Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Can we discuss Hobbs ?

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
  • "Now: "It's more important to find the perfect player for us, not the perfect player for someone else"
Great swipe at Mendes
That's a swipe at the previous recruitment team. They pulled the trigger on signings, not Mendes, and if Mendes was making football decisions on behalf of Wolves then the blame lies solely with Jeff Shi.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Apart from rewarding Gary O'Neil with an improved contract, Matt Hobb's said something which caught my attention.. Matt wants Wolves to be "self-sustainable" on the pitch, so any investment from owners Fosun can go into the stadium or training ground. Good to hear!

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apart from rewarding Gary O'Neil with an improved contract, Matt Hobb's said something which caught my attention.. Matt wants Wolves to be "self-sustainable" on the pitch, so any investment from owners Fosun can go into the stadium or training ground. Good to hear!
Big one is not wanting to sell two starters searhcing for the next gomes or kilman and searching for buyers for podence and silva

Goldfinger

Reaction score
The new contract makes sense. I heard from a fairly trustworthy source last month that West Ham had made an 'informal' approach and that Brighton have O'Neil on their shortlist to replace De Zerbi if he goes to Man United.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
obbs says Wolves are "not in a position where we have to sell" and that he does not want to "sell more than two starters".

He added: "But if big clubs come I've never been the person to stand in someone's way as long as we can reinvest in the right way to move forward.

"We're always looking to improve and we have the ability to turn down big offers, but every player has their number as well."

Hobbs says he wants Wolves to be "self-sustainable" on the pitch so that any investment from owners Fosun can go into the stadium or training ground.

"Gary came knowing exactly what the situation was," said Hobbs.

"I expect him to push. It is human nature to say 'we are doing well, come on, give me something'. I am thinking 'he has done a good job, I would like to give him something'.

"But then you end up back in the cycle. You have to be honest and stick to it."

Wolves avoided a Premier League charge for this year's accounts and believe they will do so again for their 2023-24 accounts.

However, Everton and Nottingham Forest both face hearings this month, with Everton having already been deducted six points on appeal for a separate spending breach.

"I have to put faith in the Premier League that they will manage what they need to manage," Hobbs added.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Big one is not wanting to sell two starters searhcing for the next gomes or kilman and searching for buyers for podence and silva
Absolutely. We need to keep our regular starters and sell our non starters to claw money back we have lost buying them.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
obbs says Wolves are "not in a position where we have to sell" and that he does not want to "sell more than two starters".

He added: "But if big clubs come I've never been the person to stand in someone's way as long as we can reinvest in the right way to move forward.

"We're always looking to improve and we have the ability to turn down big offers, but every player has their number as well."

Hobbs says he wants Wolves to be "self-sustainable" on the pitch so that any investment from owners Fosun can go into the stadium or training ground.

"I expect him to push. It is human nature to say 'we are doing well, come on, give me something'. I am thinking 'he has done a good job, I would like to give him something'.

Wolves avoided a Premier League charge for this year's accounts and believe they will do so again for their 2023-24 accounts.

However, Everton and Nottingham Forest both face hearings this month, with Everton having already been deducted six points on appeal for a separate spending breach.

"I have to put faith in the Premier League that they will manage what they need to manage," Hobbs added.
Another summer of austerity is looming. They have to be careful because eventually their luck will run out.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The danger of selling too many of the 'stars' you can end like Saints fc with a general drift down the Premier league.
I think even Brighton ,even with injuries, starting to show the limits of that policy.
Obviously Neto leaves hopefully not Gomes.
Interestingly talk of fosun funds redirected to stadium is a bonus.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

it wont be just us. it will drive transfer fees down and possibly wages

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very coherent as always from Hobbs. I shudder to think what Jeff would have said in a similar interview.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i doubt we will get mega money for neto. he has a bad injury record. prices must drop - i dont think january is a blip. he may well stay

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very sensible and prudent stuff from Hobbs, as we’ve come to expect now. Calm and proactive, rather than emotional and reactive.

It’s probably a matter of time before his head potentially gets turned by a top six club, but let’s enjoy it while it lasts.

