Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Can we improve on summer 2020?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aren't all the players attracting high value interest Mendes clients ?
If so Fosun may reopen that channel to early Nuno levels

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes if we can take 200m in incoming transfer fees spend 120m we could really assemble something special
I believe it’s the recruitment that is key here. We are going to stick with this model and I can’t see us breaking our transfer record for a signing again for a while, but we could break our sale record with Neto , Gomes or Kilman at the current progress rate.
We will know more about O Neil after next season .

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Forest go down can we pick up Awyoni?

I am hearing a current side between 2nd and 7th have a deal in principle agreed (fee range, not a set price yet) to get first dibs to strike a deal should they go down if they need to sell as he doesn’t have a relegation clause in his contract.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am hearing a current side between 2nd and 7th have a deal in principle agreed (fee range, not a set price yet) to get first dibs to strike a deal should they go down if they need to sell as he doesn’t have a relegation clause in his contract.
Iv heard this too. Arsenal apparently. Chelsea will move for Toney. Wolves will be active let’s not worry about that

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Iv heard this too. Arsenal apparently. Chelsea will move for Toney. Wolves will be active let’s not worry about that

I am actually pretty calm about the summer as I know we are enquiring for potential targets for the summer and in Jan we discussed to set up for then.

I don’t know who though….. I am asking but if it gets out who the players are, I know my mates would get sacked……

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am actually pretty calm about the summer as I know we are enquiring for potential targets for the summer and in Jan we discussed to set up for then.

I don’t know who though….. I am asking but if it gets out who the players are, I know my mates would get sacked……
I’m excited about the summer. Huge potential.

I don’t care who goes. I know we have plans going forward and we will improve. Names will come nearer the time. We all know we want a striker and a winger to start with. Maybe full back depending on what happens with Semedo….

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he can stay fit absolutely

Some of his issues are down to Forest not being able to rest him or take him off when he is in the red zone.

He is a player based on his muscularity and the significance of the power/explosive element to his game shouldn’t be run in the red too often and Forest keep doing it…… they have to risk him, their medical team are ripping their hair out over it!!!!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mind you, we can’t do worse than Utd on a bad signing……

They could have bought 71.6million sausage rolls from Greggs for how much they wasted on Anthony……

I think I know which one this options the fans would have got more joy from!

Hahaha

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mind you, we can’t do worse than Utd on a bad signing……

They could have bought 71.6million sausage rolls from Greggs for how much they wasted on Anthony……

I think I know which one this options the fans would have got more joy from!

Hahaha
Iv heard a bidding war will happen for Neto.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Every player has a price.

Just read a dumb article saying Semedo is worth less than he was now and it got me thinking that Nelson in current form has got to be one of the best RB in the league, you would think he is another who could be linked with a move away.

The important thing is to only lose those we have replacements lined up for and for the right money.

We did a superb job replacing Neves and João, so good I don't miss them one bit, Gomes and Lemina are superior in many ways.

Hopefully Neto can be replaced too, Gonzalez maybe not ready yet.

Looks like we have players in place at Centre Half, Bueno at left back also although we would need to change our shape as Ran is so unique.

Only problem position is the Forward places as always but it's not like we are heavily reliant on one player like a Kane and I think more teams are realising it's better to be dynamic.

That's my bit of nightly waffle anyway.

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In addition to those mentioned above, there might be one or two others the club feel they might let go subject to acceptable offers. One could be Hwang on the basis that, like Adama was, he may have reached his peak this season and so it's the optimum time to cash in. We might also be mindful that with a small squad it's risky to rely too much on a player prone to injury. Another could be Sa if we feel that we need to shift the emphasis for a keeper onto one who is better at playing out from the back. I'm not advocating we sell either, just that it's quite possible that we may be surprised by some of the names that leave, a bit like the summer when Jota and Doc departed.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never gonna happen and we shouldn't even begin to go all FM.
In the past I've never been bothered about overhauling a squad, but doing it now would be a huge mistake. It's taken O'Neil half a season to get this team to understand his ideas - no guarantee it would be as quick with new acquisitions.

Sell one for big money, two at the most. We probably won't have any choice. Replenish the squad where we are light on numbers and get to work bedding them in.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As of the summer, our squad looks like this;

GK

Sa
Bentley
King

I'd like better, but don't feel it is a priority.

Full Backs

Semedo
Doherty
RAN
Bueno

Centre Backs

Bueno
Dawson
Mosquera
Kilman
Gomes

Centre Mid

Gomes
Lemina
Traore
Doyle
Hodge

Forwards and Wide players

Bellegarde
Sarabia
Neto
Hwang
Cunha
Chiquino
Guedes
Podence

Strikers

Silva
Sasa
Fraser

This isn't including;

Hoever
Lembikisa
Lemina Jnr
Enzo
Chirewa
Bolla
Cundle

It is clear we will see one if not two come in up front, plus a Neto replacement.

Beyond that. where are the gaping holes?

I think Central defence can still be improved on.
Dawson is the best of them and probably has one season ( if that) left in him.

Pete

Groupie
Reaction score
We are going to sell and have done so in the past, this is the hardest part of football. The need to sell and players that want to move on, balanced against the need to keep the rest of the squad happy and bring new players in.

Many a team have tried it and are in the Championship and League One.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That'll be Villa, I reckon. One in for around £50m and two big sales for £150m to square FFP.

