Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

BT Champions League Launch

W

WasStefan

The good news is if you want to watch Chelsea play the Cypriot Champions in the early stages in November it will cost you a fiver a month. Unless you have a BT box.

http://sport.bt.com/sport-football/news/bt-sport-reveals-champions-league-plans-S11363984692816

Did you not read the section stating 'at least 12 CL games and 16 EL games will be broadcast FREE TO AIR" inc. the final?? All English teams must be broadcast once FTA too.

A similar number were broadcast on ITV last year free to air. Stupid thread

M

MOLINEUXWOLFIE

BT sports is also free if you have a certain fibre package

Urko

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you not read the section stating 'at least 12 CL games and 16 EL games will be broadcast FREE TO AIR" inc. the final?? All English teams must be broadcast once FTA too.

A similar number were broadcast on ITV last year free to air. Stupid thread

Not really it will cost me and a lot others £5 extra a month to watch the same matches i used to be able to watch.

Personally i don't have access to fibre optic and i don't want one of their crappy youview boxes either.

W

WasStefan

Not really it will cost me and a lot others £5 extra a month to watch the same matches i used to be able to watch.

Personally i don't have access to fibre optic and i don't want one of their crappy youview boxes either.

Unless you have Sky (who ARENT dropping their prices after losing the CL in fact they've increased them by £4!)

Blame Sky. Not BT!

As I have said - this deal includes BT having to broadcast an English team at least once (up to 12 games live on Free To Air including the final) as well as EL FTA too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Urko

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unless you have Sky (who ARENT dropping their prices after losing the CL in fact they've increased them by £4!)

Blame Sky. Not BT!

As I have said - this deal includes BT having to broadcast an English team at least once (up to 12 games live on Free To Air including the final) as well as EL FTA too.

I subscribe to Sky and have BT Internet.

We all know why Sky have increased their prices, after paying over the odds for the Premier League rights due to the threat from BT.

Competition at the behest of the EU was meant to reduce the price of subscription football, its had the total opposite effect.

Personally i won't be paying an extra fiver and will most likely ditch Sky Sports, when you work out your annual TV Subscription its a lot of money :eek:

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've got BT Infinity 2 and BT Sport HD included in the internet. Seems I won't be getting the EU matches on this :confused::eek:

UEAwolf

Reaction score
I can't see the small print, but I have BT Sport and Broadband at the moment - will BT Europe be free, or is the £5 charge applicable?

M

Mr Wolf

Yeah like most people it will cost me another £5 on top of the increased Sky price for the same amount of games.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
I can't see the small print, but I have BT Sport and Broadband at the moment - will BT Europe be free, or is the £5 charge applicable?

£5 charge as far as I can see. I'll be sorry to miss the matches, but these extras will be a step too far for us.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I went in to a full Victor Meldrew after receiving a letter from Sky a month after the said there would be no major price rises to cover the total over paying for the Premier League, to be told it was going up £4 a month. I ditched Sky Movies as I did not watch it enough to justify the cost, plus a lot of it is in my dvd collection anyhow.

For those like me who have Sky, you watch next season the Champions League will not exist as they are very good at snubbing anything they do not cover. Perhaps it will mean yet more coverage of the two things Sky Sports are obsessed with Tiger Woods and Glasgow Rangers !

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

From what I can see, you will continue to get BT Sport 1 and 2. If you want the EU matches, you will have to pay £5.

M

MOLINEUXWOLFIE

Thanks for pointing that out Mutchy they have been crafty $$$$$$$s as they haven't included that extra £5 fee in the small print of the advert they've been running!

I won't pay that on top, not for Gary Lineker.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, they've really kicked Sky where it hurts over the last few years in regards of football coverage, but as a consequence its also hit supporters where it hurts the most - in the pocket. Why should anybody have to pay for two subscription services?

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We all know why Sky have increased their prices, after paying over the odds for the Premier League rights due to the threat from BT.

Competition at the behest of the EU was meant to reduce the price of subscription football, its had the total opposite effect.

Personally i won't be paying an extra fiver and will most likely ditch Sky Sports, when you work out your annual TV Subscription its a lot of money :eek:
It isn't competition in the slightest.

They've just created two monopolies to bleed us dry instead of one, BT have a monopoly on the CL and EL whilst Sky have pretty much a monopoly on the PL and Football League.

If they wanted to create competiton between them, they'd have said there can be no exclusivity then they would be forced to directly compete against each other on price or quality of coverage potentially showing the same match.

