Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Burnley wasted at least 5-10 minutes through obvious slow play

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think personally in order to get upset about time wasting we have to have a shot on target before the 89th minute.
Burnley are a good team that play the cards they are dealt. We should be good enough to firstly avoid them adopting the game plan in the first place by being quick with the ball creating chances and not being done by a long ball
Won’t be the last time we see these tactics. Ref was poor though that I agree with
Football in general could be improved by less time wasting. I've had an idea, rather than GK's placing the ball two, three or four times for one goal kick, have designated goal kick spots. The keeper is the only one who can place the ball and he's given just one placement.

R

reanswolf

Lost count of the number of times Pawson beckoned Pope to get on with it. But he never took any action.

Burnley used every trick in the book from the 13th minute and it needed a strong ref to clamp down on it.

I reckon there was 20 minutes of time wasting yesterday.
During one break in play (a water drinks break I think) the ref actually went over to Pope and spoke to him for about a minute, presumably about his time-wasting. But made no difference.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you analysed the time when the ball is actually in play,then you would find that most games only really go on for an hour at best,the rest is time wasted for goal kicks and throw ins etc
Its not just Burnley,ive seen us do it plenty of times,maybe not so early or blatantly, but we do it,as does every club in the land
Its easy to moan on about it,when they played us off the park for most of the game, and should have won by 3 goals at least
Everyone is saying they are hoof ballers,they are not,they are drilled to play a certain way, which involves long balls in behind defenders,we couldn't cope with it yesterday and got lucky
You only have to listen to Nuno after the game to know we struggled, and got out of jail in the 97th minute,no amount of moaning at the Ref or opposition will alter that,whether its true or not,we were awful,and Nuno got things very wrong yesterday
We praise him and the team when they play well,so they have to accept the flak when it goes wrong,and it was very poor all round yesterday
So we move on,lets hope its better Thursday,or we may have an even bigger meltdown lol

The Bear

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd also like to know how a ref calculates and adds up any added time. He doesn't seem to do anything other than point at his watch suggesting he's adding it on. So what, is he doing it all in his head? If so that's crap.

He should have two watches. One with the match clock, and the second a stopwatch that he starts when he wants to add some time on and stops again when play resumes. He does this for subs as well by starting the stopwatch as soon as the player coming off starts walking.

Then at the end of the half he looks at that stopwatch and the time showing is the total time he adds on. It really isn't rocket science and I'd love to read how they ACTUALLY do it now.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dyche is a hypocritical ****er.

He spent the entire time on the touchline remonstrating to the ref and fourth official constantly trying to get our players booked whilst his players regularly surrounded the referee and time wasted on the field.

Trying to portray himself as an honest Mick when in reality he’s a Colin.

It’s his hypocrisy that winds me up more than the actual tactics.

Padraig

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He spent the entire time on the touchline remonstrating to the ref and fourth official constantly trying to get our players booked whilst his players regularly surrounded the referee and time wasted on the field.

Wears a tie to make himself look cultured. Bell end.

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
I don't blame Burnley for doing what they did at all, if anything direct your anger towards the referee for allowing it to happen. The first time I noticed them timewasting was the 16th minute, so for them to go 75 minutes pretty much using the same tactic and to not get at least one booking, that's utterly pathetic. Tapping your watch or waving your arm for them to get on with it does absolutely nothing. I felt generally the ref looked like he didn't want to be there, his body language was shocking.

Hereford Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Can't agree more. Vile man.

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score

At one point yesterday, Jonny 'bought' a free kick on the touchline after getting nudged from behind, Dyche went furious and waved his arms around, and eventually he sarcastically clapped the referee. 5 minutes later one of his players did it and he applauded them and patted them on the back.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I felt generally the ref looked like he didn't want to be there, his body language was shocking.

