Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Can we improve on summer 2020?

LW1

Groupie
Reaction score
Without wanting to gloss over a really enjoyable season, including yesterday's fun, I was thinking about how similar this feels to the heights of Nuno. We may or may not reach 7th this season but it feels like there are real parallels.

- We are generally very good counter attacking team,
- We have a few very attractive players to other teams as we did then (Traore, Jimenez, Neves / Neto, Cunha, J Gomes)
- We have a manager that is likely to be interesting to other teams.

Makes summer really interesting:

- Can we manage transfers better than the 2020 window (including a high value sale)?
- Are we happy as being best counter attacking or can we make transition to more front foot?
- Can GON show he is a better manager than Nuno by achieving this - I assume there must be improved contract for him too.

I know extenuating circumstances for 20/21 season, but I really hope we can build this time rather than it being the peak of success for this team.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was thinking of starting a thread on the subject of outgoings this summer but could discuss it here. I think we'll lose Neto for sure but I think there will be bids in for certainly Cunha and Gomes and likely RAN and Kilman. The situation this year is much different to the Nuno period, there is no Covid and I think GON is far more settled in post than Nuno was towards the end. This will bring some stability and bar Neto I would hope we can keep all the rest and build around them. Arguably this years 11 is strong enough to start next season but can you imagine say someone like Ivan Toney in this team - pretty exciting tbh. We allowed all the great work that Nuno did to go to nothing so we must not let that happen again. GON is building something good so assuming there will be funds, helped by the income from selling all the loan players, a few astute additions will put us in a great place for next season.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any dismantling of a good squad should be the same as the build. Incremental.

Neto will go but the likes of RAN, Gomes and Cunha will all attract massive bid IMO. You could probably throw a few more in that mix too.

I think we will sell another big hitter in addition to Pedro. We need to be very, very, very careful.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes if we can take 200m in incoming transfer fees spend 120m we could really assemble something special

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was thinking of starting a thread on the subject of outgoings this summer but could discuss it here. I think we'll lose Neto for sure but I think there will be bids in for certainly Cunha and Gomes and likely RAN and Kilman. The situation this year is much different to the Nuno period, there is no Covid and I think GON is far more settled in post than Nuno was towards the end. This will bring some stability and bar Neto I would hope we can keep all the rest and build around them. Arguably this years 11 is strong enough to start next season but can you imagine say someone like Ivan Toney in this team - pretty exciting tbh. We allowed all the great work that Nuno did to go to nothing so we must not let that happen again. GON is building something good so assuming there will be funds, helped by the income from selling all the loan players, a few astute additions will put us in a great place for next season.
I know you aren't suggesting we will sign Toney per se, but we won't, just in case that was your thought process....

Neto is the obvious one, bought very cheaply, third highest assists in the league and has vocally put himself out there potentially. From an FFP POV, I believe this one helps us the most?

@Mugwump makes an excellent point on another thread, we very well may see a reduction in fees being paid now so £60m I think would see him go. Saka might be valued at double that, but that's because Arsenal don't need to sell so can inflate the price accordingly.

Cunha may have suitors for sure, but as we bought him for £40m I think it would take almost double that to sell.

RAN is an interesting one, he had personal issues that were alluded to, but he's now fit, happy and consistent. Again, I think you are talking £40m for us to be interested in selling. and I don't think the market is there for a young LWB

These assumptions are all based on us not needing to sell of course.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it’s time for Neto to go.. and I hope it isn’t.. I would much rather see us keep the rest and invest the Neto money into 2 forwards. One number 9 and a potential Neto replacement.

That could be progress for us. You can’t like-for-like replace a player like Neto unfortunately, but there are players out there with potential to deliver similar numbers.

I would reject all approaches for Gomes, Cunha and RAN (although I don’t know RANs contract situation).. Cunha and RAN are instrumental in covering most of Netos skillset. Which leaves us with an opportunity to add something a little different.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never gonna happen and we shouldn't even begin to go all FM.
It’s not football manager though is it

Neto will go 70m+

Add in the deadwood another 50m

If Kilman or Ait-Nouri goes your looking at 200m as a total.

