Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because a back 4 is 4..... When chasing the game we have a back 3..... Thats 3!!!! The wingbacks push on.....

3 is less than 4 last time I looked
Yes the wing backs are supposed to push on but to what effect? There’s no denying in the last year or so we’ve been at our best going forward with a back 4 and that was even without Raul ( Not including the first 3 game this season )

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lage might last a season but I geneuinely cant see him getting into a second season at Wolves.

It's one thing the players having a massive off day. It happens.
Its Lage's reaction (or more precisely his lack of reaction) to games turning the wrong way that is bothering me.
FOSUN will be on look out for a replacement I am sure.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The numbers in the formation don't count for that much. It's how players move, as much as anything. In our case, it's "not much movement" and hasn't been for ages. Not off the ball, intelligent, defence stretching runs, not to the level a top half premier league team should aspire too. It was noticably different in those first 3 games, though, so they can do it.
Quite agree and for those reasons we are for the majority of the time, oh so predictable. We never change the approach play, never get a midfielder running ahead of the attack, we have no surprise element, everything just seems methodical and laboured most of the time.

People seem to be crying out for another striker and a defender. Imo forget those positions and get 2 midfielders, one with the legs to get up and down and the other to rough up the opposition and thread balls through the channels for Raul and Hwang.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite agree and for those reasons we are for the majority of the time, oh so predictable. We never change the approach play, never get a midfielder running ahead of the attack, we have no surprise element, everything just seems methodical and laboured most of the time.

People seem to be crying out for another striker and a defender. Imo forget those positions and get 2 midfielders, one with the legs to get up and down and the other to rough up the opposition and thread balls through the channels for Raul and Hwang.

I'm thinking that too. Watching other teams, Palace today good example, just shows what we're missing. A midfielder who can break forward, as well as do the clearing up work.

The only reason I think we need a forward is because with only 2 actual goal scorers (excluding Neto as injured) - 1 of which is on loan, the other still on the way back from serious injury, it just feels vulnerable to me. A goal scoring midfielder would solve both problems!

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He got it badly wrong today but the players didn’t exactly to their bit either.

I’m not going to judge him too much until he’s got his own players but I’m not seeing enough change anymore.

I genuinely have reservations about the players fitness levels. Again, not really Bruno’s fault as such, as it’s hard to go from the team with the lowest running stats to a high press and high tempo team straight away but we look like we are stuck between two philosophies. It’s Bruno’s philosophy I prefer but we aren’t seeing enough of it.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I'm prepared to give Lage time. It's been a bit hot and cold so far, but it's not his squad. The lack of change during the games is a little worrying but the players are also partly to blame for that. It's strange how we can be so good at other times and so bad at other times. Mind you, watching Brighton tonight against Newcastle, decent first half, absolutely awful second half, no pressure, no urgency, zero cutting edge. That's football. The very best teams are good because they're so consistent.

I think there's a lot more to come from Bruno and he needs a few windows to build his team. For those of you missing Nuno, here's Bruno's post match thoughts that are very much dominated by "winning duels." Just like the good old days!

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm thinking that too. Watching other teams, Palace today good example, just shows what we're missing. A midfielder who can break forward, as well as do the clearing up work.

The only reason I think we need a forward is because with only 2 actual goal scorers (excluding Neto as injured) - 1 of which is on loan, the other still on the way back from serious injury, it just feels vulnerable to me. A goal scoring midfielder would solve both problems!
Yes definitely, a Bruno Hernandez type would be the obvious solution but I appreciate they are not cheap or easy to find but a player in that mould. Somebody that drives at the defence and is prepared to give and get on the end of a return.

Just doesn’t seem to be many of that type around nowadays. A lot of midfielders seem to think there’s an electric fence the other side of the attack, especially ours. I have always been a fan of that style of play though because it forces defences to come out and if you have the players in front of you like Raul and Hwang, I am convinced we would score a lot more goals.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A massive downgrade on nuno.
The guy has no class. His actions during the minutes silence were an embarrassment. Stood there with his hands in his pockets looking round the crowd. Show some respect.

