Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bull v Neves

ws1wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I was having this discussion the other day, wolves fans of a certain age will likely have Steve Bull as a huge hero if theirs, certainly he was one of mine growing up.

Although There have been several players since then and now who I’ve had an affinity for none quite so much as our new Skipper, his passion and shear quality makes him a new kind of hero in my eyes, genuinely hope he signs a new contract and stays, to see him lift a trophy with us would be amazing.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember during the Bully years, there was always this fear that we'd lose him. Surely he'd leave at some point. With his quality, he was destined to the biggest stage possible. Yet he stayed...
I havent had that feeling since. Surely there have been good players, that I didnt like to see leave. But most were replaceable. Neves to me is on a different level. Sure, he can be replaced as a player. But it will not be easy. And as well as his attributes, what he represents, the way he conducts himself, the way he's adopted the city and the club, and forever left his mark in the hearts of all of us with all his years of dedication and pure genius on the pitch. He is forever a legend in the same cathegory as Bully, and I feel blessed to have lived in a time, where I've seen them both in the flesh playing for Wolves.
Now I dont expect him to stay for his entire career with us. But he's stayed long enough for him, to always be a Wolves legend.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bull all day long.
The context of the situation of the club at the two times is paramount.
As fantastic as neves is , had he left this summer we would have adapted to it well enough.
Bull was the club for a time, provided hope when there was non.
Of course neves is technically the better player, along with many others, but as an icon, legend, fans hero... no one beats Bull.
You’d have to be a younger fan that didn’t watch us then to even consider it.

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Neves is here to lift a trophy, then he will get close to being on the same page as Bully. Otherwise, there is no comparision.
I hope that we are never in another situation to need a hero that means so much like Bully does to those of us that were around at the time..

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bully did it all Neves hasn't done enough to better Bully yet.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was having this discussion the other day, wolves fans of a certain age will likely have Steve Bull as a huge hero if theirs, certainly he was one of mine growing up.

Although There have been several players since then and now who I’ve had an affinity for none quite so much as our new Skipper, his passion and shear quality makes him a new kind of hero in my eyes, genuinely hope he signs a new contract and stays, to see him lift a trophy with us would be amazing.
Is this a joke?

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I think you can have different hero's from different era's/decades and Neves is right up their with in my eyes as well,
although from the Doog's era I had many more, actually probably all of them LOL

my list of real hero's in my time. ( waving my walking stick LOL)
Peter Broadbent
Derek Dougan,
Steve Bull,
Neves, (not yet but time will tell )

Coady would have gone on to become the real legend and Hero at the Wolves, like Billy Wright and Ron Flowers { another reason to sack Bruno}

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bull all day long.
The context of the situation of the club at the two times is paramount.
As fantastic as neves is , had he left this summer we would have adapted to it well enough.
Bull was the club for a time, provided hope when there was non.
Of course neves is technically the better player, along with many others, but as an icon, legend, fans hero... no one beats Bull.
You’d have to be a younger fan that didn’t watch us then to even consider it.

I can honestly say your quote is spot on........" but as an icon, legend, fans hero... no one beats Bull." ........, and can add their probably never will again,

Wombat

Groupie
Reaction score

Neves speaks better English though......

IANWILSON

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Bully was God. Grew up watching him score for fun but we move on. Neves is the best player I've seen in all my years down their. If Neves takes us to a cup final or Europe, I'd happily say Neves. 2 different eras and two different leagues etc.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lucky enough to have been able to see Bully play, and no question of his legend status.

Neves is a joy to watch and for those of a younger age he will undoubtedly be hero to them.

While not involved in this topic, the fact I’ve watched Moutinho in a gold shirt for 4 seasons still amazes me.

Me Babbies

Reaction score
I'm totally happy to be proved wrong, but I doubt Neves will ever have a stand named after him....

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was about 14/15 when Bull retired, and for a good few years of my Wolves supporting days he was injured. So whilst I was lucky to see him and certainly loved him, I don’t think I have the same love for him as someone who recalls the 80s or Italia 90 era.

Neves is comfortably the best player I’ve seen in the Old Gold in my lifetime, he’s just next level.

However, I don’t think he’ll ever be able to eclipse the cult status and story of Bully, football is just so different these days. Neves will unfortunately eventually move on from us.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bully was'worshipped' by the fans in the same way The Doog was. Comparing him and Neves is very difficult because of the totally different state of the club when they joined. Bully will always be regarded as the finest goalscorer Wolves have had, and the Magic man will be regarded as one of the finest players ever to wear the gold and black.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bull no question. For those who didn’t get to see him in the 80s and don’t remember the immediate history before his arrival then you it may be lost on you quite how talismanic he was. We were wretched, we weren’t going anywhere and whilst we had a club you couldn’t see it doing anything but languishing in the lower divisions forgotten and dismissed by footballs elite.

Fortunately the pagans of Smethwick decided to cast out the one true deity amongst them and he came to his true church and promptly resurrected our fortunes. The man was a god, for two seasons we’d turn up wondering how many he would score, when not shooting or going for goal his touch was like Hwang, but he could score all types of goals. We were a loud set of fans and numerous for the 4th and 3rd divisions but the majority of our songs were about Bully. It wasn’t just one song it was a whole hymn book, no other player was really sung about other than Jackie Gallagher, and that was more to do with his weight.

Neves is a better player than Bully, he has been magnificent for us. In fact you can say we’ve had a lot of better players than him since and before but we’ve never had a goal scorer like him and quite rightly we have a stand named after him. He made people notice Wolves again, he was talked about, fans from other clubs in the first division would ask about him, he played for England when we were in the third division and he was ours.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have followed Wolves since the fifties but only caught the tail end of Broadbent`s career(by common consent our finest ever player}
The most talented player I have seen was Knowles
but Bully is still a God to me

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bully for me as he saved wolves on his own basically.
Neves though epitomises the new breed. Both legends.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Completely different players, completely different paths so I wouldn’t compare them anyway. As a kid of the late 80s starting my wolves journey, Bully was simply god to me. Neves is undoubtedly a better footballer, maybe even a better human but Bully will always be number 1 for me.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Completely different players, completely different paths so I wouldn’t compare them anyway. As a kid of the late 80s starting my wolves journey, Bully was simply god to me. Neves is undoubtedly a better footballer, maybe even a better human but Bully will always be number 1 for me.
In what way is Neves a better human ?

we love jez moxey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I grew up on the lost city in the years when he was scoring 50 goals a season and made the Italia 90 squad. As much as I love Neves, his fairy tail has a long way to go to match the tatter's!!

Back
Top Bottom