That’s not football manager

It’s up to us then to replace that quality

With the new FFP rules people are underestimating us selling a few to get ahead of the game here. Personally What I think we should try and do then save 50m and use it for rebuilding the stadium. We are self sufficient of course we are going to sell players. (Not all)

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Neto will go 70m+

With the new FFP rules people are underestimating us selling a few to get ahead of the game here. Personally What I think we should try and do then save 50m and use it for rebuilding the stadium. We are self sufficient of course we are going to sell players. (Not all)
How much of a ground rebuild do you think £50M would get us? Precious little is the realistic answer.

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never gonna happen and we shouldn't even begin to go all FM.

It doesn't even make sense....you can't build on something good if you sell all the bits that are good. To get 200m we'd have to sell Neto, Cunha, Gomes, even one or 2 more.

It's almost inevitable Neto will go, if we can reinvest 2/3rds or even more that what he can sell him for I think that will be decent.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How much of a ground rebuild do you think £50M would get us? Precious little is the realistic answer.
Steve bull is what people want and lick of paint we was quoted 50m so with our wage bill being 40m and prem money ahead and summer sales why can’t we?

@Munich_Wolf its not about selling every player but we are self sufficient so anything we want we need to sell so Neto & 1 other could leave for example ait-nouri or semedo if no new deal. What’s important is selling players at peak price.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Neto will go 70m+

what deadwood is getting us £50m!

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Neto will go 70m+

Could be right about Nero.

Our squad is thin....name deadwood who would fetch 50M and leave us with a match days squad of 20-23 players who would be better in sum than what we have. (you said build something special not dismantle)

That is 120M - so Kilman OR RAN will then bring us another 80M?

Think you're making an awful lot of plainly wrong assumptions

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could be right about Nero.

Our squad is thin....name deadwood who would fetch 50M and leave us with a match days squad of 20-23 players who would be better in sum than what we have. (you said build something special not dismantle)

That is 120M - so Kilman OR RAN will then bring us another 80M?

Think you're making an awful lot of plainly wrong assumptions
Read above our posts dude

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sasa, Fabio, Podence, Guedes, Hodge, Chem, Hoever, Bolla…… I think that will come to about £50m
Don't think we'll even shift Fabio or Guedes, and we'd probably be lucky to get 25-30 for the lot, with Sasa fetching about 10M hopefully

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Read above our posts dude

We're just posting /writing at the same time...I'm not ignoring your posts.

I think you're being way too optimistic, selling our best players and being able to easily replace them AND improve, and remain self-sufficient.

I'll be delighted if we only sell Neto and reinvest that well in 2-3 players, and somehow manage to dump Guedes and Silva.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On selling Neto. So far, something Gary has shown is that he's very good at adapting the team with key players missing. Probably feeling starry eyed over him at the moment, but I can't think of another manager we've had whose better at doing exactly this. Neto/Cunha/Hwang, our 3 star attackers this season, haven't actually played together since October. Yet we are scoring more goals than ever in this league!

Perhaps this is partly why he was brought in? He is good at getting the team to work, so it doesn't depend on one or vital players, with a visible drop in performance if those players are injured or sold. Even with Nuno, one or two players out and we just weren't as effective.

Of course, if we sell all our best players, we will fall down the league. But on what we've seen, I think he's capable of evolving the team with the sale of Neto and maybe one other big sale. Depends on who we get in as replacements. Perhaps recruitment is being handled mainly by others, with less input from the manager? Though again, based on the the last year, our recruitment has been good (after a couple of very dodgy years).

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're just posting /writing at the same time...I'm not ignoring your posts.

I think you're being way too optimistic, selling our best players and being able to easily replace them AND improve, and remain self-sufficient.

I'll be delighted if we only sell Neto and reinvest that well in 2-3 players, and somehow manage to dump Guedes and Silva.
Mendes will want to help move his clients Guedes being one. Podence being 2. He helped & brokered the Fabio deal I’m sure Hobbs has a plan more than us

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sasa, Fabio, Podence, Guedes, Hodge, Chem, Hoever, Bolla…… I think that will come to about £50m

You are forgetting two critical things imo.

We have to want people to sign these players.

There's less money around now.

I'll have a go and rationalise, these are absolute top end for me.