At least he didn't boo.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm prepared to give Lage time. It's been a bit hot and cold so far, but it's not his squad. The lack of change during the games is a little worrying but the players are also partly to blame for that. It's strange how we can be so good at other times and so bad at other times. Mind you, watching Brighton tonight against Newcastle, decent first half, absolutely awful second half, no pressure, no urgency, zero cutting edge. That's football. The very best teams are good because they're so consistent.
Good point about Brighton. It's not just us. Also , the very best teams have the strongest squads. They have genuine alternatives raring to go, if something is working. It's not a position we, or most of the league, are in, though. We haven't fielded our best XI for over a year. And that isn't unusual, either.

Often, it's about the other team as much as it us. The Everton match was an even more blatant example. Their initial set up just didn't work against ours. Benitez made changes around 35 minutes, when they were already 2 down. And sorted it properly at half time. The change in our performance in that match (from very good to just about hanging on) was down to the opponents changes.

The main thing I'm not sure about with Bruno is that he doesn't seem to react very well to the changing flow of a match - let alone anticipate it. Of course "what do we know"...but sometimes it looks so obvious, most can agree on what they are seeing. Commentators can see it too, the crowd can see it, only Bruno and his staff can't or are frozen with fear or something. Like today, they were saying you could sense the Palace goal coming before it did. Also, our lack of initiative, not getting enougg bodies forward. Sometimes things are not obvious, but at our worst, it really isn't rocket science to see where it's going wrong! And Bruno mostly does nothing. I was actually surprised he brought substitutes on as early as 65 minutes today. Though probably stiull 10 minutes too late, in previous matches he's left it a lot later than that.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lage might last a season but I geneuinely cant see him getting into a second season at Wolves.

It's one thing the players having a massive off day. It happens.
Its Lage's reaction (or more precisely his lack of reaction) to games turning the wrong way that is bothering me.
FOSUN will be on look out for a replacement I am sure.
It all depends on what they expect Bruno to accomplish. Maybe the are happy with him. His salary is about £4m, ( I think).
Molineux is sold out and unless we do well in the CL, (which would be at least a season away), there won’t be any extra money coming in from Molineux.
Winning the FA cup, including the rounds, will give the winners about £3m. ……if we win it. Not very much, is it? An extra £2m for each league spot. So we might finish 10th. or above but it could be 15th.

So maybe not much point in putting more money in……diminishing returns and all that. Wolves can’t squeeze any more money from football…….at least for now. (This a transfer free post as they are too unpredictable).
So maybe Lage stays.

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno is the man.

Stitched up in the summer window. We’ve seen the potential of the team under his tutelage. Hope the club backs him in January and summer 2022 and he can start to shape the team in his vision.

His lack of transfer kitty should not stop him making positive tactical ‘in-play’ changes to try influence a game before we are losing. He is completely ‘meh’.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

I'm stunned at some of the comments against Lage on here. We're supposed to give managers time to bed in, and at least a few windows so they can get the squad they want. Considering how awful we were last season with pretty much the same team, I think Lage is doing well so far.
I think everyone knows my position on the previous manager - but I agree. Bruno is here know and we’re in a good position in the league.

Bruno has shown signs and flashes of something great but he’s been condemned to use last years team - we have to give him time.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that naturally results from having too little control of the game. We want to slow the game down to give us a breather, and as Moutinho tends to collect a booking earlier on that hampers him, we start proactively trying to get the opposition on yellows as well.

The inability to create a clear chance increases the desperation for the ref to award us a penalty or free kick in a dangerous position. In the opening 3 games we weren't going after the referee as far as I recall.

I agree , I think it all changed after the Brentford game when I truly believe Bruno looked at it and thought... " Ok, so thats how you grind out a result in the Premier league".

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're now 11 games in and I'm still not sure what his tactics are. Go gung ho and pepper the goal or like today, sit back and let them have the ball. We know from last season that does not work and cost Nuno his job. Everton was both sides of Lage's tactics - possession and attack and 2nd half sit back and let them come at us. With the players he has this is not good enough. Do we practice keeping the ball? His substitutions are usually way too late; Traore should have been on a HT and not as a WB. I'm having my doubts about him but we should all wait till January to see who comes in (if anyone) and see where we are in Feb/Mar, hopefully around 10/11th.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Must admit I’m very unsure over Bruno. I honestly don’t think we’re any different to the last 3 years. The first few games suggested we were going to be much higher tempo and free flowing, but since then we’ve been average albeit getting points.

