Rhodes has consistently scored 20 goals in the championship I might change my mind.

Btw last season where SEB had couple of runs in the team, he got 7 league goals in 30 games and I'd imagine most of those were sub appearances so that's not a bad return.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

WasStefan

I despair at people saying Ebanks should leave. Have these people actually seen his championship record? People need to think before they post - truly embarrassing.

D

Dorset DeWolf

I despair at people saying Ebanks should leave. Have these people actually seen his championship record? People need to think before they post - truly embarrassing.

agree enitely, anybody writing SEB off for next season clearly is as thick as pig $$$$

F

FLEET WOLF

agree enitely, anybody writing SEB off for next season clearly is as thick as pig $$$$

He may do it, but I am basing it on what fans of other clubs say to me about SEB-overweight, slow, no movement. He may not be as effective in the Championship now because that is perhaps better and he is perhaps less effective. I am not necessarily writing him off, but let's please not put him on too much of a pedestal! And I am not as thick as pig $$$$ by the way!

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
The ideal scenario is obviously Fletcher staying as this gives us the flexibility to play either a fluid 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 with two wingers feeding him and another proven Championship goalscorer in SEB. If we kept Fletcher, my four forwards would be Fletcher, SEB, Vokes and McAlinden.

If, however, Fletcher (and possibly Doyle) moves on then we will obviously have to look at bringing people in. As much as I like the sentiment of bringing in players who could potentially make the step-up to the Premier League, you have to remember that for every Danny Graham, there are many more strikers who have done really well in the Championship but made very little impact in the top flight. Chopra, Nugent, Beckford, Bothroyd, Lita and SEB to name but a few.

Even the one striker who everyone thinks will eventually be a top-class Premier League player (Connor Wickham) has made very little impact at Sunderland so far and he cost £8m. Therefore, I would personally consider any striker who could 'do a job in the Championship' on the proviso that we were more ruthless in replacing them if we did get back to the Premier League. With that in mind, players that I would consider include:

Targetmen
Connor Wickham (Loan), Heidar Helguson, Jay Rodriguez, Kyle Lafferty, Kevin Davies, Gary Madine

Goalscorers
Jordan Rhodes, Jay Bothroyd

Pacey strikers
Benik Afobe (Loan), Emanuel Mayuka, Tyrone Barnett

Link Players
Will Keane (Loan)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can we not just buy a left back and play Stephen Ward in his rightful position?

T

Tettenhall Wolf

I am split.

Don't know enough about the younger players mentioned.

Im terms of experienced players, Davies wouldn't be a bad choice I'm terms of heading, physical etc.

I think Blakey definately has to start every game now, as he should be our 9 next season.

He hasn't played well in the PL, but also hasn't been in the team week I'm week out.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He may do it, but I am basing it on what fans of other clubs say to me about SEB-overweight, slow, no movement. He may not be as effective in the Championship now because that is perhaps better and he is perhaps less effective.

He's never had pace, and he's never been slim.
His game depends on us getting breaks in and around the 6 yrd box....for the last few years the ball's hardly been there and we've played a totally different game.
You'd think in the Championship we'd be good enough to at least keep the ball long enough to make some chances.......

H

Hatch End

I'm just not sure about SEB.
If I was new to the club and had never seen him in the Chump I would be saying get rid.
He's three years older, has done nothing in that time, looks overweight and unfit..................but................some players just don't make the step up from Chump to Greed League.
He may still "have it" and if so he will save us a lot of money, at least until we get promoted (!).
However, it's a risk to base all our striking hopes on him, because if it doesn't work out we will be struggling for goals again.
Big decision for our new manager!

F

FLEET WOLF

I'm just not sure about SEB.
If I was new to the club and had never seen him in the Chump I would be saying get rid.
He's three years older, has done nothing in that time, looks overweight and unfit..................but................some players just don't make the step up from Chump to Greed League.
He may still "have it" and if so he will save us a lot of money, at least until we get promoted (!).
However, it's a risk to base all our striking hopes on him, because if it doesn't work out we will be struggling for goals again.
Big decision for our new manager!

Spot on and it will be interesting to see who the new manager wants to shift out really.

S

singwolf_1

Are you guys who are saying get rid of SEB the same guys who were saying that Kites is no PL player? You wouldn't know a good player if he stood on your shoulders and $$$$ed on your head!

H

Hatch End

I just love it when absent "fans" pontificate about things they know nothing about.

F

FLEET WOLF

I listen to what non-Wolves supporting people who watch a lot of football have to say about our players. Perhaps sometimes we can't see the (dead) wood for the trees.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We won't sell both Doyle and Fletch so it'll be one of them plus presumably SEB.

Personally, I think we need a bit of a striking shake up as SEB and Doyle really haven't gelled in the Prem and who knows wehtehr or not SEB can still fire them in in the Champ.

I guess we'll know by January

F

FLEET WOLF

We won't sell both Doyle and Fletch so it'll be one of them plus presumably SEB.

Personally, I think we need a bit of a striking shake up as SEB and Doyle really haven't gelled in the Prem and who knows wehtehr or not SEB can still fire them in in the Champ.

I guess we'll know by January

I would take a decent enough offer for either of them, provided we have pretty much clinched the signing of a new striker. I still think Doyle will have one or two PL clubs after him (probably Reading!) but I am not so sure about SEB.