Sasa £5m. Has 3 years left on his deal, but has suffered a bad injury and isn't smashing it in Germany either. May also want to leave, pushing the price down further.
Fabio £10m. Hasn't shown enough anywhere yet. I would actually keep him as I think he is wroth more to us with his potential rather than what we would get for him. Has years left, so suspect will go, but not sure if the market is there for him.
Podence £5m One year left, not even first choice in Greece so suspect he will move on for a nominal fee
Guedes £10m Saudi favour, who else could afford him?

Hodge £3m Using Giles as a barometer and accepting there's little money in that league. I don't think we sell him either.
Chem £500k who is going to pay any more and why?
Hoever £2m as above?
Bolla £1m as above

I think you are well off.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You are forgetting two critical things imo.

We have to want people to sign these players.

There's less money around now.

I'll have a go and rationalise, these are absolute top end for me.

Sasa £5m. Has 3 years left on his deal, but has suffered a bad injury and isn't smashing it in Germany either. May also want to leave, pushing the price down further.
Fabio £10m. Hasn't shown enough anywhere yet. I would actually keep him as I think he is wroth more to us with his potential rather than what we would get for him. Has years left, so suspect will go, but not sure if the market is there for him.
Podence £5m One year left, not even first choice in Greece so suspect he will move on for a nominal fee
Guedes £10m Saudi favour, who else could afford him?

Hodge £3m Using Giles as a barometer and accepting there's little money in that league. I don't think we sell him either.
Chem £500k who is going to pay any more and why?
Hoever £2m as above?
Bolla £1m as above

I think you are well off.

Maybe but we will have teams interested

Fabio 10m
Sasa 10m
Podence 10m
Guedes 15m
Hodge 2.5m
Chem 500k
Hoever 2.5m
Bolla 1.5m

Whether I’m off or not doesn’t matter getting money for them is important are people forgetting the Saudi links we already have. Anything could happen. Take off 15m still 35m which let’s be honest would be giving away our players

Last edited:

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe but we will have teams interested

Fabio 10m
Sasa 10m
Podence 10m
Guedes 15m
Hodge 2.5m
Chem 500k
Hoever 2.5m
Bolla 1.5m

Whether I’m off or not doesn’t matter getting money for them is important are people forgetting the Saudi links we already have. Anything could happen. Take off 15m still 35m which let’s be honest would be giving away our players
Podence for £10m with one year left?

we don’t want them we have to hope someone else does.

what is more important is getting them off the wage bill. Must be over £200k in the top four.

Oldskooldayz

Groupie
Reaction score
Neto will be gone no doubt, won't be mega money though like some think. Fees will get smaller now FFP is starting to be enforced and his injury record isn't great. £60M is the very most I think unless a bidding war starts.

The best possible scenario would be city wanting him and us doing a similar deal to the Nunes 1. Decent fee, promising young player for a little fee and a player from city group for a small fee. Don't think he's on city's radar though sadly.

Guedes, Podence will hopefully be off for a bit of cash (15/20M between them) and a few others like sasa and Fabio. Maybe another 1st teamer like Rayan for big money so we should have a healthy budget to replace who's left and bring another few in.

the market will be different this year, expect loads of out of favour players used to lower the fees and take awhile to kick off

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d be very disappointed if we sold any first team players except for Neto, who I think everyone accepts will leave (not that I want him to!). It’s a big summer though isn’t it. Jeff said we’ll be more free financially, so hopefully we get the depth that GON wants. I’m really intrigued to see the kind of players we go for.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d be very disappointed if we sold any first team players except for Neto, who I think everyone accepts will leave (not that I want him to!). It’s a big summer though isn’t it. Jeff said we’ll be more free financially, so hopefully we get the depth that GON wants. I’m really intrigued to see the kind of players we go for.
Yes agree ..sell Neto plus as many as we can of the players we have out on loan....spent about 60m...25m striker , 20m wide player and couple of 5/10m players .....job done......

Reaction score
How is Chiquinho doing over in Portugal? Just wondering if we have a possible potential Neto replacements in our ranks

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Podence for £10m with one year left?

we don’t want them we have to hope someone else does.

what is more important is getting them off the wage bill. Must be over £200k in the top four.
Mendes could take him to Saudi? Wage bill trimmed even more. We will be down to £35m wages soon. Buying players should not be a problem

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Beside Neto i think the only first team fringe players that are at the risk of leaving are Santiago Bueno, Bouba and maybe Hugo Bueno out on loan...Those maybe Gary choice but, the core of the group that are here will all be kept and any offers turned down if we make big money on Neto....the 13/15, key players we will be strengthend around not sold.....