Pawson is a poseur who likes to be the centre of attention. Obviously that's impossible when he's refereeing Wolves vs Burnley as the MSM are only going to give the game fleeting attention at best (and don't forget that whilst our game was on, Spurs vs Toon was showing on Sky), so it was just a chore for him to turn out for our game yesterday. He really doesn't care about doing the right thing by small clubs like Wolves: he's only interested in sucking up to big clubs and their media cheerleaders (cf. his over-the-top sending off of Boly at Man City last season, which completely ruined the match as a contest).

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What? some of you wanted another 20 minutes of that ****.
Tbh if they hadnt wasted so much time, especially in the first half, they could have been 2 up at half time, as i could only see 1 side scoring.

D

Deleted member 4152

Before I make this point, I do understand that Burnley are not fortunate to have wealthy owners like we have, though someone rightly pointed out that the turnovers of the 2 clubs last season was not much different. We also have no divine right to beat them like some of our fans seemed to think, they are extremely well-drilled and when they played football, although direct, it was certainly effective and scary - they should have been 2 up at least at half-time.

So lets me make it clear its none of that which ruined the game.

But to hear Shaun Dyche (who has worked wonders as manager at Burnley) talk of not liking Raul's purposeful attempt to get a penalty after the game, as though it was poor sportsmanship, really got my goat.

Purely because his Burnley team clearly had a drilled policy of slowing the game from as early as the 13th minute. Whether it be letting the ball role under a players feet when someone had a throw-in or free-kick, or tapping it further away from a Wolves player, to walking at snails pace to take a throw in or free kick, to walking off the pitch when subbed at snails pace when he should take the shortest route, every opportunity it was just constant...........it reminded me of stop-starting on the M6 around junction 10 for 90 minutes. The frustration of yesterday was just like that feeling when you are driving.............deeply uncomfortable and unenjoyable.

Worst offender of all was their keeper, every single time he got the ball he must have taken 15-20 seconds, fiddling around, hesitating, over-deliberating.

So I'm gonna contradict myself, because on the one hand I know the policy worked and I've rarely seen such a frustrated home crowd, but it took the sting and sucked any semblance of life out of the game for the wrong reasons. Ok they certainly aren't the first team to use this spoiling tactic, but rarely have I seen it used so early in a game, and so obviously. I don't think I have ever seen a Wolves side play like that, despite us being a poor side for many years prior to Fosun.

Oh boy was it a difficult game of football to watch, Burnley played well, scored a fantastic goal, defended superbly and always looked dangerous on the break, but that policy of slowing things, so obviously a policy worked devised by and encouraged by Dyche, was as bad as anything I have seen for a long time.

But again, I sound like a spoilt-brat on the one hand I know (Burnley fans will understandably say this), but football is about enjoyment, and watching the game yesterday felt the same as having every single stop-in-play or decision............every free-kick, throw-in, goal-kick delayed by VAR. Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Every goal kick, he placed it as if to pass to a defender short, then change his mind to kick it long. Meaning he picked the ball up and replace it. Every time. Karma is a bitch.

Lawley Wolf

Reaction score
Controversial I know - But next step in making the game just and fair by taking out terrible terrible referring oversights. Clock only counting when ball is in play. My same opinion on VAR I want the game to be as fair as possible , it’s what the players train for and I watch it for the skill or the team/player not to get annoyed at cheating or referees

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What surprised me was how early the time wasting started, they were on top by a long way and if they'd gone for it, would probably have blown us away as we were all over the place, anyway came back to bite em in the ar*e

D

Deleted member 3751

It wasn't long into the game that I started looking at the big screen every time they had a goal kick or a stoppage. No goal kicks were taken in less than 20s, throw ins were similar, the engineered drinks break in the second half started at 63:30 and play resumed on 66:30. Dyche can **** off, a game of football is supposed to be a game of football for 90 minutes, we could easily have had five minutes extra at the end of the first half and ten at the end of the second and it would have absolutely been warranted. Obviously a huge amount of blame has to go to the ref though, keep waving at the keeper to kick it, well after a couple of times he should have waved a yellow card, it was clear to 30000 people they were time wasting as much as they could, ref just allowed it though

thetwistedsock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It wasn't long into the game that I started looking at the big screen every time they had a goal kick or a stoppage. No goal kicks were taken in less than 20s, throw ins were similar, the engineered drinks break in the second half started at 63:30 and play resumed on 66:30. Dyche can **** off, a game of football is supposed to be a game of football for 90 minutes, we could easily have had five minutes extra at the end of the first half and ten at the end of the second and it would have absolutely been warranted. Obviously a huge amount of blame has to go to the ref though, keep waving at the keeper to kick it, well after a couple of times he should have waved a yellow card, it was clear to 30000 people they were time wasting as much as they could, ref just allowed it though
What about that dick splash who walked towards the corner looking like he was going to take the kick, then deviated to a water bottle and didn't take the corner? The corner between the South Bank and Steve Bull.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you thought watching Burnley was bad...spare a thought....I went to see Plymouth vs Walsall on Saturday.....my God Walsall were ****e !

D

Deleted member 4023

Controversial I know - But next step in making the game just and fair by taking out terrible terrible referring oversights. Clock only counting when ball is in play. My same opinion on VAR I want the game to be as fair as possible , it’s what the players train for and I watch it for the skill or the team/player not to get annoyed at cheating or referees

Its been suggested for years Lawley - 2 x 30 min halves, with the clock stopped like the NFL when the ball not in play

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't understand teams like Burnley, never have.

They are tight, compact, well drilled and one their day, can give anyone a game.

But they've never got past the 5th round in any cup since they've been in the Premier League.

So what are they playing for?

Albion were the same when they saw a run of 8 consecutive top-flight seasons as a mark of success.

Just not entertaining and pointless.

binners

Reaction score
The six second rule should be applied all the time regarding the keepers handling the ball. How many times do we see them take a cross and go the ground with no ones around them, lay there for 10 seconds get up and wander to edge of the area before releasing. Keepers can take away 10 minutes per game and it’s time it was stopped

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you thought watching Burnley was bad...spare a thought....I went to see Plymouth vs Walsall on Saturday.....my God Walsall were ****e !
Watched Preston v Stoke on Sky last week. Stoke... wow, they were shocking. Surprised Nathan Jones is still their manager.

Also found it hilarious, naturally.

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What about that dick splash who walked towards the corner looking like he was going to take the kick, then deviated to a water bottle and didn't take the corner? The corner between the South Bank and Steve Bull.
That really wound me up. I think it was their no. 11 and, as you say, he walked towards the corner as if to take the kick taking the tiniest steps imaginable and took an age and then changed his direction at the last moment to pick up a water bottle and take a drink. Supporters were yelling to him to get a move on and he smirked and walked back onto the pitch to let another player take the corner. And this was the first half!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** off.

Pay to support the club not watch entertainment you daft ****

We need to get rid of people who think wolves is entertainment
My God, the Lambert and Mick Mc fan club reemerge! Let's have a small hardcore of masochists rather than people who actually want to be entertained! Or perhaps those from the dark ages should have damn well stayed there!

B

Benson

just saying...

20-25 percent of the added time was wasted.. waiting for three Bennett throw ins. (27+22+15 seconds - yes, I checked it when watching a replay of the game).

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ref was to blame. From the moment they scored the goal he let them get away with it. Pope should have been booked by the 20 minute mark.

Can't blame Burnley for trying it on because it's the ref's job to hand out cards and add the time on. He did neither.

wolvesdb

Groupie
Reaction score
Luckily for Burnley the referee played right into their hands, weak weak man.

The thing is, whilst I didn't enjoy watching Burnley time waste, I also am inclined to think if the referee was going to let them get away with it, (and he did) why wouldn't they do it.

It was all very well occassionally pointing to his watch, a yellow card would have been more effective.

R

reanswolf

Ref was to blame. From the moment they scored the goal he let them get away with it. Pope should have been booked by the 20 minute mark.

Can't blame Burnley for trying it on because it's the ref's job to hand out cards and add the time on. He did neither.
Thing is when they tried to play they were better than us on Sunday.
So in a way, their own slow time-wasting only hurt themselves.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This is the sad bit, yes. They were playing well, had the upper hand, but had that tunnel vision for gamesmanship that has been instilled by Dyche.

If we were to go 1-0 up against Everton after a quarter of an hour and then spent 75 minutes dyching around with silly, time-wasting goal kicks and throw ins instead of concentrating on getting a second, I'd be fuming. It wouldn't be funny or clever. Can you imagine having to support a club week after week whose ambition was limited to getting a goal and then fannying around for over an hour? Soul destroying.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last few weeks i have really gone off Dyche his hypocrisy is really annoying.

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I did wonder after the game why they started time wasting so early, they had us on the ropes and if they had gone all out for a second goal in the first half, I believe they would of got it. Dont understand being so negative and wasting time when you are on top and could kill the game with another goal.

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
why have a go at the ref? he is the reason why we were still on the pitch after 95 minutes allowing us to be in the position to score

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
why have a go at the ref? he is the reason why we were still on the pitch after 95 minutes allowing us to be in the position to score

Because 5 mins was the bare minimum. Less than. If he was doing his job, Adama could have had another 5 minutes to run at their scared, multiple yellow defence.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Burnley did time waste from very early on, however I did feel they were managing to tread the line just enough to be allowed to get away with it.

2 seasons ago, home v Cardiff......... now that was utterly disgraceful cheating and the ref was an utter weak imbecile to let them so blatantly do it. He never even booked the keeper, who I could only assume, had instructed his own family to bet heavily on him picking up a yellow card.

(Next game Ruddy got booked for once doing less than what the Burnley keeper did all game)

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Towards the end of the game when the SB started counting the time it took for the goalkeeper to take the goalkick. We need more of that

S

ShropshireLad

Burnley got what they deserved, a goal into time added on to "added on time" for their time wasting. However, I don't go along with the view that they played **** football. I thought it was a good match with a disappointing result until the pen which came as a sweetener. :)

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Burnley got what they deserved, a goal into time added on to "added on time" for their time wasting. However, I don't go along with the view that they played **** football. I thought it was a good match with a disappointing result until the pen which came as a sweetener. :)
I thought it was a terrible match. Didn’t enjoy it at all.

I agree about it being justice that all their time wasting got us enough time to score, don’t always happen. I remember we played Burton at Molineux a couple of years ago, when Zenga was boss. They time wasted pretty much from kick off. Horrible scummy team. Anyway we went 1-0 up wit about 10 minutes to go, thought brilliant, then the ref adds six minutes on at the end, all their cheating, and they only went and equalised. Unfair. Never liked them since that, was delighted when City clattered them 9-0

S

ShropshireLad

I thought it was a terrible match. Didn’t enjoy it at all.

I agree about it being justice that all their time wasting got us enough time to score, don’t always happen. I remember we played Burton at Molineux a couple of years ago, when Zenga was boss. They time wasted pretty much from kick off. Horrible scummy team. Anyway we went 1-0 up wit about 10 minutes to go, thought brilliant, then the ref adds six minutes on at the end, all their cheating, and they only went and equalised. Unfair. Never liked them since that, was delighted when City clattered them 9-0
I was there as well, Jade. That was REALLY annoying.

Anyhow, sorry that you didn't enjoy the game. It was frustrating and we were well bellow par but I loved the courage we showed in the second half, was really pleased that Traore made a difference, liked what I saw of Neto but pity about the mix-up on the edge of their box, getting an equaliser is always better than conceding second in a score-draw, scoring at the death came as a sweetener and I went home happy having had a good day out. :)

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Essentially it is good that Burnley wasted a lot of time as without this we would not have got our last minute equaliser.
Fortunately the ref added a fair bit of extra time.... :):)

Back
Top Bottom