Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Cathro!

vini69

Reaction score
Concede the middle of the park to organised positions when defending. Squeezing the play to make Zaha come inside to link play but leaving zonal cover behind. Operating a fluid system that saw Jonny pop up for the left (last week) with a goal and today Doc. Apart from misplaced passes, tactically, this was brilliant. It WAS brilliant to watch. The last 20 was essentially a Palace a hoof ball past midfield to their starved attackers....I lost count the amount of times Henners was reduced to wailing it forward due to pressure from our forwards. Ian Cathro...take a bow son. Probably the most understated signing to date. You need the medics, the nutritionists, the fitness staff, the rehab, the coaching and tactics...but you also need the nerds. He’s probably working by candlelight on Watford right now...and I, for one, salute you Sir. Astral......the fizzy is well and truly open! U.T.W.

S

ShropshireLad

Concede the middle of the park to organised positions when defending. Squeezing the play to make Zaha come inside to link play but leaving zonal cover behind. Operating a fluid system that saw Jonny pop up for the left (last week) with a goal and today Doc. Apart from misplaced passes, tactically, this was brilliant. It WAS brilliant to watch. The last 20 was essentially a Palace a hoof ball past midfield to their starved attackers....I lost count the amount of times Henners was reduced to wailing it forward due to pressure from our forwards. Ian Cathro...take a bow son. Probably the most understated signing to date. You need the medics, the nutritionists, the fitness staff, the rehab, the coaching and tactics...but you also need the nerds. He’s probably working by candlelight on Watford right now...and I, for one, salute you Sir. Astral......the fizzy is well and truly open! U.T.W.
Very interesting and well-observed, Vini. You've made me think.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry Vini but where is this from and why are you picking out Cathro for the plaudits which surely should go to all involved?

vini69

Reaction score
No need to apologise; absolutely....Plaudits to all involved. I’m just acknowledging a brilliant tactician, known to me before he joined Wolves (not personally) and recognising his worth. If Nuno is the compass, this guy is magnetic north!

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On last seeks Soccer Saturday Helder Costa was interviewed. He seemed to single doubt Julio Figueroa (the bald chap with the little beard) as the one who helped him during his time out injured.

A bit like Liam Neeson in Taken, it might be each coach has a very particular set of skills.

L

Lycan

No need to apologise; absolutely....Plaudits to all involved. I’m just acknowledging a brilliant tactician, known to me before he joined Wolves (not personally) and recognising his worth. If Nuno is the compass, this guy is magnetic north!

Cathro is not a brilliant tactician. I know several people who work for either the SFA or in various roles within Scottish football, people who actually DO know him personally and all of them say the same. He's a laughing stock.

He's Craig Levein's boy wonder (which should tell you everything you need to know), he's the one who convinced McClaren to hire him at Newcastle. Benitez kept him on as assistant for the same reasons, because he was highly recommend by people within Newcastle. Once Benitez actually got to know him and got his own people in he wouldn't let Cathro interact with the first team at all. Cathro's job title was assistant manager but he was restricted to doing opposition analysis, reporting into a head scout who reported to Rafa. He wasn't allowed to step foot on the training pitch.

His influence on the current Wolves team will be negligible.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How do you know it was him and not the analyst from Man United?

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cathro is not a brilliant tactician. I know several people who work for either the SFA or in various roles within Scottish football, people who actually DO know him personally and all of them say the same. He's a laughing stock.

He's Craig Levein's boy wonder (which should tell you everything you need to know), he's the one who convinced McClaren to hire him at Newcastle. Benitez kept him on as assistant for the same reasons, because he was highly recommend by people within Newcastle. Once Benitez actually got to know him and got his own people in he wouldn't let Cathro interact with the first team at all. Cathro's job title was assistant manager but he was restricted to doing opposition analysis, reporting into a head scout who reported to Rafa. He wasn't allowed to step foot on the training pitch.

I'm sorry but I'll trust Nuno's opinion of him over yours, given the time they spent together doing their coaching badges, and at Valencia. I'm of the opinion we have a world class coaching team, no need to single out individuals, especially when all of what OP says is just typical of Nuno's footballing philosophy - it's not anything new to see us playing on the half press with the wingers tucking in when we don't have the ball. At the same time I'm not saying he's not having an influence, just that it's a little strange to suggest this is all Cathro's doing.

D

Deleted member 3751

He's a laughing stock who helped get Valencia into the Champions League and clearly has Nuno's faith. So while the rest of these people from the SFA who know him personally preside over Scottish football - which IS a laughing stock from top to bottom - Cathro is helping a newly promoted club make waves in the biggest league in the world.

Who's the laughing stock?

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cathro's strength is analysing the opposition. He's been derided for his man-management skills, and was clearly not suited as a manager.

Today Palace changed their system to combat us and we were ready for it.

Last season we did our thing regardless.

Nobody knows how important he is other than Nuno. As usual, I'll trust his opinion.

K

Knocker Lite

I remember Gordan Strachan on a recent radio show saying anyone can do the coaching that's the easy bit. I guess its a question of priority with that former Scotland manager losing his job because under his influence his country lacked a national identity and pattern of play. These old school coaches who gained positions based on playing profile hate the likes of Cathro because they see this easy gravy train slipping away from their grasp. The games moved on, people with brains have moved into key positions.

Edinburgh Wolf

Reaction score
Cathro's only seen as a figure of fun up here if you're a footballing dinosaur/part of the old boys club at the SFA or Media. He's probably not manager material, certainly not in Scotland anyway, but he's exceptionally good at looking at opposition tactics and working out how to counteract them.

