Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

BURY are No longer an EFL Club

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Thought it had come down to brinkmanship, but in the end I suspect there were so many dodgy deals like the carpark lease I linked elsewhere that nobody would touch it. Hopefully liquidators will sell the ground to some sort of supporters consortium

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Feel very sorry for the fans. They thought they were saved, only to have their hopes dashed at the last minute.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spineless *******s the EFL - they've expelled the wrong club
They’ve expelled the right club, Bury’s situation has been far worse than Bolton’s. At least Bolton made an effort to cooperate with the EFL and play their fixtures. Bury, or more specifically their owner, was creating a farcical situation that was affecting the rest of the league.

Tomcat

Groupie
Reaction score
Although I feel for the fans, the efl had no option to expel Bury if they were to retain any respect or credibility & wouldn't be surprised or bothered too see Bolton go the same way. The good thing is it will act as a deterrent against irresponsible overspending by other clubs in future & give a huge opportunity to 2 national league clubs to make the step up next year.
If either club get their act together in future they can always try to work their way back up.

Last edited:

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Awful news. I feel so so sorry for their fans. When you break up with someone special your mates say there's plenty more fish in the sea etc, and although that's painful and annoying sometimes... In the case of your football club, your first love is your only love. Hope they reform and come back.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Awful news. I feel so so sorry for their fans. When you break up with someone special your mates say there's plenty more fish in the sea etc, and although that's painful and annoying sometimes... In the case of your football club, your first love is your only love. Hope they reform and come back.
Just a point of note, they haven’t gone bust, just expelled from the league. The next step for the fans will be to take control of the club and find a league to enter next year (most likely the North West Counties League) along with creating a sustainable business model.

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A very sad , shameful day in the history of English football . So many of our current fan base have absolutely no idea how close we came to being extinct in the 80's . Imagine having no club to support - shocking .
Feel desperately sad for all their supporters and the town itself . Would love Wolves to play them in the near future to help raise funds and send them some U23 players to help them get back through the leagues ( I know we had players up there recently ) .

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Although I feel for the fans, the efl had no option to expel Bury if they were to retain any respect or credibility & wouldn't be surprised or bothered too see Bolton go the same way.

What credibility did the RFL have to lose?

The fact they let such people as Steve Dale own clubs in the first place means they have no credibility

The Fat Bloke

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t understand why a club like UTD cannot fund Bury and blood all their kids.

A few million in their scheme of things and a club could be saved.

If not UNITED, any big club.

The Fat Bloke

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why should they??
It sets an appalling standard to clubs to just crack on, don't worry about the consequences be sure a "big boy" will just step in and save the day
I suppose, but surely there are clever investors out there that could save Bury, and with the money in the Premier league it’s crazy really.

What is their debt, 2 million or something?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose, but surely there are clever investors out there that could save Bury, and with the money in the Premier league it’s crazy really.

What is their debt, 2 million or something?
Because buying a football club is a sucker’s game.....compared to investing your money in something with with a smaller return like food, services or whatever but safe.
And the abuse fans might heap on you.....eg, Newcastle. They all think you should keep ploughing good money after bad. Read the threads on the Mix regarding ticket increases......many on here think they are entitled to no increases.
Football is a business and it’s very risky.

Autistic Kangaroo

Reaction score
Sad day for football. The Bury fans have just had their heart ripped out and a town has lost its sporting soul.

I’m upset for them

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With all the money sloshing around the pockets of PL players, a few could have banded together a bought Bury FC without even making a dent in their collective earnings

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
give a huge opportunity to 2 national league clubs to make the step up next year.

I can’t see the EFL promoting extra clubs from the conference, wouldn’t the most likely scenario be that only one team gets relegated from league 2?

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Terrible news, trying to remember the last time was that a club was expelled from the league like this?

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Read the threads on the Mix regarding ticket increases......many on here think they are entitled to no increases.
No, some on here like myself on here feel Football has become too expensive and find it difficult to justify £40 when players are being paid 10s of thousands of pounds a week.

It’s the fans I feel sorry for at Bury, yet you seem to be the only one expressing sympathy to the owners, seems to me you’re on a wind up!

I’ll be at Molineux on Thursday, paying what I think is a good price for Football.

L

Lowveld Wolf

Sad for the Bury fans but the EFL had no choice. As others have said, they can still re-form and work their way back as Wimbledon did after their owners moved the club to Milton Keynes.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, some on here like myself on here feel Football has become too expensive and find it difficult to justify £40 when players are being paid 10s of thousands of pounds a week.

It’s the fans I feel sorry for at Bury, yet you seem to be the only one expressing sympathy to the owners, seems to me you’re on a wind up!

I’ll be at Molineux on Thursday, paying what I think is a good price for Football.
Ok...first....I agree with most of what you say.
Yes it bloody well is expensive.....all sports are. Regardless of the sport, how do you think they are all loaded?...that’s a no brainer. So are movies yet the stars are paid millions of dollars for 4 months work. Of course I know it’s expensive. 20 years ago my 14 year old son wanted a Vancouver Canucks shirt for about $115..... it was his money (that’s about all he had), and his decision but I convinced him to think about it. But it wasn’t easy.....lol....now he is a dad...lol.

And who doesn’t feel sorry for the Bury fans and the town? We were so close too! This is terrible.

I showed not the slightest sympathy for the owners....I actually think from the little bit I know, the current owner was, well, shall we say, kinda suspect or at least his intentions seemed to be.

And last but not least, I don’t do wind up.....that’s for little sissies or immature men.

If my post was not clear on how I really feel, sorry. Ok?:)

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t understand why a club like UTD cannot fund Bury and blood all their kids.

A few million in their scheme of things and a club could be saved.

If not UNITED, any big club.
Surely that’d just make them Utd’s u23s or B team which isn’t what the vast majority of people want to happen in the FL.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With all the money sloshing around the pockets of PL players, a few could have banded together a bought Bury FC without even making a dent in their collective earnings
My thoughts exactly.....they could have lent bury the money, and been shareholders.
I wonder what the weekly wage bill at city and United combined is compared to the money needed to save bury was?

C

ChesterWolf

Why should they??
It sets an appalling standard to clubs to just crack on, don't worry about the consequences be sure a "big boy" will just step in and save the day

Also incredibly unfair on those clubs that operate within their means, usually meaning they can’t compete with clubs like Bury who run up debts spending money they haven’t got.

I don’t quite understand why everyone is so bothered anyway. Clubs have gone out of business in the past and don’t ever remember this kind of reaction.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's surprising when you consider how many multi-millionaire retired footballers there must be in the country that few put anything back into the game in terms of investment and not simply flag-waving support via charity efforts etc. If anything it's quite the reverse, with as many as possible grabbing jobs connected with the game, enabling them to continue piling their loot even higher.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also incredibly unfair on those clubs that operate within their means, usually meaning they can’t compete with clubs like Bury who run up debts spending money they haven’t got.

I don’t quite understand why everyone is so bothered anyway. Clubs have gone out of business in the past and don’t ever remember this kind of reaction.
This. It’s sad for the fans, but whilst clubs like Bury kept buying players they couldn’t afford, other clubs with less history, the likes of Burton, Stevenage, Crawley, etc. invested in becoming sustainable and building their club infrastructure so they can support professional football.

Back
Top Bottom