They could cash in on any two of Luiz, Ramsey and Watkins.

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Are we allowed to spend in the summer?
Can’t we try and keep Neto, spend money and show him our ambition?

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Who we sell and buy will be determined i reckon as to if we are in europe or not. Will need to improve squad depth to allow for a second string in europe, otherwise 2 games a week with our current numbers would result in increased fatigue and injuries. I am sure we have all eventualities covered, and trust Hobbs to not put us at ffp risk again, whilst ensuring GON has enough numbers to make us competitve whether in europe or not.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
In addition to those mentioned above, there might be one or two others the club feel they might let go subject to acceptable offers. One could be Hwang on the basis that, like Adama was, he may have reached his peak this season and so it's the optimum time to cash in. We might also be mindful that with a small squad it's risky to rely too much on a player prone to injury. Another could be Sa if we feel that we need to shift the emphasis for a keeper onto one who is better at playing out from the back. I'm not advocating we sell either, just that it's quite possible that we may be surprised by some of the names that leave, a bit like the summer when Jota and Doc departed.

This is kind of my point re: Semedo.

Doc left on the basis we had an acceptable replacement and got a good bid.

Mendes could be offering us a great player in a certain position which leads us to think we can do business on someone we aren't really imagining we would sell.

Impossible to predict but great fun to ponder.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I fear many people will be disappointed this summer
We currently have a £48m deficit plus a £60m plus deficit on the books
What this seasons figures are who knows
We made good profits on players and got the wage bill down
We also made payoffs to JL and staff plus hired GON and his staff,they all cost money
The Doyle transfer will almost certainly be done not sure if there are others to be paid for
So what im saying is there is very little if any wiggle room without selling at least 2 of our better players
Neto obviously,but wouldnt be surprised to see Hwang,RAN or Kilman move on too

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are we allowed to spend in the summer?
Can’t we try and keep Neto, spend money and show him our ambition?
Dream on! Top, top players do not want to be at middling clubs like Wolves. If we made top 4 then perhaps he'd stay to play in the CL with us - now I'm dreaming!

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the past I've never been bothered about overhauling a squad, but doing it now would be a huge mistake. It's taken O'Neil half a season to get this team to understand his ideas - no guarantee it would be as quick with new acquisitions.

Sell one for big money, two at the most. We probably won't have any choice. Replenish the squad where we are light on numbers and get to work bedding them in.
That's the first correct interpretation on the thread.

Once you have assembled a good squad, with right age, skill and experience mix, then the principle is to minimise disruption, attempt to strengthen the squad and go all out the following season for Euro qualification and winning a cup. The squad have developed a good r'shp both on and off the field, so all kinds of synergies kick in.

Look at Villa and Newcastle for recent successful examples of how to do it. Look at Southampton for the very worst example of how not
to do it.

It is the following season after the push for a top 6 place that more restructuring of the squad becomes hard to avoid, unless the club has been spectacularly successful.

It may not be possible to hold onto Neto, given his ambition, age and given the finances. But the club should try and, in any case, limit
outgoings to only the one major player.. Others like Cunha, Gomes, Hwang, Kilman, Ait Nouri, Semedo, SA, etc. should be retained at all costs. This is their moment, and given the extra 3-4 players the squad needs, (if Neto goes), they can go full out for next season.

The rules governing stratification in the Premier dictate these parameters, and this will only worsen if the Premier aligns closely with UEFA's player costs cap over the next few years. Next season may plausibly the last time for a while that Wolves will have the opportunity of a credible run at the top 6.

fleck1

Reaction score
I could envisage both Doherty and Dawson being put out to pasture in the Champ this summer. Don't know why there's so much negativity about Bouba - like Bellegarde he's hardly been given a chance to establish himself.
I don't see Dawson going anywhere with our young and hungry approach. Experienced pro, knows the league, his game has never been built around having any pace so could easily be playing around this level for 2,3 or 4 more years.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem with the 2020 revamp was we didn’t change midfield, the back 3 or keeper. Patricio was good but was not a sweeper keeper as he was as adverse to coming off his line as Kendall was and was useless with his feet. The back 3 never worked in a 2, Coady was too slow; Boly wasn’t great without the insurance and one of Saiis or Kilman didn’t quite work. The midfield was too limited, with Mouthinho’s pace exposed if we were too attacking. I think we need to change from a back 3 to a back 4 so we can play 3 in midfield. I think Dawson needs to drop to the bench and we need a packer centre back. A midfield 3 of Lemina, Gomes and Doyle could be quite tasty and the front 3 may need a centre forward but the rest of will be fine, particularly if Chiquinho is able to continue he Portuguese form.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really do not understand the absolute obsession that some people have with four at the back regardless of how successful other formations are for us. That is particularly the case currently with GON's more fluid set up.

I can't help wondering if some of those folk grew up with 4-4-2 and regard it as the dog's gonads.... Nostalgia don't win games!

ade123

Reaction score
Three or four at the back I think is irrelevant to GON. We have seen he tailors the teams structure to how he sees the game going and on an individual game basis. It also changes from when we have possession to when the other team have possession and can change during games. I think it was the Manu game where he got RAN to go down injured so that he could adjust the shape and as he gets more experience expect this to happen more. We will possibly start buying one or two players who can play across various positions rather than like a set #9. As long as we have the players and future recruitment to meet the nuances of his tactical approach then I'm okay.

Back
Top Bottom