The media portrayal/ character assassination of Cathro up here was an embarrassment and showed up a lot of the reasons why Scottish football has been struggling for so long. A complete unwillingness to realise that things have advanced from the 1980s.

The fact that credence was given to Kris Boyd's view was case in point. The same Kris Boyd who was influential in getting Paul Le Guen sacked at Rangers because "he didnae unnerstand the culture, he tried tae git us tae change our diet an that, stopped me eatun pickled onion monster munch and burgers" or something like that. His very personal attack seemed to centre on the fact that Cathro wouldn't go out on the **** with the boys at a coaching course, preferring to stay in and work on the tactical analysis for Valencia's upcoming Champions League match. From then on he was ridiculed as a weirdo "iPad coach" by the media.

In any other country/footballing culture, Boyd would be the laughing stock, not Cathro.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wish people would stop apologising for apologising.
Just saying.

S

ShropshireLad

A brown envelope & computer critics - inside track on Nuno's No.2
Agree to disagree then...not a manager yet for sure..but an interesting story.
Very interesting, Vini, and it's a good contribution to my understanding.

Cathro is certainly no alpha male and alpha males like taking the **** out of characters like him. The trouble is that alpha males often have **** for brains and their head up their own arses to the extent that they can't see the sun shine.

Long may brains succeed over brawn.

Lupo Italiano

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cathro's only seen as a figure of fun up here if you're a footballing dinosaur/part of the old boys club at the SFA or Media. He's probably not manager material, certainly not in Scotland anyway, but he's exceptionally good at looking at opposition tactics and working out how to counteract them.

The media portrayal/ character assassination of Cathro up here was an embarrassment and showed up a lot of the reasons why Scottish football has been struggling for so long. A complete unwillingness to realise that things have advanced from the 1980s.

The fact that credence was given to Kris Boyd's view was case in point. The same Kris Boyd who was influential in getting Paul Le Guen sacked at Rangers because "he didnae unnerstand the culture, he tried tae git us tae change our diet an that, stopped me eatun pickled onion monster munch and burgers" or something like that. His very personal attack seemed to centre on the fact that Cathro wouldn't go out on the **** with the boys at a coaching course, preferring to stay in and work on the tactical analysis for Valencia's upcoming Champions League match. From then on he was ridiculed as a weirdo "iPad coach" by the media.

In any other country/footballing culture, Boyd would be the laughing stock, not Cathro.

Very interesting insight and indicative of the (thankfully) dying old boys, dinosaur mindset of British football. While these blokes are knocking about in footballing wilderness, Cathro has already worked at Valencia and now at one of the most exciting, progressive new Premier League clubs EVER so he must have something about him

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of Nuno’s trusted lieutenants, every great manager needs his follows at his side, the best in the world always bring their team with them where ever they go and clearly Cathro is one of them for Nuno.

D

Deleted member 3573J

It depends what type of person is calling him a laughing stock, was it Kris Boyd who did a newspaper column mocking him for using a laptop on the bench? If it's old skool types at the SFA mocking him then I'm not surprised, they don't like different, Wenger was a laughing stock when he arrived in England, the media mocked his look, the players thought he was an idiot because he had a totally different way of doing things. I was watching the BT score programme yesterday and Sherwood said Stuart Ripley's nickname was 'different' because he used to read books on the coach while they played cards. Le Saux was called a homosexual because he read books and different newspapers to the rest, people get a reputation that sticks for life just because a handful of people mock them.

Nuno knows him well so I'll trust his opinion that Cathro adds something to the team over some faceless goons at the SFA who take the **** out of someone behind their back, a man who's coached in La Liga and the Premier League while they act like little girls telling anyone who'll listen that he's a laughing stock, while they do what exactly?

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

SFA, McClaren

Or

Nuno

Hmmmmmmmm.......

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes but Lycan knows 'several people' within Scottish football :p

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont know Cathro,or much about him, other than what ive read of his early days with Nuno and failed management exploits
Many footballers fail at management,thats nothing new,managing people is difficult in any business,no matter how good your credentials
I must admit i questioned why we needed him at all,and still have little idea as to what he does,but if it works fine,i trust Nuno and his team until they give me reason not to

cannockwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I dont know Cathro,or much about him, other than what ive read of his early days with Nuno and failed management exploits
Many footballers fail at management,thats nothing new,managing people is difficult in any business,no matter how good your credentials
I must admit i questioned why we needed him at all,and still have little idea as to what he does,but if it works fine,i trust Nuno and his team until they give me reason not to

this is why he's here

Nuno has called Cathro a “genius”
‘I saw a lot from the bench’: how Porto’s reserve goalkeeper became manager

"A genius" and "a visionary", according to Valencia CF coach Nuno Espírito Santo"
Member associations - Spain - News – UEFA.com

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe i can see cathro’s influence this season. We are more tactically flexible and organised. We will never onow for sure but Nuno is a good judge in my view so if he thinks he is good. Then he is good. The post from edinburgh earlier was excellent. I am going to watch dunfermline v dundee united as i will be up there when we play brighton away. Looking forward to the tactical wizardry on offer.....

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A far cry from Mick and Terry.

Clipboard always had one word on it - hoof.

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ahhh the latest weekly Molineux Mix scapegoat.

I don't care if he wears a pink tutu in the technical area whilst standing on his head singing Agadoo. He's part of the coaching / backroom team that has us in the top half of of the Premier League playing the best football we've seen in decades, with the most exciting players we've had in decades.

For as long as that continues, I don't care what Cathro, Nuno or anyone else does.

If we won the Premier League title this year and win the Champions League next season, someone on here would still find someone or something at the club to nitpick at.

Back
Top Bottom