Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

BT Sport and Eurosport to merge

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Pretty big news that seems to have come out of the blue. The rumours were BT were going to bail out completely and sell up to the streaming service DAZN. Instead they've gone into business with one of the biggest global media companies. Warner Bros already run HBO Max (Netflix wannabe), Discovery+ and now this new sports venture.

HBO Max isn't in the UK as HBO instead sell all their programs to Sky (the creation of Sky Atlantic was mostly down to this deal), but it wouldn't surprise me if they do some sort of streaming service in the future that offers HBO Max/Discovery+ and whatever they call this new sports venture in one package.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This means that UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League, the Premier League, Premiership Rugby, UFC, the Olympic Games, tennis Grand Slams featuring the Australian Open and Roland-Garros, cycling Grand Tours including the Tour de France and Giro d’Italia, and the winter sports World Cup season - among many things will all be under one roof.

This is seismic stuff for the sports TV market, and Sky now has a long-term challenger that is more than just well funded!

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Pretty big news that seems to have come out of the blue. The rumours were BT were going to bail out completely and sell up to the streaming service DAZN. Instead they've gone into business with one of the biggest global media companies. Warner Bros already run HBO Max (Netflix wannabe), Discovery+ and now this new sports venture.

HBO Max isn't in the UK as HBO instead sell all their programs to Sky (the creation of Sky Atlantic was mostly down to this deal), but it wouldn't surprise me if they do some sort of streaming service in the future that offers HBO Max/Discovery+ and whatever they call this new sports venture in one package.
HBO will be launching Max when there agreements with Sky run out in a couple of years.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stevie Mac for the Voice over for Dopey in the Seven dwarfs?

W

WasStefan

Was announced a few weeks ago. Big news indeed

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was announced a few weeks ago. Big news indeed

The Joint Venture plan was announced in early Feb after the much publically known talks with DAZN fell through. I bet the Premier League is now heavily regretting not having its usual 3-year rights auction after all!

W

WasStefan

The Joint Venture plan was announced in early Feb after the much publically known talks with DAZN fell through. I bet the Premier League is now heavily regretting not having its usual 3-year rights auction after all!
Don’t think they care much. Rights values are increasing overseas, that’s where the additional value is. Safeguarding UK rights value was a very logical step at the time of the pandemic

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could be good, could be bad, I know Eurosport show a lot of sports that the bigger channels don't touch such as the World Endurance Championship motor racing which I love, would they still broadcast these more niche sports or just the more popular ones? Eurosport is also "free", so I'm guessing that's going

Back
Top Bottom