His use of subs is pretty poor, always late and at times baffling. His team selections are often a bit of a head scratcher, I mean how has Boly not played yet and why does he seem to hate Dendoncker. His go to move no matter the situation is to put Podence on first.

Maybe it’s harsh but it sort of feels like we’ve got points because we have good experienced players who know how to play with each other rather than anything Bruno has done. If we’re honest this is still Nunos team playing Nunos way and that’s not necessarily a bad thing as for 2 years we were pretty successful, but doesn’t say a lot for the new manager putting his stamp on it

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Must admit I’m very unsure over Bruno. I honestly don’t think we’re any different to the last 3 years. The first few games suggested we were going to be much higher tempo and free flowing, but since then we’ve been average albeit getting points.

His use of subs is pretty poor, always late and at times baffling. His team selections are often a bit of a head scratcher, I mean how has Boly not played yet and why does he seem to hate Dendoncker. His go to move no matter the situation is to put Podence on first.

Maybe it’s harsh but it sort of feels like we’ve got points because we have good experienced players who know how to play with each other rather than anything Bruno has done. If we’re honest this is still Nunos team playing Nunos way and that’s not necessarily a bad thing as for 2 years we were pretty successful, but doesn’t say a lot for the new manager putting his stamp on it
I will give the guy a chance but l have seen precious little thus far to make me understand why Fosun seemed so desperate to get him.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will give the guy a chance but l have seen precious little thus far to make me understand why Fosun seemed so desperate to get him.

I actually thought his appointment was all to do with nurturing Fabio Silva and getting him to be the focal point of the team.
Silva is rarely sighted these days.
Its still early days and Bruno seems to know what he wants judging by his sound bites before and after games BUT his demeanour and game management during the match don't fill me with confidence.... he looks like a rabbit in the headlights.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still dont think he is the man we should have gone for, but he hasnt been backed in key areas yet either. I'm still of the opinion after Nuno we should have been much more thorough trying to replace him.

D

Deleted member 12607

We're now 11 games in and I'm still not sure what his tactics are. Go gung ho and pepper the goal or like today, sit back and let them have the ball. We know from last season that does not work and cost Nuno his job. Everton was both sides of Lage's tactics - possession and attack and 2nd half sit back and let them come at us. With the players he has this is not good enough. Do we practice keeping the ball? His substitutions are usually way too late; Traore should have been on a HT and not as a WB. I'm having my doubts about him but we should all wait till January to see who comes in (if anyone) and see where we are in Feb/Mar, hopefully around 10/11th.
His tactics are to get to Jan and buy some of his own players. Totally down to Jeff this part. (Sorry jeff, I know potting shed did the lawn the other day, tell them cowboys they are cutting it too short by the way, but sort the midfield out FFS)

However. There is no excuse for not changing it at HT. it obviously wasn’t working so change it. Adama at wing back was trie by Nuno, didn’t work then either.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There’s a lot of good points in this thread.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who else can they afford? To me, at the time, it seemed a rush.
Its kinda like buying a car….we all want the super expensive luxury car but common sense prevails and we get a good car….but not as expensive.
You get what you pay for.

As much as I dislike Spurs and Levy, I was a tad jealous of them when I read the list of coaches on their list. Ambitious. Full stop. Big stadium.

The next generation of Messis, Ronaldo’s, Haalsnds etc are out there but so is the next Peps, Sir Alecs, Klopps etc.
But they need experience. It’s safe to assume that Nuno is now a vastly wiser and better coach after 3.5 seasons in the PL.
But maybe Bruno doesn’t have enough experience ………yet. Someday he may lead a club to greatness.

But, imo, a great coach in the making, after 11 games , would never allow his team to perform like today…..time after time…..again and again.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would love to know , LOVE to know, how we watch palace all week analyzing matches , our previous matches at selhurst park , and think 3 at the back is the solution to the win the match.

You have to play 3 in midfield. You have to take the game to them.