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As of the summer, our squad looks like this;

GK

Sa
Bentley
King

I'd like better, but don't feel it is a priority.

Full Backs

Semedo
Doherty
RAN
Bueno

Centre Backs

Bueno
Dawson
Mosquera
Kilman
Gomes

Centre Mid

Gomes
Lemina
Traore
Doyle
Hodge

Forwards and Wide players

Bellegarde
Sarabia
Neto
Hwang
Cunha
Chiquino
Guedes
Podence

Strikers

Silva
Sasa
Fraser

This isn't including;

Hoever
Lembikisa
Lemina Jnr
Enzo
Chirewa
Bolla
Cundle

It is clear we will see one if not two come in up front, plus a Neto replacement.

Beyond that. where are the gaping holes?

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah I highly doubt Podence will go for 2m same for fabio we won’t give our players away that’s more ridiculous.
i didn’t say that. i said £5m maximum.

It’s not a case of giving out players away, there’s a reason they’ve been loaned and not sold, there’s potentially not the market for them. it isn’t a computer game.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i didn’t say that. i said £5m maximum.

It’s not a case of giving out players away, there’s a reason they’ve been loaned and not sold, there’s potentially not the market for them. it isn’t a computer game.
Summer window is very different to a January window. They are currently in the shop window…..

Fabio for 5m would make us look stupid. More likely he will be loaned if that was the reality let’s be honest. He’s still very young. Podence he’s done well on loan I think he might have interest. Time will tell. The more money we get the better. Selling the likes of Kilman, Ait-Nouri and Neto is more realistic all will fetch huge money. FFP will be a thing of the past. Let’s hope Mendes helps us!!

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Summer window is very different to a January window. They are currently in the shop window…..

Fabio for 5m would make us look stupid. More likely he will be loaned if that was the reality let’s be honest. He’s still very young. Podence he’s done well on loan I think he might have interest. Time will tell. The more money we get the better. Selling the likes of Kilman, Ait-Nouri and Neto is more realistic all will fetch huge money. FFP will be a thing of the past. Let’s hope Mendes helps us!!
I haven't said 5m for Silva either. You are seeing things that arent there.

If we sell Ki;man, RAN and Neto I would be fuming and very surprised.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Beside Neto i think the only first team fringe players that are at the risk of leaving are Santiago Bueno, Bouba and maybe Hugo Bueno out on loan...Those maybe Gary choice but, the core of the group that are here will all be kept and any offers turned down if we make big money on Neto....the 13/15, key players we will be strengthend around not sold.....
I could envisage both Doherty and Dawson being put out to pasture in the Champ this summer. Don't know why there's so much negativity about Bouba - like Bellegarde he's hardly been given a chance to establish himself.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I could envisage both Doherty and Dawson being put out to pasture in the Champ this summer. Don't know why there's so much negativity about Bouba - like Bellegarde he's hardly been given a chance to establish himself.
Think both will remain Doherty n Dawson..... experienced group...

I only mentioned bouba cause O'Neil doesn't seem to fancy him that's all....he may want something different or when we get the forwards he is after he may just use Bellegarde in midfield....where he was brought for .....

Redrockwanderer

Reaction score
I know you aren't suggesting we will sign Toney per se, but we won't, just in case that was your thought process....

Neto is the obvious one, bought very cheaply, third highest assists in the league and has vocally put himself out there potentially. From an FFP POV, I believe this one helps us the most?

@Mugwump makes an excellent point on another thread, we very well may see a reduction in fees being paid now so £60m I think would see him go. Saka might be valued at double that, but that's because Arsenal don't need to sell so can inflate the price accordingly.

Cunha may have suitors for sure, but as we bought him for £40m I think it would take almost double that to sell.

RAN is an interesting one, he had personal issues that were alluded to, but he's now fit, happy and consistent. Again, I think you are talking £40m for us to be interested in selling. and I don't think the market is there for a young LWB

These assumptions are all based on us not needing to sell of course.
His personal issues I’ve heard were with Lop… he’s enjoying his football and happy to stay currently.

Back
Top Bottom