Looking forward to seeing where he can take this team in the summer. I have a feeling he knows exactly where we need to improve and he’s well ahead of the curve in terms of identifying targets.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be interesting to see how the club handle this.
Both are ageing a little (30 and 31 ?) both on big money, but both delivering excellent performances. Cash in or keep...?
I think they’ll keep them and let them both run their contracts down. Sarabia didn’t cost much in the first place and Semedo re-sale value isn’t as much as he’s worth to us for a season. I’m sure both would be offered new contracts on vastly reduced rates and I’m sure both of them wouldn’t sign one!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Since Hobbs has been here we've added Cunha, Dawson, Lemina, João Gomes, Boubs, Sarabia, Doyle and Santi Bueno. That's a hell of a hit rate for a club also turning a big transfer profit and cutting the wage bill. O'Neil has got the best out of them too of course.

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Since Hobbs has been here we've added Cunha, Dawson, Lemina, João Gomes, Boubs, Sarabia, Doyle and Santi Bueno. That's a hell of a hit rate for a club also turning a big transfer profit and cutting the wage bill. O'Neil has got the best out of them too of course.
Don't forget Tom King.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The danger of selling too many of the 'stars' you can end like Saints fc with a general drift down the Premier league.
I think even Brighton ,even with injuries, starting to show the limits of that policy.
Obviously Neto leaves hopefully not Gomes.
Interestingly talk of fosun funds redirected to stadium is a bonus.
Sa is going, Neto obvs, and poss one more…
I’m thinking a surprise departure due to a huge offer, Kilman, Ait Nouri or Gomes, maybe even Cunha.
It’s the ‘one more’ that unsettles me as Neto is a shoe in for going and I wouldn’t cry if Sa went.

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score
The new contract makes sense. I heard from a fairly trustworthy source last month that West Ham had made an 'informal' approach and that Brighton have O'Neil on their shortlist to replace De Zerbi if he goes to Man United.
Yes could imagine him at Brighton and obviously West Ham.

WolvesinBrum

Groupie
Reaction score
That's a swipe at the previous recruitment team. They pulled the trigger on signings, not Mendes, and if Mendes was making football decisions on behalf of Wolves then the blame lies solely with Jeff Shi.
Yes, and there was precious little due diligence - not going through Hobbs' recruitment team.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great news for Gary. No update on Semedo though probably on his bike unfortunately big wages

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Don't know much about Hobbs, and I don't know how I feel about Sporting Directors or a Director of Football, but giving the manager a new deal puts him in my good books.

Can anyone tell me who actually signs our players and does deals? Does O'Neil have a say in transfers?

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think they’ll keep them and let them both run their contracts down. Sarabia didn’t cost much in the first place and Semedo re-sale value isn’t as much as he’s worth to us for a season. I’m sure both would be offered new contracts on vastly reduced rates and I’m sure both of them wouldn’t sign one!
I can't see Hobbs let those two players go on a free with their talent either extend further or sell.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great news for Gary. No update on Semedo though probably on his bike unfortunately big wages
The one way we can add more goals is wing backs with better attacking output. This season, Semedo has 1 assist and RAN has 1 assist, and no goals between them. Leverkusen who also play in a five (ironic to praise them given tonight) have Grimaldo with 9 goals and 9 assists, and Frimpong with 8 goals and 6 assists.

We could be lining up Rodrigo Gomes as a more attacking (and prolific) alternative to Semedo. While I doubt he'd be cheap, we'd make some of that back up from the reduction in wages.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The one way we can add more goals is wing backs with better attacking output. This season, Semedo has 1 assist and RAN has 1 assist, and no goals between them. Leverkusen who also play in a five (ironic to praise them given tonight) have Grimaldo with 9 goals and 9 assists, and Frimpong with 8 goals and 6 assists.

We could be lining up Rodrigo Gomes as a more attacking (and prolific) alternative to Semedo. While I doubt he'd be cheap, we'd make some of that back up from the reduction in wages.
Interesting. Strong wing backs was key to our success under nuno

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another summer of austerity is looming. They have to be careful because eventually their luck will run out.

Not necessarily, it depends how much income we generate. I guess the plan will be to replace Neto and one from RAN/Bueno with about 3 or 4 players at the right price and wage demands.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are bracing ourselves for big bids on Neto & Ait-Nouri

I think we could see Kilman or Semedo go because they would be cheaper than the two mentioned above. One big sale ever summer to fund the club isn’t a bad situation. It’s how you use the money

£70m for Neto and one other name of ours. Who knows chelsea might offer 100m for Cunha after his hatrick lol

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't know much about Hobbs, and I don't know how I feel about Sporting Directors or a Director of Football, but giving the manager a new deal puts him in my good books.

Can anyone tell me who actually signs our players and does deals? Does O'Neil have a say in transfers?
He'll have input, but he's a coach not a manager.

Back
Top Bottom