W

we8wba

imo fletcher and doyle will leave which only leaves us with

Ebanks, Vokes, Griffiths

now i'd keep griffiths or vokes as 4th choice and sell the other (neither i trust as 2nd or 3rd choice)

we need to sign minimum 2 strikers in the summer

i can see us getting jay rodriguez of burnley personally as one

L

long ball man

Tranmere fans rate jake Cassidy as being a similar class of player as previous loanee Joe Hart.

this boy has got to be worth some starts in pre season games so we can see if we have a Bully or a Colin Taylor on our hands.

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tranmere fans rate jake Cassidy as being a similar class of player as previous loanee Joe Hart.

this boy has got to be worth some starts in pre season games so we can see if we have a Bully or a Colin Taylor on our hands.

He'll be a Colin Taylor but then go somewhere else and be a Romario.

B

bridgnorthwolf

The ideal scenario is obviously Fletcher staying as this gives us the flexibility to play either a fluid 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 with two wingers feeding him and another proven Championship goalscorer in SEB. If we kept Fletcher, my four forwards would be Fletcher, SEB, Vokes and McAlinden.

If, however, Fletcher (and possibly Doyle) moves on then we will obviously have to look at bringing people in. As much as I like the sentiment of bringing in players who could potentially make the step-up to the Premier League, you have to remember that for every Danny Graham, there are many more strikers who have done really well in the Championship but made very little impact in the top flight. Chopra, Nugent, Beckford, Bothroyd, Lita and SEB to name but a few.

Even the one striker who everyone thinks will eventually be a top-class Premier League player (Connor Wickham) has made very little impact at Sunderland so far and he cost £8m. Therefore, I would personally consider any striker who could 'do a job in the Championship' on the proviso that we were more ruthless in replacing them if we did get back to the Premier League. With that in mind, players that I would consider include:

Targetmen
Connor Wickham (Loan), Heidar Helguson, Jay Rodriguez, Kyle Lafferty, Kevin Davies, Gary Madine

Goalscorers
Jordan Rhodes, Jay Bothroyd

Pacey strikers
Benik Afobe (Loan), Emanuel Mayuka, Tyrone Barnett

Link Players
Will Keane (Loan)

I would take Rodriguez in a heartbeat, has been scoring for fun for Burnley and with another goalscorer next to him he'd be awesome. I think Madine is a player with potential too. I think Rhodes should be top of our shopping list whatever happens because this summer may be our best (possibly only) chance of getting him and his value will definitely rise considerably. I would also take Bothroyd if we were looking to replace players and I like the look of Afobe too, although I think he's more likely to be loaned out to a newly-promoted Premier League team.

Solskjaer is keen to take Keane to Molde on loan at the moment...

R

richiej95

Come on people saying SEB won't do it in the Championship are not that stupid. I personally think he will still score goals in the Championship but I can fully understand people doubting it. Lets be honest, in the Prem over the past 3 years he has been $$$$e. He is overweight, slow, poor touch, hasn't scored many goals and generally been awful when played IMO. Based on that, you can understand people thinking he has lost it and will not do well.
Personally, I think he is just one of those players who can't quite make the step up and he will still score next season, but I can fully understand people having doubts.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nathan Delfonsou from Villa is an interesting player for me. I have heard that Villa may let him go in the summer and I think he may be worth a shout. He clearly needs a fresh start and I think he may well do a job at Wolves on a permanent contract. He has the pace and skill to be a very good player if he is given a run of games.
Fortune from Albion is another one I would look at if Albion dont renew his contract. He would be a good target man in the championship.
There is also DJ Campbell for a pacy striker.

R

richiej95

Brilliant shout JOSWolf. Having watched Delfouneso for the Villa youth/reserve sides for about 3 years I can say he looked head and shoulder above any other player there, including the likes of Bannan and Albrighton. Hasn't had opportunities in the last couple of years but definitiely an extremely talented player. Would love to see him at Wolves.

F

FLEET WOLF

Brilliant shout JOSWolf. Having watched Delfouneso for the Villa youth/reserve sides for about 3 years I can say he looked head and shoulder above any other player there, including the likes of Bannan and Albrighton. Hasn't had opportunities in the last couple of years but definitiely an extremely talented player. Would love to see him at Wolves.

Might be worth a shout, but Villa fans I know don't particularly rate him-perhaps he does need a new start though.

F

FLEET WOLF

Come on people saying SEB won't do it in the Championship are not that stupid. I personally think he will still score goals in the Championship but I can fully understand people doubting it. Lets be honest, in the Prem over the past 3 years he has been $$$$e. He is overweight, slow, poor touch, hasn't scored many goals and generally been awful when played IMO. Based on that, you can understand people thinking he has lost it and will not do well.
Personally, I think he is just one of those players who can't quite make the step up and he will still score next season, but I can fully understand people having doubts.

That is a fair summary in my view-he may score goals next year for us, but I have a feeling he won't do as well as he did for us a few years ago and I think, in all honesty, he needs a new start.

J

johnybig32

Andy Carroll will probably be available. ;)

Its a catch 22 situation. Build a team "just" to get us back up or build a team that will get us up and compete in the future.

For this division, we do need a "battering ram" type of player.

Holt last year, Lambert this. There MUST be players out there that would do this.

Whoever, despite his Prem form, SEB is the ideal person to play in the Npower.

X

XDevonwolf

With the parachute payments from the PL and our wage structure, we should be able to keep who we want.

As has been said its all down to the manager we will have, that's if we have one. Morgan & Moxey seem to think we don't need one.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think it's right to judge SEB too harshly on what he's done in the Prem, where we've never really played to his stengths. Two good wingers and a target man next to him to do the donkey work and he'd score goals in any league IMO.

Back
Top Bottom