Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Burnley Verdict

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Could have won, could have lost. If only RAN had put away that one on one chance early in the second half. For those on the commentary thread questioning the players attitude or heart, I'm not sure what you've been watching for the rest of the season. Their attitude can't be questioned.

Think they're just absolutely knackered at the moment. Missing four forwards doesn't just curtail our attacking ability, it also puts far more pressure on our defence and midfield who have to work a lot harder. We've also used a lot of kids, it's draining for them. Hopefully with Cunha back and Hwang not too far away, performances will improve. We really miss Dawson too. This is a sticky patch and regardless what you think of our ownership/ strategy, this team deserves us to support them through it.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kudos GON
Shrewd thinking
Understands that it is essential for top six sides to pick up points when playing s***, and so is starting to prepare us for next season by drilling it into us.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Take a point, not brilliant but we never win at Burnley, Lemina was unlucky and RAN should've scored again.

Chiwome had a good game, Sa MOTD by a mile.

On a side note, I'm quite pleased we haven't got to play Burnley again this year both times the love in for Burnley (probably more so Kompany) has been unbearable spent a lot more than the other promoted teams and seems to avoid any sort of criticism from the media.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Fairly open and entertaining game but a missed opportunity for both sides. They probably shaded it overall but RAN had the clearest chance. Frustratingly sloppy with our passing when we had the chance to break. Wasn’t any lack of heart or effort, just tired legs and poor execution.

Thought Sa did well. One excellent reaction save in particular from a deflected shot. Doc and Hugo Bueno had tough nights and Joao Gomes in particular looked tired.

The sort of game we probably need to be winning to make Europe but not the worst point given our current forward options. Speaking of which, thought Chiwome did ok again and great to see Cunha back.

Sa 8
Semedo 6 (loses a mark for the goal)
Kilman 6
Toti 6
Doherty 5
Gomes 6
Lemina 6
H Bueno 5
RAN 7
Sarabia 6 (extra point for the assist)
Chiwome 6

With Cunha back and Dawson and Hwang getting closer, a win on Saturday would make the European race interesting.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No two ways about it we were poor tonight. Injuries go a long way in defence of the performance but even so we should be better than a really poor Burnley team. I always look for positives so Cunha’s return, a point and hopefully a reminder to Jeff & Co that without our best players we’re not far off being a relegation bound team. Please support GON in the summer and prevent injuries causing so much havoc.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Burnley just edged proceedings, but that was to be expected really. We look low on energy and confidence, especially in the final third, and they're fighting for their lives. I would have taken a point before the game.

Semedo was at fault for their goal but was Ok otherwise. Liked the performances from Gomes, Sa and RAN. At the other end of the spectrum not sure what to make of Bouby. Doherty was dreadful IMHO. Not Sarabia's best game but without him we lose that game.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought it was an acceptable performance. They were the better team in terms of general play but we edged it in terms of chances.

Semedo was very good, but partly culpable for the goal.
Ait-Nouri was very good, but simply can't miss the chance he did. However, I would persist with him in the forward positions as if it does click we could have a hell of a player on our hands.

Chiwome did okay, certainly looks to have something about him, but also not yet ready.

The real disappointment right now is Sarabia. With others injured around him, we needed him to step up, but he's got a lot worse.
Lemina isn't much better, was a poor performance from him, although fantastic header that nearly won it.

Cunha was bright when he came on.

Jose Sa was excellent and it still baffles me that he is so underappreciated by our support.

On the basis we need to win games to get Europe, and finishing 9th or 13th makes no difference to me, that is a massive missed opportunity, and I expect our season to effectively end on Saturday when this side loses to West Ham.

Such a shame and can't help but think what might've been. With an acceptable squad we're in the semi-final of an FA Cup and we have two more points tonight.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought the tactics were all over the shop first half. I believe that Burnley goal came from confusion of suddenly defending with 6 at the back off the ball.

Not sure why Doyle didn't come on either with the amount of unforced errors we did on the ball at least he'd of kept composure.

Surely N.Lemina would have been a better option than B.traore in those positions he got himself into...

Be good to get Jean back and Dawson.

Next...

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON having a bit of a pop. Club were warned by GON and Hobbs that squad was being overloaded and we were thin on forwards so injuries could be a problem. Club weren’t in a position to move in January

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Up there with the worst overall performances of the season.

Like the look of Chiwome, think he'd benefit from playing alongside Cunha. Should have scored if RAN squared it.

Sa MotM by a country mile.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The lad up front really struggled. It's a baptism of fire for all of them - Chirewa, Fraser, Chiwome. None of them should be in this position. It's unfortunate. Even Silva would have offered more. Impossible to predict four injuries to four forwards, but hopefully Cunha can start on Saturday after the run-out tonight.

Thought RAN was superb, Gomes and Lemina put in a good shift, Semedo aside from switching off for the goal was decent. That's about it really. Hard to build anything without a focal point, and Chiwome top looked like a deer in headlights again, through no fault of his own I will add.

If we can start with a Cunha, Sarabia and RAN front three on Saturday we hopefully won't look so toothless.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do feel we are carrying a few players who are either lacking confidence or just up to it at the moment as we gave the ball away sloppy so much especially in our own half creating ourselves problems...

