Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Canned hunting

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Much like our so called fox hunting although banned the police seem reluctant to enforce this particular law, even after the anti fox hunting people gather the evidence under the constant threat of violence . Strange how one force even had a pro hunt officer involved in the so called protection of animals.

Reaction score
I've been led to believe this isn't as clear cut as you'd expect. Got a mate who's looking to be a safari vet within the next 2 or 3 years, done voluntary stuff out there by the bucketload, and he was saying it's basically a compromise to allow a stable population, controlled hunting rights etc. I asked if it wouldn't be better for the population to let them all loose into the wild but he said there isn't really a wild any more, the whole place is more or less fenced in zoos etc, very artificial.

One example he gave was a pack of hunting dogs moved onto a farm and were killing all the expensive Impala etc, the farmer was in negotiations with some authority who requested he only shot two a year as this was the rate they'd regenerate, he could lower the numbers there whilst keeping an endangered species at some level. The proposition being canned hunting effectively. In the end they couldn't agree so the farmer shot them all - neither scenario is perfect but the canned hunting one would've allowed some level of wild dog population to survive.

Not gonna claim I know that much about it, I'll try find out more when I see him next, but just thought it was worth a mention as my first instinct was the same as you two. I respect his opinion on stuff like this and he was basically saying against your inevitable immediate reaction it's actually a necessary part of the conservation of lions... can't say I really understand still!

silverwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I've been led to believe this isn't as clear cut as you'd expect. Got a mate who's looking to be a safari vet within the next 2 or 3 years, done voluntary stuff out there by the bucketload, and he was saying it's basically a compromise to allow a stable population, controlled hunting rights etc. I asked if it wouldn't be better for the population to let them all loose into the wild but he said there isn't really a wild any more, the whole place is more or less fenced in zoos etc, very artificial.

One example he gave was a pack of hunting dogs moved onto a farm and were killing all the expensive Impala etc, the farmer was in negotiations with some authority who requested he only shot two a year as this was the rate they'd regenerate, he could lower the numbers there whilst keeping an endangered species at some level. The proposition being canned hunting effectively. In the end they couldn't agree so the farmer shot them all - neither scenario is perfect but the canned hunting one would've allowed some level of wild dog population to survive.

Not gonna claim I know that much about it, I'll try find out more when I see him next, but just thought it was worth a mention as my first instinct was the same as you two. I respect his opinion on stuff like this and he was basically saying against your inevitable immediate reaction it's actually a necessary part of the conservation of lions... can't say I really understand still!

What you state above is almost entirely accurate. I'm a practicing vet who has been/is involved in conservation of big game in Africa. Although i haven't read the above article conservation medicine in certain African nations is funded very heavily by big game hunting. The levels are controlled and each establishmnet is licensed (or should be). Without the infrastructure provided by funds from these enterprises, poaching would occur at a much higher level. Government resources just don't stretch that fair and so private game reserves actually perform an important role in conserving some of the species we all know and love.

Unfortunately controls on breeding for slaughter do need to be tightened up, and although the above may be deemed necessary i find it an abhorrent practice. We as a species have an awful lot to answer for.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What you state above is almost entirely accurate. I'm a practicing vet who has been/is involved in conservation of big game in Africa. Although i haven't read the above article conservation medicine in certain African nations is funded very heavily by big game hunting. The levels are controlled and each establishmnet is licensed (or should be). Without the infrastructure provided by funds from these enterprises, poaching would occur at a much higher level. Government resources just don't stretch that fair and so private game reserves actually perform an important role in conserving some of the species we all know and love.

Unfortunately controls on breeding for slaughter do need to be tightened up, and although the above may be deemed necessary i find it an abhorrent practice. We as a species have an awful lot to answer for.

Spot on, I can not understand the pleasure in killing for fun (it aint sport)?

D

Deleted member 3604

I can't quite understand or appreciate the thrill of killing a Lion, Rhino, an Elephant etc etc. That isn't actually hunting it is as somebody said psychopathic behaviour. The photo of that cretin and that Lion repulsed me. Tough guy. Anything for money it seems. Currently visualising the scene in Crocodile Dundee when the Kangaroo shoots back.

Back
Top Bottom