You can't call BT's TV offering as a whole competitive anyway, at the very least they should have been made to improve the wider package as a condition to stop the now likely scenario of people being forced to pay more for something they already.

D

Deleted member 4309

Bt youview has cone on leaps and bounds over the last 12 months and will only get bigger and better. I pay just over 40 quid for infinity, evening and weekend calls and all the extra channels and netflix. To call it crappy is a joke.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, they've really kicked Sky where it hurts over the last few years in regards of football coverage, but as a consequence its also hit supporters where it hurts the most - in the pocket. Why should anybody have to pay for two subscription services?
They've really hurt Sky... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32392150

All its done is hurt us, the consumers, by creating another monopoly.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Exact same package and exact same intention Urko

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing that a good stream cannot fix....
Why, Just why do channels not think we can obtain a stream with a HDMI or apple TV/Raspberry box wont do connected to your TV.
Think they need to get with the times...

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
The Champions League is the dullest competition up until the knock-out stages anyway. As long as the Final is free-to-air, I'm not bothered in the slightest.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bt youview has cone on leaps and bounds over the last 12 months and will only get bigger and better. I pay just over 40 quid for infinity, evening and weekend calls and all the extra channels and netflix. To call it crappy is a joke.

What do you get on BT youview?

M

Mr Wolf

The Champions League is the dullest competition up until the knock-out stages anyway. As long as the Final is free-to-air, I'm not bothered in the slightest.

Agree, there might be one or two matches where teams get put in the same group but other than that it's generally $$$$. I might review my subscription come Feb when the KO begin.

What about the highlights?

G

GNLwolf

Agree, there might be one or two matches where teams get put in the same group but other than that it's generally $$$$. I might review my subscription come Feb when the KO begin.

What about the highlights?

I might be wrong but I think ITV are doing a highlights show each week

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aslong as i can see the hightlights on iTV of the early group stages and hopefully watch a few free games in the quarter, semis and the final i'm not too bothered about the rest.
I love the cl but it doesn't really get too interesting till the later rounds.
Dont care about europa league at all, that competition is so dragged out and it didnt even get interesting in the later stages last season.

Chungster

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you genuinely love football, cancel your subscriptions today.

Save money. Save the game.

Win. Win.

UEAwolf

Reaction score
I don't mind paying £5 p/m - that's acceptable. I'd never pay Sky's prices.

For clarification, if you are a BT sport customer and agree to sign up to a new 18month contract, the BT Europe channel will be free. If you don't want to do this, you will still get BT Sport 1 for free (the so called 'sport lite package').

Alternatively, if you still want the BT Europe channel but don't want to sign up for 18 months, the cost is £5 - same as new customers.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Champions League before the knock out stages has more filler than my old Mini Clubman ! Agree totally with Mr Wolf may look at perhaps subscribing once the Groups have ended. Knowing BT as I do, I did 14 years there and when it comes to charging they have more extras than Ben Hur it will be probably be more than a fiver.

I will be interested to see if the coverage of Serie A and Bundesliga is moved from their other channels and put on this new one.

S

Space Wolf

Personally over the last few years I've preferred BT Sport. They show a much wider range of football from France, Germany, Italy, Portugal and the Europa League.

It makes Sky's range of football seem pretty threadbare in comparison. Even more so now the Champions League is on BT too.

G

Guido Fawkes

Is this £5 monthly charge applicable to Virgin Media customers?

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't mind paying £5 p/m - that's acceptable. I'd never pay Sky's prices.

For clarification, if you are a BT sport customer and agree to sign up to a new 18month contract, the BT Europe channel will be free. If you don't want to do this, you will still get BT Sport 1 for free (the so called 'sport lite package').

Alternatively, if you still want the BT Europe channel but don't want to sign up for 18 months, the cost is £5 - same as new customers.

That'll do. Can't knock BT for the internet, they've been brilliant.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The biggest irony in this thread is the use of the term 'free to air' when referring to a subscription service!

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I loathe BT as a company and use non of their services, even though ultimately my line rental goes to them via another provider. At some piointpeople will wake up and realise that the insidious line rental increases, hidden charges are paying for the football coverage whether you watch football or not.

It won't be long until coverage on BT is no longer free for anybody. I will probably watch the free to view games, certainly won't subscribe, definitely won't ever subscribe to their ridiculously priced Broadband. Let's be honest you can watch any European game you want online.

D

Deleted member 4309

Ridiculous priced broadband mine is 40 quid all in with tv, netflix and phone calls. I thought that was cheap.

Back
Top Bottom