It isn’t rocket science.

Absolutely shameful from Bruno today at half time when he failed to change it

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think I got carried away in the week.

I don't think he's any good. Spoofing it. Winning in spite, not because of. My optimism after Everton was misguided.
The tactics are fine at Home. But we haven’t played wel away from home once when teams are on the front foot and don’t let us control the ball

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think I got carried away in the week.

I don't think he's any good. Spoofing it. Winning in spite, not because of. My optimism after Everton was misguided.
I said before the Everton game that I was dreading it and that I thought we might lose 4 or 5 in a row but like you, I too felt better after the win and was optimistic before today’s game.
Oh well…….

JohnMatrix

Groupie
Reaction score
What a load of rubbish. Clearly we had the correct players to play that way, because we were playing that way! That's nothing to do with not scoring. The reason we didn't score is players missed chances, but at least we were getting them. We created nothing in open play today that I can remember, not a single attempt in open play. I could understand it against Man City maybe, but Palace? Unacceptable
If you can't score in 70+ chances you haven't got the players to execute that style. Keep kidding yourself if you like, Liverpool, citeh, Chelsea or Tottenham would have scored 15 plus goals for the amount of shots in those games under that style.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We had another Brentford basically. We never have dealt very well with teams that have high energy and bully us physically. Burnley and West Ham are another 2 that did it to us last year.

Apart from a couple of exceptions, individually we are too lightweight in these situations. We have more of a continental set up/appearance, where the game is more strategical and less physical imo.

That’s why we always seem to struggle in these games. Perhaps players like Boly and Dendoncker should start these games to at least even up the muscle a little bit.

JohnMatrix

Groupie
Reaction score
But surely we do have the players because it was working bar the finishing. On another day our attackers would have buried our chances and surely weren’t going to keep missing, especially now Raul is up to speed. Now you could say we perhaps don’t have to correct players/squad to sustain it.
If you aren't scoring it isn't working, you're in denial unfortunately. If you have 70 plus chances and can't score something is wrong. Raul isn't up to speed even now, he is getting there.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno v Bruno
Nuno played half a game , sometimes only 30 minutes. It was a very clever use of a small squad.
Look at our squad , look at our bench , we can’t play “full on “ football for game after game .
Our squad needs to expand so we can see real alternatives on the bench , if we are to have any chance of a top 8 position .

Last edited:

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Overall I think it was right to release Nuno as Nuno was looking very stale and drained.

After 5 league games I was very positive on Lage even with W1 D0 L4 because we had played very well in 4 of those games so when loads were saying we will get relegated I was saying lets see where we are after 10 games. Now we are on W5 D1 L5 and 8th so a healthy points tally but I have more doubts about Lage now than I did after 5 games.

Play seems to be Jeckyll and Hyde alternating between brilliant and bang average. Everton brilliant 1st half bang average 2nd half. Palace mediocre all game. Villa brilliant after 80 minutes, average beforehand.

It does bother me that Lage cant seem to see the problems before they actually happen. I mean could anyone really not see that opening Palace goal coming at least 10 minutes before it happened? Lage was sitting on his hands while it was obvious that a straight replacement of Trincao for Adama would have given us an outlet and would likely have changed the dynamics. Palace were not brilliant as some are saying, we were just poor and basically just didnt turn up.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
In my opinion Bruno needs a season to get in the players he wants. I am confident that if backed financially, he will change the approach to games such as yesterday’s.
Yes, there’s been enough signs so far that he can get us playing an exciting attacking brand of football but at the minute he’s restricted by the players he has. Fosun need to support their man in the transfer window and let him find the players he needs to improve us.

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have had one decent 45 mins in the last 5 or 6 games. We completely changed tack 5 games into the season throwing all the pre-season work into question. Now we have no real identity as a team. We dither with the substitutes and rarely take the initiative to change the course of a game.
I like Bruno, the player's like Bruno but is he a strong leader? Is there any grit there? Look at his demeanor in that video when he was being shown around the club, during the minutes silence, in his interviews. Does it say confidence? Does he really project authority? I am genuinely concerned, and given the players we have I don't think we ought to be.

Back
Top Bottom