Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Burnley (H) Pre-Match Thread!

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
IMG_5693.jpeg

IT’S MAAAAAAATCHDAAAAAAYYYYYY!!

Here we go again. After a disappointing but not unexpected loss the weekend, the boys are back under the Molineux lights for another crack at three points.

A lot has been made of how tough our home games have been up to now, but Burnley coming to town is the first time we probably go into a home game as favourites this season. It will be interesting how we cope with that. Burnley like to attack and that should give us space to play, but we’ll need to start a lot better. Going 1-0 down in the first ten minutes is a terrible habit, it’s gotta stop.

In terms of line-up, I guess Gomes and Lemina will come in to the midfield after their weekend off. As long as Sa is OK those two coming in will probably be the only changes. I’d personally like to get Sarabia in the team somewhere, but I reckon Gary will go,

Sa
Kilman Dawson Toti
Semedo Gomes Lemina Bueno
Bellegarde Cunha Hwang​

Bentley, Doherty, Bueno, Doyle, Traore, Sarabia, Chirewa, Sasa, Fabio

Tonight is the first part of a big double header, with Notts Forest to come on Saturday. A win tonight would be brilliant and take us into that game in a really good place. We’ve lost 3 out of 4 but 2 of those were to shocking last minute penalty decisions.

Whether you’re following from Wolverhampton, across the Black Country or across the world, enjoy the game and let’s get those three points lads!

COYW!

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think I’d be tempted to play S Bueno on the right of a 3, with kilman to left of Dawson as the central cb. Then play Toti at LWB as H Bueno doesn’t quite look fit/sharp imo.

Lemina and Gomes have to come back in and I think the front 3 (Bellegarde, Hwang, Cunha) pick themselves with what is available.

Hoping for a convincing victory rather than a tight on - it’s been a while since we’ve won comfortably.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have often struggled against Burnley in the past, but Kompany's Burnley is a much different outfit to the Dyche ones, which were more physical.
We may be favourites tonight, but we shouldn't take Burnley lightly. Look what happened at Sheffield a few weeks ago! Even allowing for the late 'penalty' in that game, we were second-best most of the second half, having failed to capitalise when on top in the first.
Burnley may be in the bottom three, however, they have been getting plaudits for their play which has often gone unrewarded. Let's hope that's the case tonight. They got a huge confidence-boost on Saturday with 5 goals, albeit against 10 men for the majority of the game.
No game in the Prem is easy, but surely, this is a match where, if we apply ourselves correctly, we should be able to win!

Last edited:

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will be very interesting to see if we go with a back 3 or 4.
The absence of RAN, and Bueno just getting back from injury, plus being at home against supposedly weaker opponents ; it really does give them the justification to go to a back 4 if that’s our intention for the future.

Reaction score
Stating the bleedin’ obvious, but we need to start on the front foot, not chase the game like we have lately after going a goal down early.
Cunha is class, and if Hwang can get firing again with ammo from Bellegarde, we should be fine.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think Hugo Bueno will play as a wide left midfielder with Toti at LB in a 4 and people will still think it's a back 5 and moan about Semedo not playing like a WB.
It’s a flexible system. At times a 4 at times 5/3.

If it were a genuine back 4 I think the clue would be Dawson being on the right and Killman on the left.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Wolves fans visiting or based in Germany. Match LIVE on German Sky. KO 20:30. COYW!
1701778859708.png

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope all enjoy the evening, which also marks Wolves seasonal Rainbow Laces Fixture.

Pairs of Rainbow Laces will be available in the Fan Zone from 5pm and let’s all strive for equity and send a message, that anyone can be football fans!

And hope the boys can show there might, knowing we have had 3 defeats in the last 4. 4 points at minimum from Tonight and Saturday would be very welcome and put us in a good position to look up and not over our shoulders.

And with Gomes and Lemina both back, will ensure our Midfield has the strength it needs.

Up The Wolves!

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As Jade says in her intro, we need to start quickly. All well and good GON keeps saying this, but time to put it into practice.

I'd start Sarabia over Hwang or Bellgarde. He's got the tools to unlock a tight Burnley defence and he deserves a start.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This is a good test on where O'Neil has got to

We've generally played strong opposition at home (Brighton, Newcastle, City, Liverpool, Spurs and Villa) and weaker away

So this might be the first game whee you'd say we expect 3 points. Anything less would be a failure.

Can he adapt to that? Is all the good work we've seen so far transferable to this type of match.

Feels quite pivotal. Win tonight and everyone will feel positive about the start to the season, the manager, the squad etc

Fail to win and it will be very frustrating

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really looking forward to this one. Burnley having picked up a huge win could work in our favour as they aren’t crying out as much for Charity FC.

I fancy goals tonight, Burnley aren’t Dyche’s Burnley. Both of us attack and both of us struggle to defend.

Could be a thriller.

Could be rubbish after all that.

geowolf

Reaction score
Well we’ve got some goals in us now so we should win, but we desperately need to start controlling matches. I was very disappointed at Fulham and hope we grasp the initiative tonight right from the ko. If not then Burnley are well capable of dominating possession.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
For those in the UK it's on Amazon Prime.
Thanks Rabid. I was wondering which channel is showing tonight's game.
German Sky show games from UK Sky, TNT and Amazon, so are very fortunate here.
This season, we can choose between German or English commentary too which is nice of them.

Last edited:

Severnup

Groupie
Reaction score
Thanks Rabid. I was wondering which channel is showing tonight's game.
German Sky show games from UK Sky, TNT and Amazon, so were are very fortunate here.
This season, we can choose between German or English commentary too which is nice of them.
We are on tv 5 times on various channels in the coming weeks.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not reading too much into Burnleys win at the weekend. They are still a lot lot worse than us

Let do this
I hope to God you’re right!!

However this is the archetypal game that we lose. As I said elsewhere, I would read a lot into their result on Saturday. A team breaking out of a bad run of results generally go on to get a few more immediately thereafter!!

And we can usually be relied upon to oblige any team in those circumstances!!

Been watching football for a long time and unfortunately these trends do exist, not got a good feeling :(

Let’s hope we can buck the trend.
COYW

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am nervous for tonight. We always make it super duper easy for Burnley by conceding a stupid goal in minute 5 and then fall for every time wasting trick in the book.
We need to be aggressive and go for them early as nice as beating spurs and city is it will mean nothing without getting points on the board tonight

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All very well and good raising our game aginst the big guys, If we don't start getting the most of these sorts of games, we could be in the **** in 7 games or so. A Win please tonight. Please.

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves XI: Bentley, Semedo, Kilman, Dawson, Toti, H.Bueno, Lemina, Gomes, Sarabia, Hwang, Cunha.

Subs: King, S.Bueno, Doherty, Doyle, Traore, Chirewa, Bellegarde, Silva, Kalajdzic

Back
Top Bottom