I don't want to single him out to much but Hugo Bueno doesn't look the same player who came into the side last season not sure what has happened but looks like he has gone backwards in his development.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We didn’t play particularly well but it is what it is at the moment; we’ve got shattered players and no real attacking threat so we probably are currently on a par with teams like Burnley, sadly.

Can’t fault the effort at all.

A few strange selection decisions and a few strange subs but I’m not sure anything we had at our disposal would have really done a lot.

colincameron

Reaction score
Burnley just edged proceedings, but that was to be expected really. We look low on energy and confidence, especially in the final third, and they're fighting for their lives. I would have taken a point before the game.

Semedo was at fault for their goal but was Ok otherwise. Liked the performances from Gomes, Sa and RAN. At the other end of the spectrum not sure what to make of Bouby. Doherty was dreadful IMHO. Not Sarabia's best game but without him we lose that game.
Was he to blame though? I thought he had a grasp on his man all the way, runner came in round the back from deep. Surely that's down to doc (who was well out wide) or one of the DMs (who were both stood in the edge of the box) to track back.

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
However many injuries we have, there’s no excuse why 11 professional footballers repeatedly pass the ball straight to the opposition.

Some composure and attacking intent (not ignoring the young lad in the gold shirt because he is young would help) and we’d have won tonight.

As it was, they look knackered and the end of the season can’t come soon enough

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought we played well given Burnley were lively and and in the ascendancy, Pleased for Chimwome finding his feet - 70 mins will do him the world of good. Wonderful player we have in Ait-Nouri, if Salah misses one no one minds as he gets another which RAN did briliantly. We are on the home strech and we can still make it interesting but we have to be sensible given our shortage of numbers, well done to GON, measured it about right even if it took Sa to have a good night to bring home a good point. Mario unlucky with a great header.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The lad up front really struggled. It's a baptism of fire for all of them - Chirewa, Fraser, Chiwome. None of them should be in this position. It's unfortunate. Even Silva would have offered more. Impossible to predict four injuries to four forwards, but hopefully Cunha can start on Saturday after the run-out tonight.

Thought RAN was superb, Gomes and Lemina put in a good shift, Semedo aside from switching off for the goal was decent. That's about it really. Hard to build anything without a focal point, and Chiwome top looked like a deer in headlights again, through no fault of his own I will add.

If we can start with a Cunha, Sarabia and RAN front three on Saturday we hopefully won't look so toothless.

Not sure I’d agree with your comment about RAN. Think he was excellent first half for the most part, but as the second half wore on, he tired and got more and more sloppy. He’s probably not a 95min type of player to be fair, but with our injuries, had to play out the game.

Reactions: Ned

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was hoping we'd eek out a few wins regardless of our injuries before season's end, but now I'm fearing the worst in that respect.

That XI on paper today has to be the worst of the FOSUN PL era.

Cunha back will help but we can't just rely on him to hit the ground running. It's going to be a real struggle now until May, and it was totally avoidable.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not entirely sure this is fair on Chiwome. The lad was putting himself about, showing for the ball and making runs all night but was largely ignored.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON having a bit of a pop. Club were warned by GON and Hobbs that squad was being overloaded and we were thin on forwards so injuries could be a problem. Club weren’t in a position to move in January
Where are these comments mate? Can’t see anything.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think Burnley deserved to win, but I'm grateful we got a point away from home.

We can't have line ups like that and expect to beat most championship teams let alone premier league opposition, now matter how much they are struggling. I'm glad RAN has found some goalscoring form, he's keeping our season going at the moment.
There is still plenty of games left but we need the proper forwards back.

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where are these comments mate? Can’t see anything.
He was on Sky Sports about ten minutes ago. Looked quite dejected to be honest. Said he’d like to be pushing on but can’t due to the situation with injuries.

Think he was biting his lip a bit. Mentioned RAN has now missed two 1on1s

colincameron

Reaction score
Not entirely sure this is fair on Chiwome. The lad was putting himself about, showing for the ball and making runs all night but was largely ignored.
Don't think the more senior pros trusted him on the ball enough. Lemina fizzed one into his feet early on and it didn't stick, seemed a bit frustrated to say the least, from then on it looked like they'd only play it to him as a last resort, which affected our fluidity obviously, thought he worked hard though like you said yourself. RAN should have cut it back to him for a tap in too!...

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm taking that given how depleted we are. Could've won with that Ait Nouri chance but Sa made several good saves. Think a point is about right and good to see Cunha come on and look bright enough

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Impossible to predict four injuries to four forwards.
I count 3 forwards.
Bellegarde is as much a forward as RAN is shame he is out but I'm not sure he would have made much difference now.
Hwang was injured for most of January and Neto was coming back from an injury. It is a horribly predictable scenario that we just have to ride out. Think we are over the worst of it now though.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Burnley the worst home record in the league and we are fortunate to come away with a point
I get we've got injuries and tiredness but tactically again GON sometines he gets lucky, he got lucky tonight that Sa has a good game
We've had a good season but long term tactically he worries me

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s Gaz’s letter of resignation then.

Wonder who comes in next?

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Summer is going to be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom